Gardening

Gracii Guns

21 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It would have been, sure. I went through a orchid craze some years and then I did work out stats for each plant, noting down how frequently they blossomed and with how many flowers. Then they all got some parasite and my orchid period ended. 

Oh, neat. That sucks about the parasite. I dont know much about orchids, but I think they are difficult to grow? Whats up with them? Vanilla bean comes from a type of orchid, I would love to try that out sometime.

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh, neat. That sucks about the parasite. I dont know much about orchids, but I think they are difficult to grow? Whats up with them? Vanilla bean comes from a type of orchid, I would love to try that out sometime.

Most of my plants were Phalaenopsis sp.,very simple to care for. Blossoms again and again. The parasite was some kind of bug, and they started to spread beyond the plants so they all had to go. 

17 hours ago, cineater said:

Woohoo, great plat sale.  I can't believe it's over, went by in a flash.  $13,000 is the estimated total.  We have the sell off sale next week.  Sold those Toothaches with your tip Soon.  Do the really get a foot across?

Nice, Im glad to hear the sale did so well!! Oh thats cool that my tip made it into your sales pitch :) The seeds I have produce a smaller plant, its rather delicate. With white and yellow flowers. At my next door garden my neighbour grows Toothache too and theres is easily a foot wide with orange and white flowers. We dont share any languages in common but I was able to learn that their plant has all the same effects as my varietal. They cook the leaves in their vietnamese dishes.

17 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Most of my plants were Phalaenopsis sp.,very simple to care for. Blossoms again and again. The parasite was some kind of bug, and they started to spread beyond the plants so they all had to go. 

Cool, thanks, I might have a go at that type next autumn. Yeah, I wouldnt want to tolerate indoor bugs, either. Outdoors I usually squish or drown unwanted bugs, but indoors is a whole different thing.

13 minutes ago, soon said:

Cool, thanks, I might have a go at that type next autumn. Yeah, I wouldnt want to tolerate indoor bugs, either. Outdoors I usually squish or drown unwanted bugs, but indoors is a whole different thing.

It was a small domestic nightmare. The little buggers would abandon the plan and start crawling around the window sill, windows and walls, leaving small trails of slime. I tried fighting them with string soap water that I sprayed on the plants, but they eventually won the war. Then I threw them all out into the unforgiven Norwegian outdoors.

Just googled the fuckers, they are called "scales".

35 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It was a small domestic nightmare. The little buggers would abandon the plan and start crawling around the window sill, windows and walls, leaving small trails of slime. I tried fighting them with string soap water that I sprayed on the plants, but they eventually won the war. Then I threw them all out into the unforgiven Norwegian outdoors.

Just googled the fuckers, they are called "scales".

Yuck - I just looked at pictures of them. They are especially disgusting bugs! Leaving slime all up your walls. Giving me the creepy crawlers just think of that. Having second thoughts about growing orchids!

Ive never dealt with scales before, but they appear to be soft bellied. Other soft bellied bugs can be contained or deterred with tin foil. Because it hurts them to drag their soft bellies over it. Not that it helps now.

• Like 1

This guy returned 8 tomatoes with brown tips blaming us but admits he left them outside because the box store does.  Er, they don't have a greenhouse and we told you they had to be harden off.  All of our plants get inspected the day before the sale so they can issue a sellers license.  Wasn't us and I don't think we are refunding his money.

We're flooding, my one area goes under second.  It was only in the back yard when I got there but it was coming up to the side of the greenhouse when I left.  It's only back flow but if it rains it could be a stronger flow.  It's kind of freaky when we become a peninsula.  We had a den of coyotes living by the creek.  I hope they got the pups out in time.

My daughter is buying a house plus it's her birthday.  I'm getting her all my favorite hand tools and a weed bucket. :lol:  I'm saving the hori hori knife for the fiance's birthday.  He's really into fine knives.

On May 1, 2019 at 3:38 PM, cineater said:

My daughter is buying a house plus it's her birthday.  I'm getting her all my favorite hand tools and a weed bucket. :lol:  I'm saving the hori hori knife for the fiance's birthday.  He's really into fine knives.

Exciting times for the family!

Id never heard of a hori hori knife - I need one of those!!! Not only because I also kinda enjoy knives but that will be perfect to attack my underground weed roots. Im also in the market for a new fixed blade hunting knife with a big gut hook (which I use for making tinder and cutting twine). Something with an ornate wooden handle.

Today Im putting in my straw bale order. Bit of an investment as its intended to smother the weeds over 1250sqft.

Hahaha, there is delivery options, thank goodness! :lol: I wont have to strap one bale at a time to a baby bjorn, lol. 

Im looking into three providers, 1) Higher price bales, delivery included 2) Average cost, plus delivery fee 3) Lowest cost, delivery negotiable by load. So I have to verify the dimension of the various bales and crunch some numbers then see who's best on the wallet.

I usually have a knife on me and no one knows. Sometimes just the smaller blades on my multi tool, other times a bowie strapped to my boot. I took up fishing last year, but I dont know why I carry my fillet knife with me for that... never catch anything. :lol: And once the hori hori is there I have a shed to store it in. :headbang:

I hope that your flooding is subduing. And that it didnt undo any of your hard work!

This whole time my cats have ignored all the plants I was growing.  They weren't sure if this one plant was catmint or something else.  It's catmint.  Both the cats have had their faces in it all day.  Just found it turned over on its side.  :lol:  Guess I'll plant it close to the house.

• Haha 1

You'll have all the neighbourhood cats passed out in your yard! :lol:

I dont give my guy catnip either (at least not yet) but I have some on a shelf for my own use as a sleep aid and bug spray. He somehow zeroed in on it and jumped onto the tiny shelf and sent everything flying. I got the catnip from him but the lemon balm seemed to have a very similar effect. Even in the jar. He laid on his back with the jar above his face, just rolling back and forth and caressing the jar. For a long time. :lol:

• Haha 1

I put my tomato and pepper plants in ground today.  I still have my hanging baskets under the lights and I'm trying to bring up a few more things from seed.  I picked up a few milkweed plants that have monarch caterpillars on them.

• Like 1

My rhubarb plant is getting thinner stalks. I've cleared the area around it, made sure it gets more light. I've read that I need to split the plant to give it more room. Quite scared of this. 

Thinned out the lilac tree and the yukka this weekend. 

• Like 1

I come down off my bluff and into the valley where the garden is and there's the flood.  Yesterday it was coming in but today the two farmhouses are islands.  That means the river is 7 miles out of its bank.  That garden is not in danger unless we get more rain and flash flooding.  We're on a little bit of higher ground.

On May 6, 2019 at 8:36 PM, cineater said:

I put my tomato and pepper plants in ground today.  I still have my hanging baskets under the lights and I'm trying to bring up a few more things from seed.  I picked up a few milkweed plants that have monarch caterpillars on them.

I havent even up-potted my seedlings yet! 

Like, the milkweed comes with caterpillars in cocoons? And they will become butterflies?

As long as we call the same plant milkweed, I forage the pods and cook them like buffalo wings. Got some pickled in the fridge too.

On May 7, 2019 at 4:01 AM, Gracii Guns said:

My rhubarb plant is getting thinner stalks. I've cleared the area around it, made sure it gets more light. I've read that I need to split the plant to give it more room. Quite scared of this. 

Thinned out the lilac tree and the yukka this weekend. 

I never knew they required that kind of intervention. I guess I was lucky to have one for three years that produced well. That is a scary maneuver!

I wish I had a lilac!!! 

17 hours ago, cineater said:

I come down off my bluff and into the valley where the garden is and there's the flood.  Yesterday it was coming in but today the two farmhouses are islands.  That means the river is 7 miles out of its bank.  That garden is not in danger unless we get more rain and flash flooding.  We're on a little bit of higher ground.

Are you thinking about sandbagging your perimeter?

Lots of flooding in my region, but I live on higher grounds. Lots of devastation for many households. I did my part and filled up some sand bags the other morning.

We don't need to sandbag the gardens as it is flash flooding that gets us.  If it were to top/break all the levees protecting us, we wouldn't be able to build a sandbag wall tall or strong enough to hold the water back.  And by that time we wouldn't be able to access the gardens through the flood waters.  The water is coming down a bit but all the farm equipment still lines the higher ground along the roads.  I haven't seen the herds of deer that are out ahead of it but they may be in the meadows on the tops of the bluffs.  I'm kind of avoiding the area.  They have enough shit going on.  We may have a long wet summer ahead of us.

Yesterday I started on my side project, installing a native garden at my friend's house.  For various reasons she cut my design by 3/4.  Today after she's seen just a little bit, she has the vision!  She's all excited, has some ideas of her own and it's game on.  That's good because I have been collecting plants and have more coming.  I may have too many. :lol:

My new native lead is hosting two classes: the difference between a weed and a native, and how to create a mini rain garden at the end of your downspout.  Pretty cool stuff.

• Like 1

:lol:^^^^

Finally up-potted my seedlings. 

And then I received some great news! We had reduced the community garden plots by half so that we could allow more people to join us. However, not everyone was happy with this and we aim for consensus decision making as much as possible. So there was an idea to grandfather some returning gardeners to two plots, maintaining the same size as previous years. I didnt even put my name in the lotto. But, apparently garden volunteers were automatically entered. And I won an additional plot!! :dance:

I guess its not always the squeaky wheel getting the grease. Sometimes good deeds do go unpunished :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Like 1