downzy

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (***SPOILER THREAD***)

14 hours ago, tsinindy said:

You know since I've been grinding my ax.  I think someone may have mentioned, but Akbar's death should have been given a bit more reverence than it got b/c it was wasted by the whole Carrie Poppins stuff, so while everyone is sitting there processing that Leia just flew through space, Akbar got wasted.  WTF?

Why does Laura Dern get such a huge moment in this film, don't get me wrong I like Laura Dern, have nothing against, but when you are 8 movies in a series and you got a big deal scene like that, it should be for an established character.  

THIS! Like what the fuck. Her character was designed for us to hate her and feel she's a coward and then at the 11th hour it's revealed she's not and then she gets this big send off and heroic moment. So for a moment that should've been emotional and honorable it takes place with a character who we've all disliked for the majority of our brief time knowing her. It sucked. It ruined the moment. That should've been Akbar who did that or even Leia herself. You're so right. A moment like that should be reserved for an established and loved character. Not someone who we've known for 25 minutes and spent 20 of those minutes hating. 

• Like 1

I hope that Abrams will pretend VIII never happened and just start from VII again. That would be great. 

• Like 1

Carrie Poppins:lol:

Force or not, Leia should have been dead. There was no way she could have survived that. And she could have easily been written out of the film. 

Did anyone notice that the whole premise of the movie is a plothole? I actually had to check TFA to see if I'm not mistaken but at the end of that movie it's pretty tied with both losing a lot of army but at the start of this one Snoke dude is ruling the whole galaxy and there're like 200 rebels. How? Time didn't even pass between movies 

I think there is a lot of plot holes in there if one cares to delve deep into it! Full of MacGuffins also. That whole sequence to find a code breaker, which occupied much of the middle of the film, was one massive MacGuffin. The bit during that where they are riding on the back of weird CGI camels was like something from the prequels at their very worst. Awful.  

8 hours ago, Bono said:

THIS! Like what the fuck. Her character was designed for us to hate her and feel she's a coward and then at the 11th hour it's revealed she's not and then she gets this big send off and heroic moment. So for a moment that should've been emotional and honorable it takes place with a character who we've all disliked for the majority of our brief time knowing her. It sucked. It ruined the moment. That should've been Akbar who did that or even Leia herself. You're so right. A moment like that should be reserved for an established and loved character. Not someone who we've known for 25 minutes and spent 20 of those minutes hating. 

A friend of mine and I were talking about it yesterday and that absolutely should have been Ackbar or Leia doing that.