My buddies' Impressive GNR Collection - Episode 5/6 Is Up! Rare Books & Bootlegs!

1 hour ago, sidman69 said:

Out in LA this past weekend we filmed part of my friend's GNR collection. There was even more stuff he didn't show on camera (i.e. rare axl photos, etc), but what he showed is pretty cool. 

Does he ever plan on getting that Coma rehearsal with Steven on it out there? I'm dying to hear that full mates rehearsal because I want to hear that version of Bad Apples aswell

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Does he ever plan on getting that Coma rehearsal with Steven on it out there? I'm dying to hear that full mates rehearsal because I want to hear that version of Bad Apples aswell

he played me the mates rehearsal with coma with adler on drums. It doesn't sound too much different from how sorum plays it. I dont think he'll release it since it's a copyright issue. He also played me the bad apples from mates, which was amazing. I can't remember if he played anything else from there. He also let me hear Slash's separated guitar track from scom and some of the "noodling" he was doing on it. Pretty epic. I'll be releasing more videos over the coming weeks of the other parts of his collection. He has some pretty amazing stuff. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, sidman69 said:

he played me the mates rehearsal with coma with adler on drums. It doesn't sound too much different from how sorum plays it. I dont think he'll release it since it's a copyright issue. He also played me the bad apples from mates, which was amazing. I can't remember if he played anything else from there. He also let me hear Slash's separated guitar track from scom and some of the "noodling" he was doing on it. Pretty epic. I'll be releasing more videos over the coming weeks of the other parts of his collection. He has some pretty amazing stuff. 

That's so fucking awesome. I bet even Marc Canter would be amazed if he came to Kevins house and saw his collection of things no one else has:lol: If you could make that happen I bet it would make for an amazing video.

Did I miss something..... you're saying your friend has more rehearsal tapes from Mates with Adler on drums including Coma & Bad Apples ?

Is it a longer version the same session that is floating around currently (ie Don't Damn Me, Garden of Eden, Locomotive, Dust N Bones) or a different session ?

Do you know what other tunes are on there ?

That would be awesome if it got out - I love listening to those tapes IMO the songs sound & feel so much better with Adler on there....I love the way Dust N Bones sounds on that tape, but am completely bored by the album version...

23 minutes ago, Euchre said:

Did I miss something..... you're saying your friend has more rehearsal tapes from Mates with Adler on drums including Coma & Bad Apples ?

Is it a longer version the same session that is floating around currently (ie Don't Damn Me, Garden of Eden, Locomotive, Dust N Bones) or a different session ?

That would be awesome if it got out - I love listening to those tapes IMO the songs sound & feel so much better with Adler on there....I love the way Dust N Bones sounds on that tape, but am completely bored by the album version...

The mates that is out there is incomplete, on the same session they also rehearsed Coma, Bad Apples and an unreleased song (perhaps Aint Going Down). Those parts are not out there but he has them. I respect his decision to not put it out there but I do hope to hear it someday. He has collected tons of unseen stuff since 87 and since he lives in LA he has tons of stuff people haven't even seen yet. I recommend checking out the podcasts of GNR central with Kevin where he shows some more of his collection like unseen Axl pics etc.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

35 minutes ago, Euchre said:

yup he has mates full rehearsal. It is longer than what is on YouTube. I think locomotive might have been on there but don't quote me. I'll have to check what other songs are on there. Plus he had them digitized so the quality is also really outstanding and better than what you hear on youtube. 

15 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The mates that is out there is incomplete, on the same session they also rehearsed Coma, Bad Apples and an unreleased song (perhaps Aint Going Down). Those parts are not out there but he has them. I respect his decision to not put it out there but I do hope to hear it someday. He has collected tons of unseen stuff since 87 and since he lives in LA he has tons of stuff people haven't even seen yet. I recommend checking out the podcasts of GNR central with Kevin where he shows some more of his collection like unseen Axl pics etc.

he also played me some unreleased stuff, not really sure what the names of the songs were. 

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Im sorry but a vertical video is putting me off the excitement of watching that :facepalm:

it's the last vertical one we shot. Kevin shot the video and we were going to reshoot it with landscape mode but ran out of time. The rest of the series is all in landscape mode. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, default_ said:

Great collection man, thanks for the vid. From what era are those songs?

they are from 1989 mates rehearsal

41 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Wow. Some seriously fucking cool items. Please tell your friend I hate his guts! :lol:

Also, don't blue-ball me like that, please. If your friend has unreleased songs, fucking release them!

haha thanks. 6 more parts coming soon! I'll post them once they are up. At this rate axl will release chinese leftovers before the rest of the mates rehearsal stuff surfaces. 

These videos are really cool. I was always the guy looking for treasures at out of the way places, buying import singles, and bootlegs back in the day. I love this kind of stuff. I rarely found any GNR stuff though I have a great Pearl Jam collection of physical media. I do have a couple fun GNR things like the Patience vinyl single, You Could Be Mine cassette single, and a couple others.