Slash/Duff >>> Down by the Ocean >>> We can hope

This may have already been discussed if so my bad... seems like it would be easy to have Slash and Duff add to that song if that wasn’t done already. Fly Steven in for dinner and work on that song thank him, then he can be on his merry way ;) Easier said than done! Only those close to that know how likely or not getting the original 5 together to do anything is. Everyone wants that but a lot of moving parts would have to fit! 

I think in 2018 we’ll have at least one new GNR song with Slash and Duff just based on how the tour looked from the outside and a lot time between now and when they resume, just my thoughts..... anyone care to add?  

27 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Why would they work on an Izzy song when Izzy wasn't even part of the tour and is probably on bad terms with them because of it? It makes no sense. I admire your blind faith and optimism though

working on izzys songs is always a great idea even when he is not around

hey, dont get me wrong, i understand that it would be pathetic to do it without izzy

but if they are gonna work on songs without izzy anyway, i much rather have them working on an izzy song than work on anything by those aliens

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jerry said:

This may have already been discussed if so my bad... seems like it would be easy to have Slash and Duff add to that song if that wasn’t done already. Fly Steven in for dinner and work on that song thank him, then he can be on his merry way ;) Easier said than done! Only those close to that know how likely or not getting the original 5 together to do anything is. Everyone wants that but a lot of moving parts would have to fit! 

I think in 2018 we’ll have at least one new GNR song with Slash and Duff just based on how the tour looked from the outside and a lot time between now and when they resume, just my thoughts..... anyone care to add?  

duff and izzy have mentioned that they recorded TAPES -- not just one song -- to give to axl

apparently most of the songs were written by izzy and duff but maybe slash was involved who knows

yeah it looks like everybody wants GNR together but...

but it looks like the truth seems to be that everybody wants GNR together except for axl, slash and duff

axl, slash and duff apparently dont want GNR together

they are doing just fine with a sad parody of it

apparently they prefer to deal with yes-men

and unsplitted loot

===

oh, and of course axl doesnt wanna be even more exposed

can you imagine GNR with no distractions?

no frank fucking up the songs

no speedy shitty tempo

no keyboarders

just the GNR guys

now in that scenario who would be the one guy who wouldnt be able to keep up with the others?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

working on izzys songs is always a great idea even when he is not around

hey, dont get me wrong, i understand that it would be pathetic to do it without izzy

but if they are gonna work on songs without izzy anyway, i much rather have them working on an izzy song than work on anything by those aliens

This broke my head. 

1) Its a "good idea"

2) its a "pathetic idea"

3) but if they do the "pathetic idea"

4) its still a "better than anything by those aliens" idea 

How could the band ever release new music with this as it's market..... It's a loose - loose, better than loosing to aliens situation for them. 🙂

Edited by Powderfinger

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

This broke my head. 

1) Its a "good idea"

2) its a "pathetic idea"

3) but if they do the "pathetic idea"

4) its still a "better than anything by those aliens" idea 

How could the band ever release new music with this as it's market..... It's a loose - loose, better than loosing to aliens situation for them. 🙂

if you think that a band need to worry about "market" before writing-recording-releasing-performing music, i dont think there is much for us to discuss hahahaha

• Like 1

On 7/12/2017 at 9:45 AM, hally187 said:

My read on the chats where Axl replies "Down by the Ocean (Izzy)" is that it is Izzy's song and not a Gn'R title... the above song's lyrics are too much of a coincidence IMO

It's a safe guess that Down By The Ocean was one of the songs Izzy worked on for GNR with Duff back in 1995.

There's an Izzy interview out there saying that Axl, years later, during the making of Chinese Democracy, called Izzy to tell him he wanted to work on a couple of songs from those tapes, that would explain why the title Down By The Ocean was included in the list of songs to be possibly included on CD at some point.

Nothing came out of it, so Izzy recycled it (under a new title) for his Fire album in 2007.

That sounds like a likely scenario.

From Axl's 2008 chats:

Q: Axl, here's a list of rumored song titles. Can you tell us which ones are bogus and which ones are real?
Ides Of March ('98), Oklahoma ('98), Atlas Shrugged ('99), Closing In On You ('99), Cock-A-Roach Soup ('99), Friend Or Foe ('99), Hearts Get Killed ('99), No Love Remains ('99), Oh My God ('99), Something Always ('99), Suckerpunched ('99), Zip It ('99), Silkworms ('00), Down By The Ocean ('01), Leave Me Alone ('02), Seven ('02), The General ('02), Thyme ('02), Quick Song ('05), Zodiac ('05), Motormouth ('06), We Were Lying ('06)

Axl: Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Leave Me Alone, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song , Zodiac Most all titles subject to change w/out warning and r considered working titles. 

It's possible though that it's the same song as Box that was posted above.

Edited by Blackstar