IZZY STRADLIN (and MATT SORUM) show up at movie festival in Palm Springs

27 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Why is it so hard to understand that not those posts are the problem, they are the exception, but those like the one I and several other enraged people quoted, that you thought was so ridiculous that it could only be meant ironic? He does plently of those just to piss people off as I already said earlier. I have seen this guy post this shit for over a year now and it's always the same game.

Well, if he does that it's a shame! But he´s just reproducing what some other people do around here. It's nothing new on this board.. you were annoyed because it was "against" your idol, that´s all..deal with it and move on.

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

It would even be unwise to do it right now in the middle of a tour. How could they possibly top that? Once you go AFD5 everything from there can only be downhill in most fans eyes.

Also if they do intend to record anything. I think they have to wait until the current line up does whatever it's planning to do, you can't promote two line ups under the same name at the same time. 

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It would even be unwise to do it right now in the middle of a tour. How could they possibly top that? Once you go AFD5 everything from there can only be downhill in most fans eyes.

they should try and do it for all of or half of europe or the final few shows so it's not just a one off 

Just now, double talkin jive mfkr said:

u mean thats not corporate since when has gnr been practical NITL has turned them into a practical act which is the opposite of what they were

No, I mean you can't promote and sell tickets for a tour that's going to have a different line up depending on the night. 

Guys.. its really entrtaining to read that izzy cannot be part of a group..probably you dont know that he has more albums than any member of gnr. The question is not if izzy was the soul of the gnr. Someone who loves slash duff axl more believe the same thing about his fav member. The problem is that the street spirit the atittude lost when he left the band. The success turn the guys to new rich people and they loose their identity. Personally i love all members for different reasons but i dont give a shit about lifestyle or gossip which killed not the only guns but the whole music industry. I dont care about susan holmes meegan Stephanie seymour or perla. I appreciate izzy in my 30s much more because he is not part of this lifestyle and believe me sometimes this is very difficult because of the lack of information pics or everything else about a guy who never provoke the media about his personal life.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tremolo said:

So it’s the age, not a lack of commitment, training and/or practice.

Does Axl have a time machine that brought a younger Axl to play shows with AC/DC?

Does Axl have a time machine that brought a younger Axl to play shows with AC/DC?

Yes. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Derick said:

Well, if he does that it's a shame! But he´s just reproducing what some other people do around here. It's nothing new on this board.. you were annoyed because it was "against" your idol, that´s all..deal with it and move on.

Just..no. Izzy is not my idol. I advice you to check his new "great" post in the official GNR thread about fotus and see what you think about that one. Great guy to stand up for huh?:lol:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

15 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Just..no. Izzy is not my idol. I advice you to check his new "great" post in the official GNR thread about fotus and see what you think about that one. Great guy to stand up for huh?:lol:

Huh? He said what about whom and where?

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, RONIN said:

Beg to differ but opinions vary. Context is key in this particular instance imho.

Duff has been very vocal about Izzy being a very integral part of the band in his book and latter interviews. Here, he almost downplays Izzy by saying that essentially, well you can't say Izzy was unsung because then you'd have to say everybody was unsung. Well, that's just not true because Axl and Slash get way more kudos than either Izzy, Duff, or Steven. Some members of the band are clearly underrated and to say otherwise is just being disingenuous imho. Also the timing of this is weird with Izzy being out of the reunion. Jericho sets up a very easy question for Duff: "Was Izzy underrated in the songwriting process" - it's a simple question, and Duff just kind of dances around it and doesn't really answer but gives the most neutral non-committal reply he can." 

But it's the truth, isn't it? They were all important to that process on the first record. I think you're reading too much into it. I don't think Izzy is unsung either... it's not just on this forum where he is being praised all the time, I think also the more casual fans know that he was a very important factor in the band. I think that is what Duff meant when he said that Izzy isn't unsung. The fans, the band, even in most articles Izzy is often mentioned as one of the main songwriters and his importance, so they all know how important he was. I'm not talking about the people who only know the hits, because for them GnR is probably only Axl and Slash, but I don't think that they were talking about that.

Edited by EvanG

10 hours ago, RONIN said:

Again, opinions vary - but I think the intention behind Duff's answer is clear. He's very clear in his book about what a key role Izzy played in the band. To go from that to "yeah, he was important ...but so was everyone else." Well - that's just a cop-out. He's not really answering the question - was Izzy an unsung hero or not in the band? Duff does this again in that Brazilian interview where the interviewer asks Axl if something had to change about the three of them so they could work together - Duff doesn't even answer the question and gives a completely different answer. Basically imho what he's doing in the Jericho interview.

Duff is smart.

Answering that question differently leads Jericho to the next logical question, "if Izzy is unsung and important - where is he?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

But it's the truth, isn't it? They were all important to that process on the first record. I think you're reading too much into it. I don't think Izzy is unsung either... it's not just on this forum where he is being praised all the time, I think also the more casual fans know that he was a very important factor in the band. I think that is what Duff meant when he said that Izzy isn't unsung. The fans, the band, even in most articles Izzy is often mentioned as one of the main songwriters and his importance, so they all know how important he was. I'm not talking about the people who only know the hits, because for them GnR is probably only Axl and Slash, but I don't think that they were talking about that.

Yeah. It's more the other way round. He isn't unsung at all. The people who care about such things act like he was the only songwriter in the band and the others only came up with crap and were worth shit without him.

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

I sort of agree but not completely.

To me, this is like saying George Harrison isn't the unsung hero of The Beatles because fans appreciate him and he gets some kudos in the media. Well...sure. But is George getting kudos anywhere near John and Paul? No. Clearly, there are some members of that band who are viewed as more important than the other members by most people - fairly or unfairly. This is simply a fact. That, to me, is what Jericho appears to be getting at. Because Axl and Slash are such iconic figures, does Izzy's contributions get lost in the mix? Yeah - they kinda do because if he was that well known for his contributions to the general public, this reunion wouldn't have gone ahead without his participation. No promoter would have signed off on these NITL shows without Izzy's participation because he would be seen as such an integral piece of the band that cutting him out would have a sizeable impact on the sales of the tour. That didn't happen because in the public's mind, Axl and Slash = GnR. Hence, Duff saying Izzy is underrated would be simply stating an obvious fact. Duff himself is an unsung hero of the band in many ways.

I totally see where you're coming from though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. It's more the other way round. He isn't unsung at all. The people who care about such things act like he was the only songwriter in the band and the others only came up with crap and were worth shit without him.

Who are these people? Who is downplaying the accomplishments of Axl as a songwriter? You don't think November Rain, Estranged and all of Axl's other well known songs get rated fairly here? 

If you ask me, I've mostly seen Axl fans here for the last 15 years put down the accomplishments of every other member in the band in some misguided attempt to prove that Axl was the main driving force of GnR. Only recently, since the reunion you're starting to see the flip side of that coin with Slash and Izzy fans claiming their guy was more integral to the band than x person. Speaking for myself, I think Axl's solo work is the strongest out of the other members. Izzy's first few albums were solid. Slash and Duff mostly turned out mediocre stuff post-GnR imho. I love Axl's songwriting. His songs on Illusions in particular are among my favorite. 

I could agree with you that maybe some of Izzy's fans can overstate his importance. Certainly. But you have to understand where they're coming from - Izzy is gone and never coming back. It's difficult for his fans to accept. GnR also has not put out albums post Izzy aside from Chinese Democracy which was a divisive album with the fanbase. If Axl and Slash put out some good albums, maybe the "Izzy" factor can be definitively put to bed. But until these guys do that, some fans will continue to believe that they can't put out something as great as the previous albums without Izzy's participation. It is what it is.

4 hours ago, Kickingthehabit said:

Izzy fucked them by leaving in the 90s. They still view that as a serious betrayal (also bouncing on Velvet Revolver) and don't trust him.

Very good point. I could definitely see that being an issue.

4 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I sort of agree but not completely.

To me, this is like saying George Harrison isn't the unsung hero of The Beatles because fans appreciate him and he gets some kudos in the media. Well...sure. But is George getting kudos anywhere near John and Paul? No. Clearly, there are some members of that band who are viewed as more important than the other members by most people - fairly or unfairly. This is simply a fact. That, to me, is what Jericho appears to be getting at. Because Axl and Slash are such iconic figures, does Izzy's contributions get lost in the mix? Yeah - they kinda do because if he was that well known for his contributions to the general public, this reunion wouldn't have gone ahead without his participation. No promoter would have signed off on these NITL shows without Izzy's participation because he would be seen as such an integral piece of the band that cutting him out would have a sizeable impact on the sales of the tour. That didn't happen because in the public's mind, Axl and Slash = GnR. Hence, Duff saying Izzy is underrated would be simply stating an obvious fact. Duff himself is an unsung hero of the band in many ways.

I totally see where you're coming from though.

Thank you! ^_^ I was just about to post as much....Duff is certainly more underrated than Izzy, at least on this forum, mostly because bass players are underrated in general. 

Let's put it this way, if it had been an Izzy album that dropped last week, we'd have a very long and appreciative thread on it by now.  Duff's Walking Papers dropped an amazing album last week and it barely gets a look in by fans on here.  Duff's bass work on the WP2 album is outstanding, the best he has done since GNR.  In fact, that album blows all of Slash's out of the water - no hyperbole whatsoever.  Jeff is a story telling lyricist - very similar to Izzy - and he's a great guitarist too.  The drumming is awesome.  

It is the best straight up rock album a GNR member has put out by a long shot.  

But...it's Duff.  So...it gets overlooked. :shrugs: At least I get to enjoy it. 

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Thank you! ^_^ I was just about to post as much....Duff is certainly more underrated than Izzy, at least on this forum, mostly because bass players are underrated in general. 

Let's put it this way, if it had been an Izzy album that dropped last week, we'd have a very long and appreciative thread on it by now.  Duff's Walking Papers dropped an amazing album last week and it barely gets a look in by fans on here.  Duff's bass work on the WP2 album is outstanding, the best he has done since GNR.  In fact, that album blows all of Slash's out of the water - no hyperbole whatsoever.  Jeff is a story telling lyricist - very similar to Izzy - and he's a great guitarist too.  The drumming is awesome.  

It is the best straight up rock album a GNR member has put out by a long shot.  

But...it's Duff.  So...it gets overlooked. :shrugs: At least I get to enjoy it. 

No argument from me there. Aside from Steven, Duff is easily the most under the radar member in the band. I think he's very important to the sound of the band. ;)

Isn't there an Axl interview where he mentions how Duff was sick of fans asking him on the Illusion tour "do you know where Axl is?". :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

No argument from me there. Aside from Steven, Duff is easily the most under the radar member in the band. I think he's very important to the sound of the band. ;)

Isn't there an Axl interview where he mentions how Duff was sick of fans asking him on the Illusion tour "do you know where Axl is?". :lol:

Ha! I haven't heard about that interview, but I'm sure they all got the 'never mind you, where's Axl' treatment.  Even Slash.  He's a funny character, Axl.  Even though he's hated as much as he's loved, it's ultimately Axl who gets all the interest.  

• Like 1