Our Interview with Marc Canter - Talking Reunion, Axl Relationship & Old Days!

11 minutes ago, Liquor & Whores said:

You could listen to this guy for hours.

CANTEROPEDIA = GUNSOPEDIA

I had a pleasure to exchange some messages here with Marc, what a great guy, keep it real, like you always do !

yeah we talked to him for a long time after the interview ended and unfortunately we had to leave by a certain time to go elsewhere otherwise we would have been there for hours and hours. 

44 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Great as always, but why no questions on why he thinks Izzy never came out for a single song? Would also be cool to know if he thinks AFD 5 will perform ever again

we had limited time and only so many questions 

Edited by sidman69
Spelling mistake

4 hours ago, sidman69 said:

During our time in LA last week we sat down with Marc Canter to talk about his history with the band! Big thanks to Marc for sitting down with us 

Amazing interview

19:30 - The people keeping Axl from reading Marc's interviews = the usual suspects. Team Brazil and Del. 

As we learn more and more about how this reunion came together I suspect it will become even more clear just what these people did to thwart a reunion between Axl and Slash for the last 20 years.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, appetite4illusions said:

Does he talk about the Reckless Road film or James Franco?

Seems like that option will probably expire before anything comes of it.

Hasn't it already? I feel like it's been longer than 18 months by now. Franco is focused on promoting his Tommy Wiseau film right now anyway and will most likely move on to different projects next year. He's probably not interested in doing another biopic when he just got done doing one.

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Hasn't it already? I feel like it's been longer than 18 months by now. Franco is focused on promoting his Tommy Wiseau film right now anyway and will most likely move on to different projects next year. He's probably not interested in doing another biopic when he just got done doing one.

we talked about this with him after the interview. There was some stuff we agreed to talk about 

Nothing new - I'm guessing Marc's under the same gag order as everyone else in the GNR camp

Good call by Marc on all the kids dropping down onto the field at Giants Stadium in the background of the Paradise City video - I never would have noticed that

Edited by TheSeeker

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Great as always, but why no questions on why he thinks Izzy never came out for a single song? Would also be cool to know if he thinks AFD 5 will perform ever again

Izzy thinks he's not getting enough money. He wanted to do the tour, but his demands weren't met. They are not on good terms. So why would he come out and do a song with them?

Edited by PatrickS77

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

Izzy thinks he's not getting enough money. So why would he come out and do a song with them? He wanted to do the tour, but his demands weren't met. So they are not on good terms.

Yes,i think what never they was in such bad terms with Izzy what now

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Amazing interview

19:30 - The people keeping Axl from reading Marc's interviews = the usual suspects. Team Brazil and Del. 

As we learn more and more about how this reunion came together I suspect it will become even more clear just what these people did to thwart a reunion between Axl and Slash for the last 20 years.

Yup! What their rationale was??? I don't know because. For a lot of years Axl was far from happy and one big reason was all the Slash/Guns stuff... Maybe they had good intentions? I don't know, but I just hate the idea of people getting close to someone and taking advantage, or "protecting" them from things 'they' think that person shouldn't see or hear. Messed up.

Good interview!

Edited by Tom2112

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yup! What their rationale was??? I don't know because. For a lot of years Axl was far from happy and one big reason was all the Slash/Guns stuff... Maybe they had good intentions? I don't know, but I just hate the idea of people getting close to someone and taking advantage, or "protecting" them from things 'they' think that person shouldn't see or hear. Messed up.

Good interview!

Well. Messed up would be if Axl would have let that happen against his will. And just because Canter says (? haven't watched the interview yet) something, doesn't mean it's really like that.

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Self interest. There doesn't seem to be anything benevolent about what they did aside from acting like leeches - no different from any other group of handlers who do whatever it takes to keep the gravy train going. Clearly the guy was extremely unhappy. Instead of helping him sort things out with his friends, these people alienated him from everyone - including, eventually Canter. Oldest trick in the book - remove and isolate someone from their inner circle so that you can weasel your way into their life and business. 

They all had a lot to lose with Slash and Duff in the picture, especially Doug Goldstein who formed a nice partnership with Beta early on. What were they after? Influence. Duff and Slash coming back reduces their power in band affairs. We saw a sample of that with the Pitman meltdown last year. And further back, Buckethead's ouster which was rumored to be a Del James/Tommy Stinson power play to keep Bucket from getting too close to Axl. 

Duff, being asked if he is still friends with Axl in 1999: Yes I am, but it doesn’t mean we agree on everything. We’ve been thinking too much about this band. We’ve been teenagers together, we became adults together. Nobody can ask me not to be friend anymore with my brother. But he’s got a problem: too many people around him confusing his mind. To be honest, he probably doesn’t live in the same world as you and me [Duff McKagan Interview, Hard Force Magazine June 1999].

Duff, explaining why Axl changed: Because many people around him maintain him in that state of mind. They kept telling him he was right. Some of them feared him cause they were scared they were gonna lose their job. It’s as simple as that [Duff McKagan Interview, Hard Force Magazine June 1999].

Great Duff quotes!

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well. Messed up would be if Axl would have let that happen against his will. And just because Canter says (? haven't watched the interview yet) something, doesn't mean it's really like that.

Of course, I don't know it for fact but as Ronin mentioned, there's lots of similar stories. Check out Brian Wilsons story for a great example of an inner circle taking advantage. I think it's quite possible that Marcs right. Look at this way, in 1992/93 he splits with Stephanie, '94 he's in court, 95 he's in hiding, '96 Slash is gone, '97 / '98 Matt and Duff are gone... and then add all the weird past life crap he was mixed up in. For years he was losing the people around around him, and he had nobody to trust anymore besides this family that he met. He's in this fragile state, and he's pouring his heart out to these people and we're supposed to believe that someone might not get the idea that "this person is worth a lot of money, this is my chance to get close" I think you would be both naive not to at least consider that, but I also maybe a little too eager to find a conspiracy if you say "this is  what happened".End of the ay, all we have to go on are, accounts from people like Duff, Marc, Slash and anyone else that was around in that period, between everyone's stories the truth is there.

38 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Of course, I don't know it for fact but as Ronin mentioned, there's lots of similar stories. Check out Brian Wilsons story for a great example of an inner circle taking advantage. I think it's quite possible that Marcs right. Look at this way, in 1992/93 he splits with Stephanie, '94 he's in court, 95 he's in hiding, '96 Slash is gone, '97 / '98 Matt and Duff are gone... and then add all the weird past life crap he was mixed up in. For years he was losing the people around around him, and he had nobody to trust anymore besides this family that he met. He's in this fragile state, and he's pouring his heart out to these people and we're supposed to believe that someone might not get the idea that "this person is worth a lot of money, this is my chance to get close" I think you would be both naive not to at least consider that, but I also maybe a little too eager to find a conspiracy if you say "this is  what happened".End of the ay, all we have to go on are, accounts from people like Duff, Marc, Slash and anyone else that was around in that period, between everyone's stories the truth is there.

Exactly. You have to think at the end of the day - people care about one thing, their own survival. In mid 90's GnR you have:  an out of work writer/hanger on: Del James, a brazilian woman named Beta who was just fired by her employer (Stephanie) and gets the job of a lifetime hired by a reclusive, emotionally damaged mega rockstar, and a money hungry sycophant manager who would do anything to preserve his place in the cash bonanza that is GnR. The closest Axl confidant (Izzy) is out of the picture, West Arkeen and Shannon Hoon are dead, Steven is excommunicated, Slash is pretty much out of the picture and Duff is slowly but surely fading away. He was ripe for the taking. Beta and Doug Goldstein took him for everything. That's probably the truth behind the truth. 

GnR reunited would have meant more money for all those leeches, but I suspect they knew that their shenanigans were well known to Duff/Slash who would keep them at bay from Axl. It's an obvious choice really - get Duff/Slash out, and they are guaranteed a paycheck for the rest of their life without any interference. Even if Axl and the GnR brand went down the drain, they knew they always had a place in his life and access to his wallet. The only one who screwed up was Goldstein - he got too greedy and 86'ed himself out of the picture. Canter is very diplomatic and never explicitly calls out any of these leeches by name - but the subtext is there. Del James, Beta, and Doug Goldstein rotted this band from within. 

• Like 2

Enjoyed the interview very much. Thanks for that! Marc Canter seems to be a real great guy and such a hardcore fan. He and his personality were at the right time in the right place, back then in 85.

To what you said, @RONIN, it's been discussed without end and up to point I do see the possibility it went down like this. /Axl employees taking advantage of an emotional damaged superstar who is basically alone and without real friends.) But. Why and how did the reunion happen? How do you / do we explain that Slash and TB are getting on so well nowadays?

Edited by Tori72