Rare Duff McKagan Interview 1991 On Pirate Radio

Oh god, poor woman, that must have been a hard interview for her.  Duff was not particularly coherent, or helpful towards the end.  But there were some little gems.  

Duff on singing on the album: "If you could call it singing."  Awww...

Having aspirations, even in 91, of going back to school, most of which he missed due to being in a band since he was 15

Not telling which strings he uses because he doesn't want to 'endorse brands'.  Heh...

Wanting to play on multiple instruments for the album was not to do with his ego.   And it does come through clearly that he just loves playing music.  That album must have offered some semblance of stability (he was always trying to establish pockets of stability in his life) amidst the storm that was GNR at that time.

Not wanting to elaborate on the meaning behind Believe In Me beyond saying 'it's personal'.  

Mumbling incoherently about his tattoos. :lol:

Thanks again Sid, you've come up with another interesting vid.:thumbsup:

32 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Oh god, poor woman, that must have been a hard interview for her.  Duff was not particularly coherent, or helpful towards the end.  But there were some little gems.  

Duff on singing on the album: "If you could call it singing."  Awww...

Having aspirations, even in 91, of going back to school, most of which he missed due to being in a band since he was 15

Not telling which strings he uses because he doesn't want to 'endorse brands'.  Heh...

Wanting to play on multiple instruments for the album was not to do with his ego.   And it does come through clearly that he just loves playing music.  That album must have offered some semblance of stability (he was always trying to establish pockets of stability in his life) amidst the storm that was GNR at that time.

Not wanting to elaborate on the meaning behind Believe In Me beyond saying 'it's personal'.  

Mumbling incoherently about his tattoos. :lol:

Thanks again Sid, you've come up with another interesting vid.:thumbsup:

Thanks! My favourite part is when the interview said "Duff you look great and healthy"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, by like a yer later he was playing Gibsons.  I swear he already had a GK deal too.  The way I heard it was he was saying 'I'm not going to endorse a string company for free' but I think your take is accurate, because he was on Pirate Radio ofter all.

Thanks for posting! I love that even though he was so messed up on booze and drugs at the time, he was still committed to his future education. Harvard, I hear they have a good law program... lol, yeah, so I've heard

Also, I agree with @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle, you can hear his egolessness about the music. He consistently seems to be all about the band (whichever one it is), not himself. Guess you have to sublimate your ego a bit if you're gonna survive in GnR...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, by like a yer later he was playing Gibsons.  I swear he already had a GK deal too.  The way I heard it was he was saying 'I'm not going to endorse a string company for free' but I think your take is accurate, because he was on Pirate Radio ofter all.

Oh, I was being sarcastic, hence the 'heh'.  Should have used the :facepalm: Or the :rolleyes:  

:lol:

4 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Oh, I was being sarcastic, hence the 'heh'.  Should have used the :facepalm: Or the :rolleyes:  

:lol:

Yeah, I got you even without emoji, haha!  Was agreeing, but wonder if he didnt at that time have strings deal (Rotosound iirc) and decided to sound like a punk in its absence.  Sometimes when they just seem to trail off, there actually seems to be a lot of calculation in hindsight.  While royalties are only paid out quarterly and after expenses are covered to label and with tour money coming even slower, those endorsements would be a big part of his livelihood, day to day, at that point.