Greta Van Fleet

Ace Nova

I never gave these guys a chance when I first heard about them. After seeing them live in Berlin when they opened for Guns, I was very very impressed. Haven't got round to listening to any studio efforts yet, but it's on my to-do list.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:04 PM, Dean said:

I never gave these guys a chance when I first heard about them. After seeing them live in Berlin when they opened for Guns, I was very very impressed. Haven't got round to listening to any studio efforts yet, but it's on my to-do list.

A "pro-shot" from a couple of days ago.  I agree the singer's mannerisms look lifted straight from Plant and he needs his own stage style, but this is a tight, talented band.  A couple of 10-15 minute jams in this set.  

Edited by triad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, triad said:

A "pro-shot" from a couple of days ago.  I agree the singer's mannerisms look lifted straight from Plant and he needs his own stage style, but this is a tight, talented band.  A couple of 10-15 minute jams in this set.  

I was just gonna mention this show. They're starting to get it.

• Like 2

I saw them last night in Toronto, pretty fucking amazing.

People keep saying "see the live show" and it's true. It's a whole different beast when you are in the room.

I've been to a lot of shows in my day, and every once in a while you find you yourself at one of those special gigs thinking "whoah, something's going on here"... Van Halen '79, Black Flag '82, Guns n Roses '91...yeah I know, it was already happening, but this was just before they went stadium huge. In fact...I'll say this, last night's audience is the loudest Toronto crowd I've heard since Guns '91. It was deafening.

These guys are improving by the month. It feels like they are spending their days jamming in between gigs or something. They are tight!

There was no cliché bullshit "hey Toronto, you guys are louder than Montreal was last night, woooo". None of that crap.

Yeah a bit of showboating, playing guitar behind the neck, but he does it well.

These guys are into their craft, they get lost in the music, you can sense it, it's palpable.

These guys don't need Simon Cowell's approval.

The tunes break into jams, really long -good- jams. The musicianship is there, and getting better.

They are finding their own pocket, and people are digging it. The audience range was teens to 60's. It's pretty cool seeing a new band bringing together generations of rock fans.

These guys can command the stage, the presence is there. They don't flaunt it, they know they can play... you just get caught up in the ride.

You can dissect their stuff you've seen on youtube all day, but if they are headlining a club in your area, grab a ticket, even if it's sold out and go watch how these guys tear through some Howlin' Wolf.

You'll be glad you took in the small venue show because this is headed for arenas.

I watched a few thousand people leave there stoked. The buzz was strong and the vibe was good.

I hit the washroom before leaving and I heard some guys saying that the drum solo was every bit as good as John Bonham. Ok, that one made me smile, cuz, well...no. It was good, but not Bonham good. I'll say this, the guy has potential to get close to that flame. 

On a personal note and observation... the last gig I saw there was nuGnR and these guys blew that right out of the stratosphere, easily.

Get yourself to one of these gigs and check the "grrr Zep clones" stuff at the door and go in and check them out for what they are bringing to the table. It's pretty good shit.

Is the longevity there? Remains to be seen, but at the moment, it's a damn good time.

Oh and, bring ear plugs, it's reeeeally loud. Like... 70's Ted Nugent loud.

2.jpg

1a.jpg

Edited by Zint
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Zint said:

New song released at midnight.

I'm interested to see how this single does, because it's a terrific throwback sound! 

Also, I'm :cry: because I had to sell my tix to see them in Pittsburgh Wednesday.  But they're at Lolla in a couple of weeks, so  rock4 .

22 hours ago, triad said:

I'm interested to see how this single does, because it's a terrific throwback sound! 

"In less than 24 hours, Greta Van Fleet's new single shot to No. 1 on iTunes.  The rockers from Frankenmuth, Michigan released "When the Curtain Falls" at midnight on Tuesday, July 17, 2018.  Later in the day, the song jumped to the top of the iTunes rock charts and into the top 40 among all genres."    https://www.mlive.com/music/index.ssf/2018/07/greta_van_fleets_when_the_curt.html

Answering myself.  :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, triad said:

"In less than 24 hours, Greta Van Fleet's new single shot to No. 1 on iTunes.  The rockers from Frankenmuth, Michigan released "When the Curtain Falls" at midnight on Tuesday, July 17, 2018.  Later in the day, the song jumped to the top of the iTunes rock charts and into the top 40 among all genres."    https://www.mlive.com/music/index.ssf/2018/07/greta_van_fleets_when_the_curt.html

Answering myself.  :lol:

A little over 24 hours and the video is closing in on 200,000 views on youtube.

I remember finding out about this band a while ago randomly on youtube. The band swears up and down that they are not copying Led Zeppelin , that most of their influence is from Aerosmith. I seriously wanted to give them a chance and I listened to a handful of their songs...and all I can hear is a group of young kids writing their own songs but trying to be Led Zeppelin while doing it. Their style and sound doesn't speak originality but in the same argument, so many bands in history have done the same thing. But in this day in age, 2018, it just doesn't seem organic or original. Its like they are trying to take Led Zeppelin's sound and reinvent it. Its like how Hollywood keeps rebooting movies that just don't need rebooting and just not coming up with original ideas anymore. I just don't care for this band, it just feels like a total ripoff and as someone else has pointed out, we've already had knock off Led Zeppelin like bands...this just feels like a group of kids listened to the top 40 classic rock station and decided they liked what they heard and went with it....and on a side note...something about the lead singer just makes me want to punch him in the face...he has a very punch-able face, lol

• Like 1

• too derivative for me. you can pull from influences but to me this is just a zep rip off and it's been milked to death already countless of times. they don't have an identity of their own which is really lame. the singer is the worst part of it too. robert plant he is not.

I like them, but their social media posts are so fucking annoying

''Feeling positively invigorated'' ''It's deeply gratifying'' ''We're genuinely euphoric'' etc

Wish they'd stop with the fucking pretentiousness, they sound like those foreign students who've learned English and try to cram as many big words into a sentence as possible :lol: 

''It's with the utmost gratification and extraordinary passion for your euphoric and marvelous musicality that I kindly would wish for you to shut the fuck up :D''

7 hours ago, AslatIE said:

I like them, but their social media posts are so fucking annoying

''Feeling positively invigorated'' ''It's deeply gratifying'' ''We're genuinely euphoric'' etc

Wish they'd stop with the fucking pretentiousness, they sound like those foreign students who've learned English and try to cram as many big words into a sentence as possible :lol: 

''It's with the utmost gratification and extraordinary passion for your euphoric and marvelous musicality that I kindly would wish for you to shut the fuck up :D''

Yes, I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I think the top thing that bothers me about them is the pretentiousness without any originality to back it up.