Our Interview with Marc Canter - Talking Reunion, Axl Relationship & Old Days!

Interesting topic of convo for this this thread that takes me to a comment Axl made in the Brazilian interview he gave with duff as they hit the South American leg of this tour, he said sarcastically, something along the lines of people in his entourage tying him up against his will (or words to that affect), and the look on duffs face as he squirmed uncomfortably said it all. That one comment right there tells me that Axl is aware of this forum to the point that I think he pays particular attention to it more than we might realise. I mean, the average person on the street isn't talking about this, neither are fans saying this to his face, the only real day to day relevancy the band has where these topics would even be broached are on forums like this. 

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah but that doesn't mean he's still reading our forum or others. He would have easily picked up on the general consensus on Beta & Co when he did come here back in the day or maybe someone like Jarmo tells him.

Ever since that interview when Axl sarcastically said that I decided to try and stop worrying since he has some level of self-awareness and hey it is his personal life. It's not like he's in a vulnerable zombie state(anymore). Hopefully.

@RONIN can you elaborate on what you mean by Buckethead being ousted by Del?

His 2008 comments about Buckethead (that he doesn't know how much was true or not true regarding why that relationship fell apart) signals to me that he had woken up from his slumber and was becoming more aware of what was happening around him. It may have even started in 2001/2002 when Doug Goldstein is kicked to the curb unceremoniously. Notice how nobody  associated with the band talks about that guy now. Not a single person. And he was GnR's manager for the longest period of time.

Re: Buckethead, read this thread: http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/219375-nu-gnr-doomed-to-fail/

27 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Who knows. It probably happened for the same reason everything happens in life: the acquisition of more money. 

If I had to venture specifics, I'd say these are some key events:

1. Nu Guns basically having no future. Band members depleting. The lineup degrading to a group of third stringers. The brand value diminishing with every subsequent year. CD sinking like a stone in the marketplace. Interscope (allegedly) declining to support CD 2 and possibly laying a stipulation that without Slash they have zero interest in anything GnR - not really a stretch given they cut Axl off around 2004 and did nearly nothing to promote CD. So Axl is basically touring smaller and smaller venues to an increasingly apathetic audience, his lineup is falling apart, no chance for new music or label support of any future venture - and according to Pitman's lawsuit, the band's finances are basically in shambles. His only card to play? Reunion - tour stadiums, get the label interested again, revitalize a dormant fanbase and recharge his finances. No matter how big his pride is, that's too much temptation for one person, especially given his situation.

2. The "accidental" meeting between the King of Beers and Axl made huge inroads into a future reconciliation. Rumors abound that Duff arranged to have his room next to Axl's and TB was caught offguard - they apparently tried to send him away by saying Axl was in the shower.

Honestly, given Duff's financial acumen and increasingly mercenary view of money and brand whoring, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he arranged the whole thing. Two books (one of which was crap, the other just a vanilla recounting of the GnR years that was ever so careful not to offend Axl) and his imho calculated move over the last 15 years to align himself publicly with the grunge veterans like Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Cornell, etc speaks volumes about his intentions. His big mainstream band VR implodes and lo and behold, a year or two later, Duff finds himself right next to Axl's room. What a coincidence. I love how GnR played up the Dave Grohl appearance several times on their twitter feed and Foo Fighters didn't bother to even retweet or mention the appearance on their feed. McKagan desperately wants the respectability, credibility, and approval of the grunge stalwarts - which he can't have because of his GnR association. That won't stop him from playing up his punk rock roots every chance he gets though.

3. Slash had an expensive divorce. Since 1999, he's been angling in some way to get back into the band. He even tried to railroad his own VR bandmates in 2005/2006 to patch up with Axl because a reunited GnR is a cash printing juggernaut.

As Canter said - many potential reasons. But all roads lead to money.  I think Axl needed the money and Duff+ Slash wanted to reactivate the GnR partnership to cash out all that money they left on the table in the 90's. So many merchandising and licensing deals they forfeited by leaving GnR. I would bet dollars to donuts that this was the motivation for Duff post-VR. What is the brand value of GnR now post NITL? Exactly. These guys are all rich enough now to go and buy several of their own islands.

As Izzy prophetically predicted about a reunion in 2001:

A hypothetical question then: Axl’s [solo] album flops, and he offers you all the chance to get back together - just like Aerosmith and Black Sabbath - would you do it? I mean, assuming Axl would be… “… broke?” he cuts in with a laugh. “I could hear the call.” Goes into gruff Axl impersonation: “‘You know, I've been, ah, thinking’. He talks really slow when he gets an idea like that. ‘Aahhh, I've been thinking…’ And I'd be thinking, ‘He must be broke’,” he chuckles. “That’s how I imagine the call.” 

Ugh, yes. I don't really wanna say "thanks for that" because you destroy all my romantic dreams that were somewhat left of that reunion. lol. But thanks! The whole Duff thing is so ... shady and weird. Like he tried to be everybody's best friend, making music with everyone, not offending Axl, calling Izzy repeatedly his good friend, his sober friend etc., and then drops Izzy like it's nothing...

Even though I can't believe Duff actually is that smart enough to make strategic plans that go over a decade, things could have worked out like this because Duff tried to make peace and friends with everybody he could he could throughout the years. Usually that is a great personality trait in someone but Duff seems to use it money and power wise.

I loved Dave Grohl's appearance with Guns (and laughed at how proud Duff was ushering him over the stage) but I never checked how the Foo Fighters were dealing with it on social media. If they didn't that for sure puts the whole thing in a different light. And Duff, again, too. 

Ah and I didn't know anything about the NuGuns situation, neither financially nor musically, really. So putting all those mosaic pieces together it makes perfect sense.

"Acquisition of more money" for sure also is the answer to the Izzy question, too. Izzy was making music with everybody and never used any of that for publicity, marketing or whatever. It seems that Izzy was genuinely into making music with those guys. Even though he must have needed the money in 2006. Why would he want to be on the same stage with those clowns? Anyway. His good friend Duff and old pal Axl for sure weren't interested to reunite with him. Izzy is nearly unknown to the casual fan and thus won't draw in any more money, so a no-go for the Three Stooges. Still leaves the question to Duff. He wasn't any more better known to the casual fan than Izzy, was he? So Duff's in the picture because he booked his room next to Axl and tried to pull strings all the time.

Altogether it's still weird that TB didn't understand any sooner how big the money would be if there was anything close to a reunion. Maybe they're just really dumb, maybe scared for their jobs. Maybe it was the coincedence of thins like NuGuns becoming more and more irrelevant, Slash divorcing and needing money etc.

Edited by Tori72

Duff has proven to be the smartest of the bunch in the end, which is ironic cause he seemed the most likely to die of choking on his own vomit during his drunk bloated UYI tour days.

I don't see anything shady about what he's done at all, (if he indeed was the one pulling the strings behind the scenes)....I commend him for it.  That's just plain smart and savvy.  They benefited to the tune of about a billion dollars in revenue, and we all got to see them together again.  We all win.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Ugh, yes. I don't really wanna say "thanks for that" because you destroy all my romantic dreams that were somewhat left of that reunion. lol. The whole Duff thing is so ... shady and weird. Like he tried to be everybody's best friend, making music with everyone, not offending Axl, calling Izzy repeatedly his good friend, his sober friend etc., and then drops Izzy like it's nothing...

Even though I can't believe Duff actually is that smart enough to make strategic plans that go over a decade, things could have worked out like this because Duff tried to make peace and friends with everybody he could he could throughout the years. Usually that is a great personality trait in someone but Duff seems to use it money and power wise.

Well, I don't think he's been playing three dimensional chess w/ GnR politics but since his cashcow Velvet Revolver fell apart in 2008, I think he really thought hard about getting back into GnR. He's a smart guy who runs his own wealth management firm. You're talking about a very lucrative brand in GnR that Duff is a co-founder of. He'd be crazy not to want a piece of the pie (that he rightfully is entitled to). 

I loved Dave Grohl's appearance with Guns (and laughed at how proud Duff was ushering him over the stage) but I never checked how the Foo Fighters were dealing with it on social media. If they didn't that for sure puts the whole thing in a different light. And Duff, again, too. 

It's kind of cringeworthy. At first I thought it was Duff being as you said, the nice guy, trying to be everyone's friend. But over the years, he's been less than subtle with his Grohl/Novoselic bromance and bringing up his punk rock background. He's a very shrewd and calculating businessman, make no mistake.

Ah and I didn't know anything about the NuGuns situation, neither financially nor musically, really. So putting all those mosaics together it makes perfect sense.

"Acquisition of more money" for sure also is the answer to the Izzy question, too. Izzy was making music with everybody and never used any of that for publicity, marketing or whatever. It seems that Izzy was genuinely into making music with those guys. Even though he must have needed the money in 2006. Why would he want to be on the same stage with those clowns? Anyway. His good friend Duff and old pal Axl for sure weren't interested to reunite with him. Izzy is nearly unknown to the casual fan and thus won't draw in any more money, so a no-go for the Three Stooges. Still leaves the question to Duff. He wasn't any more better known to the casual fan than Izzy, was he? So Duff's in the picture because he booked his room next to Axl and tried to pull strings all the time.

Izzy does things because they seem fun and cool. He marches to his own beat. If he wanted money, he would have stayed in GnR. That doesn't mean he's going to work for love. He's going to ask for what he thinks he's worth. And if the partners don't want to pay, he's gone. 

Duff's in the picture because he's a partner in the brand. If he signed it away like Steven and Izzy, Slash would have thrown Duff to the wolves as he did with Izzy and Steven. 

Altogether it's still weird that TB didn't understand any sooner how big the money would be if there was anything close to a reunion. Maybe they're just really dumb, maybe scared for their jobs. Maybe it was the coincedence of thins like NuGuns becoming more and more irrelevant, Slash divorcing and needing money etc.

They knew a long time ago but I imagine it was easier for them to run the show without the other partners in the way. Remember, it's about influence - with Duff and Slash in the mix, they would have 3 bosses, not just one. Until 2006, there wouldn't have been any reason to rock the boat even if a reunion meant more money - nu guns was still doing okay.  Doug Goldstein probably saw the writing on the wall earlier and was pushing to get Axl to tour and release material and that ultimately became his undoing. Beta is a very clever and cunning person - she knew how to control and manipulate Axl. The one and only time she slipped up was when she tried to save Doug Goldstein's job - he was her partner in crime early on I suspect. 

As you said, it was a bunch of events coinciding that made the timing right to regroup.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Of course, I don't know it for fact but as Ronin mentioned, there's lots of similar stories. Check out Brian Wilsons story for a great example of an inner circle taking advantage. I think it's quite possible that Marcs right. Look at this way, in 1992/93 he splits with Stephanie, '94 he's in court, 95 he's in hiding, '96 Slash is gone, '97 / '98 Matt and Duff are gone... and then add all the weird past life crap he was mixed up in. For years he was losing the people around around him, and he had nobody to trust anymore besides this family that he met. He's in this fragile state, and he's pouring his heart out to these people and we're supposed to believe that someone might not get the idea that "this person is worth a lot of money, this is my chance to get close" I think you would be both naive not to at least consider that, but I also maybe a little too eager to find a conspiracy if you say "this is  what happened".End of the ay, all we have to go on are, accounts from people like Duff, Marc, Slash and anyone else that was around in that period, between everyone's stories the truth is there.

Of course I'm not saying it is impossible. But if it is, then Axl is more fucked up, fragile and broken than one thought. And he strikes me more as a guy that doesn't take shit, is stubborn and holds on to grudges for too long, but still knows what's going on. Or do you really think that a paranoid person like Axl would let others pull the wool over his eyes and seclude him and keep him from things and people he wants to do/work with? And the way all camps seem to get along know, Team brazil included, makes it hard for me to believe that it was them who kept this reunion from happen for over a decade. I would think that Slash, Duff and co. would notice if something was off with them and act accordingly. And I wonder how Canter wants to know that TB kept his interviews from Axl.

Edited by PatrickS77

8 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Duff has proven to be the smartest of the bunch in the end, which is ironic cause he seemed the most likely to die of choking on his own vomit during his drunk bloated UYI tour days.

I don't see anything shady about what he's done at all, (if he indeed was the one pulling the strings behind the scenes)....I commend him for it.  That's just plain smart and savvy.  They benefited to the tune of about a billion dollars in revenue, and we all got to see them together again.  We all win.

Exactly - he's a very sharp guy and as you said, there isn't anything shady about his MO.

But he's a hypocrite and cutthroat about the way he does business - and his nice guy schtick seems increasingly artificial. He plays the PR game really well, as does Slash. I think their behavior has really added weight to everything that Axl has said about them in the past.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ratam said:

Yes,i think what never they was in such bad terms with Izzy what now

9 hours ago, Ratam said:

Sorry what Marc not be more next the band, he seem good guy

Sorry. But are you having a stroke each time you're posting? I have no idea what you're saying. How about gathering your thoughts before posting?

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

@RONIN Thanks again. I'm with you on what you say, seems very plausible to me, too.

Just to let you know, in the Izzy thread we did a little research on Duff and found out that his wealth management firm never really existed. His founding partner doesn't even list it in his bio. Also Duff made believe he graduated from university which he didn't. He didn't get his degree and didn't go to university. He did online classes but apparently never got an degree from them.

You can check from the linked post onward if you're interested.

Edited by Tori72
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Of course I'm not saying it is impossible. But if it is, then Axl is more fucked up, fragile and broken than one thought. And he strikes me more as a guy that doesn't take shit, is stubborn and holds on to grudges for too Long, but still knows what's going on, than someone who let's others pull the wool over his eyes and seclude him and keep him from things and people he wants to do/see. And the way all camps seem to get along know, Team brazil included, makes it hard for me to believe that it was them who kept this reunion from happen for over a decade. I would think that Slash, Duff and co. would notice if something was off with them and act accordingly. And I wonder how Canter wants to know that TB kept his interviews from Axl.

Why would it be hard to believe that TB kept this reunion from happening based on how well they're getting along with Duff and Slash? Del James is posing with Duff and Slash in pictures and he's been less than complimentary of those two in the recent past. Money makes strange bedfellows. All of their interests are mutually aligned now. 

I don't think Axl is a completely unwitting party. I think his hangers-on simply magnify his worst impulses. He's a moody and unstable guy which makes him more susceptible to manipulation. He's also very unpredictable which means that former allies (doug goldstein) can be easily discarded on a whim. Beta has her hooks in him pretty deep though if Rio 3 was any indication.

19 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Why would it be hard to believe that TB kept this reunion from happening based on how well they're getting along with Duff and Slash? Del James is posing with Duff and Slash in pictures and he's been less than complimentary of those two in the recent past. Money makes strange bedfellows. All of their interests are mutually aligned now. 

I don't think Axl is a completely unwitting party. I think his hangers-on simply magnify his worst impulses. He's a moody and unstable guy which makes him more susceptible to manipulation. He's also very unpredictable which means that former allies (doug goldstein) can be easily discarded on a whim. Beta has her hooks in him pretty deep though if Rio 3 was any indication.

Because you don't go from being kept out of your band for a decade to being best friends with those people within months. I mean, it's one thing to tolerate someone for money and have no further connection, like it seems for example with Dizzy, but according to what I've seen in person and through social media they (including their spouses) really seem to get along with TB.

And if it happened (TB "blocking" a reunion), it surely didn't happen without Axl's knowledge/consent. I don't think he is that clueless. Easily manipulated maybe e.g. feeding into whatever path he already is on, but not entirely clueless.

Everything you put forward is speculation. Not entirely impossible and some sounds plausible. But still only speculation and interpretation. So let's not get carried away and take it as stone cold fact.

Edited by PatrickS77

59 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Because you don't go from being kept out of your band for a decade to being best friends with those people within months. And they do seem to get along with TB, as is seen in person and through social media.

The reunion (allegedly) has been in the works since 2014. They've probably had years to work the issues out. Axl and Slash appear to be chummy and they couldn't have hated each other more as recently as 2012. Money is a powerful motivator to mend fences. 

And if it happened (TB "blocking" a reunion), it surely didn't happen without Axl's knowledge/consent. I don't think he is that clueless. Easily manipulated maybe, but not entirely clueless.

Agreed. That's why I mentioned earlier that I don't think Axl is a completely unwitting party. But it's a likely possibility that TB probably fanned the flames. 

Everything you put forward is speculation. Not entirely impossible and some sounds plausible. But still only speculation and interpretation. So let's not get carried away and take it as stone cold fact.

Sure, it's speculation. That's a fair point. But it's speculation based on direct quotes from two of the most neutral parties connected to the band like Canter and Duff. That's all we have to go on. I don't know what would be Canter's agenda to claim that Axl's handlers had shielded him from seeing his interviews. Unless he has good reason to believe this, it seems to be an odd thing to mention in that interview - especially given that if it isn't true, it will only further damage his relationship with Axl.

Edited by RONIN

1 hour ago, Tori72 said:

Just to let you know, in the Izzy thread we did a little research on Duff and found out that his wealth management firm never really existed. His founding partner doesn't even list it in his bio. Also Duff made believe he graduated from university which he didn't. He didn't get his degree and didn't go to university. He did online classes but apparently never got an degree from them.

If I remember correctly Duff did go to university, but he persuaded them to finish his last courses online because he had some other commitments.

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

I love how GnR played up the Dave Grohl appearance several times on their twitter feed and Foo Fighters didn't bother to even retweet or mention the appearance on their feed. McKagan desperately wants the respectability, credibility, and approval of the grunge stalwarts - which he can't have because of his GnR association.

Foo Fighters played Paradise City at their show after Grohl's appearance. Grohl had attended the first Las Vegas gig and other FF guys have seen GNR shows as well.

Grohl and Slash are friends and have also cooperated musically. Duff has played together with Novoselic (even SCOM). I don't think Duff is not respected or acknowledged by them and trying desperately to do so. He just had fun on stage with Grohl...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

The reunion (allegedly) has been in the works since 2014. They've probably had years to work the issues out. Axl and Slash appear to be chummy and they couldn't have hated each other more as recently as 2012. Money is a powerful motivator to mend fences. 

Agreed. That's why I mentioned earlier that I don't think Axl is a completely unwitting party. In Duff and Slash's book, it's Doug Goldstein that is mentioned as giving them a contract to sign and saying that Axl would not go on stage otherwise. Axl claims this did not happen. But logic dictates that if Goldstein had given such a contract to Duff and Slash, it probably wouldn't have happened without Axl's knowledge. Things get lost in the shuffle when you have many handlers but as you said, I don't think Axl is clueless. But none of that rules out the likely possibility that TB certainly fanned the flames. 

Sure, it's speculation. That's a fair point. But it's speculation based on direct quotes from two of the most neutral parties connected to the band like Canter and Duff. That's all we have to go on. I don't know what would be Canter's agenda to claim that Axl's handlers had shielded him from seeing his interviews. Unless he has good reason to believe this, it seems to be an odd thing to mention in that interview - especially given that if it isn't true, it will only further damage his relationship with Axl.

1. Yes. But patching things up between Slash and Axl is a different story than to do the same between Slash, Duff and unrelated, unimportant hanger ons. They have to patch things up with Axl for this thing to work. They don't with TB.

2. and 3. But then the narrative would change from the evil, manipulating and controlling TB shielding Axl and derailing and delaying a reunion to TB simply going along with Axl's wishes and shielding him from everything that has to do with original GNR as he still is bitter and hates everyone's guts. And if what all we know or think to know about Duff is true, then who's to say that Duff is neutral and not also just only out to better his position and look out for his own interests? More often than not, people have some sort of agenda, even if it is just to appear to be more important than they actually are (in Canter's case).

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tadsy said:

Interesting topic of convo for this this thread that takes me to a comment Axl made in the Brazilian interview he gave with duff as they hit the South American leg of this tour, he said sarcastically, something along the lines of people in his entourage tying him up against his will (or words to that affect), and the look on duffs face as he squirmed uncomfortably said it all. That one comment right there tells me that Axl is aware of this forum to the point that I think he pays particular attention to it more than we might realise. I mean, the average person on the street isn't talking about this, neither are fans saying this to his face, the only real day to day relevancy the band has where these topics would even be broached are on forums like this. 

Axl used to post here. If TB permits it, im am absolutely sure he still lurks sometimes

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Enjoyed the interview very much. Thanks for that! Marc Canter seems to be a real great guy and such a hardcore fan. He and his personality were at the right time in the right place, back then in 85.

To what you said, @RONIN, it's been discussed without end and up to point I do see the possibility it went down like this. /Axl employees taking advantage of an emotional damaged superstar who is basically alone and without real friends.) But. Why and how did the reunion happen? How do you / do we explain that Slash and TB are getting on so well nowadays?

Money. Simple as that. 

2 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Money. Simple as that. 

Again. Just for the money there would be no reason for Slash and co. at all to get along and socialize with TB. The money rolling in has nothing to do with them getting along with TB.

• Like 1

Ronin is right as this dates back to VR circa 2007. Scott said the GNR guys were trying to get Guns back together either before or after they released Libertad. Probably before as that album was rushed out due to label obligations. That's when Scott started looking into getting STP back together.

plus the time when Slash went to Axls house and wasn't allowed past the security gate.

Edited by Top-Hatted One

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

Who knows. It probably happened for the same reason everything happens in life: the acquisition of more money. The hangers-on realized that their meal ticket was running out of cash and tightening the belt. That's a big problem for Del and TB since they've been in retirement since the mid 90's. 

If I had to venture specifics, I'd say these are some key events:

1. Nu Guns basically having no future. Axl running the brand into the ground. Band members depleting. The lineup degrading to a group of third stringers. CD sinking like a stone in the marketplace. Interscope (allegedly) declining to support CD 2 and possibly laying a stipulation that without Slash they have zero interest in anything GnR - not really a stretch given they cut Axl off around 2004 and did nearly nothing to promote CD. So Axl is basically touring smaller and smaller venues to an increasingly apathetic audience, his lineup is falling apart, no chance for new music or label support of any future venture - and according to Pitman's lawsuit, the band's finances are basically in shambles. His only card to play? Reunion - tour stadiums, get the label interested again, revitalize a dormant fanbase and recharge his finances. No matter how big his pride is, that's too much temptation for one person, especially given his situation.

2. The "accidental" meeting between the King of Beers and Axl made huge inroads into a future reconciliation. Rumors abound that Duff arranged to have his room next to Axl's and TB was caught offguard - they apparently tried to send him away by saying Axl was in the shower.

Honestly, given Duff's financial acumen and increasingly mercenary view of money and brand whoring, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he arranged the whole thing. Two books (one of which was crap, the other just a vanilla recounting of the GnR years that was ever so careful not to offend Axl) and his imho calculated move over the last 15 years to align himself publicly with the grunge veterans like Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Cornell, etc speaks volumes about his intentions. His big mainstream band VR implodes and lo and behold, a year or two later, Duff finds himself right next to Axl's room. What a coincidence. I love how GnR played up the Dave Grohl appearance several times on their twitter feed and Foo Fighters didn't bother to even retweet or mention the appearance on their feed. McKagan desperately wants the respectability, credibility, and approval of the grunge stalwarts - which he can't have because of his GnR association. That won't stop him from playing up his punk rock roots every chance he gets though.

3. Slash had an expensive divorce. Since 1999, he's been angling in some way to get back into the band. He even tried to railroad his own VR bandmates in 2005/2006 to patch up with Axl because a reunited GnR is a cash printing juggernaut, and nobody knows that more than $la$h.

As Canter said - many potential reasons. But all roads lead to money.  I think Axl needed the money and Duff+ Slash wanted to reactivate the GnR partnership to cash out all that money they left on the table in the 90's. So many merchandising and licensing deals they forfeited by leaving GnR. I would bet dollars to donuts that this was the motivation for Duff post-VR. What is the brand value of GnR now post NITL? Exactly. These guys are all rich enough now to go and buy several of their own islands. They were very wealthy before. Now they have "f*ck you" money, especially Axl. If they do nothing from here on out, the GnR brand is revitalized and will keep printing money like the Elvis and Jackson brands. GnR is a veritable goldmine now. 

So all interests here are mutually aligned. The leeches need more cash flowing into the pockets of their employer or they're cut off. With Duff carefully rehabbing relations with Axl, it probably became way easier for both Axl and his entourage to jump on board. I don't care how many pictures they take together, I doubt Duff/Slash are now suddenly buddies with Del James, the same asshole who has been publicly slamming them for the last 20 years.

As Izzy prophetically predicted about a reunion in 2001:

A hypothetical question then: Axl’s [solo] album flops, and he offers you all the chance to get back together - just like Aerosmith and Black Sabbath - would you do it? I mean, assuming Axl would be… “… broke?” he cuts in with a laugh. “I could hear the call.” Goes into gruff Axl impersonation: “‘You know, I've been, ah, thinking’. He talks really slow when he gets an idea like that. ‘Aahhh, I've been thinking…’ And I'd be thinking, ‘He must be broke’,” he chuckles. “That’s how I imagine the call.” 

Great little tidbit from Izzy. He nailed it!

5 hours ago, Tori72 said:

@RONIN Thanks again. I'm with you on what you say, seems very plausible to me, too.

You can check from the linked post onward if you're interested.

Yea was just gonna say the same thing. Duff's been playing the fans and media for so long.  He has us all fooled. 

He used to post on the VR board but stopped after getting into arguments with AxlReznor. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't checked out the boards since. Cos you know how the truth hurts