What Are You Listening To 2018

Sosso

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

See, this is how one chucks up an embarrassing post count (and get accused of being net addicted social inadequate). This is how it happens, not intensive posting on Axl Rose's larynx. 

If it helps my case any i think I'm about to puke :lol: 

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Give that a go :) 

Thanks! Great doc. Learned lots. Never knew that Ska meant "skinhead reggae." Seeing those young kids all dancing together in the early days was really eye opening (and precious). Its such an absurd thing what the NF did to the scene. But it felt very familiar as a Christian - the cooptation and subversion of something beautiful and unifying, by outside forces of division. Really cool about the ongoing reunions. That one artist fro the latter Oi era who was positive and quit the scene because of the attacks on his gigs was quite something. Reminded me of celebrities quitting twitter.

What are "the terraces?" I know what a terrace is - a walled outside sitting area - but I couldnt make sense with the references to people being 'from the terraces'?

16 hours ago, janrichmond said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

@soon try these 

Thanks! We had a nice dance party to these last night. :) Cool tracks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soon said:

Thanks! Great doc. Learned lots. Never knew that Ska meant "skinhead reggae." Seeing those young kids all dancing together in the early days was really eye opening (and precious). Its such an absurd thing what the NF did to the scene. But it felt very familiar as a Christian - the cooptation and subversion of something beautiful and unifying, by outside forces of division. Really cool about the ongoing reunions. That one artist fro the latter Oi era who was positive and quit the scene because of the attacks on his gigs was quite something. Reminded me of celebrities quitting twitter.

What are "the terraces?" I know what a terrace is - a walled outside sitting area - but I couldnt make sense with the references to people being 'from the terraces'?

Thanks! We had a nice dance party to these last night. :) Cool tracks!

Terraces means football terraces, where you watch football matches, it was cheap affordable for working classes, instead of seats you stood on their terraces.

Ska actually comes basically from black carribean musicials trying to play rhythm and blues.  Trouble was they were learning by ear from off the radio so when they heard like the ba-boom-ba-boom-ba-boom of the 12 bar blues they made their own piecemeal version which was the skank rhythm, that clipped staccato rhythm that became basically what reggae is, the term Ska is like a vocalisation of that rhythm, the sound it makes, ska ska ska ska.  

Ska doesnt mean skinhead reggae, its just what was popular in Jamaica in the 60s so when the immigrants came over and started hanging out with the white lads who would become the skinheads that was the music they listened to.  Ska is just early reggae, made for partying and preceeding the 70s Bob Marley era reggae that was more or less the same thing but most slow and relaxed and spacey.  Bob and The Wailers early releases were Ska.

But really and truly it just came from carribean musicans hearing the 12 bar blues wrong and making their own thing of it.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Terraces means football terraces, where you watch football matches, it was cheap affordable for working classes, instead of seats you stood on their terraces.

Ska actually comes basically from black carribean musicials trying to play rhythm and blues.  Trouble was they were learning by ear from off the radio so when they heard like the ba-boom-ba-boom-ba-boom of the 12 bar blues they made their own piecemeal version which was the skank rhythm, that clipped staccato rhythm that became basically what reggae is, the term Ska is like a vocalisation of that rhythm, the sound it makes, ska ska ska ska.  

Ska doesnt mean skinhead reggae, its just what was popular in Jamaica in the 60s so when the immigrants came over and started hanging out with the white lads who would become the skinheads that was the music they listened to.  Ska is just early reggae, made for partying and preceeding the 70s Bob Marley era reggae that was more or less the same thing but most slow and relaxed and spacey.  Bob and The Wailers early releases were Ska.

But really and truly it just came from carribean musicans hearing the 12 bar blues wrong and making their own thing of it.

Football terraces, I see, thanks. Terraces are a bougie thing here, so while I could gather they were poor I wondered if the classes were so finely stratified that dirt poor folks thought other poor folks were bougie, lol. 

One of the interviewees in the doc said about the word mash up of skinhead and reggae making Ska. But I guess he got it wrong (or I misheard).

I imagine the radio was often fuzzy too, further explaining the reinterpretation. Thats so neat how that came together! I can totally hear it from you description. And I love a good onomatopoeia!

I havent heard all that much Ska, but if Im not mistaken it is like the 12 bar blues and rock in that it places the rhythmical emphasis on the 2 and 4 in 4/4 time? And Reggae places emphasis (downbeat) on the 1 and 3. 

On the track there is a neat open high hat on the 1 and 3 almost foreshadowing reggae, maybe. And because you shared about the 12 bars influence I can really see how the bass player is informed by that but just not doing as much 'walking' lines in the pocket.

(delayed response to your post because I was much to high at the time I received it, lol)

Football terraces, I see, thanks. Terraces are a bougie thing here, so while I could gather they were poor I wondered if the classes were so finely stratified that dirt poor folks thought other poor folks were bougie, lol. 

They were just basically concrete where fans all piled in and stood.  They were later gotten rid of as being dangerous.

I imagine the radio was often fuzzy too, further explaining the reinterpretation. Thats so neat how that came together! I can totally hear it from you description. And I love a good onomatopoeia!

I havent heard all that much Ska, but if Im not mistaken it is like the 12 bar blues and rock in that it places the rhythmical emphasis on the 2 and 4 in 4/4 time? And Reggae places emphasis (downbeat) on the 1 and 3. 

Ska and reggae both are on the downbeat, its just one is played faster and the other not so fast.  Also reggae became more closely associate thematically with the Rastafari religion and such whereas Ska was just good time music.

Edited by Len Cnut

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Ska and reggae both are on the downbeat, its just one is played faster and the other not so fast.  Also reggae became more closely associate thematically with the Rastafari religion and such whereas Ska was just good time music.

I see. One can still use snare or high hat to note a 2 and 4, but they dont have to denote the down beat? In reggae its about where the kick is emphasized. In reggae its played either on the 3 only, on 1 and 3 (like rock) or with a kick drum hit on all 4. 

http://www.how-to-play-reggae.com/Play-Reggae-Drum-Beats.html

• Like 1

On 22/10/2018 at 5:34 PM, soon said:

I see. One can still use snare or high hat to note a 2 and 4, but they dont have to denote the down beat? In reggae its about where the kick is emphasized. In reggae its played either on the 3 only, on 1 and 3 (like rock) or with a kick drum hit on all 4. 

http://www.how-to-play-reggae.com/Play-Reggae-Drum-Beats.html

Its a lot trickier than it looks y'know.  Even on the guitar.  People think the skank is to do with like, muting only but its more to do with like, upstrokes, its a simple form but its like...backwards.  And it gets REALLY interesting when you get into like, dub reggae which was a thing they had in Jamaica where in Jamaica they had like Sound System battles, like who had the loudest baddest sound system, each DJ would have their own and their developed a form called dub reggae where they would take popular songs and strip them of their vocals so you've got just drum and bass.  Its highly experimental music, they'd fuck around with like echo and all this shit to make this trippy groovy sort of music.  Then a thing called 'toasting' became popular where a given DJ would like, 'toast' himself or his sound system and how bad they are/were etc, they'd just lazily rhyme words, taking the idea from 50s DJs on American radio that would do little lead ins like 'for racks and stacks of the best on wax tune into WKFL radio!'.  Anyway toasting became a massive thing, some of the greatest artists of reggae and people like U Roy, here's an example of a dub tune with toasting on it, less extreme experimental dub, more poppy:

The tune its being done to is Soul Rebel by Bob Marley, which I'm sure you recognise.  Anyway, in 1973 a jamaican called DJ Kool Herc takes the sound system idea and transplants it to NYC block parties, instead taking two popular records, stripping the vocals and mixing them together, which an MC rhyming over it instead of the DJ and hence you have hip hop.  

Amazing when you think about it, this tiny little island that only gained independence from colonial rule in the early 60s and from then on their fingerprint is all over popular culture.  Even a lot of modern dance music, House, Techno etc all take serious cues from reggae, for example Jungle and Hardcore and just speeded up versions of dub reggae, or even if you look at dubstep and a lot of other stuff, I could go on about it all day really.  Its influence on punk is immeasurable, dub reggae is basically what punk clubs played in the early days thanks to Don Letts being as how there was no punk music to play and reggae had a similar anti-establishment stance, stemming from rastas who were like, social outcasts in Jamaica.  See people think of Jamaica and think 'ah, rastas everywhere' but until very recently you could not be a rasta and be accepted in mainstream Jamaican society and there are still those who take a dim view to their super spiritual weed smoking old testament view of the world.  The whole thing comes from the old testament really, everything in Rastafarianism draws from the old testament and reggae music is VERY religious, especially the stuff of the 70s and even later, very strict biblical values.  Even the weed smoking the believe is something ordained by the bible, a reference to Moses burning incense when praying, they believe that to be allegorical to weed smoking, that it gets you in a pure spiritual statement of mind, rastafari even refer to weed as 'ishence' or incense.  Its basically an affro-ccentric view of the old testament.  some of the more extreme aspects of it, like the rampant homophobia, also takes it cue from the bible.  Anyway here's some purist badman dub if you're interested:

• GNFNR 1