Oldest Goat

The MyGNR Book Club

One thing we may have overlooked about access to books is that blockbuster new releases will likely not be available at libraries; they are likely 100 deep in holds.  And they are also less likely to have been made available online, as they are still in their sales hey-day.  Also less likely to be able to borrow from a friend as they are likely reading it, still enjoying it as a conversation piece on their shelf, etc.

All this means is that I might have to sit some out.  Which is fine, but I thought worthy of a mention.

4 hours ago, soon said:

One thing we may have overlooked about access to books is that blockbuster new releases will likely not be available at libraries; they are likely 100 deep in holds.  And they are also less likely to have been made available online, as they are still in their sales hey-day.  Also less likely to be able to borrow from a friend as they are likely reading it, still enjoying it as a conversation piece on their shelf, etc.

All this means is that I might have to sit some out.  Which is fine, but I thought worthy of a mention.

Sorry, I wondered that too, I was actually going to vote for The Dispossessed but they don't have that or Mists of Avalon at my local library just Handmaid's Tale and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, which was tied for my first choice anyway. No one I know has any so they're no fucking help lol

• GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Sorry, I wondered that too, I was actually going to vote for The Dispossessed but they don't have that or Mists of Avalon at my local library just Handmaid's Tale and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, which was tied for my first choice anyway. No one I know has any so they're no fucking help lol

Oh, no need to apologize.  So your library has available copies of Astro in a hurry?  

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh, no need to apologize.  So your library has available copies of Astro in a hurry?  

Yip, 2 available

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yip, 2 available

Nice.  Hopefully my wait list will burn through with people not picking up their earlier holds in time.  Long list here though, so unlikely.

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

Nice.  Hopefully my wait list will burn through with people not picking up their earlier holds in time.  Long list here though, so unlikely.

Voting isn't over yet though, something else might win.

You can read The Dispossessed online here, if you're interested:

https://libcom.org/library/dispossessed-ursula-le-guin

Also in epub:

https://libcom.org/files/The Dispossessed - Ursula K. Le Guin_0.epub

and mobi (kindle):

https://libcom.org/files/The Dispossessed - Ursula K. Le Guin.mobi

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

47 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Voting isn't over yet though, something else might win.

Yeah Im still hoping for The Dispossessed!  I have it right here with me.

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

W-W-W-WINNER!

February 2018 Book of the Month:
Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Woot woot!!! Ok, when do we start reading and What s the due date for our fun homework?

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

14 minutes ago, GuitarFanfromNYC said:

Woot woot!!! Ok, when do we start reading and What s the due date for our fun homework?

Start reading a.s.a.p. I'm going to try and get my copy either today or tomorrow. I think we should try and dial-back the due date a bit so we're not starting right at the end of every month, so I'd say around 19th or 20th of March.

I've just remembered when @soon asked when is discussion allowed so just to re-clarify that; it's whenever you guys damn well please :lol: I'm not the boss of anyone, the rules(which hopefully aren't too strict) and the due date is really only there so we have some semblance of organization and can begin voting for the next book when the time comes. Anyone can say whatever they want about the books and even comment or compare past books, if they want. Also, this is just a fun thread on this larger forum so anyone can participate even if they're not a club member, just means they won't be on the list so can't nominate books.

Edited by Oldest Goat
  • Like 1

I hate to admit it but I've been fairly busy and STILL haven't read the damn thing...feeling pretty slack, hopefully I can finish it in time. How's everyone else doing?

13 hours ago, GuitarFanfromNYC said:

it's coming slowly. another week? anyone  finished?

Nope, yeah we'll just give it at least another week haha