Chinese Democracy Is 9 Years Old

An album with such polarizing opinions from everyone who listens to it. Some hate it, some love it. Regardless, Chinese Democracy, released in 2008 is exactly 9 years old as of today. Where has the time gone?

Its almost been a decade since the last album release.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you as well. :P 

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 1

My favourite Guns N' Roses album (GN'R Lies was my favourite before the release - another unpopluar opinion lol) 

But I have to say that this album has not the best production. I don't say it's bad but there are just to many layers and guitarists. 

37 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It has been 20 years since the Chinese Democracy sessions began in August of 1997 (when Duff quit the band). Maybe in Axl's mind Chinese Democracy songs are still new and fresh, but for most fans, these songs are old and tired.

I most certainly love Chinese but I do not consider the songs in any way new. The songs are as vintage as the old material for me after like you said, 20 years of us hearing leaks, performances since 2001, and obviously the album itself. Although these songs are probably new to the 90% of the audience who sees them live this year :P 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

An album with such polarizing opinions from everyone who listens to it. Some hate it, some love it. Regardless, Chinese Democracy, released in 2008 is exactly 9 years old as of today. Where has the time gone?

Sadly I know plenty of people irl who didnt even listen to it and yet somehow hate it.  

Happy Birthday CD!

Although I enjoy BBF, the only little complaint i have is that adding any more guitar - no matter who - was a bit much.  But then again, BBF rips on it.  The rest of the madness produced one gem of an album that revolutionized album production by bringing in movie theatre audio technology and technique among many other strokes of genius.  It was one of the key albums crafted at a pivotal point in recording history that fully merged the substance of pop and rock with the new technological paradigm.  And yet it still managed to have a perfect, analog style mastering.  Its incredible.  To my ears its everything Axl set out to do.  

In as much as NR sounds like 'real gnr' it all sounds like gnr to me

Gonna play the album now.. no, actually gotta do the whole joinery of leaks and live takes!!!!

Thanks @Dexter! What a monumental artistic achievement!

Edited by soon
  • Like 4

It's a great album with it's biggest detriment being all the layers. Listening to them isolated or remixed with some breathing room shows you how good most of the material was. At the moment, I can't stop listening to TWAT with just the bass and drums. Tommy owns that damn song.

I remember waiting for the album with the rest of you on here from 06-08, while others waited even longer. Towards the finish line, it seemed like maybe the label was putting some oomph behind the release what with Body of Lies and Rock Band 2, but it never panned out with any promotion. CD shouldn't have been the first single, Axl should have a bunch of promo considering he had to get people to go into a Best Buy to get it and they shouldn't have the streamed the entire thing on MySpace right before release. Also, Finck quitting in April of that year was probably a devastating blow to Axl.

Hopefully we get new music soon lol

Finck''s departure six months shy of the album's release was then and is now, very puzzling. 

Maybe things weren't in motion at that point, but if they were, you have to wonder what Robin saw that made him get up and go.

Maybe he saw the disaster on the horizion; the album was finally going to come out, but it was going to come out to radio silence and indifference from its creator.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Sadly I know plenty of people irl who didnt even listen to it and yet somehow hate it.  

Happy Birthday CD!

Although I enjoy BBF, the only little complaint i have is that adding any more guitar - no matter who - was a bit much.  But then again, BBF rips on it.  The rest of the madness produced one gem of an album that revolutionized album production by bringing in movie theatre audio technology and technique among many other strokes of genius.  It was one of the key albums crafted at a pivotal point in recording history that fully merged the substance of pop and rock with the new technological paradigm.  And yet it still managed to have a perfect, analogue style mastering.  Its incredible.  To my ears its everything Axl set out to do.  

In as much as NR sounds like 'real gnr' it all sounds like gnr to me

Gonna play the album now.. no, actually gotta do the whole joinery of leaks and live takes!!!!

Thanks @Dexter! What a monumental artistic achievement!

Thanks once again for your insight - didn't know some of those facts about CD production.  And I agree with you: when all is said and done, I do believe CD is fairly representative of what Axl set out to do.  It probably isn't his idea of perfection (nothing ever would be) and he had to make a lot of compromises on his original vision.  I'm almost certain the end result is tamer, more mainstream than he'd have gone for if left to his own devices, but overall, I'd guess he's happy enough with it today.

It's even better now that he's got Slash and Duff playing some of those songs.  I actually wonder if part of the reason why Axl's so damn happy lately is because he'd always imagined Slash playing these songs, all those years ago, and now he's finally getting to hear what that sounds like - and he loves it.  

@DieselDaisy  That's what you call a bleep?  Ah, bless.  I always think of it as the Space Invaders sound.  I have to thank you for choosing my favourite CD song for your bleep.:lol:  Personally, I love the James Bond style horns at 3:10 and also the electronic 'heartbeat' right before the guitars kick in.  My favourite CD 'bleep' (I'm not even being sarcastic) is the bird/insect noise at the beginning of TWAT.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Thanks once again for your insight - didn't know some of those facts about CD production.  And I agree with you: when all is said and done, I do believe CD is fairly representative of what Axl set out to do.  It probably isn't his idea of perfection (nothing ever would be) and he had to make a lot of compromises on his original vision.  I'm almost certain the end result is tamer, more mainstream than he'd have gone for if left to his own devices, but overall, I'd guess he's happy enough with it today.

It's even better now that he's got Slash and Duff playing some of those songs.  I actually wonder if part of the reason why Axl's so damn happy lately is because he'd always imagined Slash playing these songs, all those years ago, and now he's finally getting to hear what that sounds like - and he loves it.  

@DieselDaisy  That's what you call a bleep?  Ah, bless.  I always think of it as the Space Invaders sound.  I have to thank you for choosing my favourite CD song for your bleep.:lol:  Personally, I love the James Bond style horns at 3:10 and also the electronic 'heartbeat' right before the guitars kick in.  My favourite CD 'bleep' (I'm not even being sarcastic) is the bird/insect noise at the beginning of TWAT.

Its always enlightening to hear your insights as well!  Yeah, Axl had some consultants from (i think it was) THX who do a lot of sound design for movies work with his team.  CD, TIL and ITW have some noteworthy movie sound design stuff, like the big ambient bass drums / timpani at start of both CD and There Was a Time are in many movie trailers too.  I agree the end result must be tamer then what he envisioned at one point.  I think with someone like Axl its best that he not tell us stuff about his intentions along the way; that he journey through the creative process before the reveal.  Townsend had a period where he would interact directly with fans and critics via melody maker magazine to collaborate on his work, I dont think that works for Axl.  I think it was good self editing to land where he did (by taking others input).  

I think Duff and Slash plaing that material is a big part of whats making him so happy!

7 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

do we know if they sale more because of the NITLF tour ?

(the most horible cover for a Cd eer !!!!. the bike. what the fuck !!)

It's not even available in the US anymore, not sure about the rest of the world but I'd say no for here.

I was amazed back in 2008 that it was actually coming out, once I got it I remember getting some friends to have a listen but they were very quick to shut it down.

i was a big fan when it came out and for a few years after but now I never listen to it.

when it came out it was great to hear Axls voice again but as the years went by I realised how much of an overproduced mess it really is. If they’d released it back in 2002 I think it would have been better.

• Like 1

I think “scraped” was really underrated at the time, it had so much potential to be a great strait up rocker and axl simply ruined it by shouting “don’t you try to stop us now” 

definayely some of axls best vocal work at the time on the main verses

Edited by megaguns1982
Spelling

Great album. Unfortunately, some people hated it just because Slash is not there. Chinese Democracy is my favorite Album from the band aside with Appetite. Although i prefer the 99 demos...
I bought CD on Day One and, i did not listened any of the leaks from the Antiquiet...

I think it was strange for some people because, it took too long to be released, and nothing happened since Spaghetti Incident(or maybe Illusions?). If the sound had evolved throughout the 1990s with the band releasing new albums between 94 and 2000, and if Chinese was released in 2002 as planned, it would have been much better apreciated imo.

Edited by Guitto