1998 Mick Wall story about incident that inspired GITR

Just came across this article from late August this year and I don't think I've seen it posted here, it's Micks side of what happened between him and Axl and how they went from friendly to "enemies" in 1990. This was written in 1998, very interesting read.

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-08-28/guns-n-roses-get-in-the-ring-mick-wall

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

Geez. 25 years later and Wall is still milking that same cow. Wasn't it Duff's idea for the GITR rant? We got his unauthorised biopic about Axl, numerous classic rock magazine articles about GITR & GnR written by Wall, and a GNR book released last year.

Edited by Edward Nigma

4 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

Geez. 25 years later and Wall is still milking that same cow. Wasn't it Duff's idea for the GITR rant? We got his unauthorised biopic about Axl, numerous classic rock magazine articles about GITR & GnR written by Wall, and a GNR book released last year.

Yes you be right,was Duff idea.

Definition of rock journalism: People who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read.

Sounds like Mick thought he was in the band early in.... 

His books are TERRIBLE and inaccurate, his grasp of language is terrible, he gets fixated on crap (for example in the book about the doors he mentions 3-5 times that Jim Morrison liked anal sex and this made him a homo) just terrible sloppy journalism. Inaccurate & poorly researched. 

His books are like a copy and paste of Wikipedia and forums like this. 

But I do think he's telling the truth of how it went down with the interview and Axls "guns or knives" bullshit. Look at what Axl himself said about it on Shotgun Blues. Axl's all mouth and no bollocks, and his mouth is pure cringe..... You'd almost feel sorry for him while kicking his ass.....

Edited by Powderfinger

Wow, fantastic article!!

I believe every single word of what he says because that's the way Axl operates... with anger and thugs.... so embarassing and sad for an artist to be like that.

Unfortunately, all of it got reflected in the amount of years he couldn't write a thing and put out a decent album.

His description of Slash and Duff demeanor leaves no doubts.... sort of how they are acting today too, huh?

In Mick's words "Submitting to the master's will" :rolleyes:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 3

This dude...spends more than twenty years making fun of Axl, obsessing over his two second mention in one song, and then publishes a book that, while entirely true, makes Wall look like more of a sad loser than Axl. When it looks like his last little bit of spotlight dries up, he suddenly starts talking about how he "moved on," "loves Axl," and fully supports the band. 

I am usually not one of those dudes who says anyone who publishes something bad about GN'R is evil, but this dude is a parasite pure and simple. 

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Not saying he lied about anything. I'm sure everything he said remains 100% accurate. i just think it seems kind of sad he continues to essentially live off of stuff that happened almost three decades ago. 

The article is from 1998 though.

On 12/6/2017 at 9:27 AM, themadcaplaughs said:

Not saying he lied about anything. I'm sure everything he said remains 100% accurate. i just think it seems kind of sad he continues to essentially live off of stuff that happened almost three decades ago. 

Unfortunately, you could say the same for the fan base as far as album releases go... :/

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2017 at 4:11 PM, Gracii Guns said:

Someone on this forum (I thankfully don't remember who) criticised me for buying Kerrang! in around 2004, because Mick Wall once wrote for them. They went as far as saying "you can't be a true GN'R fan". :lol:

Few magazines did more for Guns N' Roses when they were an upcoming act in 1987 than Kerrang!. They basically gave Guns their first exposure. 

All I know is I picked up a Mick Wall biography of Axl (believe it was called War & Roses) and read it in an aisle of a bookstore. It was completely cobble together from hearsay, internet articles, and message boards - a total hit job with zero objective authority. Plus, it was written after "Get In The Ring" was released so what's the likelihood that he would be an unbiased source on the material?

Axl never gave a clear explanation on why Mick Wall's name was in the GITR rant. He had said though in one of his 1990/91 interviews with Kurt Loder, without naming someone, that it wasn't okay for journalists to print things he had said off the record about other bands. So I believe the reason was that interview, like Mick Wall said.

Axl most likely really said those things off the record about Vince Neil. Mick Wall, however, can't prove it, because they were, well... off the record and he doesn't have Axl on tape saying them (on the record Axl said very little about that subject and wasn't that provocative); this is probably why he didn't want to give a copy of the tape to Axl. He claims that Axl gave him permission to print the off the record stuff, but there is no proof for that either. So it's one's word against the other's.

Anyway, Mick Wall has been talking all these years and wrote two books (last year he renounced his Axl biography as biased) trying to get a reaction from Axl. He hasn't gotten one yet.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

Thats right Bob Guccioni Jr. at Spin, you pissed off because your dad gets more pussy than you?

What an awful song. Along with Shotgun Blues and My World the three worst things GNR did. 

Mick Wall's book on Axl (WAR) is awful. After 1990 it becomes a hatchet job. Then, post 2000 it becomes just plain inaccurate (claiming the Hammersmith Odeon show was in 2004 etc). Awful book, don't buy. 

On 06/12/2017 at 2:27 PM, themadcaplaughs said:

NITL 😉

I don't know, when someone says "I had lots of private chats that I never spoke about" it's usually a bunch of bollix. All of this could be true, it definitely wouldn't be that out of character for Axl... but I suspect a little bit of chicanery from Wall too, the "I'm completely innocent, I just print the truth man!" shtick is a little hard to stomach given the amount of interviews he does about Axl, and the books he's written.

End of the day, who gives a shit, this was a minor spat for a GNR trivia night at best.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 4:17 PM, Edward Nigma said:

It's a shame they put that rant in the song.  Musically, the song is a top 25% song in their catalog but the rant makes it completely dated and unplayable live....what a mistake...smh.  

If they ever come out with some sort of "best of" or another live album, they should redo the song without the rant...or make the rant about something general, without specifics names...Alla "Sorry".

• Like 1