1991 UK Documentary

I do remember around 1991 I saw a GnR documentary advertised in the TV listings for the night, and I frantically tried to tune my TV and VCR to record it but couldn't get them to work and was really annoyed. There wasn't much GnR-only stuff on terrestrial TV at the time. This is most likely that documentary. The one I saw listed was on a station called Channel 4, I think, if that helps.

7 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

I saw and recorded this at the time. It probably sits somewhere on a long lost VHS with a bunch of Raw Power episodes. I always used to record that show as it was on at some ungodly hour.

Raw Power, lol. That was on about 2 a.m. on ITV.. I was about 11 years old at the time and used to sneak the TV on very quiet to watch it as I wasn't allowed to be up. It was basically the only chance of seeing any GnR on TV if you didn't have satellite, which we didn't. Most of the time I'd watch the whole show only for there to be no GnR feature. But at the very least there was always the snippet of Axl chucking his shades off from the Paradise City vid, which they including on the intro montage to the show, with the Aerosmith 'Love in an Elevator' solo as backing track. God the lengths we'd go to to catch anything at all GnR related. Ah those were the days.

here it is!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sidman69 said:

Not sure if you guys have seen this but this apparently aired in the UK in 1991. Can't seem to find the full version of it 

It actually aired in Feb '92 on a channel called LWT [London Weekend Television] so was most likely only seen by people from London and the SouthEast. It may have been called 30 Minutes. I had it on VHS tape.

21 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

It actually aired in Feb '92 on a channel called LWT [London Weekend Television] so was most likely only seen by people from London and the SouthEast. It may have been called 30 Minutes. I had it on VHS tape.

LWT produced shows that were shown nationwide in the UK. I lived in Scotland until 93 and then moved to Northern Ireland and we got a lot including this. 

I seem to remember You Bet and Celebrity Squares also being LWT. All were shown on ITV (regionally STV and UTV in Scotland and N. Ireland respectively). 

19 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

LWT produced shows that were shown nationwide in the UK. I lived in Scotland until 93 and then moved to Northern Ireland and we got a lot including this. 

I seem to remember You Bet and Celebrity Squares also being LWT. All were shown on ITV (regionally STV and UTV in Scotland and N. Ireland respectively). 

Oh, I didn't know that. It was shown on LWT but i believe it was produced by TVS and then picked up by LWT. So you saw it too? Did you record it?

• Like 1

I remember this so well, it was on a friday night shown on itv about 11.30. The ending of the programme had Axl on piano singing November Rain and the narrator saying " The biggest band in the world, but will they self destruct an the candle flame blow out"

Almost other than Paris 1992 on channel 4 my earliest memory of the band.

19 minutes ago, WindsorBoy147 said:

Almost other than Paris 1992 on channel 4 my earliest memory of the band.

Paris 1992 wasn't on terrestrial, it was on pay per view satellite.. maybe you're thinking of the Freddie Mercury tribute? That was on terrestrial.

That's odd, I specifically remember being bummed cos I couldn't watch it as we didn't have satellite.. to make things worse, I could *hear* my neighbours watching it next door, but I couldn't go round as I didn't know them..! -- Maybe the Channel 4 showing you mention was a repeat, I dunno. 

I did manage to get a copy of Ritz 88 recorded from the UK version of MTV Headbanger's Ball I think. But I don't think that concert was shown on terrestrial either. Man it really was hard work following bands back then, even when they were at the top of their game!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Oh, I didn't know that. It was shown on LWT but i believe it was produced by TVS and then picked up by LWT. So you saw it too? Did you record it?

No dude, sadly not. I did record the Robert John thing a couple of years later though.

2 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

Paris 1992 wasn't on terrestrial, it was on pay per view satellite.. maybe you're thinking of the Freddie Mercury tribute? That was on terrestrial.

Yeah Paris 92 was on Channel 4 in the UK. I still have my VHS of it. It was only PPV in the US. 

20 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Yeah Paris 92 was on Channel 4 in the UK. I still have my VHS of it. It was only PPV in the US. 

I saw it and recorded it on Premiere which was a cable channel, it was a film channel but it showed this live but although it was advertised as PPV we got it free as we already paid for the Premiere channel. I had no idea it was on Channel 4, if it was it wasn't live as i was the only one of my friends that could watch and record it. I then had to make copies for everyone which took ages.

Jesus fucking christ......IT WAS SHOWN  ON CHANNEL 4..........................fucking people lol

Funny how people who don't even remember, then swear they know what happened.............Literally the whole of my college watched it, Maybe true it wasnt live as i didnt start college until September, so the dates don't match up.

Edited by WindsorBoy147
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I saw it and recorded it on Premiere which was a cable channel, it was a film channel but it showed this live but although it was advertised as PPV we got it free as we already paid for the Premiere channel. I had no idea it was on Channel 4, if it was it wasn't live as i was the only one of my friends that could watch and record it. I then had to make copies for everyone which took ages.

There was a big build up to the Channel 4 showing, between ads it would flash up a grey screen with a band members name in yellow GNR font, Axl, Gilby etc. Was awesome.