The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

I was desperate so am reading The God Delusion, which was lying in a pile of paperbacks on my floor which somebody had given me for free. My gawd (pardon the expression): it is just ''Soul Monster The Book''! The language ('theist'' not religion), a certain prickliness and arrogance, It even includes the line about ''Flying Spaghetti Monsters''! Ad verbatim. 

Soul Monster is Led Zeppelin to Dawkins' Howlin' Wolf haha.

I'm disappointed!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I was desperate so am reading The God Delusion, which was lying in a pile of paperbacks on my floor which somebody had given me for free. My gawd (pardon the expression): it is just ''Soul Monster The Book''! The language ('theist'' not religion), a certain prickliness and arrogance, It even includes the line about ''Flying Spaghetti Monsters''! Ad verbatim. 

Soul Monster is Led Zeppelin to Dawkins' Howlin' Wolf haha.

I'm disappointed!

Dawkins on his best behavior, lol. This isn't really a debate, it's just a conversation.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is a Liberal Democrat voter haha. Well, someone has to be! Recently a victim of cancel culture also, deplatformed when some genius realised his anti-religious diatribes included Islam!

I think I asked soul once if his hate for religion also included islam. His answer was rather ambiguous, along the lines of "it's catholicism we're discussing here, not islam" or something.

Islam being a religion, must be "a problem" for the liberal anti-religious folk. Rather than the spaghetti monster, the cancel monster may be coming to get them. 

Full of straw men also - this book. 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

A brilliant man, Dawkins. 

20201010.jpg

Mostly atheist stuff with a military-history on the British army incongruously present, and a few Jeffery Deaver potboilers plonked on the end. I haven't read that Saul David incidentally but I have his book on the Anglo-Zulu War. 

This is a horrible mean spirited anti-academic anti-intellectual book. He openly admits that there isn't much point understanding theology, or wondering how Greek gods can be conflated with Roman for instance - he basically sees it as a fruitless discussion - and utterly hates theologians! I had to learn a lot about theology when learning about the reformation and found it thoroughly compelling. 

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeaaaaah, not really.  Intelligent I wouldn’t argue, makes some good points sometimes, certainly but he’s very much a youtube genius.  Brilliant though?  In what regard?

You don't half talk some bollocks sometimes dearest! :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

You don't half talk some bollocks sometimes dearest! :lol: 

Brilliant though, is he brilliant?  I’ve read that God Delusion thing and seen a million interview bits and pieces here and there, and I agree with a lot of it but I wouldn’t say any of it was especially like...original or groundbreaking or made me think a different way about anything so unless he made some amazing contribution to the world of science (which he might have for all I know) I’ve not really seen a lot out of him that I could reasonably justify him being a brilliant man.

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Brilliant though, is he brilliant?  I’ve read that God Delusion thing and seen a million interview bits and pieces here and there, and I agree with a lot of it but I wouldn’t say any of it was especially like...original or groundbreaking or made me think a different way about anything so unless he made some amazing contribution to the world of science (which he might have for all I know) I’ve not really seen a lot out of him that I could reasonably justify him being a brilliant man.

I'm not sure what your criteria is for brilliance, I mean it's not like he's just spent the last 50 years calling god a cunt and nothing else. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

Just now, Dazey said:

I'm not sure what your criteria is for brilliance, I mean it's not like he's just spent the last 50 years calling god a cunt and all that. :lol: 

Well my criteria is excelling in your particular field, like a brilliant writer is someone who, when you do a history of the written word, the person deserves a chapter...or a few pages or a paragraph.  Like a Shakespeare or a Dickens or perhaps even a Kerouac, for defining an era or leading a movement or even being a key figure in a movement.   Or, say, philosophy, someone who introduced or added to or expanded on a particular school of philosophical thought.  

Perhaps I set the bar too high :shrugs: 

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I mean, Oxford professor in evolutionary biology has to be pretty excellent in one's field doesn't it? 

I’d say so yeah...does that make you a brilliant man?  Don’t get me wrong, he’s probably 50 times cleverer than a cunt like me will ever live to be but the cries of ‘genius’ you often hear from some quarters are a bit much to me.  Unless of course, as I said before, he’s made some massive contribution to the science of his time.  Perhaps my response is more to do with what I’ve heard from him disciples online than anything thats been said in this thread.

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeaaaaah, not really.  Intelligent I wouldn’t argue, makes some good points sometimes, certainly but he’s very much a youtube genius.  Brilliant though?  In what regard?

His thoughts on sexual selection vs natural selection, and selection on the level of genes and not individuals and especially groups, and his very clear thoughts and communicative skills re: rationalism. 

YouTube? Never seen videos of him. But he has written many books. 

Edited by SoulMonster

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The God Delusion is basically Atheism for Dummies, it is an introduction to the many well-known arguments for why gods don't exist. There is nothing new in it, nothing innovative, just a rehash if thoughts atheists have shared for thousands of years. But explained by Dawkins very clearly. 

So no, that book doesn't make him brilliant. The Selfish Gene, though.