The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

2 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Haven't seen Richard Dawkins in the British media for years.

Refreshing change from Islam and Meghan's Christian Revival!:

Probably because he looks like shit. Poor guy got divorced and had a stroke a couple of years back and he's looking really frail. It's actually pretty sad to watch that. :( 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Probably because he looks like shit. Poor guy got divorced and had a stroke a couple of years back and he's looking really frail. It's actually pretty sad to watch that. :( 

Sadder when he snuffs it only to find himself looking at a hairy bugger perched a throne haha.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sadder when he snuffs it only to find himself looking at a hairy bugger perched a throne haha.

I suspect he'll be spared that. Also, what the fuck are you doing up at this hour? Has the next Ashes series started already? :lol: 

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

I suspect he'll be spared that. Also, what the fuck are you doing up at this hour? Has the next Ashes series started already? :lol: 

Ill in bed. 

- Although I often work during the night so this is of little consequence. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

48 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic who was lying awake at night, wondering if there really was a dog?

Agnostics are probably a varied spectrum, with some still trainees etc, but I think that once you achieve full agnosticism is the time you accept/realise you'll never know, and so you don't need to think about god/dog/odg (o dear god?/Odie [Garfield]?/Odin god), and it will interfere less with sleep.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Odin?

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Rovim said:

Please recommend me of some good youtube channels for the latest in scientific discoveries, not just about the universe. Will be much appreciated.

I dunno. I don't watch YouTube for science. I am not saying there aren't good YouTube channels presenting science, just that I am not updated.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I dunno. I don't watch YouTube for science. I am not saying there aren't good YouTube channels presenting science, just that I am not updated.

Oh, I see. I guess I'll just have to look for it myself. I'll post the links in this thread so hopefully you can scoff at how shit it is which will be great. ;)

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I'm probably not the best person to say this, but how can you criticise the channel if you don't watch youtube and therefore didn't see the clip?

And if you did watch it (making your claim of not viewing youtube for science invalid), what parts would you disagree with to such an extent that you wouldn't recommend it to interested people?

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

Including whoever runs that YouTube channel it seems. :lol: 

I find people who refer to themselves as a "scientist" to be a bit, for lack of a better word, pretentious, to be honest.

Like, being a scientist gives them a claim to validity or something. This is a farce, since scientists disagree with each other all the time so it all doesn't mean jack shit.

Being a scientist means, you acquire knowledge using a certain method. Nothing more, nothing less.

"I'm a scientist, and even I think..." what a load of nonsense. Your shit smells just like mine.

32 minutes ago, action said:

I'm probably not the best person to say this, but how can you criticise the channel if you don't watch youtube and therefore didn't see the clip?

And if you did watch it (making your claim of not viewing youtube for science invalid), what parts would you disagree with to such an extent that you wouldn't recommend it to interested people?

Of course I watched the video in question. Or at least parts of it. 

33 minutes ago, action said:

I find people who refer to themselves as a "scientist" to be a bit, for lack of a better word, pretentious, to be honest.

Like, being a scientist gives them a claim to validity or something. This is a farce, since scientists disagree with each other all the time so it all doesn't mean jack shit.

Being a scientist means, you acquire knowledge using a certain method. Nothing more, nothing less.

"I'm a scientist, and even I think..." what a load of nonsense. Your shit smells just like mine.

Because in terms of assessing whether a video is scientifically sound, it helps to get the opinion of a scientist, just like you would ask a carpenter for advice on carpentry.

• Like 1

As for the video in question, it is slightly speculative popularistic presentation of science. Nothing particularly good, nothing particularly bad. Nothing I would recommend, as was the question.

What is more problematic is of course your wild conclusions (that it points to a creator and your typical nonsense about a simulated universe).

21 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

As for the video in question, it is slightly speculative popularistic presentation of science. Nothing particularly good, nothing particularly bad. Nothing I would recommend, as was the question.

What is more problematic is of course your wild conclusions (that it points to a creator and your typical nonsense about a simulated universe).

I find it hysterical how scientists are suddenly pannicking and clueless, as their measurements and calculations make less sense as time goes on.

How fast is the universe expanding? Science doesn't give the answer, and probably never will.

Why are scientists having the intellectual high ground on this matter again? From where I'm sitting, they can't agree with each other, and their claims are dodgy at best. Certainly not more accurate than your average hobby-physicist like me.

59 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Because in terms of assessing whether a video is scientifically sound, it helps to get the opinion of a scientist, just like you would ask a carpenter for advice on carpentry.

And somebody who actually watched the movie for an opinion on Terminator: Dark Fate. :lol: 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, action said:

I find it hysterical how scientists are suddenly pannicking and clueless, as their measurements and calculations make less sense as time goes on.

Which scientists are panicking? :lol: What measurements are you talking about?

How fast is the universe expanding? Science doesn't give the answer, and probably never will.

It is rather trivial that science has its limitations and can't explain everything. 

Why are scientists having the intellectual high ground on this matter again? From where I'm sitting, they can't agree with each other, and their claims are dodgy at best. Certainly not more accurate than your average hobby-physicist like me.

If you are at the edge of scientific exploration where hypotheses are conjured and discarded rapidly, you are guaranteed to find scientists that are in disagreement with each other. That is only human. Still, I prefer to listen to disagreeing scientists over someone not trained in that field, just like I would listen to carpenters on the making of a rococo chair even if they had different opinions, over someone who doesn't know how to operate a hammer.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Which scientists are panicking? :lol: What measurements are you talking about?

It is rather trivial that science has its limitations and can't explain everything. 

If you are at the edge of scientific exploration where hypotheses are conjured and discarded rapidly, you are guaranteed to find scientists that are in disagreement with each other. That is only human. Still, I prefer to listen to disagreeing scientists over someone not trained in that field, just like I would listen to carpenters on the making of a rococo chair even if they had different opinions, over someone who doesn't know how to operate a hammer.

i can't help but think of scientists as incredibly archaic and narrow minded, slaves of the scientific method, stuck in the 18th century.

the difference between me and scientists is: I'm open for all options, scientists are just full of themselves and refuse to think out of the box. The latter is incredibly, and unnecessary self-restricting.

the great discoveries were made, thousands of years ago, way before the scientific method was even a thing

the future is a philosophical/ science hybrid. Kind of what quantum computers are doing: stepping away from exact science, and opening up to "possibilities"

Edited by action
  • Haha 2