Gardening

Gracii Guns

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

I’ve worked out that in around 18 months I’ll be in a position to purchase a house. 

So instead of planting anything new in the garden, I’ll just keep on top of what we’ve already got. Which is more than enough work.

What kind of property are you going to look for?  Next year you can start propagating from the plants you have so you can take some with you.

@cineater

That’s a great idea!

We’ll probably go for a house similar to the current place, with a reasonable sized back garden. We might make an offer on where we are — it would be cathartic to be able to reduce the size of that apple tree and completely get rid of the spreading mint. 

Now the whole house smells like garlic!

I always bury the pots I'm wintering over in leaf mulch.  The propagators did that this year but snuggled the pots close together and didn't put leaf mulch in between them.  All the ones on the inside froze and didn't come back.  Plus I think they pulled them out too early.  I don't pull mine out until they start growing through it.  You get into the part of the leaf mulch pile that is decomposing it's hot.

On June 28, 2018 at 3:08 AM, Gracii Guns said:

@cineater

That’s a great idea!

We’ll probably go for a house similar to the current place, with a reasonable sized back garden. We might make an offer on where we are — it would be cathartic to be able to reduce the size of that apple tree and completely get rid of the spreading mint. 

I will be very impressed if you manage to completely get rid of mint. Theres an equal chance that you and your daughter will one day enjoy some mint juleps or mojitos together in the yard. Hopefully you can get rid of it though!

• GNFNR 1

22 hours ago, cineater said:

Now the whole house smells like garlic!

I always bury the pots I'm wintering over in leaf mulch.  The propagators did that this year but snuggled the pots close together and didn't put leaf mulch in between them.  All the ones on the inside froze and didn't come back.  Plus I think they pulled them out too early.  I don't pull mine out until they start growing through it.  You get into the part of the leaf mulch pile that is decomposing it's hot.

If youre up for it, can you please give an over view of the garlic growing process. Im getting lots of conflicting info and plan to put some in this fall. Like some say that most garlic comes with viruses but then I wonder how so many people grow it successfully? And how does it get dried? Does one have to tie it in those knots?

6 hours ago, cineater said:

I'm done making potheads.  The last one looks like a Rastafarian. :lol:

LOL :lol:

Kevin is our garlic person, I'll ask him about viruses.  He grows lots of them and has for years.  You plant a clove in the fall in a place with good drainage and harvest at the end of spring/start if summer.  They're ready when the tops start dying.  We just pulled ours.  To dry them, you leave the tops on, spread them out in a cool dry place with good air circulation to dry for 2 to 4 weeks.  Turn them once in a while if them are lying flat.  The tops will be completely dead by then, cut off the top around 2 inches and put in a mesh bags to finish drying.  People just tie those knots to hang them up to dry.

• Thanks 2

Garden is now 75% free of weeds that are over 2 feet tall. So thats nice. On the other hand it's also 75% weeds that are under 1 foot.

Really need to get my turtle beans and carrots in ASAP! Extreme heat warning means no more digging furrows. Might just throw handfuls of seeds in the general direction of their beds and call it a garden.

I am tired of being soaking wet in my own sweat!  It's one thing to work up a good sweat, whole other thing to work like that for hours.  I'm going to have to check into those clothes that wick away the sweat.  This cotton is not doing it.  It just gets wet and then I'm trying to keep my pants from sliding off and my shirt looks like it's in a wet t-shirt contest.  :lol:

Up to my ass in weeds here too.  The trimmer is broke yet again and it's too wet to get out the big mower so we are weedy and grassy, both things I hate.  I look around and know I'm losing this battle.  We have excessive heat warning here too but it is still cooling off at night.  I can get out there in the mornings and after the sun goes down.

• Haha 1

On June 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM, downliner said:

Loved seeing all the pics over the last few pages :headbang: I'll have to post pics tomorrow as its the middle of the night here, but I've been doing quite a lot in the garden too. Added a few small plants (parsley, strawberry and a few others), started growing a few veg (carrots, spinach), I've planted another tree, and I've weed-killered my front lawn as it was getting like a jungle :)

Hey, did you ever get to take some pics of garden? Was looking forward to seeing them!

We are putting down a hedge on the border between our property and our neighbor. The idea is to dig a 30 meter long ditch using a small digger, and put the 85 plants down in to ditch and then backfill. Our neighbor suggested her brother could do the digging if we hired the machine, apparently he is good at digging or good with plants or something. So okay. He is here now, but seems to have Alzheimers or some other debilitating disorder that makes digging a simple, straight and somewhat deep ditch for putting down plants, an incomprehensible ordeal. He has been working on it for hours now, and the ground is still pretty much flat everywhere, although he has excavated the top soil here and there and piled it all up in a large mound. I have no idea what his action plan is, how he will go from this situation into one with a neat, narrow and suitably deep ditch, but I fear he has none.

• Confused 1

I saw the first tomato today! And lil pea pods shooting out. I plan to do first harvesting on Wednesday - some kale. :dance:

Still not sure if theres quinoa showing because small quinoa plants look like lambs quarter - with sometimes violet tones on top and everything. So I can rip up everything that isnt lambs quarter. And once quince shoots up (if it will) I can make some spanikopita using lambs quarter.

Planted fifty Black Beans (bush type) today. I really didnt prep the beds well. Id prepared them days ago and its been an extreme heat wave since.  Today about 1/2 inch down the soil was firm as can be. Hope they grow. If quinoa and beans fail I have zero protein to harvest. They are known to grow incredibly well, so I think they are the only plant Im doing that might possibly still thrive in those beds. Seemed like a good idea at the time :facepalm:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, soon said:

Hey, did you ever get to take some pics of garden? Was looking forward to seeing them!

I'm honestly to ashamed to show my garden right now :lol:

One addition to my garden today:

vys7ro.jpg

We had a brooding hen, but no rooster, so a neighbour gave us 3 eggs for the hen so she could have chicks :)

Edited by downliner
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, downliner said:

I'm honestly to ashamed to show my garden right now :lol:

One addition to my garden today:

vys7ro.jpg

We had a brooding hen, but no rooster, so a neighbour gave us 3 eggs for the hen so she could have chicks :)

Look at those cuties! Moms happy. Thats just awesome! How many hen do you keep? Id love to one day.

I feel the exact same way about my garden currently, lol. Id have to caption all my pics 'under those weeds is the tiny fennel' :lol:

3 hours ago, soon said:

Look at those cuties! Moms happy. Thats just awesome! How many hen do you keep? Id love to one day.

I feel the exact same way about my garden currently, lol. Id have to caption all my pics 'under those weeds is the tiny fennel' :lol:

We had 4 hens, but I guess we have 7 now :D

I sprayed most of my garden with weedkiller because it was just impossible to get it under control any other way. Now that its all dead I'm planning to get the ground flattened, new lawn seed down, and a few trees planted; but I'll probably do none of that and the giant weeds will come back next summer with a vengeance :lol:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, downliner said:

We had 4 hens, but I guess we have 7 now :D

I sprayed most of my garden with weedkiller because it was just impossible to get it under control any other way. Now that its all dead I'm planning to get the ground flattened, new lawn seed down, and a few trees planted; but I'll probably do none of that and the giant weeds will come back next summer with a vengeance :lol:

Thats very cool! Again that picture is so heartwarming. :) I guess they'll grow up fast. I love the idea of gathering fresh eggs from ones back yard.

Yeah, thats a whole operation you've got there for sure. Most of my weeds have underground networks that require no light to survive in that manner, so they arent going anywhere either. Just need to learn which weeds have something to offer us I guess! 

A layer of cardboard and 4 to 6 inches of leaf mulch, whatever grows in there just pulls right out and, if you get to it when the weeds are little just run a stirrup hoe over it and let them die where they lay.  When you are ready to plant, pull the leaf mulch back, the cardboard has probably deteriorated by then and plant in the soil, push the leaf mulch back leaving a little open space around it so the water can get in easier.  Those underground networks that come up get roundup, die fuckers!  I only have to weed my beds about once a month and then it's a walk by.

That 4 to 6 inches is only the first time.  It packs down to about 2 to 3 inches.  Every few years I'll come through and put on heavy again.  I might put a thin layer on each year if I want to decorate up the bed but usually I just fluff up the top layer a bit.  So easy.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cineater said:

Another word on leaf mulch, on fireworks night, it's a good idea to soak the shit out of it.  I hit it again once things settle down.

HAHAHA! Oh no! Glad you caught it!

Edited by soon