Greta Van Fleet

Ace Nova

On 4/18/2018 at 12:03 AM, ZoSoRose said:

I love Plants current voice. It changed, but aged really well

I agree.  For a 70 yearold man to still sound like that is nothing short of amazing.   I hope he comes around again....hopefully with Page but even without, it would be cool seeing him again.

Edited by Kasanova King

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I agree.  For a 70 yearold man to still sound like that is nothing short of amazing.   I hope he comes around again....hopefully with Page but even without, it would be cool seeing him again.

I love his live shows. Seen him 3 times and each gig was amazing. Id love to see him with Page and Jones, but aive accepted it won't happen. It isnt his fault Page didnt continue doing things after the 2007 reunion

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bands like this come and go every now and then. I remember when some thought Wolfmother and The Darkness will save rock. I hope Greta won't end up like those one trick ponies. They have a great singer though. Loved their cover of Rolling in the Deep and A Change is Gonna Come.

7 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Bands like this come and go every now and then. I remember when some thought Wolfmother and The Darkness will save rock. I hope Greta won't end up like those one trick ponies. They have a great singer though. Loved their cover of Rolling in the Deep and A Change is Gonna Come.

Both Wolfmother and The Darkness failed to "save rock" cause their follow up albums weren't good. It's not cause of their band type, their sophomore albums just weren't the best

• 2 weeks later...

The kids are alright.

Watch this performance all the way through, something's going on here, and it's good.

I'm going to see these guys in Toronto and I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I'll fly GnR's rubber band airplane to the show....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watched them open a main stage at Rock im Park a few weeks ago. They were great but I still can't get over the fact that I watched a band do Led Zeppelin unreleased b sides. Hope they can find their sound on the album

Edited by Nicklord

A teenage Robert Plant was a huge Small Faces fan, idolized Steve Marriott, hung around their gigs as much as he could.

The Small Faces released this, in 1966. watch it....  musicians wearing their influences on their sleeve isn't always a bad thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zint said:

The kids are alright.

Watch this performance all the way through, something's going on here, and it's good.

I'm going to see these guys in Toronto and I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I'll fly GnR's rubber band airplane to the show....

For as much as the singer gets compared to Plant, he also reminds me a little bit of Gene Ween doing Plant...which is a good thing. Looks like he could be his son, too!

A friend of mine recommended these guys about six to ten months ago.  I love this kind of music and am a huge Zep fan.  But I just can't get past the lead singer's voice.  He does a spot on Plant impression in the lower and mid ranges, but I find his higher range tone to be extremely grating and not at all pleasant to listen to.  I can get through a song or two, but anymore and I find it hard to listen to. 

I've always said that if you're going to heavily borrow someone's sound you need to be as good if not better than the originators.  Wolfmother's first album was a fine example of a band executing on a level that made them worth listening to, even if their sound was heavily borrowed from early 70s rock.  Even late 80s GNR was an evolution on what the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith had done, but the material was as strong if not stronger and included other influences and their own innovations that it made the band undeniable.  I just don't hear any of that in Greta right now.  

Perhaps with successive albums they can find their own identity and their singer can work on his higher range vocals.  Hopefully that happens because there is a lot of potential.   

• Like 2

Wolfmother didn't appeal to me at all. Good band but didn't have the it factor or chemistry (in my opinion).

I find that chemistry with these guys. That was what also originally drew me to GnR as well, they had presence going on.

I'm  a huge Zep fan but that's not what I find appealing about these guys. I like them because there is simmering potential here that COULD take them well beyond the likes of Wolfmother, Airbourne, Jet or any of that comparison stuff going on. I never expected next level stuff from those bands. I sense a potential underlying sophistication here that could bloom into something reeeeally good.

Lots of people hate Geddy Lee's voice, doesn't mean it's bad, just not appealing to everyone...it took him a long way. :)
They've only released an e.p. and an extended e.p. They aren't Zep quality and they would be the first to admit it. The fact that they are on enough of a level that people CAN compare them to Zep speaks volumes.
I don't hear anyone calling, (just throwing this out as an example...) Puddle of Mud the next Zep (I could on and on...wanna to talk about bands that sound like each other these days?).
Robert Plant complimented his voice. Elton John invited them to play one of his events. he said they are the best rock band he's heard in 20 years.
Alice Cooper said this about Greta Van Fleet: "there's a band who said. it's been a long tome since Led Zeppelin was around; let's be Led Zeppelin".

What he means by that, not necessarily as good as, or better than, but potentially on the same playing field where people can be excited (again) by the presence of a band like Zep, Stones, Aerosmith, GnR. 

There's a reason Greta is opening GnR shows like Guns opened Stones shows, they recognize that these guys MIGHT be the ones to take it all next level again. And for that alone, I god love em for it.
They might not, but it's fun to watch it unfold. I hope something comes of it. The clock's ticking on classic rock stadium tours. I view this band potentially carrying the torch to a new generation as a good  thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zint said:

Wolfmother didn't appeal to me at all. Good band but didn't have the it factor or chemistry (in my opinion).

I find that chemistry with these guys. That was what also originally drew me to GnR as well, they had presence going on.

I'm  a huge Zep fan but that's not what I find appealing about these guys. I like them because there is simmering potential here that COULD take them well beyond the likes of Wolfmother, Airbourne, Jet or any of that comparison stuff going on. I never expected next level stuff from those bands. I sense a potential underlying sophistication here that could bloom into something reeeeally good.

Lots of people hate Geddy Lee's voice, doesn't mean it's bad, just not appealing to everyone...it took him a long way. :)
They've only released an e.p. and an extended e.p. They aren't Zep quality and they would be the first to admit it. The fact that they are on enough of a level that people CAN compare them to Zep speaks volumes.
I don't hear anyone calling, (just throwing this out as an example...) Puddle of Mud the next Zep (I could on and on...wanna to talk about bands that sound like each other these days?).
Robert Plant complimented his voice. Elton John invited them to play one of his events. he said they are the best rock band he's heard in 20 years.
Alice Cooper said this about Greta Van Fleet: "there's a band who said. it's been a long tome since Led Zeppelin was around; let's be Led Zeppelin".

What he means by that, not necessarily as good as, or better than, but potentially on the same playing field where people can be excited (again) by the presence of a band like Zep, Stones, Aerosmith, GnR. 

There's a reason Greta is opening GnR shows like Guns opened Stones shows, they recognize that these guys MIGHT be the ones to take it all next level again. And for that alone, I god love em for it.
They might not, but it's fun to watch it unfold. I hope something comes of it. The clock's ticking on classic rock stadium tours. I view this band potentially carrying the torch to a new generation as a good  thing.

I just don't think they have written a hit; they're getting by on their sound.  Not that their material is bad, but nothing like Wolfmother's "Woman" that immediately grabbed people's attention.

Is there anyone calling these guys the next Zep?  I think the comparison to Zep has everything to do with their sound; very little of it has to do with the actual material; so I'm not sure if I'd be ready to give them too much credit at this point.  And Elton John has been notorious for calling a litany of artists the next best great act.  I think I remember Elton saying that Ryan Adams was the songwriter of Adams' generation.  Not disagreeing that there's potential, but I think there's a lot of hype that I'm not sure is justified at this point based solely on the material.  

And I agree about the voice; I'm almost never one to say a vocalist is bad so long as they can hit the intended notes.  For me, Geta's lead singer doesn't have an appealing higher range.  It's less singing, more of a squealing sound.

At the end of the day, it's great too see a younger generation take a stab at being rock n' roll stars.  The current music landscape is far too dominated by pop, hiphop, and EDM.  Rock has taken a back seat for almost a generation now.  But at the same time, I'd like too see a little more originality than what I'm seeing out of the genre.  Simply rehashing another band's sound to gin up attention is one thing but unless they can produce some solid music I don't see Geta (or any other band who does the same) as reaching the echelons of the Stones, Aerosmith, GNR, etc.  All of those bands came out of the gate with strong material.  Granted, some bands are slow starters so hopefully they'll figure things out and put out material that justifies the current praise.  

Highway Tune topped the Billboard Rock charts last year (I think for four weeks?) and Loudwire called it the second best rock song of 2017. It tends to qualify as a hit, to some.

Elton wasn't referring to the next great act, or songwriter, he was saying there were the best rock band he's heard in the last 20 years.

The Stones didn't really  come out of the gate with strong material, mostly a lot of covers from artists who inspired them.

For sure some bands are slow starters, I recall having similar conversations to this when Rush, Kiss, AC/DC first came out, to name a few, (Alice Cooper's first two albums?).

Some are saying they are the next Zep, some are saying they blew GnR off the stage, some are saying it's the live experience that is solidifying that these guys have a future (I have heard that before with a few bands who made it big *cough*).. that's one of the reasons I'm going to see them, I want to see this band live. I want the live experience. Maybe the hype will win the day but whatever is going on, at the moment I like it and I'm just going to enjoy the ride and see where it goes. I hope it does grow and mature. There just seems to be an atmosphere that this is going to quickly lead to arenas. Time will tell I guess.

Two of them are 18 and two are 21 or something like that? And they've got Robert Plant's attention??

On 4/4/2018 at 3:42 PM, Zeppelin said:

Agreed. They better come up with some originality soon, or they're going to pass like a fart in the wind. Then we'll have another one in about a year and a half.

I'm sure they're fun live and talented, but you should actually show that instead of mimicking a sound that's been driven so hard into the ground by other retro rock revival acts. It's so tired even by modern standards.

Upon a second view of them a number of months later it made me actually cringe, too. I mean, even the way the singer stands at the mic, the way he distributed his weight to each leg, the way he holds up his hands and fingers to the side at eye level, is all a Robert Plant copy! It’s like he watches old Zeppelin videos in slow motion and tries to match the look in the mirror. Get some originality, kid. Robert Plant has already been done, a lot better, by Robert Plant! 

On 29-5-2018 at 6:07 AM, Georgy Zhukov said:

Bands like this come and go every now and then. I remember when some thought Wolfmother and The Darkness will save rock. 

I instantly thought of Wolfmother too. They also got the Led Zeppelin comparison of doom.

But to be perfectly honest I think these guys aren't that interesting either. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, username said:

I instantly thought of Wolfmother too. They also got the Led Zeppelin comparison of doom.

But to be perfectly honest I think these guys aren't that interesting either. 

I am sure there's an underground band somewhere that is making great stuff, but the music industry has moved on. 

• 2 weeks later...