Whats the Appeal of Cover Bands?

ChristmasFnatic

I agree with you, I find it all a bit dud.  I guess its not something you're meant to take too seriously.  I mean if its a choice between sitting at home watching Family Fortunes or paying a fiver at the door to have a drink and a laugh and listen to some music then why not?  Not my thing personally but you're not really supposed to look at it with so much of a critical eye, its just a bit of fun.  Sort of like kareoke or whatever.

• Like 1

The only thing I'd add is bands starting out. All bands begin as basically cover bands and you add material and phrase the covers out.

I suppose most proper cover bands are just a part time thing for people with other commitments, students with garage bands, middle aged blokes having a pub blues band on a Saturday etc. Nothing wrong with it really. Guys with millions in the bank who are, as demonstrated by their history, talented (creatively) are practically lazy covers acts now - people like Rose - so you cannot begrudge somebody doing a little part time thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The only thing I'd add is bands starting out. All bands begin as basically cover bands and you add material and phrase the covers out.

I suppose most proper cover bands are just a part time thing for people with other commitments, students with garage bands, middle aged blokes having a pub blues band on a Saturday etc. Nothing wrong with it really. Guys with millions in the bank who are, as demonstrated by their history, talented (creatively) are practically lazy covers acts now - people like Rose - so you cannot begrudge somebody doing a little part time thing. 

Mirin how you never fail to take shots at Axl whenever you can. lol

Before my first ever cover band concert (which I found by accident), I thought the exact same thing - why any musician would be in or start a cover band, I'd rather go to the original band's concert, etc. then I became obsessed with a no-longer existing band but still wanted to go to parties, clubs, pubs, etc. where I can have fun to their songs. So, I gave it a try, went to one of the shows and enjoyed it so much that I went to the next one too and the list goes on. If you're in the same boat as me, I mean, can't afford the original band's ticket or they don't even come near to you but still want to hear their songs live, a cover band is your only choice. You just have to find the better ones (quality not quantity - thank God in my country there are a few of literally almost every bigger bands). And don't forget - these bands are celebrating and keep spreading their favourite musicians, idols with this and I think it's great (that's how one of my friends got into the Beatles). B-)

On 12/9/2017 at 8:52 AM, ChristmasFnatic said:

Can someone explain to  me whats the appeal about them? I understand if the original band dont exist anymore, otherwise, I just find it very bland. I mean, if a band plays covers, I guess thats normal, but for the whole show? And some even dresses like the original band they are copying.

I've been to a couple "tribute shows" for artists that I either can't see anymore or couldn't see while they were alive. To me, the appeal is it's generally fairly inexpensive and a fun night if you go with the right people. 

Here's a couple of examples of shows I've enjoyed. First up is Elvis, who passed away when I was 2 years old so I never had a chance to see him live. I've seen this guy, Trent Carlini, in Las Vegas in the same room Elvis performed in, so that was cool for me:

Then there's Michael Jackson, who I only got to see once but I miss dearly, so I go see this guy Jallas Franca every so often:

I got to see Prince 4 times before he passed, but since he's not with us, I'll go see Jason Tenner now and again:

Then there's a case like Pink Floyd where it's more about the light show and sounding exactly like them. I got to see Pink Floyd twice, David Gilmour solo once and Roger Waters at least 10 times. However, many of my friends never got that chance, so I'm more than happy to so see stuff like this with them:

• Like 1

Oh, tribute acts? I thought you meant pub bands who play solely covers? Then that is different entirely. I have never had any inclination to see a tribute act either, and every year The Bootleg Beatles play the City hall. A distant family member once dated ''George Harrison''. 

On 9-12-2017 at 2:52 PM, ChristmasFnatic said:

Can someone explain to  me whats the appeal about them? I understand if the original band dont exist anymore, otherwise, I just find it very bland. I mean, if a band plays covers, I guess thats normal, but for the whole show? And some even dresses like the original band they are copying.

Afforable (cheap) nostalgia. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh, tribute acts? I thought you meant pub bands who play solely covers? Then that is different entirely. I have never had any inclination to see a tribute act either, and every year The Bootleg Beatles play the City hall. A distant family member once dated ''George Harrison''. 

My sister went to see the bootleg Beatles once, I met her outside and there was this big twat dressed up as John Lennon in the lobby, looked kinda sad.  I think some former member of The Damned was with them at some point.

I don't even want to imagine how painful it must be to be a player in a tribute band, pretending to be someone else every night, using a copy of their gear and acting like them, copying their stage moves and all. I'd rather watch an original band play a few covers together than a full blown tribute act.

I do see the appeal in it from an audience perspective, though

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 2:05 PM, Len Cnut said:

I agree with you, I find it all a bit dud.  I guess its not something you're meant to take too seriously.  I mean if its a choice between sitting at home watching Family Fortunes or paying a fiver at the door to have a drink and a laugh and listen to some music then why not?  Not my thing personally but you're not really supposed to look at it with so much of a critical eye, its just a bit of fun.  Sort of like kareoke or whatever.

I'd rather watch Family Fortunes.

On 2017-12-12 at 12:01 PM, AslatIE said:

I don't even want to imagine how painful it must be to be a player in a tribute band, pretending to be someone else every night, using a copy of their gear and acting like them, copying their stage moves and all.

You can probably ask Tommy Thayer.

:awesomeface:

I lived in a mid sized University town for a bit.  It had a hall/theatre where the symphony played.  Also on site, the cities art gallery.  The symphonies theatre is where tribute bands, such as Pink Floyd and Gabriel era Genesis performed on tour.  These venues tend to survive or fail based on Seasons Ticket holders. They also have plays as part of the season tickets.  These publicly subsidized high art places are always dutifully trying to appeal to and be accessible to the lower classes; you know, who like that rock n roll music.  I think this creates a market for rock tribute bands, which are popular for theatrics, costumes and light shows to tour 'season ticket holder' symphonic venues.  The acts are still theatre in the eyes of the elites who can feel more in touch with Joe Six Pack (as a novelty) and the auto-line worker can dress up for a night out.  The well to do Season Ticket holders would mainly get Symphony performances of the great works of history and some Russian plays, while only once or twice a year being disrupted by rock.  

I went to Genesis and Floyd tributes as the venue was right around the corner and I had an in for cheap tickets.  Was very impressed with both. 

Wish I could've seen Zappa Plays Zappa before the family drama started.

Edited by soon

The Analogues take it to another extreme... they search the world to get the same instruments, gear, amps, that the Beatles used, to try and get everything as close as possible to the sound on the records. It's a complete obsession for these guys, everything has to be the same as the original.