The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

It was a mosque 1453 - 1935. The way this is being reported, it as if the Turks took some random Christian church/museum and maliciously converted it into a mosque. Much of the current church is actually a product of when it was a mosque, as it was in a dilapidated state following the Siege. I am not overly concerned provided that the Christian iconography is left in situ and non-Muslims are allowed in in between prayers, which (I think) appears to be the case - at least they have said as much.

Edited by DieselDaisy

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It was a mosque 1453 - 1935. The way this is being reported, it as if the Turks took some random Christian church/museum and maliciously converted it into a mosque. Much of the current church is actually a product of when it was a mosque, as it was in a dilapidated state following the Siege. I am not overly concerned provided that the Christian iconography is left in situ and non-Muslims are allowed in in between prayers, which (I think) appears to be the case - at least they have said as much.

Yeah, that's what worries me, that some parts previously open to the public when it was a museum will now be inaccessible. We'll see. It's all just a political move from Erdogan anyway. 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, that's what worries me, that some parts previously open to the public when it was a museum will now be inaccessible. We'll see. It's all just a political move from Erdogan anyway. 

If he wants to see tourism slump, he'll prohibit non-Muslim access.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If he wants to see tourism slump, he'll prohibit non-Muslim access.

I can't see why he would want to hurt the tourism economy. What I meant was that allowing Haga Sophia to be turned into a mosque is just a strategic move to placate Muslim voters. 

From what I heard yesterday, the building will still be open to tourists. But will it be on the level of the Blue Mosque or as accessible as it was when it was a museum? That's a remaining question and I suppose we will just have to wait and see. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I can't see why he would want to hurt the tourism economy. What I meant was that allowing Haga Sophia to be turned into a mosque is just a strategic move to placate Muslim voters. 

From what I heard yesterday, the building will still be open to tourists. But will it be on the level of the Blue Mosque or as accessible as it was when it was a museum? That's a remaining question and I suppose we will just have to wait and see. 

All I know is they carpeted over the marble floor. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the former popes is apparently very sick. I think I speak for all of us that God's messenger on earth (apologies if this was slightly imprecise) shouldn't die a normal, average death. I mean, come on. He was the pope! He should either be granted life for eternity or be raised up into the heavens while small cheeky cherubs sing and angels trump their trumpets. It's a scandal. 

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

One of the former popes is apparently very sick. I think I speak for all of us that God's messenger on earth (apologies if this was slightly imprecise) shouldn't die a normal, average death. I mean, come on. He was the pope! He should either be granted life for eternity or be raised up into the heavens while small cheeky cherubs sing and angels trump their trumpets. It's a scandal. 

He's not Gods messenger, Christ was the last of them, he's his representative on earth who lays out decrees etc. 

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

He's not Gods messenger, Christ was the last of them, he's his representative on earth who lays out decrees etc. 

Like god's lawyer in effect? Which considering some of the horrible shit him and his cronies have been covering up for years would make perfect sense. :lol: 

27 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Like god's lawyer in effect? Which considering some of the horrible shit him and his cronies have been covering up for years would make perfect sense. :lol: 

More like Gods teaboy.  Think of God as a dealer and the Pope as the one who makes the wraps and shots them out in the corner of the pub in town :lol:

22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I said apologies!!! 

Its a rare day where I get to correct a big sciency Phd-ed up boffin clever clogs like yourself, allow me my little moment :lol:

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

More like Gods teaboy.  Think of God as a dealer and the Pope as the one who makes the wraps and shots them out in the corner of the pub in town :lol:

How can you tell a half catholic, half jew?

He takes a lawyer into confession.

:lol: 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its a rare day where I get to correct a big sciency Phd-ed up boffin clever clogs like yourself, allow me my little moment :lol:

Ah that famous British self-depreciation at works! We Norwegians have never done anything to brag about, we have never ruled the world, so we cannot even imagine being able to hide and downplay our own cleverness to the extent you demonstrate so frequently. Heh. That actually came off as an insult while I intended to explain the way you Brits always belittle yourself when you have no reasons to, you very much included, while also explaining why we simple Norwegians would never even get in a position where we would try to come across as anything smaller than we are - rather the opposite.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Ah that famous British self-depreciation at works! We Norwegians have never done anything to brag about, we have never ruled the world, so we cannot even imagine being able to hide and downplay our own cleverness to the extent you demonstrate so frequently. Heh. That actually came off as an insult while I intended to explain the way you Brits always belittle yourself when you have no reasons to, you very much included, while also explaining why we simple Norwegians would never even get in a position where we would try to come across as anything smaller than we are - rather the opposite.

Fuck that stiff upper lip bollocks, if I was cleverer than you I would be waving my intellectual todger in your face on a daily basis :lol:  Not saying I'm completely fuckin' thick but I ain't in that upper percentile Soulie Champions League position (inb4 'neither is your team', fuck you :lol:)

@SoulMonster

Out of curiosity, have you studied Norse mythology at all?  Are any of the deities from Norse mythology based on people that existed at some point?  Similar to how some Greek, Roman and Egyptian deities seem to be based on people/kings/pharaohs that may have walked the Earth at some point. 

43 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck that stiff upper lip bollocks, if I was cleverer than you I would be waving my intellectual todger in your face on a daily basis :lol:  Not saying I'm completely fuckin' thick but I ain't in that upper percentile Soulie Champions League position (inb4 'neither is your team', fuck you :lol:)

I think you are already clever enough not to brag about it.

8 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

@SoulMonster

Out of curiosity, have you studied Norse mythology at all?  Are any of the deities from Norse mythology based on people that existed at some point?  Similar to how some Greek, Roman and Egyptian deities seem to be based on people/kings/pharaohs that may have walked the Earth at some point. 

I have read quite a bit about Norse mythology but those brain cells seems to have been overwritten many a beer ago, so you might as well consult wikipedia. But here goes:

Keep in mind that the Norse gods weren't invented de novo by the Norse people. They didn't sit around and say, "hey, we need a religion, let's make up some gods!". The Norse people inherited their pantheon from the people who came before them, who invented them from people before that, and so on, back to times immemorial. It is quite possible that the very first gods, who would many generations later evolve into the Norse gods, were inspired or based upon actual persons back in the that day, but this is pure speculation. Personally, I am more partial to the theory that there is an unbroken line of gods going back to the very first religions possible pre-dating humans as a species. 

This doesn't mean that each generation didn't change their gods in various ways to suit them, including attributing personalities or appearances to them based on historical people. But for the Norse gods this is very hard to ascertain because we don't really know much about historical people living in the time before Snorre wrote about the Norse gods, to even be able to spot any obvious resemblances. There ight be fleeting comparisons, like between Thor and Beowulf, or I don't know, but not to the extent that one can confidently say that one inspired the other. One exception is Odin who shares many similarities to the mythological Jesus Christ. Remember that when Snorre wrote about Odin, and described him, Iceland had been Christened and people was very familiar with the biblical Jesus. It was a time when these religions were fighting for followers. Such a merging of deities is very common in comparative religion studies, and it seems to have happened to Odin (as it had happened to Jesus about 1000 years earlier). But except for this example we can only speculate but conclude that it is likely that humans made and changed gods continuously to suit them, including to mold them in various ways to reflect real people.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Dazey said:

Shouldn’t that be christianityeveryday.com? 

Bunch of fucking grifters the lot of ‘em! :lol: 

He's been fuckin' blagging 'prosperity gospel' since the 80s, made a fuckin' bajillionaire of himself flogging salvation at 69.95 a pop to fuckin' grannys on their pension and suddenly turns around and goes 'nah, thats wrong, I'm repenting', well how about giving all those poor people their fuckin' money back?  Christ walked the earth in a bit of cloth with a big stick, I'm not sure but there weren't no Lamborghini Diablo parked round the back of that manger.  And there's fuckin' loads of these cunts, TD Jakes, Joyce Meyer etc etc, they sell millions of fuckin' books full of misappropriates gospel to people that really believe this shit is gonna make em into a millionaire and cure their fuckin' bronchitis.

16 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

He's been fuckin' blagging 'prosperity gospel' since the 80s, made a fuckin' bajillionaire of himself flogging salvation at 69.95 a pop to fuckin' grannys on their pension and suddenly turns around and goes 'nah, thats wrong, I'm repenting', well how about giving all those poor people their fuckin' money back?  Christ walked the earth in a bit of cloth with a big stick, I'm not sure but there weren't no Lamborghini Diablo parked round the back of that manger.  And there's fuckin' loads of these cunts, TD Jakes, Joyce Meyer etc etc, they sell millions of fuckin' books full of misappropriates gospel to people that really believe this shit is gonna make em into a millionaire and cure their fuckin' bronchitis.

Where do you think the Pope got all his gold candlesticks from? If the Vatican has been built today St Peter’s Square would have been a fucking airstrip. :lol: