5 things you didn't know about Axl's 2002 VMA Performance

1 hour ago, TOS--LOA said:

It's funny to hear Howard and Robin mocking Duff for his pursuits in Finance. Never underestimate Duff Mckagan! 

Agreed it's not the first time they've mocked duff's finance background. A few years after this interview when duff started his wealth management company Howard said something to the effect of he would rather trust Bernie madolf with his money than duff 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I remember when this was the worst performance. Now there are the likes of Bridge School and both Rio '11 & '17.

Madagascar sounded geat back then.

Taking into account the fact that Axl was 40-years-old at the time and should have theoretically been in the prime of his career, I can pretty easily say VMA 2002 is his all-time worst performance.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is a weird moment in that clip where Finck proceeds to have sex with his guitar.

Don't forget Fortus. He is literally pounding his guitar nonstop the entire time.

4 hours ago, OTHAFA said:

Taking into account the fact that Axl was 40-years-old at the time and should have theoretically been in the prime of his career, I can pretty easily say VMA 2002 is his all-time worst performance.

My finest moment as a live performer was at the 2002 MTV VMA's. - W. Axl Rose

I was very excited to watch it unfold but I was horrified once it happened.. Axl looked and sounded so strange.. The rest of the band looked like a bunch of circus rejects.. People were calling me left and right.. I remember the next day everyone talking about how bad it was. May have been the last time that I tuned into the VMA's though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You see - I don't think it was that bad. He's certainly no worse there than he is now or even during the Illusion tour. The reason I think that performance hurt his credibility so badly was that brief portion during Jungle where he's out of breath. He still manages to close out Jungle reasonably well from there and both Paradise City and Madagascar were serviceable enough. Maybe because Axl didn't totally kill that performance after a decade away + the freakshow aspect = massive disappointment 

He really needed to blow people away with that show and he ended up falling short. Still delivered a pretty good-ish one overall with an unfortunately embarrassing moment during Jungle where he ran out of breath. 

• Like 1

This sums it up

2002-axl-rose-2236126.jpg

Last time the public at large saw Axl, he looked like this 

elton-john-axl-rose-of-guns-n-roses-and-

Now, he looked like a cross between Jar Jar Binks, the Predator, and 50 Cent, and sounded like Mickey Mouse, with a band of guys who had no chemistry on stage.

He also should've played more new songs. Do a medley of Jungle, Chinese D, Maddy, and PC. Look like he did at the House of Blues in Dec 2001. Sound like he did on Live Era.

Edited by Fashionista
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1