Gardening

Gracii Guns

14 hours ago, soon said:

How long are you putting the fan on them for?

I don't trust my fan when I'm not here so it's on at night when I'm home.  Directly on the plant I'm only doing it until they look strong, a couple of nights but I like to have air circulation in the room.  In the greenhouse we have lots of air circulation 24/7.  It helps with the humidity, disease control and keeps little white flies from making the place their own.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That is one of few things I remember from a botany course I took, plants grow better with a little spanking. 

Er, I think that was in reference to the pat on the bottom of the pot when you plant them to lightly pack the soil.  I think you might have been daydreaming a little bit in that class. :) 

On ‎17‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 4:49 AM, cineater said:

Er, I think that was in reference to the pat on the bottom of the pot when you plant them to lightly pack the soil.  I think you might have been daydreaming a little bit in that class. :) 

It was from a controlled study in growth houses where half of the plants grew upon without any mechanical disturbances while the other half received a push ever day to simulate the effect of wind, the latter plants grew better. At least that's how I remember it. 

You were paying attention.  The one class I took, I got a 99 percent.  Too late I discovered what I wanted to do.  By that time I just wanted to get a degree and get the fuck out of there.

It's also good to let your uncovered water sit 24 hours to gas it off.  And we have to PH down because the levels are so high.  Takes care of that white crusty stuff you see on top of your soil.  We're getting the water barrels set up today in the greenhouse.  It's opening next Sunday.  Beauty is a full greenhouse.  

Everybody out the door.  They've gone out for hardening off, of course they have to come back in. :) They go up to the hoop house next week and I can begin growing warm season stuff.  Love growing stuff, just so cool.   

We also have a hoop house.  It just has plastic over it.  It's where we put the perennials to have them up and going for the plant sale.  During the summer the plastic comes off and a shade cloth goes over it and we start loading it up with the plants we will grow for the following year's sale.  I'm going to try some Montauk Daisies again.  The last time I did that, I got the math wrong and ended up with 144 of them.  They told me not to worry, they wouldn't all live.  They did.  I ended up giving 90 of them to the city and now they can be seen all over town.

Edited by cineater
  • Like 2

My new paper making kit arrived.  I was finding it difficult to get a good surface on my corn husk paper using my homemade rig. I have Who Gets Kissed husks which are easier, but I have way more Bloody Butcher which is tough. Will use some of the corn husk paper to gather some cremini mushroom spores onto.  The rest will use flowers and twigs to write out grouchy memes, lol

hN2woWgh.jpg

The cat is Beaker and he was especially interested in the info he was gathering from this new delivery :lol:.  I grew some sweet corn and some dent corn.  I know that for many gardeners corn isnt seen as a productive use of space and nutrients, but I find a lot of food and non food applications from it - 'nose to tail' style. The interior of the dent corn shafts is prime tinder for instance.  Do you ever grow any corn?

A cheaters way to gather cremini spores involves paper, which then goes into the substrate eventually.  So I like to use my homemade, organic, no additives paper for that.  (the simplified and non-sterile way i do it is a practice that real mushroom folks dont suggest, but its worked fine for me so far)

Im hoping to improve my mushrooms skills and get a proper rig in place in time for serious production next winter.

We don't do corn because there is so much of it around here but using all its parts sounds interesting.  All gardens need cats. :)

We opened the greenhouse today.  Heater and fans all in working order.  The heater kicks on at 55 because below 50 it's too cold.  The fans are at 85 because plants quit growing at that temp.  Filled the water barrels and adjusted the PH.  Damn that water is cold!  The plants are still at seedling stage so it's a quarter of the fertilizer they would normally get. Plants start coming into tomorrow.  I need the marigolds blooming by 4/27 for the sale so I started the first group today.  Love this.

• Like 1

I belong to the Master Gardeners.  We support ourselves through plant sales and workshops.  We raised enough money to purchase a used greenhouse about 5 years ago.  Amy is the greenhouse lead, the brains, and I am the assistant, the labor. :)  Our first sale is March 27th when the cool season crops go out.  The big sale, around 7,000 plants, is April 27th.  It's annuals and perennials. 

Until the evening watering crew has to be activated, I stop by every night and drop the windows so we don't heat the neighborhood.  Check to make sure nobody is thirsty and reorganize what they've messed up. :)  I run the Sunday morning crew.  I'm retiring in mid-March so I'll be there a lot more after that.  Once the sales end, I start propagating plants for the following year in there and do the dishes (wash up the returned containers and shit we've used).  Can't be in the greenhouse after May, it's just too hot, so what we propagate goes to the little hoop house that holds the perennials over winter but is covered in shade cloth during the summer.  And we have propagation beds for in ground stuff which Donna is the lead on.

But what we really have is about an acre, maybe more, of demonstration gardens.  I have the lead on the foundation garden.  It's about 11 beds of different plants, mostly what didn't sell at the sale goes in those.  Everything that goes around the building, greenhouse, amendment binds, pergola (when it's neglected) and all the containers.  I have the most land. :)  Mostly because they stuck me with it and the rest I stole.  I signed up for Wednesday morning in the pantry garden.  All the produce we grow goes to a food pantry and we do around a ton each year with them.  We are their only source of fresh produce.

Here's our gardens:  https://www.stcharlescountymastergardeners.com/our-demo-garden  Click on each to see them.  The Bird Seed garden was my idea and one created by my interns.  One of them, Rebeka, took it over and is wonderful.  Real proud of that idea but she gets all the credit for taking it to what it is today.  Fucking daylillie garden takes me 16 hours to weed if I have no help and it sits in full sun right next to the bee hives who are going native and get pissed off if you get to too close.  Look fuckers I'm armed with a hose and you can your little asses back in the hive!  Love the bees but I'm tried of getting stung.

• Like 1

On February 27, 2018 at 9:57 PM, cineater said:

I belong to the Master Gardeners.  We support ourselves through plant sales and workshops.  We raised enough money to purchase a used greenhouse about 5 years ago.  Amy is the greenhouse lead, the brains, and I am the assistant, the labor. :)  Our first sale is March 27th when the cool season crops go out.  The big sale, around 7,000 plants, is April 27th.  It's annuals and perennials. 

Until the evening watering crew has to be activated, I stop by every night and drop the windows so we don't heat the neighborhood.  Check to make sure nobody is thirsty and reorganize what they've messed up. :)  I run the Sunday morning crew.  I'm retiring in mid-March so I'll be there a lot more after that.  Once the sales end, I start propagating plants for the following year in there and do the dishes (wash up the returned containers and shit we've used).  Can't be in the greenhouse after May, it's just too hot, so what we propagate goes to the little hoop house that holds the perennials over winter but is covered in shade cloth during the summer.  And we have propagation beds for in ground stuff which Donna is the lead on.

But what we really have is about an acre, maybe more, of demonstration gardens.  I have the lead on the foundation garden.  It's about 11 beds of different plants, mostly what didn't sell at the sale goes in those.  Everything that goes around the building, greenhouse, amendment binds, pergola (when it's neglected) and all the containers.  I have the most land. :)  Mostly because they stuck me with it and the rest I stole.  I signed up for Wednesday morning in the pantry garden.  All the produce we grow goes to a food pantry and we do around a ton each year with them.  We are their only source of fresh produce.

Here's our gardens:  https://www.stcharlescountymastergardeners.com/our-demo-garden  Click on each to see them.  The Bird Seed garden was my idea and one created by my interns.  One of them, Rebeka, took it over and is wonderful.  Real proud of that idea but she gets all the credit for taking it to what it is today.  Fucking daylillie garden takes me 16 hours to weed if I have no help and it sits in full sun right next to the bee hives who are going native and get pissed off if you get to too close.  Look fuckers I'm armed with a hose and you can your little asses back in the hive!  Love the bees but I'm tried of getting stung.

That sounds incredible!  Id love to participate in something like this. Not that I have the skills. Im not sure that the Master Gardeners around here have this, but am looking into it.  I cannot imagine the undertaking of having a hard deadline like a public plant sale.  Thats way beyond me.

Thats so cool about the pantry garden.  That fresh produce makes a huge difference in peoples lives!

All these pics are so stunning.  I really enjoy your handy work in the Foundation garden.  Must be nice to have all that space.  I wish I knew flowers better.  I do think I spotted some Wooly Lambs Ear?  Which I know as natures toilet paper.  

Right, with all those flowers you must get so many more bees then a veggie garden?  Stay safe and dont swat em too hard! We need every last one :lol:

Everyone should take a peek at those pictures, just beautiful stuff.

PS: Congrats on your retirement!

Oh shit, stopped by the greenhouse and observed a clear violation of fire code.  I don't think we ever checked into if we have to comply with fire code and I know we don't, several missing required items.  Odds of us getting caught are very low but if we did, it could put us out of business if the fire marshall slaps a do not enter sticker on a full greenhouse.

On 02/03/2018 at 5:31 PM, Len Cnut said:

Mygnr succumbs to middle age :lol:

I do quite like how Anything Goes has changed over the years, as the young 'uns have gotten older. I used to start threads such as "can you remove the wrapper from a Starburst without using your hands?" now I'm all about domestic bliss.  

And I'm pretty sure the Sex Thread Era happened when most of us were virgins. :lol:

• Haha 1

Millennials love the gardening too.  For us its a very lazy, small scale, yet equally romanticized version of the Back to the Landers of the 70's.  But instead of settling vast acres, we're more like Backyard to the Landers: Our parents backyards. We need somewhere we can charge our phones... because with out them we don't know how to garden. :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, soon said:

Millennials love the gardening too.  For us its a very lazy, small scale, yet equally romanticized version of the Back to the Landers of the 70's.  But instead of settling vast acres, we're more like Backyard to the Landers: Our parents backyards. We need somewhere we can charge our phones... because with out them we don't know how to garden. :lol:

You're spot on, research shows that millennials are more interested in gardening than their parents generation. I'm actually working on a marketing campaign with the aim of getting more young people into horticultural careers. 

I have loads of seeds to plant, but haven't yet due to the snow. 

5 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

You're spot on, research shows that millennials are more interested in gardening than their parents generation. I'm actually working on a marketing campaign with the aim of getting more young people into horticultural careers. 

I have loads of seeds to plant, but haven't yet due to the snow. 

That sounds like a really fun project to be part of!  I would love to jump into the trade one day.

Im getting my seed supply organized and cannot wait to get the season underway.  Silliest choice for this year: quinoa.  Will be such a hassle to harvest the thousands of tiny grains. 

How is your cauliflower?

• Like 1

On 06/03/2018 at 5:50 PM, soon said:

That sounds like a really fun project to be part of!  I would love to jump into the trade one day.

Im getting my seed supply organized and cannot wait to get the season underway.  Silliest choice for this year: quinoa.  Will be such a hassle to harvest the thousands of tiny grains. 

How is your cauliflower?

Yep, it is. The project aims to expose all the kinds of horti jobs there are. Domestic gardeners are really the tip of the iceberg. This is the project, watch the video at the bottom of the page. http://abelldesign.co.uk/2018/01/12/greatest-career/

I want to join a gardening club, but my local one is 100% pensioners. 

My cauliflower is germinating (bottom), as is my coriander (top). I think the coriander is all growing on one side of the tray because the cat knocked it over and all the seeds fell to one side. 

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_9379.JPG

Edited by Gracii Guns