The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

10 minutes ago, action said:

why do people get drunk? to stop thinking about things. it's so addicting to shut down your mind, that alcoholism is a true plague.

Not me... I drink to feel and think differently about things. Most of the time I am in a constant state of numbness with no highs, no lows. Alcohol, or anything else that alters the mind, helps me break away from that monotony. 

On 2-7-2019 at 11:24 PM, Oldest Goat said:

You're very confused to the point you can't follow what me or Soulie or this scientist are saying, you try to evade and put words in my mouth and you're a hypocrite. Very angry and ignorant. I hope you figure things out mate, good luck and believe it or not I'm not meaning that in a patronizing way. If you can't take a step back and get ahold of yourself then just don't communicate with me/put me in ignore. It's a shame but it's not my job to put up with you, I don't have the patience to suffer fools.

Regardless, I will try to be more sensitive and respectful.

51 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Lmfao you just stare into space and condescend to your wife to "create peace" when she needs help with chores and the kids? 

@SoulMonster when are you going to fucking grow up you god damn scientist?

well, that didn't work out well.

how is your journey to becoming more sensitive and respectfull coming about, Oldest Goat? Still a long way to go, I see... 

Edited by action

42 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Not me... I drink to feel and think differently about things. Most of the time I am in a constant state of numbness with no highs, no lows. Alcohol, or anything else that alters the mind, helps me break away from that monotony. 

I stopped using alcohol, more than a year ago, and it was the best decision of my life.

I find, if you can clear your mind without alcohol, you're truly a master of life. The best kind of numbness, is the kind your own mind produces without the help of filthy substances like alcohol, that harm your body. 

I don't say that I can do it every time, it rarely does, but when it does, like I said: best moments of my life. 

Thinking is so fucking overrated.

46 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I get what you mean about how you enjoy those moments when your head is totally empty and your looking at flowers etc but the bit that confuses me is that there MUST be some things which you accept as facts. e.g rain falls from the sky. Why don't these things bother you? You must have had to think about how that happens.

I find it almost unbelievable how you can dislike thinking so much and eliminate it from your life. I wish i could do it, it seems a much simpler way to live.

I suppose that's what drugs are for.

there once was a time when I wondered about those things. I wanted to know everything about everything. God damn, did I read many books (too many), watched many documentaries, went to university. And all it achieved was stuffing my head with knowledge, and those years went by and was all just a fucking waste of time. I didn't find the time to enjoy nature, to enjoy simple things, and I vowed to live each day like its my last one, from the day I realised this.

I find, churches and religion, that tell you "it's all God's doing, all God's plan", I find that massively comforting and peacefull. It's all ok, God will take care of it. I can't begin to tell you how much burden this realisation got off my shoulders.

Dangerous thinking? Sure. The world is not served with people like me. But who is the world served with then? The world is going down anyway. In so many million of years the sun will eat the planet and we'll all be long dead before that. So why bother? It WILL get worse from here on out, nothing we can do about it, even if we ALL lived better lives from now on.

See, I'm thinking too much already. why fucking bother? I need to find me some goddamn peace again. Fuck you thinkers and intellectuals :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, action said:

there once was a time when I wondered about those things. I wanted to know everything about everything. God damn, did I read many books (too many), watched many documentaries, went to university. And all it achieved was stuffing my head with knowledge, and those years went by and was all just a fucking waste of time. I didn't find the time to enjoy nature, to enjoy simple things, and I vowed to live each day like its my last one, from the day I realised this.

I find, churches and religion, that tell you "it's all God's doing, all God's plan", I find that massively comforting and peacefull. It's all ok, God will take care of it. I can't begin to tell you how much burden this realisation got off my shoulders.

Dangerous thinking? Sure. The world is not served with people like me. But who is the world served with then? The world is going down anyway. In so many million of years the sun will eat the planet and we'll all be long dead before that. So why bother? It WILL get worse from here on out, nothing we can do about it, even if we ALL lived better lives from now on.

See, I'm thinking too much already. why fucking bother? I need to find me some goddamn peace again. Fuck you thinkers and intellectuals :lol:

😂 Haha ok, it was a piss take. I can normally sense it right off the bat (I sort of did). Well done you did have me there for a second.

1 hour ago, action said:

I stopped using alcohol, more than a year ago, and it was the best decision of my life.

I find, if you can clear your mind without alcohol, you're truly a master of life. The best kind of numbness, is the kind your own mind produces without the help of filthy substances like alcohol, that harm your body. 

But I drink to get away from the numbness and to feel different. I know a lot of people drink to escape and forget their problems, but I just want to have a good time. I'm not an all or nothing type of person, that's too boring, there is nothing wrong with having a drink or two, or three, or twenty every now and then. Like everything in life, it's about moderation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sad news, people. Schools in South Dakota (one of the smaller, less advanced states within USA) are now putting up mandated "In God We Trust" signs. This is apparently the motto of USA (!) and now schools have to brandish it for all to see. Like wearing a hat that says, "2+2=5". Supposedly this new bill is meant to "foster patriotism" among students. Ugh. As if Americans aren't patriostupid enough as it is. We don't need new generations in USA growing up believing in gods and being more patriotic. And to hell with religious freedom and freedom from religion!

On 7/29/2019 at 6:02 AM, SoulMonster said:

Sad news, people. Schools in South Dakota (one of the smaller, less advanced states within USA) are now putting up mandated "In God We Trust" signs. This is apparently the motto of USA (!) and now schools have to brandish it for all to see. Like wearing a hat that says, "2+2=5". Supposedly this new bill is meant to "foster patriotism" among students. Ugh. As if Americans aren't patriostupid enough as it is. We don't need new generations in USA growing up believing in gods and being more patriotic. And to hell with religious freedom and freedom from religion!

So if the people of a state overwhelmingly support the new law, isn’t that democracy at work?

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Huh? Yes, sure. Which understates what backwards people live in South Dakota. 

You wouldn't be caught dead talking about how backwards people live in a black ghetto. You instead go after the socially acceptable group to kick around, the white working class. Just an observation.

Anyway, you should be aiming your ire at the elites of society, not the people who have no institutional power.

2 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

You wouldn't be caught dead talking about how backwards people live in a black ghetto. You instead go after the socially acceptable group to kick around, the white working class. Just an observation.

The group I go after is the group that would vote for mandatory "In God We Trust" on every school in their state. Whether that group is white or black or poor or rich is entirely irrelevant. And even if that group is entirely comprised of, say, poor black people, or rich white men, or handicapped black transgender Jews, I would still say the same: They are morons.

2 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Anyway, you should be aiming your ire at the elites of society, not the people who have no institutional power.

I aim my ire at people voting for mandatory "In God We Trust" on every school building in their state.  Because that is what this is about.

Edited by SoulMonster

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The group I go after is the group that would vote for mandatory "In God We Trust" on every school in their state. Whether that group is white or black or poor or rich is entirely irrelevant. And even if that group is entirely comprised of, say, poor black people, or rich white men, or handicapped black transgender Jews, I would still say the same: They are morons.

I aim my ire at people voting for mandatory "In God We Trust" on every school building in their state.  Because that is what this is about.

Such a bourgeois thing to worry about. I have a penny on my desk that says "In God We Trust" and it hasn't affected my life in one bit!

1 minute ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Such a bourgeois thing to worry about. I have a penny on my desk that says "In God We Trust" and it hasn't affected my life in one bit!

I think religious freedom, including freedom from religion, is more important than you then. 

I prefer to live in a society where one particular worldview isn't getting any preferential treatment. I prefer to live is a society where our institutions or learning and knowledge doesn't have to brandish a ridiculous religious motto. I prefer to live in a society that isn't so fucked up from internal strife that the idea of "patriotism" isn't being used as a tool to try to keep it together.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think religious freedom, including freedom from religion, is more important than you then. 

I prefer to live in a society where one particular worldview isn't getting any preferential treatment. I prefer to live is a society where our institutions or learning and knowledge doesn't have to brandish a ridiculous religious motto. I prefer to live in a society that isn't so fucked up from internal strife that the idea of "patriotism" isn't being used as a tool to try to keep it together.

Ok now you're getting at something. Yes a shallow patriotism is being used to try and keep this mess together, because yes, this is a fucking mess! The fake patriotism won't hold it together, don't worry about that.

But at the end of the day, "In God We Trust" is very low on my list of concerns.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course it isn't very high on my list, either. Still, another example of how primitive USA is.

Oh I swear you smell your own farts and enjoy it.

Why is the US so primitive, I'd love to hear your breakdown. I agree this country has a mass of problems, but I'd bet we disagree on some of the root causes of those problems...

3 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Oh I swear you smell your own farts and enjoy it.

Why is the US so primitive, I'd love to hear your breakdown. I agree this country has a mass of problems, but I'd bet we disagree on some of the root causes of those problems...

Pertaining to this thread, the high amount of religiosity.

26 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

It's actually not that close, but is higher than Europe and East Asia. https://www.pewforum.org/2018/06/13/how-religious-commitment-varies-by-country-among-people-of-all-ages/

Very interesting this article, specially the great variation from the same continents and countrys.  Call my attention the low Japan religiosity.