The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

16 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

That doesn’t sound right.  Catholics confess so that they can receive communion.  First Holy Communion usually isn’t until age 6 or 7.

And you only go to reconciliation once before your first Holy Communion.

If I could pick any religion to be born into if I weren't born into Islam it'd be Catholicism.  I think it has something to do with my romantic notions about Irishmen (some of em anyway, they ain't all Catholic as I'm sure you know :lol:) and Italian gangsters.  Its a really cool religion, I mean in the sense of like...stylish. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

That doesn’t sound right.  Catholics confess so that they can receive communion.  First Holy Communion usually isn’t until age 6 or 7.

And you only go to reconciliation once before your first Holy Communion.

She started the school at 5. I’m not sure when the rest of it came along. 

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

She started the school at 5. I’m not sure when the rest of it came along. 

“For Catholics, Holy Communion is the third of seven sacraments received. It occurs only after receiving Baptism, and once the person has reached the age of reason (usually, around the second grade). First confession (the first sacrament of penance) must precede the reception of the Eucharist.”

I guess some have it earlier.

But from what I remember it wasn’t anything like them forcing us to “confess your sins!”  lol

It was basically things like “I upset my parents, I didn’t listen to my teacher, I got into a fight with another kid, etc”. Basically the kind of stuff you would be disciplined for at that age. 

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

“For Catholics, Holy Communion is the third of seven sacraments received. It occurs only after receiving Baptism, and once the person has reached the age of reason (usually, around the second grade). First confession (the first sacrament of penance) must precede the reception of the Eucharist.”

But from what I remember it wasn’t anything like them forcing us to “confess your sins!”  lol

It was basically things like “I upset my parents, I didn’t listen to my teacher, I got into a fight with another kid, etc”. Basically the kind of stuff you would be disciplined for at that age. 

‘Disciplined’ eh? :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

If I could pick any religion to be born into if I weren't born into Islam it'd be Catholicism.  I think it has something to do with my romantic notions about Irishmen (some of em anyway, they ain't all Catholic as I'm sure you know :lol:) and Italian gangsters.  Its a really cool religion, I mean in the sense of like...stylish. 

The thing with Catholicism is, at least where I grew up, that you don't really talk about your faith. You may go to mass and you believe in what the church preaches, but you don't sit around talking about it. I always believed that with other religions, even Protestantism, people talk about it more. My grandparents are the last generation who were religious, went to mass every week, but that more or less stopped with my parents' generation, and for my generation... I guess I'm one of the last generations who has gone through all the Catholic traditions but almost never went to church anymore, except for weddings, funerals and Christmas. Most kids nowadays don't even get baptized anymore over here. But even for my grandparents' generation I don't think being Catholic had a huge impact on their life like you see with some religions... it was just there, and you devoted some time in your week to go to mass and maybe prayer, but that's about it, even though they might have still been religious.

24 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

lol...no, they didn’t hit us either (or anything else you might be referring to) 

Progress reports sent home to parents, that sort of thing. 

I know mate, I was just having a wind up.  Come to that I don't think the odd slap does a kid too much harm either :lol:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Yeah, she went to a convent school ran by a bunch of nuns. It was VERY fire and brimstone and wot not according to her.

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

Catholics confess so that they can receive communion. 

So little sinners will have to wait until they are 6-7 before they can be absolved for their sins?? What if they die before they are old enough, will they then go to hell for all eternity??

Just now, SoulMonster said:

So little sinners will have to wait until they are 6-7 before they can be absolved for their sins?? What if they die before they are old enough, will they then go to hell for all eternity??

Nope.  Baptism absolves them from original sin up until they are of age to confess/first Holy Communion, etc.   

(And you only go to hell for mortal sins anyway).  Not sure too many 5 or 6 year olds even have the capacity to commit a mortal sin. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I've said it before: I believe one of the reasons we are so irreligious here in Norway is because Lutheranism is so bland. If we'd hold onto the rituals, mysticism, trappings, bells and whistles of Catholicism it would have more appeal to people. You need something to take your mind off the underlying stupidity.

Just now, Kasanova King said:

Nope.  Baptism absolves them from original sin up until they are of age to confess/first Holy Communion, etc.   

(And you only go to hell for mortal sins anyway).  Not sure too many 5 or 6 year olds even have the capacity to commit a mortal sin. 

Is drawing on my fucking coach a mortal sin?

And that's not an original sin. That's a new sin. How can the little bastards be absolved from new sins they commit themselves, and not inherited sin from Eve and her wicked eating of an apple?

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I've said it before: I believe one of the reasons we are so irreligious here in Norway is because Lutheranism is so bland. If we'd hold onto the rituals, mysticism, trappings, bells and whistles of Catholicism it would have more appeal to people. You need something to take your mind off the underlying stupidity.

Is drawing on my fucking coach a mortal sin?

And that's not an original sin. That's a new sin. How can the little bastards be absolved from new sins they commit themselves, and not inherited sin from Eve and her wicked eating of an apple?

I don’t think drawing on your couch is any type of sin, actually.  Unless the child did it with intention to upset or harm someone else (highly doubtful). And either way, it’s not a mortal sin.

They are pretty much absolved until “the age of reason” hence that’s why they wait until that age for first communion, etc.

16 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

They are pretty much absolved until “the age of reason” hence that’s why they wait until that age for first communion, etc.

Why are the little guys absolved from original sin untill they get older? What happens at this age so that suddenly they should be punished for the transgressions of Eve? If the sin is inherited the age of the sinner shouldn't matter. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Why are the little guys absolved from original sin untill they get older? What happens at this age so that suddenly they should be punished for the transgressions of Eve? If the sin is inherited the age of the sinner shouldn't matter. 

They are absolved from original sin at baptism.  They no longer need to be “forgiven” for original sin as long as they live.

The reason for first communion is that when a child gets to the “age of reason” then they technically are able to commit a sin.  It’s really not that complicated. 

Before the “age of reason” children really aren’t capable of committing sins....just like most of you are alluding to. 

18 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

They are absolved from original sin at baptism.  

How humane.

But if they die before baptism they go to hell? Even if they are killed? And since you catholics think abortion is the killing of humans, I assume you think these fetuses go to hell, too?

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Teaching children they're full of sin and brainwashing and guilt-tripping them is child abuse.

This is the kind of ridiculous hateful shit that reminds me why I don't feel the need to pretend these beliefs are worthy of any respect.

"I believe unbaptized babies go to a dimension of horror and everyone including little kids are full of sin; respect that." Lmfao

I’m not sure who teaches that.  Most children are pretty much “free of sin”.  Certainly free of mortal sins. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

How humane.

But if they die before baptism they go to hell? Even if they are killed? And since you catholics think abortion is the killing of humans, I assume you think these fetuses go to hell, too?

I don’t think so.  Old church teachings said they went into some sort of limbo, not hell.   And I’m pretty sure if is out of their control, they are also absolved.   

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

I don’t think so.  Old church teachings said they went into some sort of limbo, not hell.   And I’m pretty sure if is out of their control, they are also absolved.   

Why is heaven out of reach for poor, innocent babies who have done nothing except die before their parets had the chance to baptism them?

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Why is heaven out of reach for poor, innocent babies who have done nothing except die before their parets had the chance to baptism them?

I don’t think it is.  There’s debate within the Church but I tend to favor that if it is out of the child’s control then they are also absolved. 

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I don’t think it is.  There’s debate within the Church but I tend to favor that if it is out of the child’s control then they are also absolved. 

Is that the official stance of the catholic church? That baptism is not required for access to heaven?

Just now, Kasanova King said:

I’ll take Pope Francis’ stance on that subject when he says “Who are we to judge?”

He is the representative of god on earth, so I think it is up to him to judge, don't you? If the catholic church can't judge o something that is so explicitly forbidden in the bible, then I don't know what kind of authority they expect to wield on any issue whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Is that the official stance of the catholic church? That baptism is not required for access to heaven?

He is the representative of god on earth, so I think it is up to him to judge, don't you? If the catholic church can't judge o something that is so explicitly forbidden in the bible, then I don't know what kind of authority they expect to wield on any issue whatsoever.

I think if a child passes before he/she has the chance to be baptized, the child will not go to hell.  That’s my personal belief.  I think the official stance of the church is limbo with the possibility of heaven.

A non judgemental authority, maybe?

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The people/religion who has persecuted them for hundreds of years, that's who. He is just a PR-Pope doing damage control by disingenuously trying to appear to be not quite as fucked up as usual by jumping on a bandwagon of rather basic morals. Too little too late. It's so mindblowing anyone would think there's anything holy about these very fallible clowns.

Is abortion a sin, yes or no?

Sorry you feel that way.

As far as abortion goes, personally yes, I think it’s a sin.  Unless it’s done during some sort of medical procedure to save the Mother’s life, etc.

35 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I’ll take Pope Francis’ stance on that subject when he says “Who are we to judge?”

Don't back pedal from these motherfuckers man, tell em what it is, yes, he's a catholic so he don't believe in being gay and in abortions, why are yous climbing up his arse about it, you know this shit anyway, its what he believes, it might not be what I believe but I ain't him and it ain't up to me just like it ain't up to none of yous.  There ain't a man alive that at least I believe all the same shit as as I'm sure is the case with the rest of you so give the guy a break.

Are yous like this with actual real people you know and meet?  I bet you're not and if you are God you must struggle to make friends.  You don't bowl up to Chinese guys goin' 'so...yous eat dogs do ya?  Don't lie, I saw you eyeing up my Jack Russell, you dirty motherfucker' :lol:  Yous know the answers to these questions you're asking. 

Edited by Len Cnut