Queen Biopic - Bohemian Rhapsody

soon

Im sure there must be a thread for this already but I couldnt find it, sorry if this is a double.  Can a mod merge if there is one, please?

There has been yet another set back: 

Production on the upcoming Queen movie Bohemian Rhapsody has been put on hold due to the "unexpected unavailability" of director Bryan Singer.

"Twentieth Century Fox Film has temporarily halted production on Bohemian Rhapsody due to the unexpected unavailability of Bryan Singer," reads Fox's full statement. The crew received force majeure letters today, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Their report goes on to say that Singer - whose Twitter account was recently deleted - did not return to set after the Thanksgiving holiday break, which allegedly made producers nervous enough about the state of the production to consider replacing him. They also cite insider accounts of Singer "routinely" showing up late to set, including one occasion on which a cinematographer was forced to serve in a producer role.

However, the BBC shared a statement from a representative of Singer explaining that his absence was due to "a personal health matter concerning Bryan and his family," and stating that the director of the four X-Men movies "hopes to get back to work on the film soon after the holidays."

Bohemian Rhapsody is scheduled to hit theaters on Dec. 25, 2018.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/queen-movie-halts-production/

^^^ I did not know this when I posted.  I almost feel naive for not wondering that and looks into it further.

I've just been fascinated by the many hurdles the production has been faced with.  But if this is the type of person they do business with, that likely explains issues and makes me uninterested in the project.

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Bryan Singer is a notorious nonce. Probably gone on the run.

That was my first thought, too.

Perhaps with the current climate of sexual abuse scandals, he's hiding somewhere dark, hoping and praying that he isn't exposed any more than he's already been.

For all we know, there is some sort of litigation pending. He supposedly really likes young boys.

Yeah when all these sex scandals started bubbling to the surface I recalled the allegations against Singer that happened back in 2014 and figured it was only a matter of time before his career became impacted again somehow. 

If I were Fox I would just get rid of him and move forward on filming this biopic with a filmmaker who is comfortable stepping into a production that's already underway. If Ron Howard can do it for the Han Solo film, then im sure there's someone out there who can do it for this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Is Control a biopic?  I loved that movie.

Control is brilliant but I guess with Ian Curtis its a bit easier to create the character because he did have such a huge public persona to begin with.  But its a fantastic film for more reasons than just Sam Riley, a lot more, its probably the best biopic ever made.  I think they are best though when they just use elements of it for inspiration and then make a work of fiction, which essentially all biopics are at heart, a fictional recreation of a reality or something that is understood to be a reality or often even just mythology.  I REALLY like Last Days on that level.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Control!  Not too many musician biopics come to mind.  Sound of Music is amazing.  Amadeus and Straight Outta Compton are worth a watch.  But other biopics Like Kill Your Darlings and Amazing Grace are really well done imho.  

I could envision a Freddie biopic being awful, although I suppose there is a story there, his (genuine) love for Mary Austin combined with being in the closest, and then that whole ''coming out'' era where he started dressing uber-gay like members of the Village People and tried to turn Queen into a New York disco act, Hot Space era. Then you have the AIDS thing (then a brand new disease, spoken of with much ignorance and spitefulness) and consequent harassment by the British press. You could even begin by touching on his outsider status: Parsi/Zoroastrian (outsider even in India, their homeland); outsider in the Sultanate of Zanzibar where they operated as a sort of elite colonial class; considered aristo by the British but still forever an 'Indian outsider' at college and wherever else in 1970s Britain despite speaking the queens. Homosexuality certainly cast one as an outsider - something akin to barely-legal deviancy. No wonder when Fred came out, he came out!

Heck, maybe I should write it haha?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I could envision a Freddie biopic being awful, although I suppose there is a story there, his (genuine) love for Mary Austin combined with being in the closest, and then that whole ''coming out'' era where he started dressing uber-gay like members of the Village People and tried to turn Queen into a New York disco act, Hot Space era. Then you have the AIDS thing (then a brand new disease, spoken of with much ignorance and spitefulness) and consequent harassment by the British press. You could even begin by touching on his outsider status: Parsi/Zoroastrian (outsider even in India, their homeland); outsider in the Sultanate of Zanzibar where they operated as a sort of elite colonial class; considered aristo by the British but still forever an 'Indian outsider' at college and wherever else in 1970s Britain despite speaking the queens. Homosexuality certainly cast one as an outsider - something akin to barely-legal deviancy. No wonder when Fred came out, he came out!

Heck, maybe I should write it haha?

Apparently among the many delays of this film were script rewrites. You should volunteer your services!

7 hours ago, James Bond said:

Apparently among the many delays of this film were script rewrites. You should volunteer your services!

Yeah at one point Brian May and Roger Taylor wanted Freddie's death to take place halfway through the film. This is what made  Cohen quit the project. Eventually May and Taylor decided to allow the writers to change the script so that it ends at the Live Aid performance in 1985 instead, but by this point the public press wounds with Cohen were too deep for him to return.