Gardening

Gracii Guns

12 minutes ago, cineater said:

Is this The Other One?  I hear it in there.

You catch the coming around part.

Called it!

You did! I wasnt hearing it when You first said it, but there it went!

I never noticed that, to me, Mickey has some sort of Lars vibe lol

Lars as in Lars Ulrich?  Not really familiar with his sound but I would think Micky came first.

It's hard to lose me in a Dead jam.  I've heard them many times play their way around deciding on what song they wanted to do next.

Many years from now somebody is going to ask what you did during the pandemic of 2020 and you're going to say, I became a Dead Head. :headbang:

Edited by cineater

11 hours ago, cineater said:

115879898_10163996350475437_875872562402

That's my kid on opening day for baseball.

In her Dead t shirt, you must be so proud?! Shes playing, she's there as a nurse? 

Nurses are fucking rockstars! :headbang: Caleb is a very lucky man. 

11 hours ago, cineater said:

Lars as in Lars Ulrich?  Not really familiar with his sound but I would think Micky came first.

It's hard to lose me in a Dead jam.  I've heard them many times play their way around deciding on what song they wanted to do next.

Many years from now somebody is going to ask what you did during the pandemic of 2020 and you're going to say, I became a Dead Head. :headbang:

Not playing styles, just the way they chew gum and have this air of confidence like everything they are doing is amazing, lol.

Too cool, cant wait until I get that familiar!

Fuck yeah! And Ill told them it was you who brought the bus around! :headbang:

1 minute ago, soon said:

Nice! Did you decide to go with any additional lighting? If it doesnt flower soon, Id say go with the red/blue full spectrum.

I didn’t yet but I did take to to my parents’ for a week where they have a nice big garden so it got a good dose of sunlight. 

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I didn’t yet but I did take to to my parents’ for a week where they have a nice big garden so it got a good dose of sunlight. 

Great thinking! Thats another principle of permaculture - adapting your layout to find additional energy sources. :headbang:

Im jealous of you, Cin, and Comstock. Im not growing any tomatoes or peppers this year.

How can you not grow a tomato?  Every garden should have a cherry tomato.  You're out there working in the hot and there's your hydration source just hanging there.

That's the kid.  They are allowed to wear a non uniform shirt on special occasions like opening day of baseball.  It's a morale booster for patients and staff.  Something about that picture that says you're your mother.  Did I mention my sister and her daughter were beauty pageant people?  And yeah I use to sell makeup to make ends meet.  Nothing against those folks, it's your job.  That's her job and she's ready to work.  Her focus was her patients and staff when she got up.  She's not the beauty queen posing over your chart.  She's the one who draws your blood when nobody else can find your vein.  The one who comes when the alarms are going off on your equipment.  The one who listens when you tell her how to skin a squirrel and thinks your life was interesting.  She's the nurse you want when you really need a nurse.  

Hot and yucky here.  I'm off to water the plants just to play in the hose.

29 minutes ago, cineater said:

How can you not grow a tomato?  Every garden should have a cherry tomato.  You're out there working in the hot and there's your hydration source just hanging there.

That's the kid.  They are allowed to wear a non uniform shirt on special occasions like opening day of baseball.  It's a morale booster for patients and staff.  Something about that picture that says you're your mother.  Did I mention my sister and her daughter were beauty pageant people?  And yeah I use to sell makeup to make ends meet.  Nothing against those folks, it's your job.  That's her job and she's ready to work.  Her focus was her patients and staff when she got up.  She's not the beauty queen posing over your chart.  She's the one who draws your blood when nobody else can find your vein.  The one who comes when the alarms are going off on your equipment.  The one who listens when you tell her how to skin a squirrel and thinks your life was interesting.  She's the nurse you want when you really need a nurse.  

Hot and yucky here.  I'm off to water the plants just to play in the hose.

Your daughter is all the nurses, Cin :wub:. What position does she play?

She saves lives!! I can’t imagine the courage and dedication. 

Just about maximizing yeilds as far as tomatoes go. In my big fields that are shut down this year I grow like 100 tomato plants. In my little garden I could get more food stuffs from black bush beans then a few tomatoes in the same space. But at least these might be wax beans for hydration! :lol: I did hope to grow a few hot peppers. But with pandemic uncertainty I didn’t bother starting any at home.

So hot here too! And I was out of clean socks so I had to wear winter socks. I’m so sweaty!! Lol I’m literally standing next to the vent of an office building that is shooting out cool air! Lol

I do that, lol.  I have several places in the garden where I know cool air is shot out.  I'm blowing through clothes too with sweat.  I have one of those naturally filled water bras, lol.

Karen is a charge nurse.  She supervises the activities of the other nurses while carrying a few patients of her own.  She got promoted pretty quickly in her career.  She works with the elderly, stroke patients.  12 hour shifts.  

Called it.  Susan's test came back prediabetic.  You can't sit on your ass and eat like shit and not get that.

38 minutes ago, cineater said:

I do that, lol.  I have several places in the garden where I know cool air is shot out.  I'm blowing through clothes too with sweat.  I have one of those naturally filled water bras, lol.

Karen is a charge nurse.  She supervises the activities of the other nurses while carrying a few patients of her own.  She got promoted pretty quickly in her career.  She works with the elderly, stroke patients.  12 hour shifts.  

Called it.  Susan's test came back prediabetic.  You can't sit on your ass and eat like shit and not get that.

I wish I had some vents at the garden! Glad Im not the only one doing 2 pairs of socks per day! lol You should store your bra in the freezer! :lol:

Fuck thats incredible - she stood out to her bosses that quickly! She's a supervisor already!? 12 hours of that level of care and attention to detail, at a fast pace must be so fucking difficult, too! Awesome! You should be very proud of her. And the wedding still hasnt happened so.... :wub::lol:

Sad news for Susan. Good to get it identified at least. Yeah, you called it. I have to imagine theres reasons why someone wouldnt take better care. Good thing theres a few people like you out there spreading love and joy.

Lots of Americans are in that boat.  They eat out way too much and eat prepackaged food.  Then sit on their ass.  Susan is going to come out of this pandemic a brand new woman.

I'm melting. :lol:  Turn on the hose and bugs come from everywhere for a drink.

50 minutes ago, cineater said:

Lots of Americans are in that boat.  They eat out way too much and eat prepackaged food.  Then sit on their ass.  Susan is going to come out of this pandemic a brand new woman.

I'm melting. :lol:  Turn on the hose and bugs come from everywhere for a drink.

I hope she comes out all the better for it. One thing Ive been reflecting on during pandemic is about how much demands there are on the average working class person. And how that distracts people from things like making food.

Baking bread at home became super popular as soon as the pandemic hit. I guess a lot of people really wanted to try that and literally never had the chance. A majority of people dont have time to prepare 3 meals for themselves a day. Its impossible! Even preparing 1 a day is difficult with the pressures on people of all walks of life. Its not just the cooking time, its the shopping time, cost and clean up time. And then factor in how its become un-routine. And most of us dont feel confident in the kitchen, which we havent spent much time in for our entire lives.

I feel very blessed that up until this season I was able to keep myself eating from prepackage foods that I prepackaged (canned, froze, dehydrated). I still buy a majority of my food stuffs, and many of them are mass produced things.

In some cases, like when I bought mass produced salsa recently, it felt like getting something Id never seen before. I could have done an unboxing video for it, like "Okay so they f'n charged me $10?!?! Theres a colourful label on here. The lids a bit different. Its also brightly coloured and branded...." For one thing, it just looked goofy and tacky with all the branding. Made me giggle, like "Guys, its just salsa, settle down!" :lol:. It just seemed so foreign to me after growing and canning my own salsa for a number of years.

And I guess that to most other people, making our own foods feels just as foreign. I totally get that now.

But when its coupled with the sitting around too much part. I dunno. Life is hard. But its also kinda awesome, so I cant imagine anyone skips out on it out of laziness. They must be sad? I dont know her obviously. Speaking more generally.

Stay cool! Its your natural state after all B-):headbang:. F'n bugs!

I don't know that it's laziness as much as worn out and eating shitty food.  That fat in fast food is addictive.  I've cut that kind of fat out of my diet a couple of times before.  Man does it taste like shit when you taste it again but it's so easy to get back on it.  I easily get hooked on sugar these days.  When I find I'm craving either of those, I cut them out of diet again.

It's amazing the shit they tell you on TV.  Women are expected to hold down full time jobs, be mothers and go to college.  We're all supposed to be marathon runners.  If they teach you about cooking it's how to be a chef.  Ingredients they don't sell at your normal grocery store, only use for that recipe and take a long time to prepare.

I don't know how I did what I did as a single parent but I did it.

Woohoo!  Craig went to Arkansas and brought me back a watermelon.  They grow the best ones.

So Marsha calls.  She wants to know how many are coming to the leads stroll and then who and she's going to call some people to see if they are coming and we can set out the benches so people can sit around and talk.  Who's party is this?!  Kevin already risked it for me by telling Alex.  I appreciate the interest folks but shut up, it's my party. :lol:

Edited by cineater

14 hours ago, cineater said:

I don't know that it's laziness as much as worn out and eating shitty food.  That fat in fast food is addictive.  I've cut that kind of fat out of my diet a couple of times before.  Man does it taste like shit when you taste it again but it's so easy to get back on it.  I easily get hooked on sugar these days.  When I find I'm craving either of those, I cut them out of diet again.

It's amazing the shit they tell you on TV.  Women are expected to hold down full time jobs, be mothers and go to college.  We're all supposed to be marathon runners.  If they teach you about cooking it's how to be a chef.  Ingredients they don't sell at your normal grocery store, only use for that recipe and take a long time to prepare.

I don't know how I did what I did as a single parent but I did it.

So true, people are just worn out. Its not right. As we are discussing it leads to serious medical issues. Thats awesome that you are in touch with your food addictions like that - I try to be too.

And I believe that they called those set of unreasonable expectations on women "Womens Liberation" My Fav chefs upcoming cook book is called "Matty Mathesons Home Style Cookery" to address the issue that all this popular chef stuff teaches foods youll never make at home. 

How did you do it! Its incredible! Plus you even made sourdough bread?

14 hours ago, cineater said:

Woohoo!  Craig went to Arkansas and brought me back a watermelon.  They grow the best ones.

So Marsha calls.  She wants to know how many are coming to the leads stroll and then who and she's going to call some people to see if they are coming and we can set out the benches so people can sit around and talk.  Who's party is this?!  Kevin already risked it for me by telling Alex.  I appreciate the interest folks but shut up, it's my party. :lol:

Nice! For some reason I cant think of a watermelon as being local. Seems strange somehow lol. Im glad you got an Arkansa one :headbang:

Why are people always fuckign wth your garden projects and plans!?! :lol:

And it continues. :lol:  This morning's garden news announces workday sessions at the garden.  Er, last week I announced we aren't doing that.  Fortunately nobody reads that after we have the plant sale. 

I forgot, Marsha talked about putting up a shade canopy.  The next thing I know she did it.  Okay but we should have asked the people we were planning to use it if they really wanted that.  She can't slow down from the plant sale.  She needs a project all the time.  I can use that.

Rain!  We are getting a nice soaking rain this morning.  I'm loving this weather pattern.  Just as we start to dry out, we get hit again.

Women's Lib was to turn us into employees and not housewives.  It left us with the duties of a housewife and added work outside of the home.  We got screwed.  It did nothing to make us equal employees or desexualize our image.  There is still a major pay discrepancy between men and women.  While it's illegal to force someone to have sex with you for promotion, it's not illegal to sleep your way to the next job.  What one woman is unwilling to do, another can and get all the benefits of.  And even if you don't and move up in the company, you're still suspected of having slept your way to the top.  I could go on a total rant about sexisum but what's the point.  It's one of those chip away at the stone things.

17 minutes ago, cineater said:

And it continues. :lol:  This morning's garden news announces workday sessions at the garden.  Er, last week I announced we aren't doing that.  Fortunately nobody reads that after we have the plant sale. 

I forgot, Marsha talked about putting up a shade canopy.  The next thing I know she did it.  Okay but we should have asked the people we were planning to use it if they really wanted that.  She can't slow down from the plant sale.  She needs a project all the time.  I can use that.

Rain!  We are getting a nice soaking rain this morning.  I'm loving this weather pattern.  Just as we start to dry out, we get hit again.

Women's Lib was to turn us into employees and not housewives.  It left us with the duties of a housewife and added work outside of the home.  We got screwed.  It did nothing to make us equal employees or desexualize our image.  There is still a major pay discrepancy between men and women.  While it's illegal to force someone to have sex with you for promotion, it's not illegal to sleep your way to the next job.  What one woman is unwilling to do, another can and get all the benefits of.  And even if you don't and move up in the company, you're still suspected of having slept your way to the top.  I could go on a total rant about sexisum but what's the point.  It's one of those chip away at the stone things.

What a headache! :lol: 

Some people just got surprised to find they now have a shade garden? 

We got rain too! Yes, its been a perfect pattern of rain!

I agree with you. Just added more duties without the others disappearing. I got plain bored of dating, finding many women to be rather robotic, likely due to all the demands on them. Dating seemed to just be about checking that off their to do list. 

Humanity is so silly. So I just garden :lol:... Which I guess loops back to the start of my post! Theres no escaping humanity!! :wow:

It really destroyed the family structure.  It took parents out of the home.  Nobody home to supervise the children, cook food.  Parents too tired to do all that when they got home.  Couples career minded instead of family focused, the divorce rate soared.  It really didn't do anybody a favor.

The shade area is just a canopy.  We may put a picnic table under there but we have to do something about mowing there.  It's in the same area the schoolhouse/shade sails were going but no chiggers.  It's an okay solution but it has to be put down to protect it from weather.  It's going to dry rot.  Plus it goes up and down so it's not going to last long.  But get use to it and when it breaks maybe they will consider something more permanent.  We can go through the learn about chiggers with the wind sails or you can just give me the fucking schoolhouse. :lol:  Of course all the free wood we had for that is slowly disappearing so it's going to cost more once we get to it.  It's so much better to go with the person who has the vision then with the people who's short sight is limited to what they feel like doing at the moment.

41 minutes ago, cineater said:

It really destroyed the family structure.  It took parents out of the home.  Nobody home to supervise the children, cook food.  Parents too tired to do all that when they got home.  Couples career minded instead of family focused, the divorce rate soared.  It really didn't do anybody a favor.

The shade area is just a canopy.  We may put a picnic table under there but we have to do something about mowing there.  It's in the same area the schoolhouse/shade sails were going but no chiggers.  It's an okay solution but it has to be put down to protect it from weather.  It's going to dry rot.  Plus it goes up and down so it's not going to last long.  But get use to it and when it breaks maybe they will consider something more permanent.  We can go through the learn about chiggers with the wind sails or you can just give me the fucking schoolhouse. :lol:  Of course all the free wood we had for that is slowly disappearing so it's going to cost more once we get to it.  It's so much better to go with the person who has the vision then with the people who's short sight is limited to what they feel like doing at the moment.

I suppose it doubled the income tax the gov receives. But at the same time now the govs need to provide a bunch of day care. It really is all downside. Family seems to be a privilege that the bosses didnt want the workers to indulge in and instead just focus on money. My ex didnt even know how to do groceries! Didnt know to check expiry dates, selected nearly rotten produce and on weigh-scale purchases shed just fill up a bag and not do the math... like $40 of almonds! They had barely ever even shopped (!) and just couldn't make them selves be in the moment when doing it - always just on the run to the next work presentation. And theyd be mad about any comment, as if the milk NOT being expired was just some sort of silly hobby of mine. So... thanks but no thanks. :lol: 

Sometimes it sounds like youre herding puppies over there! :lol: There was a summer when I did a lot of baby sitting and also hosted some events for adults. The skill set was one and the same! :lol:

50 minutes ago, cineater said:

You have Amazon Prime?  If so, let's start watching My First Farm.  Get off of zoom training and see how real people do it.  At least I think they are real could be fake TV. :lol:

Very cool, thanks! I just opened it up and I know the host from another series on Dream Backyards. I really like him! Monty something.

Im exited to watch this! 

I thought we'd be following one family as they learned but it's one family trying to figure out how to make money with a farm.  Each episode is another family. 

My new GNR shirt got its garden break in today.  It got rained on, sweated in and of course a little bit of dirt.  Held up well to the abuse. :lol:

1 hour ago, cineater said:

I thought we'd be following one family as they learned but it's one family trying to figure out how to make money with a farm.  Each episode is another family. 

My new GNR shirt got its garden break in today.  It got rained on, sweated in and of course a little bit of dirt.  Held up well to the abuse. :lol:

Thats impressive it held up so well! :lol: I hope that dead tie dye will become available for you again, too!

It will be cool to learn different peoples techniques.

I know a few farmers and at least one person in each successful farming household always comes from a farming family. We need more farmers and farm hands to build local food systems. And the people who can afford to get into farming from a different background are usually professionals and aristocrats. And not to stereotype, but they often gets theres faces gnawed off by the workload in the first 1-2 years. Also, small scale farming is increasingly about ones social skills and social media success. And not everyone has that in them ether - to run engaging socials all week as they work the farm, or have a YouTube channel, to then get up early on the weekend as well and start meeting their online fans in person at the market at 5am- 2pm. Then go home and edit that weeks farmers market video for immediate release.

Many folks get into farming to be away from the demands of social interaction. But being a recluse doesnt sell CSA/veggie boxes. Those people are more cut out for factory farming, but those farms are in families hands and also, ideally we move away from that model.

It will be great to see what is working for these folks!

My neighbor is having a little hissy.  Apparently his fiance, we refer to as the psychotic bitch, and he are fighting over the yard.  He's all worked up, cutting shit down and burning it.  Says he's going to rip out all his front landscape and put up a fence.  They might be moving.  It's all secret stuff he don't want to disclose to anybody.  Yeah she's making him crazy, lol.  The more he talked the angry he got.  We'll see how far he gets.  The fence has been suppose to go up for years.  He's pissed off the feral cats get in his car at night but won't roll up his windows.  My cat is attacking the fiance's birds.  Didn't know she was into birds.  Their bird feeder you can't even see from their house and it's right on the line between our houses attracting mice to the area.  He's going to move it to the back.  Hope my cats stay out of their yard.  Hopefully this blows over quickly.  I know he doesn't care about my cats but she's a mean lady.  I have to go in the house a lot of times because the fighting/screaming coming from their house is so loud.  Why he stays with her, I don't know.

Anyway, he's talking about putting in a trench under the fence that he can pour weed killer in twice per year.  It will roll down the trench and spread out 9 inches on either side.  9 inches into my yard?  What happens when it gets to the end?  Where does it go?  I would be upset but it's him.  And if you're moving why do you care if weeds grow under the fence?

Edited by cineater