Where is everyone??

There used to be a load more activity in this section, what are you all up to? Any new music? Are you working on stuff? I am planning an EP for next year (baby and house move have fucked this year up for making music) and then I will be retiring the Sound Of A Gun name and releasing music under my own name; I am a bit too old to have a pretend band....

Let's hear your plans, demos or whatever else you are up to musically.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I'm probably the last person anyone wants updates from regarding music, but I'm working with a friend and writing a few songs with her, they'll be done by the week probably.

I'm not making covers because I'm uncomfortable with recording other people's music again and releasing them under my name.

1 hour ago, AslatIE said:

I'm probably the last person anyone wants updates from regarding music, but I'm working with a friend and writing a few songs with her, they'll be done by the week probably.

I'm not making covers because I'm uncomfortable with recording other people's music again and releasing them under my name.

I look forward to hearing you play some originals! Covers are OK as long as you don't charge for them (even if you do, then all you need is a mechanical licence for it to be legal)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

My band finished its first EP. Itll be released Jan 6th and Ill post it then!

Great to hear! Your stuff is fucking cool, can't wait to hear your recordings.

2 hours ago, AslatIE said:

Update: the lead singer fucking dropped out :lol: cunt

Singers are cunts, I should know. Can you do the vocals yourself?

1 minute ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Singers are cunts, I should know. Can you do the vocals yourself?

It stings because she has an amazing voice, and we've been working for months now.

I can't sing for shit but hey, never too late to start trying!

3 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I can't play bass for shit, but necessity forced me to do it. Get stuck in!

That reminds me of how necessity forced me to sing lol.

EDIT: and play bass, find drum loops, and learn to record and mix for that matter lol.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

That reminds me of how necessity forced me to sing lol.

EDIT: and play bass, find drum loops, and learn to record and mix for that matter lol.

Same for me dude, I was a singer and rhythm guitarist before I started recording.

26 minutes ago, Klay said:

I've got a lot of new music in my head that I need to print out.

It's been a year since I recorded anything, I changed my job and it keeps me really busy and always travelling...

Sounds like it's time to get recording!

• Like 2

It's funny. I don't think the events are related, but participation in this section seemed to drop quite a bit when GNR news reignited in mid-2015. Perhaps people care to actually discuss GNR on a GNR board, whereas just a few years ago there was nothing worthy of GNR discussion? 

Anyway, I was supposed to record a 3 song EP with my new project last weekend. But our drummer injured his wrist and is still recovering; new target is to record in late December. This project has been together for several months, and we have yet to all agree on a name. Best contender right now is: Medjay. And if we go that route, we will officially (I think) become the first Assassin's Creed themed metal band. :lol:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

It's funny. I don't think the events are related, but participation in this section seemed to drop quite a bit when GNR news reignited in mid-2015. Perhaps people care to actually discuss GNR on a GNR board, whereas just a few years ago there was nothing worthy of GNR discussion? 

Anyway, I was supposed to record a 3 song EP with my new project last weekend. But our drummer injured his wrist and is still recovering; new target is to record in late December. This project has been together for several months, and we have yet to all agree on a name. Best contender right now is: Medjay. And if we go that route, we will officially (I think) become the first Assassin's Creed themed metal band. :lol:

Even up to a few months ago, there felt like more was going on here. I think I post more in this section than I do on GNR related topics. Good news on the ep man, who is producing it? Send me the separates and I'll do some mixes for you!

I havent been posting on the forum for long enough to be missed here, but I did post here when I first joined (started posting) and always enjoyed this space a lot.  I was thinking about posting some of my ambient electro stuff back then.  Since then my home computer has stopped putting out audio form the right channel, which sucks.  Summers are busy with growing food for me, but now I cant get back to mastering anyways.  btw this online algorithm mastering stuff is blowing my mind!!

But moreso, I really desire to be in a rock n roll band and havent really come in contact with players that seem to be into what Id be into since arriving in my current city.  If I could just connect with a drummer and vocalist.  As a songwriter I find that a great drummer is all I need to feel ready to move forward.  I live in an area being encroached by gentrification and the hipster drummers fucking suck!!!!!!  No posture even - slouching over in a way that prevents finesse is apparently cool.  And slamming the toms to the meter (but somehow still not in tempo) for the entire song, with Lars-esque floppy wrists makes for a star drummer around here these days. 

Luckily for me as a music lover, there is amazing musicianship in the local jazz, funk and Latin scenes.  So hopefully I'll find my Charlie Watts.  But maybe some of you will know what its like to approach a jazz ace during intermission and asking them about trying out for your unsigned, non-existent rock group? haha

• Haha 1

On November 24, 2017 at 6:16 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

Thanks, man!

I actually got the finalized music sent to me tonight. It sounds pretty good imo! We didn't use a studio and its pretty raw, but Im cool with that

I'll post it in January or whenever my band wants to get it out. It is 4 songs with an album cover

• Like 1

Seems like there is still activity going on among us! Shame we are scattered across the world; it would be fucking awesome to play a gig/event together.

I am hoping next year is going to be a bit more productive, these last two have just flown by with work and family requiring that majority of my time. Fucking adilt life ruining my fun, I finally have the money to buy all the toys I want, but have no time to play with them!

Seems like there is still activity going on among us! Shame we are scattered across the world; it would be fucking awesome to play a gig/event together.

I am hoping next year is going to be a bit more productive, these last two have just flown by with work and family requiring that majority of my time. Fucking adilt life ruining my fun, I finally have the money to buy all the toys I want, but have no time to play with them!

On 11/25/2017 at 4:31 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

Even up to a few months ago, there felt like more was going on here. I think I post more in this section than I do on GNR related topics. Good news on the ep man, who is producing it? Send me the separates and I'll do some mixes for you!

Guess I'm the producer. Just using someone's space and gear to record, and they'll probably man the computer at the time. But we haven't settled on mixing/mastering; so that would be sweet. Do stems work with any DAW? Or can they only be opened by the DAW they were recorded in? I should know the answer to this, but I don't. :lol:

18 hours ago, AslatIE said:

Very, very rough demo of something special :) 

Nice lead tone, sounding Slashy. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

Guess I'm the producer. Just using someone's space and gear to record, and they'll probably man the computer at the time. But we haven't settled on mixing/mastering; so that would be sweet. Do stems work with any DAW? Or can they only be opened by the DAW they were recorded in? I should know the answer to this, but I don't. :lol:

Nice lead tone, sounding Slashy. :)

Thanks, Amplitube is a much better substitute to a shitty Line 6!

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

Yeah, export them as wav files and they will work in any DAW, make sure they have timestamps on them or start times are saved in the title so it's clear where everything is meant to be placed.

20 hours ago, AslatIE said:

Very, very rough demo of something special :) 

Good to see you working on originals dude! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Yeah, export them as wav files and they will work in any DAW, make sure they have timestamps on them or start times are saved in the title so it's clear where everything is meant to be placed.

Good to see you working on originals dude! 

It'll be even better with vocals!