Is "King Fortus" better than Slash? (based on comments on Youtube)

Don't get me wrong, I love Slash and he is my favourite guitar player ever... but Richard Fortus is just outstanding and is blowing the entire world away by his phenomenal guitar playing, style, stage presence and fantastic chemistry with Slash. This is THE BEST guitar combo ever in Guns N' Roses. Ever.

I saw the band twice on the NITL Tour and people around me in the stadiums were like "Woah!" and "What a player!" when Fortus played. It's like his talent exploded to the whole world. He is already a legend. 

On Youtube, we can see tons of comments like "Fortus is better than Slash". It's impressive. Especially from the yonger generation. It seems that Fortus is VERY popular in the new generation. Lots of People even try to make "Fortus covers" on Youtube based on his playing. He is an inspiration for lots of people now. 

What do you think? 

Edited by Sunset Boulevard
  • Haha 2

Buckethead is better than both of them combined :lol:

I think that Richard, Brain and Tommy build the best post-2000 rhythm section for GN'R (yeah, even better than the current one with Duff and Frank).

I also enjoy his work for Love Spit Love and Tommy's solo albums

This has been discussed a lot on here already... technically he's better obviously, Slash isn't the most technical guitarist anyway, but it's really whatever you prefer. Slash has more a distinctive style/tone, and a lot of people prefer that, me included.

I find his style too flashy for just being a rhythm guy, and just like Gilby I'm not liking his songwriting. I'd definitely prefer Gilby or Izzy to be there, but he is the 3rd best choice for sure, I'm just happy it's not Ashba or Robin who survived all these gnr evolutions to end up there today. I changed my mind over the last few weeks and would like to see this lineup record something. It most probably would be good.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

Technically, yeah, but Slash has way way way more feeling or at least used to. 

I like his tone, I like he is not just a shredder like BBF, he is way more into rock n roll and not into some weird trip. He is cool, Ive always been found of him and Im glad he stayed. 

26 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Call me when "King Fortus" comes up with a riff as fantastic as SCOM or Anastasia or a solo as iconic as November Rain or Nightrain.

I won't hold my breath for your call.

Not gonna happen cause GNR will not release music. 

Not sure if trolling or delusional? Fortus "blowing the entire world away"? I dig the guy and he IS a great player, but come on...

He is a great live guitarist and a great session musician and I don't doubt there's new Fortus-fans and it's cool that people appreciate his skills, but I'm pretty sure no one thinks he is a king of anything, let alone a legend.

Edited by jekylhyde

48 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

Not sure if trolling or delusional? Fortus "blowing the entire world away"? I dig the guy and he IS a great player, but come on...

He is a great live guitarist and a great session musician and I don't doubt there's new Fortus-fans and it's cool that people appreciate his skills, but I'm pretty sure no one thinks he is a king of anything, let alone a legend.

People still haven't figured out sunset is someones troll account? I recommend you check out the posting history of this account, many LOLz are to be had.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

People still haven't figured out sunset is someones troll account? I recommend you check out the posting history of this account, many LOLz are to be had.

I hardly ever look at someone's username when I make a post or quote someone, and if they don't have an avatar, like this poster, I really don't remember them unless they post a lot.

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Call me when "King Fortus" comes up with a riff as fantastic as SCOM or Anastasia or a solo as iconic as November Rain or Nightrain.

I won't hold my breath for your call.

Don't think the thread said "Fotus is a better songwriter". Also, who knows he may have some really good riffs in his back catalogue, I for one have not looked too far into it.

Is Fortus iconic like Slash - no. Will Fortus be remembered like Slash. is Fortus as popular or more than Slash - No. And has Fortus written classic riffs and solos that we all know and love - no.

BUT it is undeniable that lots of people enjoy his style, and that there's lots of people leaving GNR gigs praising Fortus. I can guarantee nobody was leaving a UYI show arguing about whether Gilby was better than Slash... I can't say that about Fortus, who as a live player, is absolutely astounding and solid as it gets. 

Also, the flashy side of Fortus's playing is one small part of the overall picture. It's everything else that makes him a great player - timing, feel etc