Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 42: BRAIN

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

also mandatory listen about Brain telling about rehearsals for Rio 2001 about how axl never sang with them for rehearsal and how they (axl and brain) talked briefly pre-show

1:25:33

how can someone say or believe that axl is a perffecionist after listening to something like that is beyond me

Idk maybe Axl thinks so highly of himself that he purposely avoids rehearsing so that things don’t get stale. So the band doesn’t just go through the motions so when they finally hit the stage it feels fresh and the energy is elevated to the moon.

As Christopher Thorn of Blind Melon also chimmed in on Axl’s being such perfectionist when he said Axl would rewatch shows and take notes. Thorn said he understood it because when you are playing stadiums you need to bring it every night. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

mandatory listen at...

1:07:36 - Brain tells how he started listening to GNR songs for the first time in his life, specially Appetite songs, and gets amazed by the quality of the songs, arrangements etc

1:09:10 - Brain tells about the "next level" when he started listening even more to GNR songs and gets even more amazed by the quality of the songs, arrangements etc, and also how he notices that he sorta needs to emulate/recreate Steven Adler way of playing specially in respect to the fans. Fantastic quote "Matt Sorum is a metronome and his shit was EASIER (to play)"

:headbang:

===

someone needs to transcribe everything Brain says about the Guns n Roses songs and Steven Adler playing

I'm selfishly/humbly awaiting for a rock news site to pick it up and do the transcribing for us. My last few episodes were. And if 1 "masterpiece" quote from Bumble can go viral...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

also mandatory listen about Brain telling about rehearsals for Rio 2001 about how axl never sang with them for rehearsal and how they (axl and brain) talked briefly pre-show

1:25:33

how can someone say or believe that axl is a perffecionist after listening to something like that is beyond me

I think Brian forgot that they played at that Vegas secret GIG just 2 weeks before RIR and it was basically the same setlist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Idk maybe Axl thinks so highly of himself that he purposely avoids rehearsing so that things don’t get stale. So the band doesn’t just go through the motions so when they finally hit the stage it feels fresh and the energy is elevated to the moon.

As Christopher Thorn of Blind Melon also chimmed in on Axl’s being such perfectionist when he said Axl would rewatch shows and take notes. Thorn said he understood it because when you are playing stadiums you need to bring it every night. 

its a good strategy yes, but not going to a single rehearsal in 3 and a half months before a show after being nearly 8 years away from the stage is lunatic imo

===

that quote about "watching shows and taking notes" is truly, truly hard to swallow. i have never ever read anyone ever mentioning nothing remotely similar to that

au contraire

all the quotes about axl on uyi tour, including from his own words, say that he didnt even wanna be there in the first place

that quote makes absolutely no sense if you ask me