Greta Van Fleet

Ace Nova

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I agree, it IS much better than Slash's new album. 

I also agree with gnrfanmilo, I find Josh's voice annoying at times. He is in his higher register too much on this album imo. When it matches the sound of the band (harder, faster, etc.) Then he sounds great. But his higher vocals on some of the softer or slower parts, I'm not a big fan of. Which Zoso hit the nail on the head, he sounds more like Geddy Lee. Which I've NEVER like Rush, because I dont like Geddys voice. Plant has more range with his voice than I've heard out of Geddy or Josh.

I'm not necessarily saying he sounds more like Geddy, he still mainly reminds me of Plant most of the time, I meant some of those songs are sort of early Rush sounding. I totally get what you mean, though. He gets scratchy/shrieky in his upper register like Geddy Lee. I love Geddy and Rush but that is definitely an aquired taste. Like Jakes guitar work, I can see room for improvement as he learns to control his voice. 

Overall, the vocals are pretty strong on this record and hebhas a good sense of melody so it's a good kid for me. I get the criticisms with the screechiness because it is totally there.

I was fully expecting not to like this album. Thought they were rip-offs, very talented, but rip-offs. Have had a hard time with all the hype but figured I had to give the album a shot. It's good and I think it'll grow on me. Vocals are sometimes too much though, but I bet I can get over it.

Nice surprise!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 12:42 PM, Nicklord said:

Their album kinda bombed with the critics. They'll need to get away from Led Zeppelin on the next album or they're dead 

Funny enough Led Zeppelin also bombed with the critics. But how relevant are critics anyway? Some of they stuff they've hated has stuck around longer than their platform has, and is now legendary.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

Got my tickets to see them today. All 3 Detroit shows sold out near instantly and scalpers are astronomical for pairs anywhere in the theater (like 150-200 a ticket). I paid 160 for 2 tickets in the last row... They probably haven't earned 80 dollar tickets, but I want to see them while they are still playing theaters and early in their career. Whatever, I got lucky someone was willing to unload them to me for "cheap". 

Based on what i have seen, they rock live but seem to play really short shows. Either way, I'm excited for the gig. 

• Like 1

On November 30, 2018 at 11:42 AM, moreblack said:

Funny enough Led Zeppelin also bombed with the critics. But how relevant are critics anyway? Some of they stuff they've hated has stuck around longer than their platform has, and is now legendary.

Critics definitely don't matter much in a case like this. Zeppelin straight up plagiarized on many instances. They are my favorite group (and GNR), but you can't deny Page shamelessly stole. I am not even talking about the blues songs, but things like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Dazed and Confused were stolen work. The creativity argument against Greta holds up, though. Zeppelin were trail blazers and remain one of the most influential, musically diverse, and creative rock acts in history. Greta will objectively never come close to Led Zeppelin. Its impossible, but that isn't their fault. I hope they develop more of their own sound as they continue.

I also think their branding is a little mismanaged. They seem sort of serious and go for the whole "peace and love our music is so special" angle. That probably doesn't make sense... I don't know how to describe it. Anyways, I think they'd have been better off if they branded themselves as a more fun and easy going band and ease off on the pretentiousness a bit. 

I still stand by what I said earlier in the thread, though. They have more going for them than against them for me imo. They're just going through the awkward beginning phase

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Friend of mine constantly mentions the Zeppelin comparisons. The annoying thing is, he isn't even a Zeppelin fan (might be able to name 5 songs?) and has only heard the radio GVF songs.

Him and I ended up coming to an "agree to disagree" discussion, because my point is that, regardless of whether they sound similar to Zeppelin or not, is that really a bad thing? Not to mention, I do think Anthem of the Peaceful Army they are trying to have a bit more of their own "originality".

Admittedly, it's quite annoying to hear. Their lead singer put it quite well in a recent interview, basically saying people need to get over it and move on.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Friend of mine constantly mentions the Zeppelin comparisons. The annoying thing is, he isn't even a Zeppelin fan (might be able to name 5 songs?) and has only heard the radio GVF songs.

Him and I ended up coming to an "agree to disagree" discussion, because my point is that, regardless of whether they sound similar to Zeppelin or not, is that really a bad thing? Not to mention, I do think Anthem of the Peaceful Army they are trying to have a bit more of their own "originality".

Admittedly, it's quite annoying to hear. Their lead singer put it quite well in a recent interview, basically saying people need to get over it and move on.

They bring the Zeppelin comparisons on themselves. Someone recently showed me their performance of 'When the Curtain Falls' from a late night show, and it's one thing that the singer is a shriek-y Plant impersonator (I thought he sounded pretty bad tbh), but he literally talks with a British accent during the slow part of the song. It's like, fuck off dude, you're from Detroit. I'll admit I haven't heard their album, because I don't want to put myself through that, but the songs I've heard from them are tired or straight-up Zeppelin-y.

They deserve the criticism they get IMO. They're in the same league as Airbourne.

• Like 2

As a fan of them I agree they deserve the criticism and comparissons because they bring it on themselves and then deny them. 

It's CLEAR they know their stuff regarding Zep. On a recent old bootleg they covered Zeppelins cover of Sam Francisco. Id like it much better if they admitted to it

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

As a fan of them I agree they deserve the criticism and comparissons because they bring it on themselves and then deny them. 

It's CLEAR they know their stuff regarding Zep. On a recent old bootleg they covered Zeppelins cover of Sam Francisco. Id like it much better if they admitted to it

Also it's been said a bit Rush sounding

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Saw them for like 1 minute on SNL. Not my kind of music and I really don't like that singer's voice.

The song did remind me of early Led Zeppelin, but not as amazing as their music was and still is.

didn't like their sound at all.

Their SNL performance was very poor I saw them a few weeks ago they were absolutely amazing, I personally think he is sick