Gn'R Welcome Gilby and 12 piece live band..

2 hours ago, soon said:

Im jealous, man! Did you know going in there'd be a 12 piece band?  What was it like to see this rather substantial transition?

I had no idea back then.. There wasn't any internet or anything.. I was 15 and jacked up beyond belief to see them for the first time.. Never mind the fact that I was on acid.. It was an amazing show.. I didn't mind the extra musicians for the tour back then.. I was a fan boy.. They could have all came out and took dumps on the stage and I would have thought it was cool. It did run it's course though and was very refreshing to see them come out during the Skin N' Bones tour stripped down and better than ever.

not a bad guide, very close to reality in terms of involved people, a bit messy during the early years and also during 93-2002 era, where the chronology is a bit unfortunate in the article, but otherwise definitely nice.

+ Fred Coury's temporary replacing of Adler in 1987 should have been mentioned, too. it wasn't an one-off, but a certain number of shows. and if I remember correctly, Duff wasn't considered a GNR member during 2014, so those two situations were quite similar. except Fred Coury has never been a member of the band, Duff was and was going to return permenently again, yes.

+ maybe they could have included one or two paragraphs about other guys who for example temporarily replaced some GNR member on shows (like Kid Chaos in 1988 etc.), and also some info about guys who left, but joined the band onstage someday later (Izzy, Robin Finck, Adler).

1 hour ago, zombux said:

not a bad guide, very close to reality in terms of involved people, a bit messy during the early years and also during 93-2002 era, where the chronology is a bit unfortunate in the article, but otherwise definitely nice.

+ Fred Coury's temporary replacing of Adler in 1987 should have been mentioned, too. it wasn't an one-off, but a certain number of shows. and if I remember correctly, Duff wasn't considered a GNR member during 2014, so those two situations were quite similar. except Fred Coury has never been a member of the band, Duff was and was going to return permenently again, yes.

+ maybe they could have included one or two paragraphs about other guys who for example temporarily replaced some GNR member on shows (like Kid Chaos in 1988 etc.), and also some info about guys who left, but joined the band onstage someday later (Izzy, Robin Finck, Adler).

The article was released on Dec 5th which was the anniversary of the show that premiered  Gilby and all the added touring members. That is why they focused on that...

On December 5, 2017 at 8:35 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I had no idea back then.. There wasn't any internet or anything.. I was 15 and jacked up beyond belief to see them for the first time.. Never mind the fact that I was on acid.. It was an amazing show.. I didn't mind the extra musicians for the tour back then.. I was a fan boy.. They could have all came out and took dumps on the stage and I would have thought it was cool. It did run it's course though and was very refreshing to see them come out during the Skin N' Bones tour stripped down and better than ever.

Acid seems like an appropriate choice for such an occasion - with the big sound and all the players.  Sounds very cool to get it as a surprise too.  I think the way you say it here makes perfect sense, in that it was cool in its way and also very cool to have a dirty rock band back later.  

Wish I could've been around for all that!

• Like 1