The MYGNRFORUM Around the World Song Challenge

BlueJean Baby

Day 88

Greece

And we came to "my" day, so I'll post even more than I usually do :P

I'll start with Greek rock bands singing in English

Spoiler

Stoner rock is probably what we mostly produce currently in this respect. Nightstalker (posted by @BlueJean Baby) is the oldest and most known band. There are a few others, like:

And something with Greek lyrics by a band that incorporates Greek folk elements, like clarinet (I think I've posted them again in another challenge when we were required to post something from our country)

Spoiler

This band moved to L.A. a few years ago and made some connections there. They have been signed to Lemmy's label, Steve Ablini engineered one of their albums and Tom Zutaut was involved with them. They have been hyped among some underground circles. Tbh I don't see anything in them that can justify the hype (on the contrary), but anyway...

Spoiler

The two most (relatively) successful bands outside Greece  (both from the 70s) were Aphrodite's Child (posted by @bucketfoot) and this one (Vangelis was involved with them too for this album):

Spoiler

And two of the most popular anglophone bands locally in the 80s and 90s and also successful outside Greece within the limits of their genres (psychedelic rock and garage punk):

Some of the most popular and acclaimed rock bands and artists singing in Greek:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The name of this band translates as "Babies On Fire" (from the Brian Eno song):

But I have to post this collaboration "gem" too :lol:

Spoiler

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Day 88

Greece

And we came to "my" day, so I'll post even more than I usually do :P

I'll start with Greek rock bands singing in English

Reveal hidden contents

Stoner rock is probably what we mostly produce currently in this respect. Nightstalker (posted by @BlueJean Baby) is the oldest and most known band. There are a few others, like:

And something with Greek lyrics by a band that incorporates Greek folk elements, like clarinet (I think I've posted them again in another challenge when we were required to post something from our country)

Reveal hidden contents

This band moved to L.A. a few years ago and made some connections there. They have been signed to Lemmy's label, Steve Ablini engineered one of their albums and Tom Zutaut was involved with them. They have been hyped among some underground circles. Tbh I don't see anything in them that can justify the hype (on the contrary), but anyway...

Reveal hidden contents

The two most (relatively) successful bands outside Greece  (both from the 70s) were Aphrodite's Child (posted by @bucketfoot) and this one (Vangelis was involved with them too for this album):

Reveal hidden contents

And two of the most popular anglophone bands locally in the 80s and 90s and also successful outside Greece within the limits of their genres (psychedelic rock and garage punk):

Some of the most popular and acclaimed rock bands and artists singing in Greek:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

The name of this band translates as "Babies On Fire" (from the Brian Eno song):

But I have to post this collaboration "gem" too :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Great stuff. I'll be giving all of that a listen, love a bit of stoner rock anyway (listening to Planet of Zeus atm and it's very good) and Barb Wire Dolls is certainly a great name.

Also, thanks for giving us Vangelis, well not you but.... thank you Greece. :lol:

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Great stuff. I'll be giving all of that a listen, love a bit of stoner rock anyway (listening to Planet of Zeus atm and it's very good) and Barb Wire Dolls is certainly a great name.

I've got a part 2 coming up :lol: but it isn't rock.

• Like 1

Day 88

Greece part 2

Greek popular music. The current majority of it sucks, so I'll post mostly stuff from past decades.

Due to geographical and historical factors, Greek music has both western and eastern elements. Rebetiko, a musical genre played by Greeks living in Asia Minor and then migrating in Greece as refugees after WWI, was the basis of urban Greek popular music.

A song from the opening scene of a movie about the history of rebetiko (interwoven with Greek history):

Spoiler

Another repost from the other time. The two earliest recordings of Misirlou (known from the Dick Dale surf version), both by Greek immigrants in the U.S and sung in Greek. The first one is more "oriental", the other closer to rebetiko:

Spoiler

Spoiler

A "neo-rebetiko" written by one of the most acclaimed Greek composers. It's from a 60s neorealist film.

The same composer wrote this song, the English version of which was covered by The Beatles (Paul wanted to do it, John thought it was cheesy :lol:):

Spoiler

A neo-traditional song by another composer:

It's been common here to set poetry to music. This an exampe of it and also of fusing Greek music with rock. The singer has a good rock voice and is very popular but also despised by many because he's seen as something like the Greek Bono :lol:

And a song called "August", which blends western and eastern elements (the latter are mainly the vocals):

Two movie themes written by another famous Greek composer:

Spoiler

And some classical

One of the greatest sopranos of all time:

Spoiler

Nikos Skalkotas, like classical composers in other countries, wrote music inspired by Greek dances

Spoiler

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2