Gardening

Gracii Guns

2 hours ago, soon said:

Man, I was looking forward to the show. Was looking forward to sharing some of what I learned about the Dead today too! But I can imagine you could use a good power nap.

Haha, Im telling ya, he wont finish your place if he's under that deadline for his own place! :lol:

I did need that nap.  And an allergy pill.  I think I slept about 3 hours last night and got up at 5.  I get on a roll like that I'm going for it.  The secret is to not stop and just keep going.

I gave Craig an excuse to play in his garden.  There's no way that guy's garden isn't presentable.  It's just not perfect, lol, up to his standards.  I have to introduce him to the Japanese Hoe.  He said he was finishing this week.  Didn't answer my question if I could put my clothes back in the closet.  Just wanted the phone number to my scrape guy.  Apparently he was replacing somebody's water heater today.

Asked Mike's father if I could borrow his carpet cleaner.  Keep in mind I've used it several times because he gave it to Mike.  Mike tells me his father wants to give me instructions on how to use it.  Mike advises me against getting it too wet because of the padding.  Thinks I'm cleaning carpets because the cats peed on it.  He has threaten his father never to clean his carpets because it's bad for it.  Okay guys, shut up.  It was Julie who borrowed the carpet clean, cleaned up cat pee and didn't clean the machine.  I cleaned it!  I have a hand helder cleaner if the cats make a mess.  I don't have that padding under my carpet.  I have foam padding that doesn't soak up water.  No, the construction guys didn't make a mess.  It's just time for me to clean the carpets!  Get those high traffic areas.  WTF, I'm the one who is doing it and if you won't use the carpet cleaner on your carpets, what do you need it for?!  One of those conversations you just don't want to be in. :lol:

We had that conversation while Mike was on break.  He cut down a tree and now he's trying to get the roots out by cutting them with a chainsaw and a reciprocating saw.  To get the dirt away from the roots he's using a screwdriver.  When asked why he didn't just have it grinded out, he says it's because he wants to plant another tree there.  Im thinking but the grinder would take care of that big stuff in minutes and you could continue to take out the litter stuff your way.  Also another conversation I don't want to be in. :lol:  Do it your way, I just came out for a smoke.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Damn, the mosquitos are out in force.  Get in the house, get in the house. :lol: 

I dunno, Cin. The bugs seem to all have my back. Did you piss them off or something? :lol:

Well, maybe Craig will win the tour then?

Mike and his Dad sound like they're not who you want to go for a pint or coffee with, lol. Man that sounds annoying, especially about the carpet. I hate when someone is misremembering something and attributing a shitty event to me by mistake. Happened to me with a cottage Id rent, summers in high school. The third year I arrive to a big note and rule book. The rules were all common sense stuff that Id been practicing already. And the note was about them being upset Id had a party. Id never had a party. Must have been someone else. But I couldnt correct it via notes left at a cottage obviously, so I just never booked with them again. Sucked.

So, Im realizing that Im just not excited about my garden. First time Ive ever felt this way. Like I value it and take care of it. I know a harvest is coming. But theres also just nothing to magical about this years crops. The chives taste like shit actually. Even witnessing something as awesome as the beneficial insects clean up the pests - just nothing is getting a rise out of me. :shrugs:

That's because I've turned you into a flower boy. :lol:

I've been here for about an hour getting ready to respond. :lol:  Busy day.  I just did what is suppose to be my last plant sale with exception of my friend's order I'm taking to her next week.  Tomorrow I want to take the remaining big plants back to the hoop house for group care.  A few little ones are staying with me.

Lunch and shopping went well with mom with the exception of my new beautiful ceramic trash can rolling out of the bag and smashing on the driveway.  I knew when she put it in the bag with the towels that was a bad move.  Popped the hatch and it rolled right out before we ever got out of the car.  Knew it was a bad idea to buy that but it was just so pretty.  The store took no responsibility for it and I'm not doing that again.

So we've been busted at the gardens for not social distancing.  Some people just have to be right on you to talk.  You back up and they keep coming on.  The decision will be made next week about going to 50 people but they are considering making us wear masks all the time.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, cineater said:

That's because I've turned you into a flower boy. :lol:

I've been here for about an hour getting ready to respond. :lol:  Busy day.  I just did what is suppose to be my last plant sale with exception of my friend's order I'm taking to her next week.  Tomorrow I want to take the remaining big plants back to the hoop house for group care.  A few little ones are staying with me.

Lunch and shopping went well with mom with the exception of my new beautiful ceramic trash can rolling out of the bag and smashing on the driveway.  I knew when she put it in the bag with the towels that was a bad move.  Popped the hatch and it rolled right out before we ever got out of the car.  Knew it was a bad idea to buy that but it was just so pretty.  The store took no responsibility for it and I'm not doing that again.

So we've been busted at the gardens for not social distancing.  Some people just have to be right on you to talk.  You back up and they keep coming on.  The decision will be made next week about going to 50 people but they are considering making us wear masks all the time.

Hahahahaha! Well, I have flower on valerian, chamomile and chives :nervous::lol:

The sales not over. Its never over :lol: Did you take them back to the hoop house?

Glad you had a nice time out with your Mom. Sucks about the ceramic trash can - that wouldnt last long in my care either!

Im experiencing the same at the garden, they just keep walking towards you as you back away. And they have to first circumnavigate the raised bed! Youre all bad kids and now you get slapped on the wrist. Will be hot to wear masks all the time in the hoop house?

The hoop house is little bit cooler with the shade cloth on.  The property is full sun and we are exerting ourselves.  We're breathing hard to begin with.  And we have homemade masks that are close to worthless to begin with.

Plants made it back to the hoop house.  No way on the hostas.  There must be 30 to 40 of them.  They are not coming home with me.  As you saw I came back and started doing the containers and flats.  That's not the end of that but that's all I found at my house for now.  Problem is the car is too dirty for me to put them in there and run them back to the greenhouse.  I'll stack them up in the living room for now.  Craig is going to be working out of the spare room tomorrow.  Mom liked the bathrooms.  Didn't really say anything about the clean house except to say I have too much stuff. :blink:  It's clean stuff. :lol:

49 minutes ago, cineater said:

The hoop house is little bit cooler with the shade cloth on.  The property is full sun and we are exerting ourselves.  We're breathing hard to begin with.  And we have homemade masks that are close to worthless to begin with.

Plants made it back to the hoop house.  No way on the hostas.  There must be 30 to 40 of them.  They are not coming home with me.  As you saw I came back and started doing the containers and flats.  That's not the end of that but that's all I found at my house for now.  Problem is the car is too dirty for me to put them in there and run them back to the greenhouse.  I'll stack them up in the living room for now.  Craig is going to be working out of the spare room tomorrow.  Mom liked the bathrooms.  Didn't really say anything about the clean house except to say I have too much stuff. :blink:  It's clean stuff. :lol:

Its so hot here!! So lucky me for having nothing to do at the garden. :( lol

Craig working for you on July 4th? And a Saturday one at that? Thats really cool of him!

I knew your Mom would be happy with you awesome new bathrooms! Your Mom always has a comment though, doesnt she? :lol:

My black beans are supposed to be bush beans but some are clearly vines. Ive said it before and Ill say it again - I really need to switch suppliers! :lol:

She didn't tell me to throw out my stuff. :lol:  Marsha is cussing me.  She saw my place and now she's on a roll to work on hers.  She cleaned all day and is on her way to pick up leaf mulch. :lol:

I got the car vacuumed but it started to rain so I just threw everything back in the car.  Need to organize my buckets of garden tools and such.  There's room to put the pots in there and take them back tomorrow morning.  After that I crashed hard on the couch.  I would have kept on sleeping but we have this:

https://youtu.be/3MTnhITpJhI

14 minutes ago, cineater said:

She didn't tell me to throw out my stuff. :lol:  Marsha is cussing me.  She saw my place and now she's on a roll to work on hers.  She cleaned all day and is on her way to pick up leaf mulch. :lol:

I got the car vacuumed but it started to rain so I just threw everything back in the car.  Need to organize my buckets of garden tools and such.  There's room to put the pots in there and take them back tomorrow morning.  After that I crashed hard on the couch.  I would have kept on sleeping but we have this:

https://youtu.be/3MTnhITpJhI

Well, Marsha has sure kept you busy too! :lol:

I love that Dead roadies are also celebrities! This guy is f'n cool! 

12 minutes ago, cineater said:

Yeah, lol.  I'm going to see if the library has his book.

My computer is being slow.  Should have rebooted.

Bobby in short shorts. Jerry with long hair. Bill refusing to look towards Mickey. This is shaping up to be a great show! :lol::headbang:

They are rocking Big River.  Jerry with a lot of weight on him.  When his hair catches in the light like that, angel like.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/avanti-in-the-garden-bath-ensemble/819579?categoryId=13438  That was the trash can.  Doesn't come in plastic.  I got the cup.

Did you fall asleep?  You're missing a good show.

Edited by cineater

1 hour ago, cineater said:

They are rocking Big River.  Jerry with a lot of weight on him.  When his hair catches in the light like that, angel like.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/avanti-in-the-garden-bath-ensemble/819579?categoryId=13438  That was the trash can.  Doesn't come in plastic.  I got the cup.

Did you fall asleep?  You're missing a good show.

Im here! I wrote another post earlier, but somehow it was lost, I guess. Killer show!

Good thing the ceramic trash can wasnt branded by Grateful Dead, or else youd be out at least $600. :lol:

The one keyboard player, Welnick, looks even more like my old dealer than Lesh does!

So my neighbor walked over during the middle of my vacuuming out the car.  It's hot out there, I'm dripping sweat and I'm trying to beat the rain.  I didn't turn off the vacuum.  You guessed it.  She bringing back plant containers to me.  She saw me out there all morning working on them and saw I had cleaned up the mess on the driveway and no she didn't rinse them out.  Okay just put them in the garage.  Then she asks if I have anything else blooming to sell. :lol:  No!

And just a few minutes ago, Marsha texts me and wants to know how many of this baby plant I'm caring for do I have left. :lol:

Yeah, plant sale and cleaning pots is not over!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cineater said:

So my neighbor walked over during the middle of my vacuuming out the car.  It's hot out there, I'm dripping sweat and I'm trying to beat the rain.  I didn't turn off the vacuum.  You guessed it.  She bringing back plant containers to me.  She saw me out there all morning working on them and saw I had cleaned up the mess on the driveway and no she didn't rinse them out.  Okay just put them in the garage.  Then she asks if I have anything else blooming to sell. :lol:  No!

And just a few minutes ago, Marsha texts me and wants to know how many of this baby plant I'm caring for do I have left. :lol:

Yeah, plant sale and cleaning pots is not over!

Your neighbours like “I can see that you enjoy washing pots. So I left mine filthy and brought it to you so you can clean it!” :facepalm::lol:

its like the mob - you can’t leave. :lol:

i imagine you and your neighbourhood have some celebrations today?

I guess Baby Blue is off of Weirs solo album? His and Jerry’s debut solo albums were basically two of the best Dead albums - so much of their concert staples come from those solo albums. Sugaree, Deal, Loser, wheel, one more Saturday night, playing in the band.

Not sure who recorded that or it could be on a Dead album.  It's one of those songs that gets around to everybody.

Craig is on his way over!  Yep, the neighbors blow up the neighborhood tonight.  Not that they didn't do a pretty good job last night.  With the humidity the smell of exploded fireworks just hung in the air.  Not sure how we got to the 4th already.  What happen to June?

12 minutes ago, cineater said:

Not sure who recorded that or it could be on a Dead album.  It's one of those songs that gets around to everybody.

Craig is on his way over!  Yep, the neighbors blow up the neighborhood tonight.  Not that they didn't do a pretty good job last night.  With the humidity the smell of exploded fireworks just hung in the air.  Not sure how we got to the 4th already.  What happen to June?

Oops, thats a Dylan cover. Was confusing it with Looks Like Rain. Thats from a Bobby solo album.

Thats so great that Craig is gone work for you today. Hope he can finish it up!! I wonder if he'll have any plant orders for you too? :lol:

I wonder how many more nights of fireworks youll get? :lol: Our Canada Day was strange. No big event, but a lot of people still went to the Hill. I saw a lot of middle aged white men in cammo pants holding a protest and then later a man fitting that description drove his truck through the gates of the PMs residence (and the attorney generals). He had an assault riffle and made threats before being arrested.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba-man-accused-of-ramming-gate-at-rideau-hall-with-truck-faces-multiple-charges-1.5009520

Hopefully y'alls goes more smoothly!!

I feel the same, where did June go??

a man is worth only as much as his spade.

I got this baby for my upcoming birthday:

IMG_6197-600x400.jpg

made from a traditional method from hickory wood and steel. No screws to hold it secure; you can see two steel bolts driven through the wood by a blacksmith. The steel is hand made, with machines used by an old blacksmith family. when this family wasn't financially viable anymore, a large company offered them a wage if they continued making spades.

My grandfather, an arborist, bought his own spades from this same small blacksmith family. And now I got one of my own. This baby is built to last. I've worked with one of these from when I was as old as 8, and I can safely know a great spade when I see one. I couldn't be happier. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, action said:

a man is worth only as much as his spade.

I got this baby for my upcoming birthday:

IMG_6197-600x400.jpg

made from a traditional method from hickory wood and steel. No screws to hold it secure; you can see two steel bolts driven through the wood by a blacksmith. The steel is hand made, with machines used by an old blacksmith family. when this family wasn't financially viable anymore, a large company offered them a wage if they continued making spades.

My grandfather, an arborist, bought his own spades from this same small blacksmith family. And now I got one of my own. This baby is built to last. I've worked with one of these from when I was as old as 8, and I can safely know a great spade when I see one. I couldn't be happier. 

Fuck. Yeah.

Dude, that is killer! Hard to find such a quality spade. I go through one a season. That craftsmanship is exquisite!

Clearly your wife and kids feared for your life at the beaks of your hens and have bought you this solid object so that you may defend yourself. :lol:

Nah, but thats such a neat story and history. For the craftspeople and also for your own family. Too cool. :headbang:

• Thanks 1

That is a great shovel!

My bathrooms are done!  He has to come back and redo the grout and when he went to tighten up the toilet paper holder, he pulled it off the wall.  Little things but it's done and all the trash gone.  Took all the plant containers back to the greenhouse plus one shelf this morning.  What has been the center of my life for the last 5 months is over.

Strange not to have the fourth of July parade go down our street this morning.

44 minutes ago, soon said:

Clearly your wife and kids feared for your life at the beaks of your hens and have bought you this solid object so that you may defend yourself. :lol:

my hens are such darlings really. everyday they get a fresh crop of salad and leftovers from whatever we're eating. fresh bathing sand now and then, and lots of love. cleaning their shit can get ugly sometimes though. when its solid it's ok, but sometimes their droppings are bit more fluid and then it smells like the plague.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cineater said:

That is a great shovel!

My bathrooms are done!  He has to come back and redo the grout and when he went to tighten up the toilet paper holder, he pulled it off the wall.  Little things but it's done and all the trash gone.  Took all the plant containers back to the greenhouse plus one shelf this morning.  What has been the center of my life for the last 5 months is over.

Strange not to have the fourth of July parade go down our street this morning.

That’s great, Cin!!! I’m so happy for you to have your bathrooms done and all the Reno stuff out of your space!!

yeah, this is gonna be an adjustment for you - both the Reno and all the plant sale stuff come in to an end at the same time. 

Has the pandemic been 5 months now?!?!? Shit!!

2 hours ago, action said:

my hens are such darlings really. everyday they get a fresh crop of salad and leftovers from whatever we're eating. fresh bathing sand now and then, and lots of love. cleaning their shit can get ugly sometimes though. when its solid it's ok, but sometimes their droppings are bit more fluid and then it smells like the plague.

Gross! What are you doing with the droppings?