IZZY STRADLIN (and MATT SORUM) show up at movie festival in Palm Springs

10 minutes ago, tremolo said:

It seems pretty obvious to me that Izzy wanted to be a part of this.

I think that when the unthinkable happened (Axl and Slash talking again and wanting to tour/reunite the band), Izzy might have thought that maybe that meant that Axl had become more flexible and wasn’t the tyrant he had become when he (Izzy) was still in the band; and why wouldn’t he –or anyone for that matter– think that? It seemed doubtful that Slash and Duff would go back to GNR if it was going to be the same old story all over again.

Then there were talks and what was presented to Izzy led him to believe that this new version of GNR wasn’t that different from what it used to be: it’s Axl calling the shots, not everyone being seen or considered as an equally important part of the equation, etc.

Izzy doesn’t come accross as an irrational guy who will send it all to hell if things don’t go exactly the way he wants. He had a very bad experience being in a band with a nutjob of a singer, it just makes sense if he wants to avoid putting himself in the same scenario again; that’s a guy who learned from his own experience and is not willing to go through anything that resembles what he had to put up with back then.

And in all honesty, what does GNR have to show since this tour started? Just nostalgia, ticket sales and profit. Oh and Coma. Other than that... what? Performances have been mediocre, Axl hasn’t given it his best on stage. Lots of cringeworthy moments, a very stale setlist, an incredibly low performance at RIR. 

This was the biggest rock comeback of the century, and it has been very bland compared to what it could and should have been: the big 3 on top of their game, absolutely crushing it every night. But since the money is somewhat guaranteed, why bother, right? It makes me wonder about the real motivations behind this whole thing.

I don’t get why some people here like to shit on Izzy. The guy has been a class act about this whole thing, he’s just minding his own business, making music, not whoring himself out to the media, etc. I guess those people see things in black and white and are so polarized it’s impossible for them to have a bit of perspective instead of taking sides.

I don’t think the dynamics in the current band are the same as they were in 91-93, but it seems clear who had to compromise more to make this happen. Money talks after all.

IMO Izzy wanted to wait and see how the tour plays out before he makes any commitment. If you pedal back to early 2016 even Slash wouldnt have thought this would go smooth.

Also it could be possible they are going for the highest grossing tour in history since they have the advantage of the "not in this lifetime reunion" of Slash and Axl that no other band has, and it's a powerful one that no other band may be able to reach this tour later on. They could continue the tour on to 2019 and even 2020 by bringing back everyone from Izzy to Matt to Steven, bring back UYI deep cuts etc to keep it interesting. That's not too far fetched to be their plan imo, and it removes the question for new music since maybe they don't know about that either atm. Just by bringing back Izzy and Adler to be in the shows they could do another year of stadiums without having to record anything.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

They can drop off the songs made with Izzy and Steven too, so no AFD, no half of Lies and UYI. People will still see slash  axl with duff, aye?

Yes. On the first round. And then they would complain and be upset and feel they have been cheated and certainly would not go a second or third time. Seriously, you freaks should just stop. People go to these shows because they want to see Axl and Slash do these old songs. Period. Anyone claiming something else is a fucking fool.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, tremolo said:

I think that when the unthinkable happened (Axl and Slash talking again and wanting to tour/reunite the band), Izzy might have thought that maybe that meant that Axl had become more flexible and wasn’t the tyrant he had become when he (Izzy) was still in the band; and why wouldn’t he –or anyone for that matter– think that? It seemed doubtful that Slash and Duff would go back to GNR if it was going to be the same old story all over again.

Then there were talks and what was presented to Izzy led him to believe that this new version of GNR wasn’t that different from what it used to be: it’s Axl calling the shots, not everyone being seen or considered as an equally important part of the equation, etc.

The problem with this scenario is that Izzy was in contact with everyone in the recent years, including Axl at least until 2012 (and I believe they talked after that), so he knew Axl's mindset; and of course he knows him much better than everyone on the forum does. He also worked with Duff at the time the reunion was at works. 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ludurigan said:

yeah, except for the fact that izzy actually has done that in the past in much harder conditions

have you ever heard about a band called GNR who toured 1987-1988 and 1991?

anyone that knows a thing or two about GNR will tell you that 1) by all accounts those were much harder times... talking specifically about Izzy, he was (by all accounts) a junkie in a junkies (and drunk-fucks) band on the 1987-88 tour, 2) on most of the dates they were the opening band and thus playing for crowds that weren't there to see them...

i could go on and on... anyone that knows a bit about GNR and a bit about music could tell you, seriously, there is no comparison on how much harder it must have been to tour 1987-1988 and 1991 to this 2016-2017 tour!

(not to mention izzy solo tour in 1992-1993 in clubs playing a full-set of barely-known songs with not a single  GNR song in the repertoire and travelling by bus etc)

seriously, you read something like "there's zero indication that a two year world tour was something Izzy would commit to"...

and you wonder...

"am i talking to kid here who thinks the world started when axl released his solo album?"

"does this guy truly believe in the crap he is writing?"

FFS

Agree 100%..

Kid is the accurate summation.

Anyone who remembers the world in 1987 and now, would know its easier touring now compared to what it was then..

It's not like any of them could msg a dealer or jump on facebook to organize some junk. 

Going from show to show wondering where to get stuff is a junkies nightmare. Hell.

With that off his back, and the other guys sober, it would piss easy. It definitely Beats jonesing in a cold van with a fucking map trying to find some town and a payphone to call a piece of shit dealer ready to fuck over guys he won't see again.....

I'm sure Izzy could cope with the present tour.

NuGNR were called that because it was a different band. Guns N Roses are a separate band to that fuckology with KFC buckets. It's OK to like that stuff, but it's not Guns N Roses you like, it's a different band called NuGNR. With one guy from Guns N Roses in it. It appears Axl has rejoined Guns N Rose's, so why not wonder about Izzy? 

NuGNR is in the past,  It ain't coming back. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

IMO Izzy wanted to wait and see how the tour plays out before he makes any commitment. If you pedal back to early 2016 even Slash wouldnt have thought this would go smooth.

Also it could be possible they are going for the highest grossing tour in history since they have the advantage of the "not in this lifetime reunion" of Slash and Axl that no other band has, and it's a powerful one that no other band may be able to reach this tour later on. They could continue the tour on to 2019 and even 2020 by bringing back everyone from Izzy to Matt to Steven, bring back UYI deep cuts etc to keep it interesting. That's not too far fetched to be their plan imo, and it removes the question for new music since maybe they don't know about that either atm. Just by bringing back Izzy and Adler to be in the shows they could do another year of stadiums without having to record anything.

I agree with the first part of your post. From the bands point of view would diving straight into a AFD 5 be the best way to heal a 20 year rift between Slash and Axl ? I imagine Izzy is someone who would rather see how it plays out before committing to a 2 year world tour. 

Personally I think a AFD reunion  could’ve worked but I can understand why they didn’t if it was for reasons along these lines. I think Izzy and Adler we’re invited for the April shows only with views of guest appearances later on.  But money and percentages started getting in the way and ruined any chance of one of the greatest rock reunions ever. It’s a shame really. 

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

Guys...

You just all miss ONE point : nobody original GNR Fans need s Izzy to come back. Nobody. Axl Rose/CD/casual/radio/event fans don't care.

NITL is the 4th biggest tour in music history... without Izzy.

It's all about Slash and Fortus on guitar. They are He is the one s the entire world wants to see.

End of story.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, tremolo said:

Izzy doesn’t come accross as an irrational guy who will send it all to hell if things don’t go exactly the way he wants. He had a very bad experience being in a band with a nutjob of a singer, it just makes sense if he wants to avoid putting himself in the same scenario again; that’s a guy who learned from his own experience and is not willing to go through anything that resembles what he had to put up with back then.

And in all honesty, what does GNR have to show since this tour started? Just nostalgia, ticket sales and profit. Oh and Coma. Other than that... what? Performances have been mediocre, Axl hasn’t given it his best on stage. Lots of cringeworthy moments, a very stale setlist, an incredibly low performance at RIR. 

This was the biggest rock comeback of the century, and it has been very bland compared to what it could and should have been: the big 3 on top of their game, absolutely crushing it every night. But since the money is somewhat guaranteed, why bother, right? It makes me wonder about the real motivations behind this whole thing.

I don’t get why some people here like to shit on Izzy. The guy has been a class act about this whole thing, he’s just minding his own business, making music, not whoring himself out to the media, etc. I guess those people see things in black and white and are so polarized it’s impossible for them to have a bit of perspective instead of taking sides.

I don’t think the dynamics in the current band are the same as they were in 91-93, but it seems clear who had to compromise more to make this happen. Money talks after all.

that makes a lot of sense

18 hours ago, tremolo said:

It's the fourth highest grossing tour of all time, the band seems to be having fun and the vast majority attending shows are enjoying themselves. It's been a success and the general attitude towards GNR is positive for once. The vast majority don't care who the drummer is and aren't bored with the setlist because they're not watching every show through Periscope.

As for Izzy, it's not "talking shit" about him to suggest there are reasons he's not there that could be his own fault, his own choosing or at the very least not a simple "because Axl screwed him" scenario. I like Izzy. I'd prefer he be there but it's not a deal breaker for me. I can see why Izzy would be hesitant to sign up for 2 years of touring and I can see why they'd be hesitant to believe they could depend on Izzy for 2 years of touring. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

Guys...

You just all miss ONE point : nobody needs Izzy to come back. Nobody.

NITL is the 4th biggest tour in music history... without Izzy.

It's all about Slash and Fortus on guitar. They are the ones the entire world wants to see.

End of story.

How long did your survey of the entire world take? 

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

Trust me I've tried before and Sunset never replies, and is imo just a troll to grind peoples gears. He's better blocked and just ignored, otherwise you're just giving him what he wants, reading these replies while he laughs in his moms basement. No one seriously believes Fortus has anything to do with how many tickets GNR sold. They could have had a complete unknown on rhythm and it would've done just as well, if not even better with Izzy or Gilby there.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tremolo said:

It’s funny that you avoid the “quality” aspect and speak only from one perspective: the fan that is all forgiving because all that matters is Axl ans Slash playing WTTJ and SCOM.

I meant it from the band perspective. Despite how much you and others have enjoyed the tour, it doesn’t feel GNR have given it their 100%, that or their standard.

I don’t care much about how the whole thing transpired, and I don’t claim to know. It’s all just guessing. And I meant people saying he’s irrelevant to GNR, that he can’t play... lots of trolls around here.

But the shows are getting good reviews, so, what's the "quality" issue? Axl doesn't sound as good? The band doesn't sound as good? The setlist isn't changing enough? If the quality isn't what it used to be it might be because they're in their 50's. Regardless, I'm seeing a situation here where the band puts on a show and the majority of people have a good time and come away satisfied from that show and I'm not quite sure what the problem with that is. 

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Trust me I've tried before and Sunset never replies, and is imo just a troll to grind peoples gears. He's better blocked and just ignored, otherwise you're just giving him what he wants, reading these replies while he laughs in his moms basement. No one seriously believes Fortus has anything to do with how many tickets GNR sold. They could have had a complete unknown on rhythm and it would've done just as well, if not even better with Izzy or Gilby there.

Yeah..But I don´t buy it! I can see irony in his posts..So probably it´s just a Fortus hater trying to milking even more hate against him..And he´s getting what he wants..just take a look at the reactions..He´s good..he knows what he does..

God! Sometimes we are very very naive over here! :facepalm:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

But the shows are getting good reviews, so, what's the "quality" issue? Axl doesn't sound as good? The band doesn't sound as good? The setlist isn't changing enough? If the quality isn't what it used to be it might be because they're in their 50's. Regardless, I'm seeing a situation here where the band puts on a show and the majority of people have a good time and come away satisfied from that show and I'm not quite sure what the problem with that is. 

the problem is the vast majority of the concert goeers have no clue what the real gnr sound is and have no idea what the true classic gnr sounded/sounds like - the majority are fan boys and wannabee chick fans plus dad rockers