Gardening

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Up north. Gardening with mosquito hats. 

Especially if gardening in the evening, or do you get the mosquitos all day long where you are in the north?

Ive got a mosquito mesh thing that fits over my hat for in the evening when they are out, here. I also spray them with catnip tea concentrate.

12 hours ago, soon said:

Thats a good point, I hadnt really thought much about materials. Thats strange, isnt it - isnt polyester the one known for not breathing? Oh but right, that makes sense, the absorption.

I wear cotton tank tops, jeans and either a baseball cap, a fishing hat or just shades. And yeah, those tanks get drenched. I dont know if I have any polyester shirts, a nice try to the thrift store may be in order! Cool tip!!

Let me research this a bit.  I'm always half naked at the gardens and other people are completely covered.  I notice the lawn guys also cover up.  

I'm playing a bit.  Tangerine Southernwood is an herb that acts as an insect repellant.  Our plant tried to die out, too much water.  I collected the dry leaves and am running them through the french press.  I'm going to spray the liquid around my patio and see if it keeps the mosquitoes away.  I'm a little reluctant to put it on my skin as I might be allergic to it.  And the mixture is almost black in color.  Don't need any more help staining up my clothes.

I'm finding wear cotton and not polyester is recommended for the heat but they are talking normal clothes not working out in the heat.  I had on the sun protection clothing so maybe that was the difference.  What this guy wore was made of polyester like my product.  I don't want to pay $75 for a pair of pants though.  https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/safety-workwear/comfortable-work-wear-that-will-keep-you-cooler-in-the-sun_o

15 hours ago, soon said:

Especially if gardening in the evening, or do you get the mosquitos all day long where you are in the north?

All day long, but more in the evenings. 

But not much this year. One year we drove here we couldn't read the letters on the car's number plate when we arrived, because of the layers of mosquito carcasses. 

11 hours ago, cineater said:

I'm playing a bit.  Tangerine Southernwood is an herb that acts as an insect repellant.  Our plant tried to die out, too much water.  I collected the dry leaves and am running them through the french press.  I'm going to spray the liquid around my patio and see if it keeps the mosquitoes away.  I'm a little reluctant to put it on my skin as I might be allergic to it.  And the mixture is almost black in color.  Don't need any more help staining up my clothes.

Awesome idea! Good catch before the plant was just wasted!! My catnip is starting to shoot up and then I will do the same with it.

Yeah, good to be cautious. For me, I dab the 'soft' spot on the underside of the wrist with either the solution or the dried herb itself. I wait 5 minutes to see about any redness, itch, irritation or other symptoms.

11 hours ago, cineater said:

I'm finding wear cotton and not polyester is recommended for the heat but they are talking normal clothes not working out in the heat.  I had on the sun protection clothing so maybe that was the difference.  What this guy wore was made of polyester like my product.  I don't want to pay $75 for a pair of pants though.  https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/safety-workwear/comfortable-work-wear-that-will-keep-you-cooler-in-the-sun_o

Thanks for this!!! High tech pants. I know Ive got too much sun already this year, this is a very good option for me. We have deer ticks and and even black widows in this region so shorts are not an option for me. These pants look and sound perfect. I better set up a lemonade stand and crack open the piggy bank.

What is the type of sun protection clothing that you where? 

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

All day long, but more in the evenings. 

But not much this year. One year we drove here we couldn't read the letters on the car's number plate when we arrived, because of the layers of mosquito carcasses. 

Yikes! Glad its not so much this season. Thats one good thing for me is that they arent around my garden during the day time and thats when I work it.

Oh, is your garden at your summer home/cottage? Like, the garden you've shared pics of?

The Southernwood smelled really pretty being sprayed around.  I sprayed my left arm.  Didn't take long and I could taste it and got stuffy on my right side.  I'm one of those people who can taste scents when you put them on the skin.  This one has a slight metal taste to it, couldn't recognize the other taste but at least it wasn't soap.  I'm not seeing mosquitoes but my neighbor fogged for the 4th and that always drifts over to my yard, hence the damage to my pepper plant leaves. 

I planted ~15 new trees in my garden earlier this year then went travelling for 3 weeks. Came home to find my trees being suffocated by 4 foot high weeds :fuckyou: I was raging lol, managed to get it back under control so just need to keep on top of the maintenance for the rest of the summer.

14 hours ago, cineater said:

The Southernwood smelled really pretty being sprayed around.  I sprayed my left arm.  Didn't take long and I could taste it and got stuffy on my right side.  I'm one of those people who can taste scents when you put them on the skin.  This one has a slight metal taste to it, couldn't recognize the other taste but at least it wasn't soap.  I'm not seeing mosquitoes but my neighbor fogged for the 4th and that always drifts over to my yard, hence the damage to my pepper plant leaves. 

You can taste scents when they're on your skin? Thats incredible! Ive never heard of that. Like a super power!

Sorry that you had that reaction :( Maybe not a full spray to test it out? Awesome that it seems to be repelling them.

Your neighbourhood sure does put on a serious 4th celebration!!

All my fill in cabbage has germinated. Full lush garden here I come!!

10 hours ago, downliner said:

I planted ~15 new trees in my garden earlier this year then went travelling for 3 weeks. Came home to find my trees being suffocated by 4 foot high weeds :fuckyou: I was raging lol, managed to get it back under control so just need to keep on top of the maintenance for the rest of the summer.

Sounds frustrating!!! Planting 15 trees is no small feet. Hopefully the little bit of stress they received just toughened them up a bit!

Hey, are these trees you future wood-pizza-oven wood? I remember you mentioning about that. 

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Sounds frustrating!!! Planting 15 trees is no small feet. Hopefully the little bit of stress they received just toughened them up a bit!

Hey, are these trees you future wood-pizza-oven wood? I remember you mentioning about that. 

I don't think I'd have the heart to ever chop them down if they do grow tall :) Haven't bought my pizza oven yet but I still want one though. Just need to find the energy to order one and then build it :lol:

7 minutes ago, downliner said:

I don't think I'd have the heart to ever chop them down if they do grow tall :) Haven't bought my pizza oven yet but I still want one though. Just need to find the energy to order one and then build it :lol:

Oh, that makes sense to let em grow. I always thought it was very special when my Grampa could point out large tress that he'd planted. Theres something to that.

Hahaha, thats just the thing isnt it - energy? For me in gardening I always feel like I dont really eat much of it fresh from the garden, I eat the preserves because I dont have enough energy to eat and cook while Im working away.

I did make some pizzas with oregano, basil and chives from the garden. You keeping at your pizza making game?

1 hour ago, soon said:

You can taste scents when they're on your skin? Thats incredible! Ive never heard of that. Like a super power!

Sorry that you had that reaction :( Maybe not a full spray to test it out? Awesome that it seems to be repelling them.

Your neighbourhood sure does put on a serious 4th celebration!!

All my fill in cabbage has germinated. Full lush garden here I come!!

It's a weird superpower!  I don't understand how it works.  If I smell flora it just stops me up but if I try to wear perfumes sometimes they taste like soap and sometimes like metals (musk scents).  There's a few other tastes, bitter, I can't identify.  It's something that happen after pregnancy.  I haven't worn perfume and if trapped in small places with people who have on strong scents, I'm popping pills and having to leave.

Yeah, they blow up the hood.  We use to do potlucks but it's too hot to eat so that kind of fell by the wayside.  I was all stopped up from that camile and it was really humid this year so I just watched from the house occasionally.  They were out there for 3 hours!

1 hour ago, cineater said:

It's a weird superpower!  I don't understand how it works.  If I smell flora it just stops me up but if I try to wear perfumes sometimes they taste like soap and sometimes like metals (musk scents).  There's a few other tastes, bitter, I can't identify.  It's something that happen after pregnancy.  I haven't worn perfume and if trapped in small places with people who have on strong scents, I'm popping pills and having to leave.

Yeah, they blow up the hood.  We use to do potlucks but it's too hot to eat so that kind of fell by the wayside.  I was all stopped up from that camile and it was really humid this year so I just watched from the house occasionally.  They were out there for 3 hours!

Bonkers! Must be cool?! A Mamma super power!

When you mention things tasting of soap it reminds me of this fascinating science about how some people dont like the taste of cilantro (leaves) because to them it tastes like soap. It once tasted as soap to me but now it doesnt and I love cilantro. I wonder how our bodies get changed in these ways to taste things differently?

Sounds like a hoot at your place for the celebrations. Wish you felt more up for it. Next year!!

6 hours ago, soon said:

I did make some pizzas with oregano, basil and chives from the garden. You keeping at your pizza making game?

I've not made any in a while actually. I do love homemade pizza but it's easier to just buy a premade one, usually works out cheaper too as theres so many ingredients to buy :lol: When I get my own pizza oven I'll definitely make more of my own.

If the weather is nice tomorrow Im planning to get out in the garden for the day. I'll have to take some before and after photos :D

• GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, downliner said:

I've not made any in a while actually. I do love homemade pizza but it's easier to just buy a premade one, usually works out cheaper too as theres so many ingredients to buy :lol: When I get my own pizza oven I'll definitely make more of my own.

Its true about the expense! I buy a huge bag of sliced pepperoni when its on sale along with onion, green pepper. And I stock up on Kraft 'Pizza Mozzarella' when its on sale. I shred the cheese, dice the veg and freeze "pizza kits" with the right proportion of each ingredient. Not what Id make to please a guest, but Im more than happy with the taste and quality just for my meals. And Im lucky as someone who grows and cans tomatoes because the skins are removed during canning. I dehydrate the skins, powder them and they are ready to be mixed with water and turned into tomato paste. Which I use as the base of my sauce.

12 hours ago, downliner said:

If the weather is nice tomorrow Im planning to get out in the garden for the day. I'll have to take some before and after photos :D

Before and after pics of you or the garden? :lol:

Hope its nice out and you enjoy your garden. looking forward to some pics!

4 hours ago, soon said:

Before and after pics of you or the garden? :lol:

Hope its nice out and you enjoy your garden. looking forward to some pics!

:lol:

I got as far as sitting in my garden and enjoying a coffee, didn't actually get around to doing any work on it ^_^ Did snap a few pics though so welcome to the jungle...

IMG-20190713-165457333-BURST000-COVER-TO

Some snaps of the various wildflowers, trees I planted and the huge weeds :D

IMG-20190713-165402441.jpg IMG-20190713-165418739.jpg IMG-20190713-165643845.jpg IMG-20190713-165722033.jpg IMG-20190713-165747881.jpg IMG-20190713-165801668.jpg IMG-20190713-165827248.jpg

I've no idea really what any of them are. Lots of nice colours though, and we attract tons of birds, bees and insects :)

Edited by downliner
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

34 minutes ago, downliner said:

:lol:

I got as far as sitting in my garden and enjoying a coffee, didn't actually get around to doing any work on it ^_^ Did snap a few pics though so welcome to the jungle...

IMG-20190713-165457333-BURST000-COVER-TO

Some snaps of the various wildflowers, trees I planted and the huge weeds :D

IMG-20190713-165402441.jpg IMG-20190713-165418739.jpg IMG-20190713-165643845.jpg IMG-20190713-165722033.jpg IMG-20190713-165747881.jpg IMG-20190713-165801668.jpg IMG-20190713-165827248.jpg

I've no idea really what any of them are. Lots of nice colours though, and we attract tons of birds, bees and insects :)

"... we are the people that can grow, every kind of weed" :lol: Beautiful land you've got. Absolutely beautiful. If I was you Id sit and and enjoy it too! 

Great pics, such a variety of wildflowers! Those are some red clovers in the first pic (maybe you knew that one). Yeah, bees love them. They are also edible/consumable. They are celebrated for their medicinal potential and are often dried and consumed as tea. I tossed some fresh ones into a home-brew recipe once... meh, theres much better wildflowers for that, lol. That bird house is very striking. Look at those wee trees!! :headbang:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

"... we are the people that can grow, every kind of weed" :lol: Beautiful land you've got. Absolutely beautiful. If I was you Id sit and and enjoy it too! 

Great pics, such a variety of wildflowers! Those are some red clovers in the first pic (maybe you knew that one). Yeah, bees love them. They are also edible/consumable. They are celebrated for their medicinal potential and are often dried and consumed as tea. I tossed some fresh ones into a home-brew recipe once... meh, theres much better wildflowers for that, lol. That bird house is very striking. Look at those wee trees!! :headbang:

Im not sure Im brave enough to try eating anything foraged wild. Growing my own veg is one thing, but don't you have to be careful when it comes to foraging? You definitely seem to know a lot more about this kind of thing than I do :)

39 minutes ago, cineater said:

I wouldn't weed that.  It's gorgeous just as it is.  Don't know if he has chiggers but that's what would be waiting for me if that was here. 

I've never heard of chiggers and don't recognise them from Googling. We do get ticks up here though which are horrible little things and look similiar :thumbsdown:

10 hours ago, downliner said:

Im not sure Im brave enough to try eating anything foraged wild. Growing my own veg is one thing, but don't you have to be careful when it comes to foraging? You definitely seem to know a lot more about this kind of thing than I do :)

We do have to be careful and informed for sure. Being in the countryside, away from the highway, on land that you would eat veggies from is a great start safety wise!! You've got a foragers paradise there! But, yeah, its just not for everyone. Im too scared to try mushrooming. 

You lot actually introduced Dandelions to North America as a very prolific food source early in colonization. And I do forage them to make salad, fritters, beer, juice, etc. One of my favourite foods is foraged, on some country highways theres permanent trailers at the side of the road. Like one every km. People live there during blue berry season. They forage wild berries and make pies to sell by the road side! Its an institution. :drool:

Geek details:

Spoiler

We study monographs like this before we head out

QADo8Lf.png

And we make laminated monographs with the actual dried plants when possible too, we'd take these into the field thereafter to help with ID.

xnUfRvB.jpg

And some of us foragers will find our 'spots' with certain plants that we return to year after year to stock up on them and care for them. And one might document those visits like so

woOEua2.jpg