Gardening

Gracii Guns

Cool! Ill try it out! Kinda reminds me about how back in the day in France they would extend the growing season of fruit trees by planting them along stone walls that got good sun. The stones would let off the heat during the night time.

Id love, love, love a greenhouse someday!! But yeah, its cool to have all these fun work arounds too.

• Like 1

I have a couple of hot spots at the garden where the concrete and asphalt keep my plants nice and warm.  In January I already had tulips starting to pop up.

I'm planning on being in that greenhouse most days.  It's just so nice and cosy in there.  I bring a radio and a thermos of coffee and it's better than home except no cats.  We have bails of growing medium so I can seed and transplant all day long.  It's my little fortress of solitude.

• Like 1

Greenhouse is open.  There is a lot of plants in there already.  And way too many people in there, lol.  We are not going to adjust the Ph of the water this year since the plants aren't in there that long and most of them aren't affected by that anyway.  Not a biggie for me.  It was a little test and throw some adjuster in there but okay.

We transplanted and seeded for 5 hours today.  The park system added another park and is requesting all the plants we can give them.  That made my head hurt.

"Please send us a parks worth of plants when you get a chance." That doesnt seem daunting at all I bet!? :lol:

Its making me happy to picture you getting into the dirt - I cant wait. Right now for me gardening is just sorting out plans and hassles, in 5 ft of snow

Walked into the greenhouse this morning and the power was out to the whole right side, no circulation fans on and trays of plants swimming in water.  What you forget about at start up all comes rushing back the moment you step in there, along with the coat.

And the dog has now dug a hole in my seed bed on my side project.  No worries I have tons of seeds in there plus I like that dog.

You just don't have problems when you're doing something you love, you have stuff to do that makes you happy.  Whole change in how you think about stuff.

3 hours ago, soon said:

Silly question: Is adjusting the ph in water interchangeable with adjusting the ph of the soil? Ive used PH amendments in soil, but now Im wondering if the adjusted ph of water would have the same effect - two birds with one stone sort of thing?

Funny you should bring that up.  In discussing if we should continue to worry about the Ph in the water somebody brought up the Ph in the growing medium.  We apparently haven't taken that into consideration.  They are going to conduct some experiments on the geraniums.  More mad science which I'm sure if we researched it somebody already knows the answer.  I don't do finicky plants, if you need that kind of attention I'm not your grower, lol.  If I was doing hydroponics I'd be all about Ph and what else was in my water.

But for you, to me soil is everything.  That's where the plant is and gets everything it needs.  Once you're in ground, water is a supplement when there isn't enough rain.  It's going to go in, be filtered by the soil and runoff in every direction.  The Ph from watering isn't going to affect the plant that much, in my unresearched opinion.  I wouldn't worry about it unless you just can't get your plant to grow and you're considering everything that might be causing it.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, cineater said:

Funny you should bring that up.  In discussing if we should continue to worry about the Ph in the water somebody brought up the Ph in the growing medium.  We apparently haven't taken that into consideration.  They are going to conduct some experiments on the geraniums.  More mad science which I'm sure if we researched it somebody already knows the answer.  I don't do finicky plants, if you need that kind of attention I'm not your grower, lol.  If I was doing hydroponics I'd be all about Ph and what else was in my water.

But for you, to me soil is everything.  That's where the plant is and gets everything it needs.  Once you're in ground, water is a supplement when there isn't enough rain.  It's going to go in, be filtered by the soil and runoff in every direction.  The Ph from watering isn't going to affect the plant that much, in my unresearched opinion.  I wouldn't worry about it unless you just can't get your plant to grow and you're considering everything that might be causing it.

Oh cool timing! Please let me know what the experiments show?!

Ha, Im similar about difficult plants. I first amended the soil for a previous garden with many underproducing Blue Berries - they need acidic soil to produce I guess. But other then that, Im with you, lol!

Cool, I will stick with just soil until your experiments at least.

Congratulations on your Hostas!!!!! :headbang:

Kicked on a couple of the industrial lights in the greenhouse.  We're expecting heavy snow followed by bitter cold.  They'll add an extra layer of heat.  That is if they don't blow the circuits tomorrow when the timers try to kick on everything at once.  We had them all on at one time when they were first installed.  Drew just enough power for the electric company to notice the up tic on the grid and to send somebody out to see what was going on.  It got the "and greenhouse" added to our name with every government monitoring agency out there, lol.

The plants in the greenhouse are looking like shit.  They are getting way too much water in low light with too cool temps.

• 2 weeks later...

Aphids in the greenhouse, darn it.  We broke our rule and allowed perennials to come in because they are little and it's cold.  Fortunately they are on plants that came in yesterday and we only saw eggs.  They get taken outside, sprayed with soapy water, allowed to dry and then come in to the sick table, should be okay.

We got some sun.  The plants are looking great and the greenhouse is full.  A third of them should leave at the cool season plant sale next weekend and then we can bring in what people are caring for at home.  I planted 312 marigolds for the park.  Hope they all come up.

14652200_1.jpg

This plastic tub is my new favorite garden tool.  Has multiple uses from mixing up soil, carrying stuff in, holds water.  Kept asking people what the name of this tub was and where I could find one for home use.  Got some really weird names for it but it's just called an All Purpose Tub. :lol:

7 hours ago, cineater said:

14652200_1.jpg

This plastic tub is my new favorite garden tool.  Has multiple uses from mixing up soil, carrying stuff in, holds water.  Kept asking people what the name of this tub was and where I could find one for home use.  Got some really weird names for it but it's just called an All Purpose Tub. :lol:

Some AP Tubs! I think in the restaurant biz they are called 'bussing trays.'

Yay marigolds, I'm hoping to start some onion seeds today!

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Some AP Tubs! I think in the restaurant biz they are called 'bussing trays.'

Yay marigolds, I'm hoping to start some onion seeds today!

I have a theory that you just do massive drug grows and this horticulturalist thing is just a front and you're like the fuckin' Georgie Jung of Canada :lol:

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I have a theory that you just do massive drug grows and this horticulturalist thing is just a front and you're like the fuckin' Georgie Jung of Canada :lol:

Haha, I wish!! :ph34r: Last year it was cineater growing the hallucinogens!! When Ive raised some mush I become the armchair Carl Jung of Canada :lol:

Nah, getting in the garden soil surrounded by a plethora of different plants, their scents, their beauty, the pollinators and the wind. For me, thats wealth and indulgence like none other.

Now that I think about it, those tubs look like what I used to clean off tables with when I worked in a restaurant.  No wonder I find them so useful.  Good luck with those onions.  Mine looked like shit.  They kept growing out of the soil and falling over.  Plus they were skinny little shits.  They did better after transplanting.

31 minutes ago, cineater said:

Now that I think about it, those tubs look like what I used to clean off tables with when I worked in a restaurant.  No wonder I find them so useful.  Good luck with those onions.  Mine looked like shit.  They kept growing out of the soil and falling over.  Plus they were skinny little shits.  They did better after transplanting.

So, Cine', dear, you know how your my best mate and that?  Sort us out some shrooms eh? :D

Thanks for the head up about the onions. i will try out the technique I learned for potatoes and start with a half filled pot and add more soil as it grows. Hopefully that helps them stay put? Luckily I have a set of deep trays. These are capolinnis so they'll stay small anyways.