Gardening

Gracii Guns

The salsa garden was last year's project and it went well.  They put up a sign with a recipe on it.  This year's project was to put on a second story on the lasagna bed.  Came out really cute and educational.  They put a big basket in the middle of the bed and demonstrated how to build a lasagna bed. The second story adds a whole other dimension to the flatbed.

Cool, locked it in.  My friend is going to present Superstitions.  It's a class on mourning practices and superstitions of long ago.  She talks a lot about how herbs were used and natural dyes, stuff like that.  One of the most humorous classes I've attended.  A frequent phrase throughout the class is "you're going to die".  It's too hot to garden.  I'm sponsoring a little bit of fun.

I'm also developing a volunteer/learn while you garden program and partnering with the library to present topics in gardening classes.  The social media team is also my idea but I'm looking for someone to take leadership of that group.  I've kind of been putting things in place for that:  the pantry diary, little blurbs from each garden and have people writing garden articles.  Everything is to meet our mission of gardening public education.  We'll see if any of that takes off.  And for the moment, the gardens are looking great!  The grass is even fucking mowed (the bain of my existence).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cineater said:

My sunflowers are making a come back.  The deer came along and ate the top off of everyone of them.  But I walked by today and they are sending off side shoots.

Sucks to have losses like that, but to me its so cool to see the plants keep doing their thing just reaching for the sun!!

My pattypan never has two flowers at the same time so Im concerned I wont be able to hand pollenate and it wont produce.

6 hours ago, soon said:

Sucks to have losses like that, but to me its so cool to see the plants keep doing their thing just reaching for the sun!!

My pattypan never has two flowers at the same time so Im concerned I wont be able to hand pollenate and it wont produce.

Anybody else growing it that you could borrow some pollen from?  Maybe try pollen from another squash type or anybody in the cucurbits family?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cineater said:

Anybody else growing it that you could borrow some pollen from?  Maybe try pollen from another squash type or anybody in the cucurbits family?

Oh, wow! Id have never of thought about using a similar type squash or from the family! Thanks!! Im not aware of any other pattypan but theres certainly tons of Zucchini and such.

Whats the etiquette in asking for someone elses pollen? lol. Nah, Im sure there will be many happy to swap some pollen.

3 hours ago, soon said:

Oh, wow! Id have never of thought about using a similar type squash or from the family! Thanks!! Im not aware of any other pattypan but theres certainly tons of Zucchini and such.

Whats the etiquette in asking for someone elses pollen? lol. Nah, Im sure there will be many happy to swap some pollen.

Read this:

The female flowers of each crop can be fertilized only by pollen from male flowers of the same species. Cross pollination, however, can occur between varieties within a species. Cross pollination can be seen in the squashes and pumpkins. Summer squash, pumpkins, gourds, and some types of winter squash belong to the same plant species Cucurbita pepo. All species members may cross with one another. Thus, an acorn squash will cross pollinate with a zucchini or a miniature gourd. However, muskmelon (Cucumis melo) and cucumbers (Cucumis sativus) belong to different species and will not cross with each other or members of the Cucurbita genus.

Cucurbita pepo is a cultivated plant of the genus Cucurbita. It yields varieties of winter squash and pumpkin, but the most widespread varieties belong to the subspecies Cucurbita pepo subsp. pepo, called summer squash.[2]

zucchini belongs to the species

Edited by cineater

You should be able to use pollen from the zucchini.

Okay we're into weird plant sex science. :lol: 

We're about to get smacked by two colliding thunderstorms.  One coming down from the north and one coming in from the southwest.  I'm sitting in the bullseye.  I will take the rain but move that intersection!

13 hours ago, cineater said:

You should be able to use pollen from the zucchini.

Okay we're into weird plant sex science. :lol: 

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the info though!!

13 hours ago, cineater said:

We're about to get smacked by two colliding thunderstorms.  One coming down from the north and one coming in from the southwest.  I'm sitting in the bullseye.  I will take the rain but move that intersection!

9 hours ago, cineater said:

That was cool!  Got hit with the wind and a minute later it came from the other direction.  Tried to blow over my tomato plant.  The whole thing ended with a double rainbow.

Yikes!!!! Hope all the gardens are intact! Glad you made it through and a double rainbow!!

We had a very large power line pole thing fall during a storm last week. Theyre still fixing it. Its the same size as the two now light towers we have in the garden. Now that would suck if those go down and take the gardens with em!

Heats back here too. Currently I'm in that sweet spot were the weeding is up to date and I just have to turn on the sprinkler at one garden. At the other garden I just harvest a bit of herbs and flowers to dry each day. Will have to harvest more kale too - its so bushy that its overshadowing my cabbage fill-ins.

lol, my one kales looks like little palm trees after it's been harvested.  I'm caught up too for the moment.  Ran down to mom's to trim up her bushes.  Somebody gave me a stack of Mother Earth News.  I'm going to stay in from the heat and thumb through these.  Love that magazine.

I think I have that same variety of kale, lol!! Nice to be caught up, eh?!?! Oh nice, I read Mother Earth News online too. Im on the list serve. Great reads!

2 hours ago, cineater said:

Ran down to mom's to trim up her bushes.

ZpskkO6.gif

Luckily we keep it wholesome in the gardening thread :lol::smiley-confused2:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, soon said:

I think I have that same variety of kale, lol!! Nice to be caught up, eh?!?! Oh nice, I read Mother Earth News online too. Im on the list serve. Great reads!

ZpskkO6.gif

Luckily we keep it wholesome in the gardening thread :lol::smiley-confused2:

Yeah I just couldn't come up with a better word at the time.  :lol: 

Shrubbery, now it comes to me.

I did the tiger thing and napped through the heat of the day.  Tomorrow morning I'm doing yoga in the park.  Hopefully it's not to hot.

4 minutes ago, cineater said:

Yeah I just couldn't come up with a better word at the time.  :lol: 

Shrubbery, now it comes to me.

I did the tiger thing and napped through the heat of the day.  Tomorrow morning I'm doing yoga in the park.  Hopefully it's not to hot.

HAHAHA! I feel like I could've riffed on "shrubbery" too, tbh, because Im just that juvenile :lol:

Sounds nice, sleeping through the heat. Hot yoga is a type of yoga too, I think. Yoga is one thing that feels like too much effort for me. I might try out just carrying around the mat sometimes and see where that gets me. I hope its a nice time.

Not doing hot yoga.  I want cool yoga.  Yoga is pretty easy.  It's just balance and flexibility.  Both improve with practice.  The trick to balance is to pick a spot and look there.  Don't look around.  But they bailed on yoga for tomorrow due to the heat.

Edited by cineater

Oh thats a good tip for yoga. Glad youre not out their in this heat. It was smouldering all night and now at 7am its too hot to move to make coffee... or drink it with out ice.

So not the best day for me to plan a pot roast :facepalm: I have it marinating in rice vinegar, dried herbs and fresh herbs - all from the garden. Winter savoury, thyme, lemon thyme, genovese basil, holy basil, rosemary, chives, garlic chives, greek oregano. Ill add a bit more fresh thyme to the onion, potato and carrots.

NMySvfvh.jpg

Worst day for a roast ever!! :lol: Oh well, at least my cats being nice to me again, hoping that he might get some.

Thats a good idea. Wish I were a night owl. I'll be sleeping at midnight. Its in the fridge now, but with all those fresh herbs and just a little bit of vinegar Im not sure about keeping it over night without cooking it?

I could do it in the crock pot but the crust isnt as appealing imho. I cant wait until I get a solar oven big enough to do a roast!!

Do you even have AC up there?  

I picked up a Blue Mist and a very large Blazing Prairie Star, both natives.  The Prairie Star looks like a purple cattail, so cool.  My side project is so happy with her native beds she wants to increase them.  We've been thinning out the garden's native beds so I've been collecting some really mature plants.  They're planted in the small tree size containers.  They make a nice statement right off the bat but then again I'm going to have to dig a pretty big hole to plant them. :lol: