Gardening

Gracii Guns

10 hours ago, cineater said:

Forgot to mention, the guy drawing up the plans for the outdoor classroom is a retired Boeing engineer.  It may fly, lol.

HAHA, Gives a whole new meaning to 'earth ship!'    (those hippy homes made out of tires and bottles)

What an exciting project. And also what an amazing gift to the community. For years and years to come!

We're enjoying some cool days here too!!

4 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Rubber welly boots

I have some of those.  I call them milk boots for use in dairy farming.

So my friend gives me this plate that is so corroded you can't tell it's copper.  Brasso can't even remove the black stuff.  Soaked it in vinegar water because I don't have a pot big enough to boil it in.  The copper started showing through right away.  After a while that quit working but I also ran out of vinegar.  Used lemon juice and baking soda which completely exposed the copper the rest of the way.  But I'm not sure if I'm done.  The copper is a dull color and I can see shiny copper in a few of the scratches.  Anybody know if I should be working off another layer?

Marsha told me all I had to do was knock the major dirt off the pots and run them through bleach water.  Today she looked at them and decided that wasn't good enough and they needed to be hand washed!  Then she began putting the pots that aren't ours in the recycling bags.  I washed those so we could offer those to our members for home growing and for use in the parks but she thinks we have too many.  Okay so all that work I did was either not needed or wrong. :facepalm:

Got to the garden this morning right as the rain ended.  When nobody showed up for the work session after an hour, I started to wrap my shit up to leave.  5 more minutes and I would have been out of there but here they came. :facepalm:  

9 hours ago, cineater said:

Marsha told me all I had to do was knock the major dirt off the pots and run them through bleach water.  Today she looked at them and decided that wasn't good enough and they needed to be hand washed!  Then she began putting the pots that aren't ours in the recycling bags.  I washed those so we could offer those to our members for home growing and for use in the parks but she thinks we have too many.  Okay so all that work I did was either not needed or wrong. :facepalm:

Got to the garden this morning right as the rain ended.  When nobody showed up for the work session after an hour, I started to wrap my shit up to leave.  5 more minutes and I would have been out of there but here they came. :facepalm:  

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha! :P

That all sounds really frustrating. Glad I dont have any ongoing responsibilities to anyone at gardens - just when I volunteer for specific things. We are all very thankful for our leads!

It keeps raining at night which means I cant harvest things like chamomile, because the desired volatile oils are secreted early morning so thats when they are harvested. Cant harvest them to dry when they are soaking because of likely hood of mould or rot.

Fuck, I forgot all about that.  We harvested yesterday right after it rained.  Let me ask why we don't harvest after a rain.  A quick net search says it's because of food pathogens.  And you need to wait 24 hours.  Makes sense but if you let the stuff dry for 24 hours, isn't it the same?

I didn't wash my chamomile after harvest.  I just dried it but I had some bugs crawling out of it.  Do you wash it before you dry it?

24 minutes ago, cineater said:

Fuck, I forgot all about that.  We harvested yesterday right after it rained.  Let me ask why we don't harvest after a rain.  A quick net search says it's because of food pathogens.  And you need to wait 24 hours.  Makes sense but if you let the stuff dry for 24 hours, isn't it the same?

I didn't wash my chamomile after harvest.  I just dried it but I had some bugs crawling out of it.  Do you wash it before you dry it?

I dont wash chamomile before drying because Im after the oils on the flower buds for medical use - dont want to wash them away. You know in the morning when the flowers are all folded up with the petals wrapping back around the bud? Thats when the good stuff gets captured best. I dont want rain or myself to rinse it away. I only do this with a few medical herbs and flowers.

I'm sure that harvesting wet herbs to dry can be fine, but with the quantity I do I just try and follow 'best practices' in hopes of saving myself any grief. I only have a window cracked open to vent so I need to be extra careful about moisture.

Harvesting veggies to dehydrate would be okay if they're harvested wet I think?

I don't know.  Now I'm kind of freaking out because they said those foodborne pathogens are worse around growing places with watery property near by and we've been surrounded by flood waters a lot this year.  I emailed our lead about it.  We don't take that over to the food pantry until Tuesday so we have time to send it to the compost bin.  We've all noticed the increase in frogs on the property so I know we have moisture issues. One article said the danger was food pulled from the ground.  We didn't take any of the lettuce type crops, just what was hanging off plants.  Yesterday was not my day!

1 minute ago, cineater said:

I don't know.  Now I'm kind of freaking out because they said those foodborne pathogens are worse around growing places with watery property near by and we've been surrounded by flood waters a lot this year.  I emailed our lead about it.  We don't take that over to the food pantry until Tuesday so we have time to send it to the compost bin.  We've all noticed the increase in frogs on the property so I know we have moisture issues. One article said the danger was food pulled from the ground.  We didn't take any of the lettuce type crops, just what was hanging off plants.  Yesterday was not my day!

What did you harvest yesterday well it was wet?

Tomatoes, peppers, green beans and that one zucchetta that was on the ground.  I wouldn't say any of it was wet but it was so humid yesterday and we put all of that in plastic bags, tied them off and sent them to David's house until we can send them to the pantry.  Sounds like ideal growing conditions to me.  I've noticed too the pantry just puts that stuff straight on the shelves.  We thought they washed it off before putting it out.  I think we need to have a discussion about being more hygenic.

I have a new poem:

Roses are red,

Violets are blue.

I'm about to fuck up,

so what else is new?

From Greenfingers, cute movie.

• Haha 1

His reply to my, did I mess up, got me "I don't think so".  I've been dismissed.  He's annoying like that especially with me.  I'll ask around and see what other folks have to say.

Little more information on the copper plate.  It was given to my friend back in the 80's.  He brought it home from a foreign country.  You can see on the back where it had been welded onto something at one time.  It's not machine made because there are to many irregularities in the pattern.  There's no markings on the back.  She never did anything with it since she got it, explains the thick tarnish.

Edited by cineater

When the ex stopped back by on his way through he had a book on personality types.  Really pushy with me wanting me to take the test.  Okay fine, but you know you're in my profession and I know how to answer those questions to make me look a certain way.  Fine I'll answer honestly.  He's a little annoyed I'm just not answering off the top of my head and considering my answers.  Couldn't wait to grab it out of hands and total up my scores.

So he's studying it.  As usual I'm tied on two personality types.  Yeah, I am a gemini.  He goes, "you're female and a thinker, that's very rare" all perplexed like.  You know, get the fuck out of my house and take that book with you! :lol:  When was that written, the 50's?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think tying the bags is less than ideal, but hopefully not a huge issue. Give em a rinse, pat em dry and bobs your uncle.

That said, leafy greens and beans usually arrive in a tied up plastic bag with vapour in the beg, from the CSA. Like how they mist em at the grocers.

I dabble in home brewing and every precaution is made to prevent bacteria growth  - everything is sanitized thoroughly. But theres plenty of times I forgot to sanitize the bottle caps and think 'oh well, too late now" and later after its fermented I smell it and it smells fine so i drink it and all is well. This to say that things can grow, but it doesnt mean that they always do grow.

Sorry if my herbalist practices stressed you out about your projects! 

5 minutes ago, cineater said:

When the ex stopped back by on his way through he had a book on personality types.  Really pushy with me wanting me to take the test.  Okay fine, but you know you're in my profession and I know how to answer those questions to make me look a certain way.  Fine I'll answer honestly.  He's a little annoyed I'm just not answering off the top of my head and considering my answers.  Couldn't wait to grab it out of hands and total up my scores.

So he's studying it.  As usual I'm tied on two personality types.  Yeah, I am a gemini.  He goes, "you're female and a thinker, that's very rare" all perplexed like.  You know, get the fuck out of my house and take that book with you! :lol:  When was that written, the 50's?

Did you do the personality questionnaire while he was sharing your bed?:smiley-confused2::P:lol: Sorry! Couldnt resist! :lol::hug:Sounds like all things considered it went reasonably well and nows he's gone?

"Female and a thinker" Lord love a duck!... and a damn good thinker at that. The profile of the garden thief you gave me was 100% accurate and the boss bish had been suspicious of him too - she saw him prowling the plots at night.. My input (including all your great input) was what sealed the deal. He's busted! It was amazing watching you do your thing and describe this person and their garden having not seen them!! 

Really, I got him?  I'm always careful with my suspicions and calling somebody out.  Things aren't always as they appear.  

The ex has been here twice.  Awkward and tension filled while outwardly being friendly if I had to put it to words.  There's a funny cat story involving all 3 cats around the whole bed thing.  I'm finding it all hard to digest and because I don't want friends and family to know he was here, I'm trying to forget about it so I don't slip up and say something.  But as it goes with him, just his voice can piss me off, lol.  It wasn't all bad.  I loved him once you know.  Kind of good to see him, now go away.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Really, I got him?  I'm always careful with my suspicions and calling somebody out.  Things aren't always as they appear.  

The ex has been here twice.  Awkward and tension filled while outwardly being friendly if I had to put it to words.  There's a funny cat story involving all 3 cats around the whole bed thing.  I'm finding it all hard to digest and because I don't want friends and family to know he was here, I'm trying to forget about it so I don't slip up and say something.  But as it goes with him, just his voice can piss me off, lol.  It wasn't all bad.  I loved him once you know.  Kind of good to see him, now go away.

Yep, you got him! I didnt even report my theft so I know where you are coming from. But its him.

Thats a difficult position to be in. HAHA, even just his voice! 

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Oh, he's a stand up, decent guy.  It's not all the time.  I'm sure he has his issues with me. :lol:

So is that guy banned from the gardens?

Im sure he is a stand up guy. I know what you mean! :lol:

I dont know if the thief will be banned. So long as he doesnt steal - and maybe if he make amends - i wouldnt really mind if he stays. I guess he could steal again whether he's a gardener or not. 

Its such a reckless act. Makes it difficult to know whats an appropriate response. If he's banned from the garden, its certainly earned.

Yeah I hate to leave my back open by pissing people off.  And while I don't always want to have to deal with it but I believe people misbehave for a reason.  Maybe the guy is hungry.  You know, if he just somebody who has to have lots of stuff to pick up, set him up with pole beans.  That's a little treasure hunt that goes on forever!

So I'm fucking with the neighbors a little bit.  I know they all saw the ex's truck out there on the driveway but they don't know who it belongs to.  And they know it spent the night, twice.  One of the neighbors saw him so they know it was a man.  A man with long hair and a decent body for an old guy.  Love how my neighbors look out for me and I know they are dying to know what's up at my place.  Last night I got a personal invite to the neighborhood fire but while I talked about many of the things I have going on, never mentioned that, lol.  Really there's nothing to say other than he passed through but now I have a little curiosity going on, lol.  I'm usually so boring and quiet.  

• Haha 1

60% humidity and temps in the 90's.  It's like breathing soup.  The plants are on their own.  I'm in the house floating along the British canals checking out the gardens and little shops.  Love this show on narrow boats.

Update on the copper plate.  It was shiny when she got it and I'm at dull copper.  Not sure how to remove the next layer.  Could help if I got some new Brasso.  Mine's probably 40 years old.  Late night run to Wal-Mart is on the list.  Top soil is on sale for a buck a bag.

15 hours ago, cineater said:

60% humidity and temps in the 90's.  It's like breathing soup.  The plants are on their own.  I'm in the house floating along the British canals checking out the gardens and little shops.  Love this show on narrow boats.

Update on the copper plate.  It was shiny when she got it and I'm at dull copper.  Not sure how to remove the next layer.  Could help if I got some new Brasso.  Mine's probably 40 years old.  Late night run to Wal-Mart is on the list.  Top soil is on sale for a buck a bag.

Im not familiar with that british canals show. But I do enjoy watching peoples sailing videos. Even when they are floating along the locks. It can be really pleasant and relaxing. Sometimes Ill see boats traveling the locks here irl.

That plate sounds like quite the project! I have no idea about that stuff. 

Time for me to jar up all my dried herbs and harvest another round. And so many cherry tomatoes and kale. I think the neighbours are getting a care package.

This boat thing is fascinating to me.  Appeals to my backpacker mentality.  I'm binge watching, lol.

I'm doing the jar thing too, getting ready.  How do you do that?

We have to order soil with 50% compost but our horticulturalist suspects the place we get it from may have a herbicide contamination going on.  We're going to order but do the bean test on it, send it back if it's no good. Guess who gets stuck doing the bean test, lol. https://ipm.missouri.edu/MEG/2014/8/Contaminated-Compost-Equals-Gardening-Problems/