Gardening

Gracii Guns

13 minutes ago, cineater said:

I sent you a picture of the $20 fix.  The gnome placement and the bench against the house is her placement.  I would had did it differently.  Kind of hard to see the pot on the other end.

Looks cool! Especially for $20! But yeah the gnomes look a bit random the way they’re placed. Almost like they will greet you.

im glad your neighbour is loving her yard. I’m sure the pollinators are too! You did some broadcast seeding - I gather that worked out well?

online house shopping sounds kinda fun. Maybe I’ll do that too.

10 minutes ago, cineater said:

Can't beat $20 for that.

She threw some stuff out but I don't think it has come up yet.  We still have to put out the columbine.

Bobby looks old in the group shot.  Nice one more Saturday night for us.

Yeah, nice one more Saturday night for us. Made my day  :) 

Makes me wonder what you could do to my balcony for $20? I’d love to hear your ideas!?

You heard what the PhD said about balconies and weight.  And we have the famous St Louis Dead indecent where the second story deck collapsed under the weight of deadheads at a campground.  I'm not touching your balcony. :lol:

It is so humid here the windows are fogged up.  We got rain but not enough.  It's going to get hot and dry for the next 10 days but we should have some cloud cover.  I have lots to do.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

You heard what the PhD said about balconies and weight.  And we have the famous St Louis Dead indecent where the second story deck collapsed under the weight of deadheads at a campground.  I'm not touching your balcony. :lol:

It is so humid here the windows are fogged up.  We got rain but not enough.  It's going to get hot and dry for the next 10 days but we should have some cloud cover.  I have lots to do.

Haha, well Ill have to talk to the heath and safety coordinator..... Thats me!! :lol: I witnessed and signed for the last inspection by Fire Department. The weights not nearly at capacity, but I will be hiding my stacks of cured firewood for next Fire Department inspection :ph34r::P

Stage collapses and deck collapses at shows is so sad. Hope everyone was alright. I think Cheap Tricks stage collapsed here some time in this millennium. And a collapse in Toronto killed Radio Heads drum tech not that long ago. Scary stuff.

We have very similar weather! I read a short article saying there is a slight chance that your dust storm reaches us. No thanks. lol. 

I better go see how bad the pest infestation has gotten while I was laid out, sick...

Hope you are having a great day with your Daughter and ex! And that your renos will be all finished when you return!

So does it look like I have flowers growing out of my toilet? :lol:  Marsha started with the fertilizer jokes. :lol:  Really like that curtain.  Got lots of great gifts today.

It is so soupy here.  Not sure if the haze is from the humidity or the desert dust.  The leaf mulch in the yard is still very fragrant as is the trunk of my car.

21 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

My jalapeno plant has started budding :D also got a few sugar rush peppers sprouting up, and a some more jalapeno seeds germinating ^_^

Sweet! Your ahead of us here, even if you had earlier germination set backs. Id never heard of Sugar Rush, cool. I regret not growing any hot peppers this year.

New Hot Ones season brought another Ontario sauce to the gauntlet :headbang:There needs to be a west coast sauce represented next season. Maybe one by you?? You ever think of bottling something up?

13 hours ago, cineater said:

So does it look like I have flowers growing out of my toilet? :lol:  Marsha started with the fertilizer jokes. :lol:  Really like that curtain.  Got lots of great gifts today.

It is so soupy here.  Not sure if the haze is from the humidity or the desert dust.  The leaf mulch in the yard is still very fragrant as is the trunk of my car.

Oh so you get to grow flowers in your toilet even thought the PhD said not too? hmmm :lol: Yeah, like Marsha said, you can use organic and sustainable methods :rofl-lol: The curtain is so awesome!

What did ya get for gifts?!

Sounds like you might want to douse your trunk with baking soda. Sprinkle down a layer, leave it an hour or 3 and then vacuum it up.

I think the good guys might be winning at my garden. Ive seen hover flies, wasps and lady bugs. So if I have aphids they're in trouble! But I am actually worried since Im seeing multiple symptoms on my beans - so I hope theres no disease on top of pests.

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Sweet! Your ahead of us here, even if you had earlier germination set backs. Id never heard of Sugar Rush, cool. I regret not growing any hot peppers this year.

New Hot Ones season brought another Ontario sauce to the gauntlet :headbang:There needs to be a west coast sauce represented next season. Maybe one by you?? You ever think of bottling something up?

I'm excited to try sugar rush. It's about 4-5x hotter than a jalapeno but the flavour description got me interested, it's supposedly very sweet with a hint of citrus, and some nice mid-level heat. :drool:

Once I've harvested a good amount of peppers I'll try making some hot sauces, but it'll take me a while since I'm always tweaking recipes lol. I might just make powder out of the Devils Tongue peppers. I've also got some Aji Dulce peppers starting, which has habanero flavour but almost no heat, so I'll probably try mixing those into a Sugar Rush hot sauce... there will be lots of experimenting :D

31 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm excited to try sugar rush. It's about 4-5x hotter than a jalapeno but the flavour description got me interested, it's supposedly very sweet with a hint of citrus, and some nice mid-level heat. :drool:

Once I've harvested a good amount of peppers I'll try making some hot sauces, but it'll take me a while since I'm always tweaking recipes lol. I might just make powder out of the Devils Tongue peppers. I've also got some Aji Dulce peppers starting, which has habanero flavour but almost no heat, so I'll probably try mixing those into a Sugar Rush hot sauce... there will be lots of experimenting :D

Sugar rush sounds really interesting - I wouldn’t think that such a hot pepper could also be so sweet!

Sounds perfect to mix with the Aji Dulce. A sweet hot pepper makes me think of jelly too (but I think maybe you don’t go for jelly iirc). With the citrus flavour sugar rush has too, it’s almost it’s own complete flavour profile! My mind goes to coffee and salt to round it all out with some bitter and umami. Or coffee and olive brine?? Nah, that’s bonkers, right? Lol

tweaking recipes is so fun! Man, the only thing cooler than you having a sauce on Hot Ones would be if I replaced Mayer in the Dead. :headbang:

Once you’ve got your hot peppers out in their containers do they all receive the same care? Are any more difficult?

29 minutes ago, soon said:

Sugar rush sounds really interesting - I wouldn’t think that such a hot pepper could also be so sweet!

Sounds perfect to mix with the Aji Dulce. A sweet hot pepper makes me think of jelly too (but I think maybe you don’t go for jelly iirc). With the citrus flavour sugar rush has too, it’s almost it’s own complete flavour profile! My mind goes to coffee and salt to round it all out with some bitter and umami. Or coffee and olive brine?? Nah, that’s bonkers, right? Lol

tweaking recipes is so fun! Man, the only thing cooler than you having a sauce on Hot Ones would be if I replaced Mayer in the Dead. :headbang:

Once you’ve got your hot peppers out in their containers do they all receive the same care? Are any more difficult?

Yea once the peppers are outside they all get the same treatment, basically just water and pest control as necessary. A bit of pruning here and there.

I might try making jelly, we'll see how it all works out at the end of the growing season lol. Coffee would probably be a good balance for the Sugar Rush, but like you said it's basically it's own complete flavour profile. I'll definitely be experimenting the most with those peppers, probably try a Sugar Rush seafood marinade or salad dressing as soon as I have enough peppers.

• Like 1

Leaf mulch :lol:  I've been working in the yard most of the day.  Hauling leaf mulch in from the garden.  We had cloud cover and I was taking advantage of the shade.  Tonight we are getting 2 to 4 inches of rain, some areas 6.  It comes in at 2 in the morning.  We get that there will be a flash flood at the gardens and I wanted to get the leaf mulch before it floated away.

Craig worked all day on the bathrooms and is real close to done.  He has to grout/caulk some more and cut down one of my doors and then take all the trash out of my garage.  He could be out of here soon.  He may come for a while tomorrow afternoon but more likely Wednesday.

13 hours ago, cineater said:

Leaf mulch :lol:  I've been working in the yard most of the day.  Hauling leaf mulch in from the garden.  We had cloud cover and I was taking advantage of the shade.  Tonight we are getting 2 to 4 inches of rain, some areas 6.  It comes in at 2 in the morning.  We get that there will be a flash flood at the gardens and I wanted to get the leaf mulch before it floated away.

Craig worked all day on the bathrooms and is real close to done.  He has to grout/caulk some more and cut down one of my doors and then take all the trash out of my garage.  He could be out of here soon.  He may come for a while tomorrow afternoon but more likely Wednesday.

You was hauling leaf mulch all day and half the night? :lol: Now that you smell of leaf mulch, your trunk wont bother you. :lol: I hope that there was no flash flood?

Your place will be finished in time for Independence Day at the latest! :headbang:

We had some early fireworks last night too. :axl92: Although we'll be without our huge party and major fireworks display. Sweet Cornbread says 'good riddance!' 

21 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

probably try a Sugar Rush seafood marinade or salad dressing as soon as I have enough peppers.

That sounds perfect! Ive never had sugar rush and now I want to marinate seafood in it! lol. Maybe a nice thick white fish or tiger shrimp. :drool:

• Like 1

I want to finish up the leaf mulch but it keeps raining.  Wouldn't stop me but I got in the mood to clean.  Just get out of my way when I'm in the mood, lol.  The bathrooms look so nice, the rest of the house needs to match and mom's coming on Thursday.  There's that but I kind of like fixing up the house.  It's been a while since I did that.  Going to do more of that.  Think I'm done bleeding money for the moment. :lol:  Just hope the AC holds out for this summer.

After all the commotion I left all the noise off in the house today.  It was nice just to listen to the rain, the hum of the washer and dryer.  We're not telling Craig I used those two bathtubs as wash basins. :lol:  I'm going to take a little break from cleaning, half the living room sparkles, and maybe pull some weeds.  I'm feeling a little out of touch with the world.  It's nice.  Give me more days like this.

50 minutes ago, cineater said:

I want to finish up the leaf mulch but it keeps raining.  Wouldn't stop me but I got in the mood to clean.  Just get out of my way when I'm in the mood, lol.  The bathrooms look so nice, the rest of the house needs to match and mom's coming on Thursday.  There's that but I kind of like fixing up the house.  It's been a while since I did that.  Going to do more of that.  Think I'm done bleeding money for the moment. :lol:  Just hope the AC holds out for this summer.

After all the commotion I left all the noise off in the house today.  It was nice just to listen to the rain, the hum of the washer and dryer.  We're not telling Craig I used those two bathtubs as wash basins. :lol:  I'm going to take a little break from cleaning, half the living room sparkles, and maybe pull some weeds.  I'm feeling a little out of touch with the world.  It's nice.  Give me more days like this.

What are you doing with all that leaf mulch?

I need to catch that house cleaning vibe :lol:

Im enjoying my version of home improvement too. Starting to feel like I live in the future. Hope you get to do as much more as you wish!

Those beautiful bathtubs! Craig would not approve, lol. Your Mom is gonna love it all!

Enjoy your day!!

Mulching my beds at home.  I have half of the side of the house and all across the fence to do.  This rain was wonderful.  The ground is soaked.  The plants are looking all happy.  I worked on the space between the driveways.  Mike should be almost happy.  The milkweed is still blooming so I left that up.  I have to hurry, once the sun comes out it's going to get hot and humid.

Still lots to do.  Hope my motivation keeps up.  Let's get to Weir Wednesday!

And would I leave Craig out of the clean up fun?  I recommended his yard to be on a garden tour.  Ahahaha  People freak trying to get their yard perfect in time for the tour.

11 hours ago, cineater said:

Mulching my beds at home.  I have half of the side of the house and all across the fence to do.  This rain was wonderful.  The ground is soaked.  The plants are looking all happy.  I worked on the space between the driveways.  Mike should be almost happy.  The milkweed is still blooming so I left that up.  I have to hurry, once the sun comes out it's going to get hot and humid.

Still lots to do.  Hope my motivation keeps up.  Let's get to Weir Wednesday!

And would I leave Craig out of the clean up fun?  I recommended his yard to be on a garden tour.  Ahahaha  People freak trying to get their yard perfect in time for the tour.

Sounds like a huge job! Your busy like a squirrel in the fall.

I am perfectly in the mood for Weir Wednesday!! :headbang:Will be a good reward for all your hard work too.

hahahaha, thats hilarious - does Craig know yet? :lol:

26 minutes ago, soon said:

Sounds like a huge job! Your busy like a squirrel in the fall.

I am perfectly in the mood for Weir Wednesday!! :headbang:Will be a good reward for all your hard work too.

hahahaha, thats hilarious - does Craig know yet? :lol:

The people I suggested it to think it's a great idea.  Craig is blissfully unaware at the moment but I think I'll fuck with him this afternoon.

I got up at 5 and tore into the rest of the living room.  Took a break at 7 to go get more leaf mulch, went back a second time and finished just as the rain came down.  Got a couple of bushes to trim and I'm done with that.

16 minutes ago, cineater said:

The people I suggested it to think it's a great idea.  Craig is blissfully unaware at the moment but I think I'll fuck with him this afternoon.

I got up at 5 and tore into the rest of the living room.  Took a break at 7 to go get more leaf mulch, went back a second time and finished just as the rain came down.  Got a couple of bushes to trim and I'm done with that.

I cant wait to hear what Craig thinks of this! Hopefully he doesnt stop working on your place so he can focus on getting his garden tidy! :lol:

You are kicking ass over there! Sounds nice. I slept in and am eating a left over jamaican patty for breakfast, lol. Your place is gonna be perfect when your Mom comes over.

Good as it gets.  I'm done until Craig gets his stuff out of the second bedroom.  Friday I'm dealing with all the garden stuff.  And hopefully I get to clean carpets over the weekend.  Not sure what I'll do with myself next week. :lol:

35 minutes ago, cineater said:

Good as it gets.  I'm done until Craig gets his stuff out of the second bedroom.  Friday I'm dealing with all the garden stuff.  And hopefully I get to clean carpets over the weekend.  Not sure what I'll do with myself next week. :lol:

Well done! You remind me of me in week 3 of lockdown! :lol: and now that it’s all done I have the exact same feeling - “what now?” If you don’t think of something, Marsha will! :lol:

So what did Craig think about being signed up for the garden tour?

Just now, soon said:

No, I cant find it either. Nugs is streaming Canada Day stuff, thats all I see. :( 

Guess it's that solidarity stuff again.  It's okay I was falling a sleep.  I need a power nap.

Craig said his garden wasn't ready to tour.  Told them that's okay he had 3 weeks, lol.

1 minute ago, cineater said:

Guess it's that solidarity stuff again.  It's okay I was falling a sleep.  I need a power nap.

Craig said his garden wasn't ready to tour.  Told them that's okay he had 3 weeks, lol.

Man, I was looking forward to the show. Was looking forward to sharing some of what I learned about the Dead today too! But I can imagine you could use a good power nap.

Haha, Im telling ya, he wont finish your place if he's under that deadline for his own place! :lol: