Gardening

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Just something I decided to try this year. If I do it right, the buds will get a bit more even light and airflow, but there's still some shaping to do.

Soon and I need pot growing lessons in case we go into the business.  The last time I grew pot we planted it in fields and only came back when it was time to harvest.  One of those things you just stumble on when you're out hiking. :lol:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Took me a while to get my peppers to start growing, but I've got a few going now and I'm gonna start more soon.

Purple jalapeno:

0PWOKtG.jpg

Super hots:

yQnBRnw.jpg

I had to cut down my Purple Kush plant a bit early, but I've got an Orange Crush plant going strong.

Reveal hidden contents

y1Zr82j.jpg

Looking happy and healthy! Did you start those peppers from seed under the sun?

Im noticing a purple theme. Neat technique with the bending! @cineater and I took a class on container gardening on Tuesday. I think your growing medium mix would have got a passing grade! 

10 hours ago, cineater said:

Soon and I need pot growing lessons in case we go into the business.  The last time I grew pot we planted it in fields and only came back when it was time to harvest.  One of those things you just stumble on when you're out hiking. :lol:

All the booby traps in fields on the TV show Weeds really discouraged one from going looking for crops in the forest! That sounds so fun to grow in the wild like that! Animals left it be? Tell us more about that!!??

After Comstock teaches us, we should start a Grateful Dead themed weed brand!?!? Stella Blue already sounds like it should be the name of a strain of weed :lol:

11 hours ago, cineater said:

I've grown some over the last couple years that I just threw in the soil and let them grow naturally, just watering occasionally. But the end result is better after pruning and bending.

49 minutes ago, soon said:

Looking happy and healthy! Did you start those peppers from seed under the sun?

Im noticing a purple theme. Neat technique with the bending! @cineater and I took a class on container gardening on Tuesday. I think your growing medium mix would have got a passing grade! 

Nah I started the peppers under a grow light. It took a few attempts to germinate the seeds properly, and the super hots can be tricky, especially if the temperature outside is lower than ideal (they like it consistently around 20 C)

47 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Nah I started the peppers under a grow light. It took a few attempts to germinate the seeds properly, and the super hots can be tricky, especially if the temperature outside is lower than ideal (they like it consistently around 20 C)

I gotcha, I figure you used a heating mat while germinating them? I’ve used that for cayenne and jalapeño before. Not that they’re super hots.

Come to think of it, would some strains of cannabis like some heat too? I think OG kush is from a very warm region, unless I’m mistaken. 

Edited by soon

58 minutes ago, soon said:

I gotcha, I figure you used a heating mat while germinating them? I’ve used that for cayenne and jalapeño before. Not that they’re super hots.

Come to think of it, would some strains of cannabis like some heat too? I think OG kush is from a very warm region, unless I’m mistaken. 

The little grow room that I start my plants in has a heater, so I just turned that up a bit lol. The trick that worked best for me was soaking the seeds in weak earl grey tea for about 24 hours before planting them.

Most cannabis strains seem to like some heat, it doesn't get much hotter than 30 C here in the summer but so far the best strain I've found for growing outdoors is Bubba Kush (which I crossed with Blueberry kush). I haven't had an outdoor Bubba plant that was under 5' tall (and some got much taller than that.)

• GNFNR 1

So when they pulled out the hot water heater there had been a leak and the wall behind it has to be repaired.  I'm going for a shower tomorrow and staying gone all day.  It will be a miracle if it's all done tomorrow. :lol:

I did get up to the garden to check my containers.  It's been a week in the hot sun and they still don't need watering.  Think I need to poke some more drain holes in them.

Have made a ton of progress on my garden lately. Its starting to look more like a garden and less like a wild jungle :D

IMG-20200615-225540013.jpg

Have put in about 30 meters of stone border around my lawn, a few hundred liters of landscaping bark, built the rockery (which needs plants still), and also put in my pond complete with a little waterfall. Have also planted more trees, we've about 40 planted now.

My girlfriend bought those cheap plastic orange lights to go around the pond, but they won't be there much longer. Have a feeling they might accidentally fall in the pond and break one day soon :lol:

Edited by downliner

7 hours ago, downliner said:

Have made a ton of progress on my garden lately. Its starting to look more like a garden and less like a wild jungle :D

IMG-20200615-225540013.jpg

Have put in about 30 meters of stone border around my lawn, a few hundred liters of landscaping bark, built the rockery (which needs plants still), and also put in my pond complete with a little waterfall. Have also planted more trees, we've about 40 planted now.

My girlfriend bought those cheap plastic orange lights to go around the pond, but they won't be there much longer. Have a feeling they might accidentally fall in the pond and break one day soon :lol:

Wow!! What an incredible transformation! :headbang:Looking cool! I like the touch with the hay(?) over the rocks, a lot.

In addition to those super slick night club lights (hehe) I think that I see 2 solar panels? One for the fountain pump I assume?

Too cool!

11 hours ago, cineater said:

So when they pulled out the hot water heater there had been a leak and the wall behind it has to be repaired.  I'm going for a shower tomorrow and staying gone all day.  It will be a miracle if it's all done tomorrow. :lol:

I did get up to the garden to check my containers.  It's been a week in the hot sun and they still don't need watering.  Think I need to poke some more drain holes in them.

Im so sorry to hear this. You got so close to having it all sorted for your birthday. Always something, isn't there? 

So, your containers are over-showered and you are under-showered? :lol:

But you can shower at your daughters and still enjoy a perfect day together :headbang:I hope you have a great time and I am looking forward to tonights show!!!

22 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The little grow room that I start my plants in has a heater, so I just turned that up a bit lol. The trick that worked best for me was soaking the seeds in weak earl grey tea for about 24 hours before planting them.

Most cannabis strains seem to like some heat, it doesn't get much hotter than 30 C here in the summer but so far the best strain I've found for growing outdoors is Bubba Kush (which I crossed with Blueberry kush). I haven't had an outdoor Bubba plant that was under 5' tall (and some got much taller than that.)

Dude!!!??!! Well over 5’?!?! :drool:rock3

I’m fascinated by the earl grey soaking. Do you happen what’s going on with that technique? (Because if it were me I would have googled it in one minute, tried it out and just been happy it worked without ever knowing why lol)

Edited by soon

2 hours ago, soon said:

Dude!!!??!! Well over 5’?!?! :drool:rock3

I’m fascinated by the earl grey soaking. Do you happen what’s going on with that technique? (Because if it were me I would have googled it in one minute, tried it out and just been happy it worked without ever knowing why lol)

Apparently soaking them in weak tea has a similar effect as being digested by a bird, so the seed cracks open easier.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

Im so sorry to hear this. You got so close to having it all sorted for your birthday. Always something, isn't there? 

So, your containers are over-showered and you are under-showered? :lol:

But you can shower at your daughters and still enjoy a perfect day together :headbang:I hope you have a great time and I am looking forward to tonights show!!!

Lovely day, no plant sales and I have hot water!  Looking forward to tonight's show.  Throw up the link if you find it before me.

19 minutes ago, cineater said:

Lovely day, no plant sales and I have hot water!  Looking forward to tonight's show.  Throw up the link if you find it before me.

I’m so happy for hot water! And a very well deserved day!

Last week there was no music before the interview. There was a note saying that they weren’t happy with the sound quality that streaming on YT afforded them. and said they were working to be able to present audio that meets their standard. I’m starting to think that there might not be audio ahead of interview again this week, but last week they at least still had the link/video page and chat room open early. 

I am so pumped for the show!! I forget if they mentioned what show it is this week?

Yeah could have watched that but I abandon ship.  Poor Craig he may never leave this job.  And he's on a diet so he can't even eat the donuts he got me for my birthday.  I was thinking I need to get a boyfriend to handle the maintenance on the tankless and keep the married neighbor up the street.  As it is Craig pretty much lives here. :lol:

Damn it's 10 and still hot outside.  I was hoping to work at the garden tomorrow night.  Might be sun rise on Sunday.  

We kept smelling gas, turned off everything we could and slept with the windows open all night.  The closet where it's at smells like gas.  Mike thought he had it but nooooo.

Edited by cineater

12 hours ago, cineater said:

Yeah could have watched that but I abandon ship.  Poor Craig he may never leave this job.  And he's on a diet so he can't even eat the donuts he got me for my birthday.  I was thinking I need to get a boyfriend to handle the maintenance on the tankless and keep the married neighbor up the street.  As it is Craig pretty much lives here. :lol:

Damn it's 10 and still hot outside.  I was hoping to work at the garden tomorrow night.  Might be sun rise on Sunday.  

We kept smelling gas, turned off everything we could and slept with the windows open all night.  The closet where it's at smells like gas.  Mike thought he had it but nooooo.

Dang. Your birthday kinda went sideways there, eh? Sounds a bit unnerving. You'll want to select a boyfriend who is good at pipe fitting as well as walking off the neighbour (did that sounds dirty? wasnt supposed too!) :lol:

Hot all night here too! I had to listen to a bunch more dead to make up for the show.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

I planted 3 of the Verbascum Southern Charm

il_794xN.1049044999_fcwc.jpg

And the native yellow yarrow which to me is really white.

Look at those! Beautiful! I gotta plat some yarrow next year too.