THE Best gnr tribute band ever ?

58 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I find it funny how some guys go to great lengths dressing up, and some guys just do not bother their arses. Most of the Duffs have not exactly put in the effort, have they?

I find it funny how some bands spend all their time finding the best costumes, but when you listen to the band, the Slash is some metalhead shredder who has more in common with Kerry King than anyone else. And the Axl is usually terrible, pitchy and way more focussed on stage clothes and padding his boxer shorts. And they've all got these high gain sounds whether they're Slash or Izzy. It's so rare to see a good tribute to guns. 

I don't need the costumes, and the singer doesn't have to be a Axl clone (the singer just needs to have the range to comfortably sing the songs and have the ability to use some distortion). I just want to hear the songs played well. I just feel like most of these bands are thrown together because it would be 'great fun' to play the songs, but actually going into the detail to get the songs right is something most of these bands just don't bother with. And I'm talking about learning the right rhythms, solos, drum fills, getting the right tones and having empty cup holders and mashed rice on stage... Is that so much to ask for?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I just feel like most of these bands are thrown together because it would be 'great fun' to play the songs, but actually going into the detail to get the songs right is something most of these bands just don't bother with. And I'm talking about learning the right rhythms, solos, drum fills, getting the right tones and having empty cup holders and mashed rice on stage... Is that so much to ask for?

Yes, because if someone has to put on that kind of effort, they would be better off making their own music :shrugs:

I totally despise cover bands, especially the ones that emulate the members by dressing like them. They are all really ridiculous and cringeworthy.

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

and the singer doesn't have to be a Axl clone (the singer just needs to have the range to comfortably sing the songs and have the ability to use some distortion).

Totally agree. I actually dislike it when some singer thinks they sound like AXL simply because they sing with rasp and imitate him. They almost always try to hard and come off quite poorly.

The 1st band posted wasn't terrible, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the vocalist. IMO he was trying to hard. Sounded ok in spots but mostly like a cheap imitation.

I've heard some good impressions of AXL (Gareth Rhodes comes to mind), but nobody truly sounds like him or can replicate his style. AXL is that unique.

Like you, I'm more impressed with a band that stays true to GN'R's music but does it with their own style and flair. I guess what I'm saying is that I appreciate a good cover band more than a tribute band.

12 hours ago, killuridols said:

Yes, because if someone has to put on that kind of effort, they would be better off making their own music :shrugs:

I totally despise cover bands, especially the ones that emulate the members by dressing like them. They are all really ridiculous and cringeworthy.

Playing music involves putting effort in, there's no way around it. If you want the easy route to playing in a band, pick up a copy of rock band. If you're in a dedicated cover band to one band in particular no 1 you have to know your shit and no 2 (arguably more important) if you're in a tribute and nobody else dresses up , and you're dressing up in full costume with outfit changes... just don't :P :lol: