Can You Really Tell the Difference from Each GN’R Drummer?

12 minutes ago, Stro said:

I can tell that Brain was frequently off tempo in 2002 and had a shitty sounding set that sounded tinny and too tight. I don't get any of the complaints about Frank.

To me Frank’s drum set is on a weird tone and he chooses to play some of the songs differently than the way they were recorded such as Estranged, Brownstone, Rocket Queen, etc. That being said I don’t hate the guy as a drummer and I don’t knock anyone for preferring him but I personally don’t think he’s the best fit for the band and wish someone would take his spot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

With all the drummers GN’R have over the decades, can you really tell the difference especially live? Like if you cant see who the drummer is, can you tell if its Frank or Sorum in most songs?

Have you ever been in a band? Drummers are a key part of a bands sound. 

Adler - groove and punky, Sorum - More Rock, a bit plodding for me, Josh Freese and Brain were solid.

Frank's style is weird to me, it's not really like any other drummer I've heard. (Has anybody heard a similar drummer to Frank they can point me towards?) He was all over the place last year, but I thought he sounded good Wednesday night. 

(Well , Better than normal) 😂

Edited by Powderfinger

This is the most well timed topic title - no i can't tell the difference cause i don't know shit about music would be the answer of anyone who is coke deaf and keen on what Frank brought to the table since his band inclusion. 

Brain was as close as you got to adler - he was good. 

Sorum was a classic esque drummer with a level of proficiency that could keep exquisite time and improved throughout his tenure with Guns 

Adler the heart and soul cannot be copied for his trademarks have made him unique in drumming and that is very difficult to accomplish. The rhythm he accomplished with DUFF was the origin of the bands sound and then izzy + slash and finally axl created the juggernaut that was once Guns N Roses

i agree matt shouldve remained for all his versatility and high competence towards newer visions

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 3

Simple answer yes. Almost every drummer that has played with gnr has a different sound and approach. I haven't heard a bad drummer yet in GNR, although there's things each do (aside from Adler... although was obviously more than a bit loose at times) that I don't like. 

There's a huge difference between Frank, Matt and Steven. Each guy has almost completely different to the other. I'd describe Adler as loose with a great rock n roll swing. I'd say Matt was a timing machine, always on, but he lacked the natural groove that made the early guns sound great, probably the most "session musician" style drummer in the pack. Frank is like some sort of hybrid of Matt and Steven with some other bits thrown in on top, I personally thought he played much better on previous tours, but he is still a good drummer and works well with the band, would I like to hear November rain played with a bit more of a back beat? you're damn skippy "stop rushing those fills Frank!!!" but I'm finicky about feel and timing on the best of days and I realise most people don't care about this stuff (I drive my band mad). 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

With all the drummers GN’R have over the decades, can you really tell the difference especially live? Like if you cant see who the drummer is, can you tell if its Frank or Sorum in most songs?

Absolutely, each have their own style and distinct way of playing certain things (in some cases for better or worse!)

Not sure how someone can slam Frank but praise Sorum, one of the most boring and unimaginative drummers around (imho). 

I always saw it like this:

Adler: Punk style that feels loose and groovy. Almost feels like it's going off the rails - like he can't keep the beat but at the last minute somehow makes it work. As Izzy said, Steven has an accidental style which is perfect for the chaotic live sound of Guns. Adler's style is dated though - I don't see how he adapts to newer guns material. There's a reason he wasn't asked to be in VR or drum in Snakepit or any of Slash's solo albums. With all due respect to Steven, he hasn't evolved much as a musician.

Sorum: Metal drummer with a clinical precision. He sounded much better on the Spaghetti, Sympathy and the VR stuff - but still, as someone else mentioned, he's the most "session" sounding drummer the band ever had. And he has a very plodding, "heavy" sound.

Freese: Punk w/ precision and groove. He's a natural talent and easily the best drummer the band ever had. Imho, guns needs a punk drummer to capture their style properly.

Brain: A cross between Adler and Freese. Fucking awesome drummer. He's looser than Freese and a bit more unpredictable in his style. His background makes him more dynamic in some ways even if Freese is the better drummer.

Frank: Kind of a poor man's Brain really. Has a bit of all the guns drummers - a little groove, a little precision and skill, he can hit hard like sorum, - but no real discernible style or sound. Even if he's generic, he's got more feel than Sorum and that puts him ahead for me. A matt sorum drum solo sounds a lot more painful to me than a Frank solo. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The sign of a good drummer is if you don't notice him. Drummers need to have the feel, skill and intelligence to underplay just as much as overplay. Adler had impeccable feel. Frank I think lacks a little in the skill department (certainly compared to Brain and Freese) and in my opinion his feel is a little off which is why I think he gets some stick round here.

• Like 2