#RipNetNeutrality

AxlRoseCDII

The woman really enjoys her Netflix so it will be interesting to see how this affects her.

We leach off my parents' account at the moment. Personally I think Netflix has gone down in quality these past few years, so I wouldn't be willing to pay a higher price to stream TV.

I am more hopelessly addicted to Reddit and forums. I am sure we can find loopholes to not pay. 

16 minutes ago, JONEZY said:

Yes it does.

Could someone explain to me, "a caveman" what this means?  Will I have to pay to watch You-Tube now?  Need the info.

Basically NN meant ISP's had to treat all traffic the same.

Without it they can choose to throttle Netflix if they wanted and charge you more to get better speeds.

3 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Basically NN meant ISP's had to treat all traffic the same.

Without it they can choose to throttle Netflix if they wanted and charge you more to get better speeds.

ISP providers already charge more for faster speeds.  And if certain ISP providers start to throttle certain services, etc....I'm sure eventually, one of their competitors won't...so then people would switch to the ISP providers that don't throttle services.  I would, anyway.

Also, 5G is right around the corner.  If cable providers start playing games with the internet, there will be ISP providers with the same bandwidth and speeds available using cell towers in a few years...so the competition should eliminate much of that....I would think so, anyway.

I don't think this is nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.  But who knows....I'll guess we'll find out.

Edited by Kasanova King

1 minute ago, -W.A.R- said:

I meant faster speeds for Netflix specifically (sorry i wasn't clear).

Ah, ok.  Well, if they start pulling that BS, I would think people would react with their wallets...change providers, etc.   

And on a side note, I have no idea what Republicans think they will gain by not trying to block this from happening.  If this causes higher priced internet, etc...the backlash would be devastating to them and just another bullet in Democrats' arsenal for 2018 and 2020....horrible move politically, imo.  

for me, it's pretty clear. i refuse to pay a penny more.

it's like the gas station. even if gas prices go up, i still only pay 40 euros at the gas station, every time i go

*yes, fill it up please.*

*how much, sir?*

*40 euro*

Edited by action

3 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Ah, ok.  Well, if they start pulling that BS, I would think people would react with their wallets...change providers, etc.   

And on a side note, I have no idea what Republicans think they will gain by not trying to block this from happening.  If this causes higher priced internet, etc...the backlash would be devastating to them and just another bullet in Democrats' arsenal for 2018 and 2020....horrible move politically, imo.  

THIS ISNT A REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT THING ITS THE GOVERNMENT TRYING TO CONTROL US

• GNFNR 1

22 minutes ago, Bassist4 said:

THIS ISNT A REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT THING ITS THE GOVERNMENT TRYING TO CONTROL US

I'm confused. How is the government geting out of internet regulation an attempt by the government to control you? Or have I misread your meaning?

5 hours ago, action said:

for me, it's pretty clear. i refuse to pay a penny more.

it's like the gas station. even if gas prices go up, i still only pay 40 euros at the gas station, every time i go

*yes, fill it up please.*

*how much, sir?*

*40 euro*

Don't you find Euros a really unimaginative name for a European currency?  Couldn't they have thought of something better.  I mean like, I dunno, anything.  Whats Europe associated with, being cosmopolitan, sophisticated?  Could've called em Cosmos or something :lol:  Sophistos :lol:  Flairos, Panache-o's :lol:  I quite like the sound of Cosmos!

Edited by Len Cnut
cuz i fuckin' felt like it, how dare you question me!
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Bassist4 said:

Oh it is.  Whether you agree with or not, for whatever reason....if this backfires and internet prices increase and services become worse, Republicans will be blamed.  

What amazes me is that Net Neutrality had bi-partisan support a few years ago....but this just goes to show that lobbies got involved, greased the right palms (Republicans).... to now make it a partisan issue.  If anyone has any doubt how much influence certain lobbies have in this country, this is pretty good evidence. 

Edited by Kasanova King

27 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Don't you find Euros a really unimaginative name for a European currency?  Couldn't they have thought of something better.  I mean like, I dunno, anything.  Whats Europe associated with, being cosmopolitan, sophisticated?  Could've called em Cosmos or something :lol:  Sophistos :lol:  Flairos, Panache-o's :lol:  I quite like the sound of Cosmos!

haha, Cosmos is pretty great.  Like in Canada our dollar coin has a bird called a Loon on it, so its called a Loonie.  And when a two dollar coin came out it was therefore called the Toonie.

On topic, will this US deregulation impact the Canadian market in any ways?  We have our own telecoms as regulated by the CRTC, but I still wonder.  Havent really followed this.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

they used to be called "franks" in belgium. that was even worse

frank

frank ferrer. got it?

I'll get me coat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

On topic, will this US deregulation impact the Canadian market in any ways?  We have our own telecoms as regulated by the CRTC, but I still wonder.  Havent really followed this.

I think some non-US people are looking at this as well with worried eyes and thinking, "Could this happen to our country as well?"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, action said:

they used to be called "franks" in belgium. that was even worse

frank

frank ferrer. got it?

I'll get me coat

To be fair I couldn't care less if Fred West, Condaleeza Rice, Frankie Howerd and Nana Maskouri were in the GnR lineup at the moment.  Actually, come to think about it, thats a line up I might go see! :lol:

• GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I do wonder how this will impact people whose primary means of income is internet based (freelancers, etc.).

It won't.  Unless their service is in direct competition with the ISP...as in a service like Netflix streaming via your cable company.

4 hours ago, soon said:

It's unlikely...unless a streaming service like Netflix has to charge more for their service since ISP providers might charge people more for watching it in the US, then people cancel Netflix...so Netflix in turn has charge more across the board in order to make up for lost revenue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

It won't.  Unless their service is in direct competition with the ISP...as in a service like Netflix streaming via your cable company.

Not true. It's  not so much that they'll actively fuck the little guys over. What will most likely happen is that they will create a pricing structure for sites and the guys who can pay more get the best service. 

23 hours ago, downzy said:

Voting has consequences.  Remember this the next time someone says there's no difference in voting Republican versus Democrat.

I hope a change such as loss of neutral internet encourages people to actually vote. From what I've read the majority of people voting are older and the age group 18-25 have the most unregistered people who don't bother voting.

The good news is a change such as the loss of internet will convince that age group to vote in the next election.