Gardening

Gracii Guns

I want to cuss a blue streak.  Our education lead, who wanted nothing to do with the library classes, is now offended that I did something she is not involved in.  Lady, I gave you a great idea and told you I would organize it, run it and you passed.  She didn't have to do anything but take credit that her group came up with it.

Don't let my screaming stop you from being a Master Gardener. :lol:  Our classes are 3 hours each for 16 classes and cost almost $200.  You're getting off easy.  Consider yourself a seedling.  The people who join this group have an interest in learning more about gardening and sharing it with the public.  We like to dig in the dirt and talk, lol.  If you were with me, you would be a colead on the vegetable garden the moment you stepped in the door.

I know, those climbing plants grow in front of your eyes.

Oh no! Is that the person you've been feeling some tension with but thought it was gonna be okay in the end? People are the worst.

I can dig in dirt and talk!! lol. You are too kind. Id drive everyone crazy with my borderline-neurotic aversion to using cardboard and newsprint with food plants:smiley-confused2::lol:

I actually didnt find out how long each course was, I assumed a semester each. Chickened out of checking into the cost. Im hoping to fully monetize my big garden by next season. So worst case I wait until then.

Im noticing coleus everywhere now! And I think some 'monkey grass' too! I love it!! Thank you for teaching me.

The class might be free too.  Get all the information before you make a decision.  We could be the international Master Gardening friends who met on the GNR boards.  Don't think it will make us famous but might make us a little bit interesting to some folks. :lol:

This so cool.  I've been looking for a place to put our large brush we don't want in the compost bin until we can burn it.  Leslie suggested we make intentional brush piles and call it habitat gardening for the birds and other small creatures.  We can also use it in areas we want to choke out invasives we don't want.  Says there is a real art to doing it so it can be a class.  The woman is brilliant!

Edited by cineater

11 hours ago, cineater said:

The class might be free too.  Get all the information before you make a decision.  We could be the international Master Gardening friends who met on the GNR boards.  Don't think it will make us famous but might make us a little bit interesting to some folks. :lol:

:lol::headbang::lol: International Master Gardener friends who met on the GNR boards! I love it! We'd be very unique in that regard for sure!! And we could Skype each other in to meetings, both wearing Axl bandanas! :lol:

Okay I will look more into the classes... when I get my nerve up :) Free would be just fantastic.

11 hours ago, cineater said:

This so cool.  I've been looking for a place to put our large brush we don't want in the compost bin until we can burn it.  Leslie suggested we make intentional brush piles and call it habitat gardening for the birds and other small creatures.  We can also use it in areas we want to choke out invasives we don't want.  Says there is a real art to doing it so it can be a class.  The woman is brilliant!

Awesome! Never heard of that before. Sounds like a perfect use for them. In my minds eye they look cool too.

Strikes me as a permaculture thing. Id also love to get certified in permaculture design one day.

Frost. Advisory. <_<

And my echinacea are just about to bloom. They are usually two years to maturity. This pic is already outdated as the yellow and purple flower is exposed yesterday last i saw.

9vo93fTh.jpg

Lucky for me all I have left in is kale and carrots at one garden - and both will handle frost just fine. And my black beans are already drying in the field. Just these lentils. I think they are ready?? Ill have to make the trip even though I hadnt planned too.

Side note, my chamomile really under performed this season. I think they were too crowded. Seems to be the only plants who suffered from the intensive planting.

• Like 1

See you're a Master Gardener, Echinacea when the rest of the folks say coneflower, lol.  Love the cones.  Wow, frost already, just can't imagine living in such a short growing season.

I have squirrel damage.  This time of year they like to bury their acorns (no I'm not saying nuts) in my pots.  They knocked my big Jade houseplant off the shelf and the pot cracked beyond repair.  And of course all my big pots are full of coleus this time of year.  

On September 7, 2019 at 11:45 PM, downliner said:

I must have 500-1000 bulbs that I now need to plant :lol: My favourite of the bunch are the Muscari, I've loved them since I was a kid and now they just remind me of those days spent wandering woodlands.

hyacinth-21687_1280_full_width.jpg

I also bought 200L of woodchip bark to put around the base of my trees. Not really sure how much ground this will cover but I'll find out tomorrow, guessing around 10m2.

Those are beautiful. Muscari, another new one for me. Yeah, that childhood stuff - I think I was 'closer to the land' as a kiddo. Milk Pods will always be my grampas plant in my mind.

Id be interested to know if that wood chip calculation pans out? Id have no idea, but useful info.

If your weather is anywhere near cold as here, you better get planting your 1000 bulbs before the ground freezes solid! Can you imagine how transformed your garden will be next year? :headbang:

1 hour ago, cineater said:

See you're a Master Gardener, Echinacea when the rest of the folks say coneflower, lol.  Love the cones.  Wow, frost already, just can't imagine living in such a short growing season.

I have squirrel damage.  This time of year they like to bury their acorns (no I'm not saying nuts) in my pots.  They knocked my big Jade houseplant off the shelf and the pot cracked beyond repair.  And of course all my big pots are full of coleus this time of year.  

Hehe - now youre just buttering me up, lol. My nerdy amateur herbalism coming to the fore is all. :lol: Usually we dont get frost this early. I harvested frozen swiss chard in late November. I harvested dent corn on October 30th once. I worked the garden in my full lumberjack coat and hat today! But yeah, the short growing season is not ideal no mater what. And it means that panic is a normal part of the gardening experience here :lol: Im jealous of you!!

Those dang squirrels!! Hope that the Coleus survived?

10 hours ago, soon said:

Those are beautiful. Muscari, another new one for me. Yeah, that childhood stuff - I think I was 'closer to the land' as a kiddo. Milk Pods will always be my grampas plant in my mind.

Id be interested to know if that wood chip calculation pans out? Id have no idea, but useful info.

If your weather is anywhere near cold as here, you better get planting your 1000 bulbs before the ground freezes solid! Can you imagine how transformed your garden will be next year? :headbang:

200L acted as mulch for a total of 13 trees. At about 5cm deep I'd say each 100L covered approx 5m2?

I've another 15 or so trees to mulch and I'm going to use the same bark for my garden path too, so have ordered another 1000L. I'm gonna be busy for the next few weeks but will post some update photos when it's all done, and hopefully not looking like such a jungle :)

For planting all of the bulbs I also finally invested in one of these:
618Hch47RNL._SX425_.jpg

It's just a cheap £35 strimmer off Amazon but will see how it goes. Hoping I can blast away large patches of the tough long grass easily and then plant the bulbs in its place ready for next spring <_< Might not be as simple as that as I expect the grass will return next year with a vengeance :lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, downliner said:

200L acted as mulch for a total of 13 trees. At about 5cm deep I'd say each 100L covered approx 5m2?

I've another 15 or so trees to mulch and I'm going to use the same bark for my garden path too, so have ordered another 1000L. I'm gonna be busy for the next few weeks but will post some update photos when it's all done, and hopefully not looking like such a jungle :)

618Hch47RNL._SX425_.jpg

It's just a cheap £35 strimmer off Amazon but will see how it goes. Hoping I can blast away large patches of the tough long grass easily and then plant the bulbs in its place ready for next spring <_< Might not be as simple as that as I expect the grass will return next year with a vengeance :lol:

Get one of these to plant the bulbs.  https://www.amazon.com/Hermes-Land-Planting-Bedding-Seedling/dp/B07S1GLRB8/ref=asc_df_B07S1GLRB8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366329529258&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1350574769993937906&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022931&hvtargid=aud-799727667774:pla-793856911428&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=77768418938&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366329529258&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1350574769993937906&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022931&hvtargid=aud-799727667774:pla-793856911428

Don't know why I can't get the picture to post but it's an auger drill bit you attach to your drill drive.  You just drill a hole and plant.  So quick and easy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, downliner said:

Thanks for the tip! :headbang: Just ordered one now and should have it by Friday. I didn't even think of getting something like, didn't know they existed so thanks :D

I tell you those Master Gardeners know all the ways to cut that work in half.  My eyes popped the first time I saw that.

Holy shit!  Just got the plans and equipment list for the outdoor classroom.  It's becoming reality!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, downliner said:

618Hch47RNL._SX425_.jpg

Thanks for the info! You certainly will be busy!! Good thing for power tools. And yes, agreed, that grass will push back :lol:

The trimmer is electric? It seemed like your garden was kinda out in the field - do you get power out there? 

I really wish I knew about those drill augers about 6 years ago... all that wasted time :lol: Got to get one of those next year.

24 minutes ago, cineater said:

I tell you those Master Gardeners know all the ways to cut that work in half.  My eyes popped the first time I saw that.

So happy to learn about that auger - I always knew that I owned a drill for purposes beyond hanging shelves and picture frames for neighbours!

Ive been putting some serious thought into the Master Garden thing. Id like to contribute the way that you do and help people enter into the local food movement and supporting our pollinators. It just makes sense to volunteer as a Master Gardener. Speared the simple joy of gardening!

Im also planning to monetize my big garden and maybe start offering to grow veg in neighbours yards in exchange for half the harvest. Do you think it would cheapen the prestige of Master Gardeners to also utilize the title to gain business? The only reason I got thinking about it from that angle is that I looked into the courses and according to the Unis website the 1st of 4 courses is over $400. Thats in-class, it didnt mention online. So I suppose that could be at a saving.

So that would be cost prohibitive. But if I can file it as a small business expense that could help recoup some of the costs. And also we have a really helpful Small Business Librarian at the library near me. She might be able to find some grants or 'cash-in some favours' to get me into the courses??

33 minutes ago, cineater said:

Holy shit!  Just got the plans and equipment list for the outdoor classroom.  It's becoming reality!

Yay!!! :dance:Must be so cool to hold it in your hands? :headbang:

Ive lost track of some of the previous posts about the contractors but I know they are excited too! They sure got those plans to you fast!! So I guess they'll be ready to go first thing next spring?? Unless the Army Core Engineers and others drag their heels on the permissions?

This is so fun to watch take shape. Great idea, cineater!!

2 hours ago, soon said:

Yay!!! :dance:Must be so cool to hold it in your hands? :headbang:

Ive lost track of some of the previous posts about the contractors but I know they are excited too! They sure got those plans to you fast!! So I guess they'll be ready to go first thing next spring?? Unless the Army Core Engineers and others drag their heels on the permissions?

This is so fun to watch take shape. Great idea, cineater!!

Holy shit, I just got the roof donated!  The first farmer I asked, do you have any corrugated steel panels you can donate?  She has all 7 of them in grey and burgundy left over from her barn roof.  The roof was to be phase II because of the cost but I just got it down to $50.  It's a go if those work.

Barring all the obstacles, the classroom should be up by November 15th (I'll probably bring this project in early).  It's a fall project when the chiggers are dead and we can walk all over the plants.  Tomorrow we review the whole budget for the gardens.  See who over spent and who has money they aren't going to use.  Out of what's left we entertain who wants more money.  If we can get our funding from there I won't have to ask the steering committee for funds from the overall pot of money.  Plus I haven't asked the group yet for what they can donate off the supply list.  Right now I have the cost down to $650.  "Chip away at the stone."

• GNFNR 1

36 minutes ago, cineater said:

Holy shit, I just got the roof donated!  The first farmer I asked, do you have any corrugated steel panels you can donate?  She has all 7 of them in grey and burgundy left over from her barn roof.  The roof was to be phase II because of the cost but I just got it down to $50.  It's a go if those work.

Barring all the obstacles, the classroom should be up by November 15th (I'll probably bring this project in early).  It's a fall project when the chiggers are dead and we can walk all over the plants.  Tomorrow we review the whole budget for the gardens.  See who over spent and who has money they aren't going to use.  Out of what's left we entertain who wants more money.  If we can get our funding from there I won't have to ask the steering committee for funds from the overall pot of money.  Plus I haven't asked the group yet for what they can donate off the supply list.  Right now I have the cost down to $650.  "Chip away at the stone."

Thats so cool that she donated the roofing!!! I hope they work.

November 15th?! Thats so soon! I trust that the budget conversations will go swimmingly since you've made it such a slam dunk case. I bet that $650 doesnt include that pig bell? lol

• Haha 1

You know at night I'm asking myself, what have you gotten yourself into? :lol:  I'm building a classroom, scheduling education at the library, formalizing the gardening rules, making tour plans and coming up with education moments/classes.  "Hey, now, bird, wouldn't you rather die than walk this world when you're born to fly?"  I try to walk but then I start running and before you know it, I'm flying.  Hope the rest of the flock follows. :lol:

• Haha 1

We reviewed the demo garden overall allocated budget.  We have the funds to cover what people over spent out of what I control.  We're calling for people to tell us what they aren't going to spend out of their budgets and then we'll entertain who wants more money.  It's looking real good that if the classroom has to go to the overall pot of unallocated money from the group that we will be asking for very little.  Looks like we can cover pretty much all of it out of the demo garden money.  Just have to get the vote now.

Have another fantastic idea for education/demonstration.  We have our large area if you want to go all out with your vegetable gardening and we have the square foot garden if you are limited spaces.  We have nothing for those of us trying to grow out of containers on our patios/decks.  I'm going to do vegetable gardening in containers.  Do some potatoes growing in bags.  I have a special projects bed that will work for that.  I'll do a containers class for beautiful flower displays and then walk them over to the vegetables in containers display.  That should be a fun class.

I got to mess with Kevin today.  The guy I have to report all my issues with the mowing equipment to.  I come back from taking the food pantry stuff over and there's Kevin, his truck and my tow rope on the road in front of the property.  I'm thinking he lost the line trimmer over the edge into the brambles and creek.  I almost take the tumble every time I mow that area.  I'm waiting for him when he's done, what did you do Kevin, lol.  To my horror, glad I didn't look, he lost the zero turn over the edge.  That's the big expensive equipment!  He snapped my tow rope in three places and still couldn't get it up.  Fortunately, a pro stopped to help and got it up.  But there's nothing I can do to top that blunder, lol.  I'm off the hook forever!

Edited by cineater
  • Like 1

Hope the vote goes well :)

Thats a great one for a demo. Id loe to learn how to grow potatoes in a bag.

Wait, Kevin drove a tractor into the stream??

I have like 50 baskets like this of kale yet to harvest and preserve. I hate kale now. :lol: And I only grew this much because my cat trampled all my tomato and pepper seedlings... grrrr :lol:

WBw7fpvh.jpg

And they did fully bloom

XnN3Uc8h.jpg

Can you donate any of that kale?

According to Kevin something caught the deck and pulled him just enough to the left that the weight of the mower started the slide down the steep embankment.   He bailed, as he should, the moment he felt it going.  He's lucky it didn't roll over.  It didn't go all the way down because it slide into a tree.  He got over confident with the new tries on the mower.  They hold the tracker better on slopes but that is moore of flat with a dramatic slope on the left side.  Where he lost it I only mow 1 pass with the hand mower.

I'm on my way now to check out, where the hell did that come from?  Marsha and I are saying goodbye at her car and all the sudden here comes the city brush hog coming out of the leaf mulch pile.  Behind that is a 25 foot cliff right into the creek.  How the hell did he get there?  He just drives by us and gives a little wave.  Don't even know where he went. :lol:

Edited by cineater

Thats a great idea, I know just the soup kitchen - I used to volunteer in it!! Head chef is rude, so dumping the work on him is a nice bonus too :lol:

My neighbour is on a self improvement health kick so I offered it to them. They went on about the health virtues of hearty greens and shared a story about how she could feel the nutrients energize her as she eats them. And then she said "no thanks, too much work, Ive got frozen veggies that come chopped up." I was so close to off loading them - curve ball ending :lol:

That stream, man! Its eroding the land under neath your feet and felling your tractors! Glad everyone and everything is okay :) 

What the situation with you being considered a "Community Garden" officially?