IZZY STRADLIN (and MATT SORUM) show up at movie festival in Palm Springs

31 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

I guess I had just been assuming that Izzy wanted to do a full on reunion and split the loot equally for the Coachella and Vegas shows only. Those shows were completely separate in a business sense from the NITL shows, right? And it seems like it was at least considered what with Adler's known involvement in rehearsals. I figured some of the business people behind the scenes pointed out that it wouldn't look good to do a full on Appetite 5 reunion for four concerts and then try to sell very expensive tickets to shows that would  only include 3/5 of them most of the time (because no one wanted to put up with Adler for years and Izzy wasn't up for that kind of time commitment). So they backtracked and offered Izzy and Adler guest spots at random shows only, including one or two of those first shows for small fees. Easy to believe that Izzy would have gladly done 4 shows for a few million dollars and then flittered in and out of the tour at his leisure. He was quite obviously pissed he didn't have the opportunity to do so.

That seems like the most realistic guess as to how it went down. 

17 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Really?! I had no idea!

The TRUE FACT is that Izzy cant tour and Izzy wont tour and Izzy wont commit and Izzy cant play and Izzy sold his partnership and... WOW, SO MUCH TRUTH!

Now do you remember when you used to say that Steven cant play?! Those were such great times, i miss them so much!

Please never stop sharing the truth on this board!

What’s the back story on Izzy selling his Partnership? I’ve seen this comment a few times in different posts, but I havent read any details. (It’s not that I don’t believe you, I’m just curious)

I do disagree with the “Izzy can’t tour” and “Izzy can’t play” He can certainly do both and did do both from 85-91. While also contributing heavily to the songwriting. The songs maketh the band. No songs = No need for a band, or a singer, otherwise you’re playing covers. 

It appears you’re correct about won’t tour and I’m undecided about won’t commit.... I don’t know the terms or lack thereof, I don’t know if he’s being a dick or getting fucked by the other 3. 

I mean, Izzy is Guns to me, his songs make up most of tunes I like best, but he also was a fucking heroin dealer.... It’s a certain kind of person who sells junk. It’s selling misery and death. (I don’t judge anyone, but that’s the reality, I’ve seen lots of it) So I can picture him possibly being cutthroat and selfish in business dealings. 

I mean, say you’re in a band during a hugely successful era. You were an integral part of that band - vocally, musically, it’s songwriting, it’s image.... You know that, (as a result of having made a career, and had an entire life setup financially) you were popular, sold shitloads, and thus had a huge fan base....

After having that life, would it fucking kill you to go out, maybe not make as much cash as you wanted to, but do it partly for the people who appreciate your talent and part in that band... I mean fuck it like, do 5 shows, do 1 even! Give the people what they want. It might even be fun for a few gigs and then piss off into the sunset.... Avacados don’t change man, you won’t miss anything 😂

So I’m undecided about his motives, despite the fact I think he was the spirit of Guns.... 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

What’s the back story on Izzy selling his Partnership? I’ve seen this comment a few times in different posts, but I havent read any details. (It’s not that I don’t believe you, I’m just curious)

I do disagree with the “Izzy can’t tour” and “Izzy can’t play” He can certainly do both and did do both from 85-91. While also contributing heavily to the songwriting. The songs maketh the band. No songs = No need for a band, or a singer, otherwise you’re playing covers. 

It appears you’re correct about won’t tour and I’m undecided about won’t commit.... I don’t know the terms or lack thereof, I don’t know if he’s being a dick or getting fucked by the other 3. 

I mean, Izzy is Guns to me, his songs make up most of tunes I like best, but he also was a fucking heroin dealer.... It’s a certain kind of person who sells junk. It’s selling misery and death. (I don’t judge anyone, but that’s the reality, I’ve seen lots of it) So I can picture him possibly being cutthroat and selfish in business dealings. 

I mean, say you’re in a band during a hugely successful era. You were an integral part of that band - vocally, musically, it’s songwriting, it’s image.... You know that, (as a result of having made a career, and had an entire life setup financially) you were popular, sold shitloads, and thus had a huge fan base....

After having that life, would it fucking kill you to go out, maybe not make as much cash as you wanted to, but do it partly for the people who appreciate your talent and part in that band... I mean fuck it like, do 5 shows, do 1 even! Give the people what they want. It might even be fun for a few gigs and then piss off into the sunset.... Avacados don’t change man, you won’t miss anything 😂

So I’m undecided about his motives, despite the fact I think he was the spirit of Guns.... 

I actually don't know exactly what happened when Izzy decided to leave, but he wasn't part of the GNR partnership that Axl, Slash and Duff signed.

From the buisness point of view I can understand why they don't wanna share the loot equally but as what they are - a rock n roll band - they should not give a flying fuck about contracts and go out and play.

There's enough money for everybody in this reunion and they didn't even make a new record.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, beautifulanddamned said:

I guess I had just been assuming that Izzy wanted to do a full on reunion and split the loot equally for the Coachella and Vegas shows only. Those shows were completely separate in a business sense from the NITL shows, right? And it seems like it was at least considered what with Adler's known involvement in rehearsals. I figured some of the business people behind the scenes pointed out that it wouldn't look good to do a full on Appetite 5 reunion for four concerts and then try to sell very expensive tickets to shows that would  only include 3/5 of them most of the time (because no one wanted to put up with Adler for years and Izzy wasn't up for that kind of time commitment). So they backtracked and offered Izzy and Adler guest spots at random shows only, including one or two of those first shows for small fees. Easy to believe that Izzy would have gladly done 4 shows for a few million dollars and then flittered in and out of the tour at his leisure. He was quite obviously pissed he didn't have the opportunity to do so.

In one of his tweets he only referred to the April shows not the whole NITL tour, so this actually makes sense. They didn't wanna share the loot equally didn't he April shows so negotiations broke down including whatever participation in the NITL. 

• Like 1

Btw, it is safe to assume that the NITL tour has a separate contract. It could well be a longterm partnership because even when the tour ends, they still could be selling merch from it, use the logos, etc. There has to be a legal document explaining how licensing decisions are made and who gets the money. That could be totally separate from contracts with performers, crew, etc. that are probably handled by the band partnership in which S/D don't have to be included.

25 minutes ago, tremolo said:

What is there to talk about Axl, Slash, Fortus and Duff that is current and/or relevant?

Absolutely nothing.

At least, they can play.

Matt can play but Izzy "lazy cheasy" Stradlin' can't anymore. Hearing Izzy play "Better" would be absolutely laughtable. The guy can barely play a 3 chords song properly nowadays.

That's why nobody in the band wants Izzy to come back : It's not a question of money, it's a question of SKILLS. he would be a desaster onstage. His playing is amateurish. The guy has no skills.

Fortus is a beast. He is reliable and credible for the legacy. He is the past 15 years, present and futur. of Guns N' Roses.

Get used to it. 

BTW, the tour really needs to start again. This kind of thread is a loss of time. Who fuckin' cares about Izzy in 2018? 4 or 5 people on this message board? Come on!

Edited by Sunset Boulevard
  • Sad 2

I'm not sure why Izzy would have to sell his shares in the band when he left, but Slash and Duff didn't when they left. I think Izzy did it willingly. In large part because he didn't want to deal with the lawsuits and legal shit that came with being in that band. He said that he was paid part of GnR's shares until 1997, which at the time probably seemed like a great deal. Izzy knew better then anyone that the odds of the band lasting until 1997 weren't good. Frankly the odds of Slash or Duff being alive in 1997 weren't that great. He just made a short sighted business deal.  

Here's an interview with Fortus, of all people, talking about Izzy. 

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2015/07/27/richard-fortus-discusses-guns-n-roses-future-playing-with-izzy-stradlin-the-dead-daisies-revolucion-and-more/

LRI: As a big fan of Izzy Stradlin, in Guns N’ Roses and solo. He is such an enigma in the way he is so low-key. For instance, he still puts out solo albums but you never see any pre-release hype or even any indication they are coming, they just show up on iTunes or you just hear about them on music message boards. So, I must ask what it is like when he drops in? Has he offered you any advice or are there any cool Izzy stories you care to share?

RF: There are a lot of cool Izzy stories. He’s spent a lot of time with us on the road. Izzy is one of my favorite people! He is a very genuine person, a very authentic guy and he does what he wants to do. We share a passion for motorcycles so we have a lot in common.

He doesn’t have much interest in being in a touring rock band otherwise he’d be doing it. It was great to hang out with him and to have him out on the road with us! Whenever he comes out, it is always a treat and it is always fun! He is a good hang!

I kind of assumed that this was true. If Izzy had any interest in being in a touring rock band- he'd be doing it. He would have done it sometime in the last 25 years. He has the means, he has the connections, he's well respected.  

To me the biggest sign that he had no interest in being a full time member of this band in the long term is that he obviously didn't bother to get any management in 2016. No business manager would have let him flounder the way he did when he first went on Twitter and with Rolling Stone, specifically. And in order to be part of GnR INC at this point, you need some sort of management. They are a corporation. A machine.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I agree that it takes a certain type to deal junk - a cut throat and ruthless person.  I think Izzy has matured and left that person behind though.

That said, avocados are basically the opium of the Millennials, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bikka said:

The contract has been posted on this forum a few years ago. The original partnership required that if a partner is thrown out or quits, the others HAVE to buy them out and that they lose any say in what happens to the brand. I suppose that legally it would be very inconvenient to make any decisions regarding ads, merch etc. if you have "left over" partners - so this kind of stipulations must be common in band contracts. The contract explained how the bought up shares would be split, etc. The version that was posted was the one that to this general terms added one exception - if Axl were to quit he would keep the name. When others would quit they would keep nothing but would get money for their share. (The share is not the same as royalties, which they have anyway for songwritting / performing credits). So as the story goes, Axl waited for the statute of limitations to pass, then quit the band, keeping the name. He then made another partnership - the newGnr - to which he invited Slash and Duff. As far as I remember Duff accepted, Slash declined. In effect there were 2 partnership and numerous lawsuits that regarded decision making about licensing etc - no wonder, as there were legally 2 partnerships that had a claim (one had rights to licensing of the original material, the other the name of the band), a tough nut to crack, but Axl must have had good lawyers that made the amendment to the old contract - it worked out perfect for him. (the version of the contract posted was used as evidence in one of the lawsuits)

So the story of Izzy's share is pretty simple - when quitting he HAD to sell his shares. Same goes for when Adler was sacked - they had to buy him out, although at that time his shares were worth much less probably. When Izzy left that must have already been a shit load of money.

One thing that is connected to this is the story of Izzy stepping in when Gilby broke his wrist. In interviews he said Alan Niven (his then manager) advised him to take the offer because GNR still owed him some money - I think that was probably part of his shares, because other stuff (i.e. royalties) would not necessarily be distributed by the partnership but by the publisher. So I assume that they couldn't afford to pay him out in one go and after 2 years he still didn't receive the full sum. Izzy said that he could either sue them (which would be lengthy) or come to an agreement about his guesting in place of Gilby. Which he apparently thought a better option. But if you read Slash and Axl interviews from after that period you can see how they were pissed that Izzy's guesting cost them so much money. It was the first time Axl complained that Izzy was so expensive. But those were not fees for playing, it was the debt they owed him, most probably for his share in the partnership. Now, Duff's point of view is very telling - he writes in his book that the second leg of UYI tour they hardly broke even as the fees for late shows, additional costs of crew, etc. ate all their income. As he writes, each memebr got some part of the income, but a part of it went to the band's shared assets. He was pissed that the band didn't earn anything, while it was solely Axl's fault that they had to pay the additional costs. Now, that was precisely when Izzy guested and asked for his money. I imagine for Axl it must have been oh so painful, but then he was the culprit there... That's why I can't take his complains about the "Izzy cost" seriously.

Edit: One final note to those who claim that A/D/S were contributing to the partnership / putting effort in maintaining it, etc through out the years, while Izzy did nothing. They DIDN'T. The partnership is about the value of the GNR brand, decisions about licensing, etc. Taking part in lawsuits has nothing to do with it (and if you think they personally appeared in court to argue their contracts you're romanticizing). The only thing that can raise or at least maintain the value of a brand is delivering quality products year after year under that brand. None of them did that. Solo activity has no import for GNR brand. Axl's GNR tours and CD if anything have devalued the brand. Years of inactivity have for sure devalued the brand. Just imagine you were a Coca-Cola promotion manager - how much money would you be willing to pay to use Welcome to the jungle in an ad in 91? And how much in, say, 2013? Right now thanks to NITL tour the value is rising, but it is nowhere near what it was during the UYI tours.

In all, while he probably didn't know it, Izzy sold his shares at the peak of their worth... Savvy businessman he is :D

Thanks for this. Really good reply. 

12 hours ago, RONIN said:

Do your research mate. He's asked about a reunion in literally every interview he's done since the 00's. 

Here's one from 2001:

A hypothetical question then: Axl’s [solo] album flops, and he offers you all the chance to get back together - just like Aerosmith and Black Sabbath - would you do it? I mean, assuming Axl would be… “… broke?” he cuts in with a laugh. “I could hear the call.” Goes into gruff Axl impersonation: “‘You know, I've been, ah, thinking’. He talks really slow when he gets an idea like that. ‘Aahhh, I've been thinking…’ And I'd be thinking, ‘He must be broke’,” he chuckles. “That’s how I imagine the call.”

He says the band still get hopeful promoters trying to tempt them back together with promises of enormous wedge. “Oh, yeah. Around the big millennium hype, for sure.” Is he ever tempted? “Yeah, why not?” he chuckles. “A [one-off] gig would be easy, I would think.” What about an album, though? Now he really does laugh. “Well, you know what? It’s funny, cos like me, Duff and Slash - we could go in and make a Guns N’ Roses record in a week. Basic tracks. [But] vocals and leads [instrumentation] could take God knows how long…”

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2673-2001-xxdd-classic-rock-interview-with-izzy

Woww..It´s from about 17 years ago Ronin. When you said that "in the last decade" I thought you meant the last 10 years or something closer to the time he made his last appearance with the band or even newer(because we know people can change their minds..just take a look to the Axl/Slash saga)..Anyway, on this 2001 interview I can see something much closer to a "whatever" than an "I'd love to". So this interview or any other that is not relatively closer to the time when they began to consider doing these shows, are not consistent enough to affirm that he wants to be part of the NITLT.

Look I know that some of you guys(Izzy fans) are so fuckin´ frustrated because you saw in this tour a chance to see Izzy playing live music, maybe the only chance to see him at a show..but it´s not fair try to put all the blame on the band or try to demean this tour..Whether you want it or not, the evidences points much more to the possibility that Izzy doesn´t want to be part of this tour that for a evil plan to keep him out.

What evidences? Izzy´s solo career (no tours,no band mates,no band) Izzy´s low profile philosophy and the "split the loot  equally" demand. To me, those things are much more stronger then some random interview...How and what he do in real life is much more relevant than 17 years old "whatever" statements, especially in this case where we have a lack of information available.

12 hours ago, RONIN said:

I didn't follow that era of the band so if you say that's the case, then I stand corrected.

Yeah, I realized that you didn't follow that era. Just to remember, in 2014 Izzy was supposed to do one of those residency shows in Vegas..He never showed up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We are in 'Guns N' Roses time'. Things, album releases, interviews, etc., occur slowly on Guns N' Roses time. 17 years is about four of our normal 'earth' years. 

Nope! We’re talkin’ about Izzy and clearly he’s much more faster then his former band. 17 years for him is a lifetime I mean 8 studio album and a bunch of singles..

6 hours ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

At least, they can play.

Matt can play but Izzy "lazy cheasy" Stradlin' can't anymore. Hearing Izzy play "Better" would be absolutely laughtable. The guy can barely play a 3 chords song properly nowadays.

That's why nobody in the band wants Izzy to come back : It's not a question of money, it's a question of SKILLS. he would be a desaster onstage. His playing is amateurish. The guy has no skills.

Fortus is a beast. He is reliable and credible for the legacy. He is the past 15 years, present and futur. of Guns N' Roses.

Get used to it. 

BTW, the tour really needs to start again. This kind of thread is a loss of time. Who fuckin' cares about Izzy in 2018? 4 or 5 people on this message board? Come on!

Yeah, Because Better is superior to everything Izzy wrote and contributed to. You obviously know nothing about musicians..... Technically good guitar players do not always write great songs, whereas musicians write songs but might not be shredders. Your opinion is rubbish and proven to be by album sales alone. You need better drugs if you think Fortus has a place in GNR ahead of Izzy.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Who else is tired of hearing about Izzy? 

We could always talk about Axl eating pizza on a Friday night. :awesomeface:  Meanwhile, Richard posted a pic of himself with his 'favourite tracking guitar'.  We could analyse that.  Duff has acquired a new guitar and McBob was on hand to oversee it.  Melissa told Fernando she'd 'see him soon'.  Band meeting coming up?  Well, these are the alternative topics to Izzy's loot tweet.  Probably won't get to 11 pages though. ^_^ Back to Axl and his skanky looking pizza (sorry it really looked unappetising). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

We could always talk about Axl eating pizza on a Friday night. :awesomeface:  Meanwhile, Richard posted a pic of himself with his 'favourite tracking guitar'.  We could analyse that.  Duff has acquired a new guitar and McBob was on hand to oversee it.  Melissa told Fernando she'd 'see him soon'.  Band meeting coming up?  Well, these are the alternative topics to Izzy's loot tweet.  Probably won't get to 11 pages though. ^_^ Back to Axl and his skanky looking pizza (sorry it really looked unappetising). 

All of those topics are more interesting to me than reading through another Izzy thread :)