black sabbath or led zeppelin?

action

same time period, different style, similar lifecycle. both pretty much disbanded after the 70s, both made a small scale comeback. both reformed briefly for live aid.

which do you prefer?

personally, while i think Led zeppelin has more diversity, i find black sabbath easier to listen to.

there are more high points in zep's catalogue, but sabbath is more consistent.

at the end of the day, i'd rather put on a black sabbath album in stead of a led zeppelin one.

Zeppelin by a country mile.  I do like Sabbath (only with Ozzy though), but in my opinion Zeppelin beats Sabbath in almost every arbitrary category.  Better drummer, singer, lead guitarist, lyrics, songs, live show, etc.  

Both are iconic bands, but there's a lot more musicality in Zeppelin than in Sabbath.  

• Like 2

Love both bands but If I had to choose it would be Zeppelin for me...I do like both the Ozzy and Dio eras of Sabbath and some of the other incarnations are not bad as Tony Iommi is a riff machine.

Got to see Ozzy Sabbath twice once in 1975 at Asbury Park and in 1978 in New Haven, CT. and both were excellent shows...saw them with Dio once which was also a great show.

I had tickets to see Led Zep in 1975 at MSG, NYC but it snowed like crazy that day and I lived a hour from NYC and could not get into the city...still one of my all time concert regrets missing Zep live. I did see Page/Plant in the old Boston Garden with the Orchestera but as good as it was it was not the same..........

On 09/01/2018 at 4:37 PM, classicrawker said:

Love both bands but If I had to choose it would be Zeppelin for me...I do like both the Ozzy and Dio eras of Sabbath and some of the other incarnations are not bad as Tony Iommi is a riff machine.

Got to see Ozzy Sabbath twice once in 1975 at Asbury Park and in 1978 in New Haven, CT. and both were excellent shows...saw them with Dio once which was also a great show.

I had tickets to see Led Zep in 1975 at MSG, NYC but it snowed like crazy that day and I lived a hour from NYC and could not get into the city...still one of my all time concert regrets missing Zep live. I did see Page/Plant in the old Boston Garden with the Orchestera but as good as it was it was not the same..........

I love reading your posts if only because it makes me happy that I'm not the oldest fucker still posting on here. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but he saw better concerts then everyone else here. 

Yeah there is some advantage to being an old bastard I guess................I saw some great shows back in the day........unfortunately I was too altered state to remember much about a lot those concerts  from those days...........but I do remember having a great time......I think......:lol:

It is all a matter of perspective I guess....maybe some of the  younger posters here  envy the shows I saw but I also envy those older than me who got to go to the Fillmore East/ West and see bands like Hendrix, The Doors, Joplin, Cream, Duane Allman the great festivals of the late 60's early 70's and, my ultimate concert fantasy, the Stones 1969 U.S. tour.......hard to believe but I was too young to see those bands/ concerts..........:shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Deep Purple.

But if I had to choose between the two, Sabbath. I loath Zeppelin with something bordering on a passion. 

I don't agree with you concerning Led Zep but you get a like for mentioning a very under rated Deep Purple..........."Made in Japan" has to be one of the top 5 all time great live albums IMHO......and that is without any overdubs or studio sweetening............

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, action said:

same time period, different style, similar lifecycle. both pretty much disbanded after the 70s, both made a small scale comeback. both reformed briefly for live aid.

which do you prefer?

personally, while i think Led zeppelin has more diversity, i find black sabbath easier to listen to.

there are more high points in zep's catalogue, but sabbath is more consistent.

at the end of the day, i'd rather put on a black sabbath album in stead of a led zeppelin one.

Not at all. Zeppelin had a single lineup and disbanded once that lineup was broken, save for a couple of one off reunions. Sabbath became something of a revolving door band with numerous lineup changes, but continued releasing music consistently for their entire career; their longest stretch without a new album was 1995 to 2009 (And, let's face it, The Devil You Know still counts as a Sabbath album). Sabbath never took a hiatus, they never let a member leaving plague them, they were constantly active in one form or another for 50 years straight. 

But to answer the question, Sabbath, and it's not even close. 

11 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Not at all. Zeppelin had a single lineup and disbanded once that lineup was broken, save for a couple of one off reunions. Sabbath became something of a revolving door band with numerous lineup changes, but continued releasing music consistently for their entire career; their longest stretch without a new album was 1995 to 2009 (And, let's face it, The Devil You Know still counts as a Sabbath album). Sabbath never took a hiatus, they never let a member leaving plague them, they were constantly active in one form or another for 50 years straight. 

But to answer the question, Sabbath, and it's not even close. 

fair enough

which do you prefer, the dio or ozzy lineup?

Zeppelin all day all night. I like some sabbath too, but I like way more of Zeppelin's music.

I get that Sabbath were pioneers of metal and all that, but I came up at a time when we already had Metallica and Maiden, and I got into them way more.

Zeppelin grabbed me from the first listen, and have never let me down.