Gardening

Gracii Guns

On 9/18/2019 at 10:05 PM, downliner said:

I have 6 hens so I'm always trying to unload free eggs on my neighbours so they dont go to waste :lol: We usually get 6 eggs daily and there's just no way I can use that many, even if they are delicious.

I started planting the bulbs today, thanks again for the auger tip cineater, it worked a treat :headbang:Thought you and soon might like to see the method I ended up going with in the end...

IMG-20190918-162315442.jpg
1. Strimmed away the huge weeds, pulled out as many roots as I could and raked the ground over
2. Augered the holes (top left)
3. Put bulbs in the holes, backfilled and marked each position with a tent peg
4. Put 2 sheets of wet newspaper down and pierced the paper with the tent pegs so I dont lose the position of the bulbs (bottom left)
5. Removed tent pegs and made the holes in the newspaper slightly larger
6. Spread 3-4cm of bark over the top (see right)

In theory the newspaper should help keep the old weeds down whilst the bulbs come through the holes and then fight their way through the bark. The paper will degrade over time which I preferred over the fabric option, and apparently its good for worms and what have you as they'll eat away at it too.

Its a slow process but the strimmer and auger definitely helped. I'll be retiring from gardening if the weeds come back with a vengeance next year lol

Very cool! Thanks for sharing your method.just imagine all that work without the tools?!? The pollinators will be so happy.

i think your gf’s thought to do it in pieces is wise... those weeds love to shoot out of broken soil. 

Off to a great start, it’ll be epic :headbang:

4 hours ago, cineater said:

I'm apple picking today.  Paul says it's only one large tree.  Then kept asking how I was on ladders, if I could take the height.  Just how big is this tree? :lol:

That’s not the relaxing kinda apple picking that I’m accustomed too! I chickened out of gathering spruce tips for that very reason :lol:

was planning to harvest my 3 carrots today and pickle them for my pulled bbq chicken dinner. But I just ate the best cheeseburger combo of my life and am entering food coma

:lol:  There's healthy and there's  I need a double bacon cheeseburger, onion rings and a vanilla shake.

So the latest concern on the outdoor classroom is that we are using repurposed wood for the floor.  Shouldn't we use new wood for public safety.  No, that just drives up the cost.  This may need to be replaced sooner than later but public safety is not compromised.  It's exhausting listening to people's concerns and I swear they just make some of this shit up.  Give me a real complaint.  Want to direct them to the nearest GNR board, have at it with your comments. :lol:

Apple picking was fun, not to mention dangerous.  Fuckers hurt when they hit you on the head.  I never did manage to get a bad one in the trash can while twisted around on the ladder.  I came close, but no score. 

• Haha 1

Well, I never did harvest those carrots, but at least I wasnt bombarded with apples to the head. :lol: No surprise you couldnt score into the bin when your taking shots to the head!

Just reading your description of the fielding those concerns makes my mad! I agree there are those just saying stuff just because... I dunno why... they see others doing it and think they need to join in? People are the worst!! Send them to a GNR board other than this one!!!!!! 

We had a number of tornados in a short span this time last year so to commemorate there is huge tree planting drives going on. Also a natives planting drive focused on the monarchs but also all pollinators. They are focusing on milk pods along the migration route. Cool stuff.

The outdoor classroom passed but I don't know if it's going up this year. 

The meeting went horrible.  My friend kept trying to run the meeting and even went so far as to aline herself with the education person she knows I'm having issues with.  She even tried to form a break off group.  And then I found out some people on the steering committee have been ganging up and cutting me out.  You don't pull that shit with me. I will be addressing it with them.  But I have to decide if I even want to fuck with this.  My current co lead was even upset with how it went.  I was invited to go to lunch with some of the steering committee and my friend.  Let the one guy know I wasn't happy with things and turned down the invite.

15 hours ago, cineater said:

The outdoor classroom passed but I don't know if it's going up this year. 

The meeting went horrible.  My friend kept trying to run the meeting and even went so far as to aline herself with the education person she knows I'm having issues with.  She even tried to form a break off group.  And then I found out some people on the steering committee have been ganging up and cutting me out.  You don't pull that shit with me. I will be addressing it with them.  But I have to decide if I even want to fuck with this.  My current co lead was even upset with how it went.  I was invited to go to lunch with some of the steering committee and my friend.  Let the one guy know I wasn't happy with things and turned down the invite.

Im so hay that it passed! :headbang:So many people are gonna benefit! Not to mention the planet!

That meetings sounds horrible. People get a little bit of power and go full Lord of the Flies!! And then invite you for lunch? Thats when the steam would be shooting out of my ears. The rest of us are grateful that you stuck to it.

Not use in building it if the movers and the shakers of the group don't all get behind it to make it in to what it's built for.  I've pretty much sent the message to everybody that I'm unwillingly to turn this into a battle.  They've sucked my passion for what I'm doing right out of me.  I'm unwilling to turn my friends into adversaries and unwilling to have them see me that way.  It's just not worth it.  I can't motivate a group when my passion is gone.

• Sad 1

Im really sorry how things played out - its an awesome idea that is affordable. To be honest Im finding myself fairly disappointed with people as the season wraps up. I didnt face anything like you did, but I had to take stock of just how happy I was that autumn arrived. And I came to realize that between thefts, gossip, my landlord and the lack of community at the community garden Im just ready for a break from everyone IRL. Theres snow in the forecast in a different part of Canada, Im not ready for that, but am ready for summer to end.

All the more reason to celebrate the great conversations here with you, downliner and all! :headbang:

Look how beautiful Sugar Magnolia blooms are

MWQjAqeh.jpg

That is gorgeous!

I know, we are all just about done.  Happens every year about this time.  Thing is, we'll be back next year.  We rest up over the winter and go back at it every spring. :lol: 

My friend, lol.  She wanted to argue with me if I can call it a class.  I could give a flying fuck about educational credits.  Once I called it learn while you work, she thought it was a great idea.  Our people think coming to help in the gardens is all about pulling weeds and physical labor.  I'm trying to change that mindset to it's educational.  I've noticed people are real good about telling me how I'm wrong, we'll call it feedback.  But they aren't real good about looking at the fact they aren't listening to your ideas to help make them work.  They are listening to find fault.

Edited by cineater

Your friend is starting to piss me off! <_< :lol: Nitpicking about the word "class" :facepalm: Ive quit lets say 'more than one' grassroots organization over that same BS - people who only drag things down and give no good energy in. 

Grrrr, people are always complaining that the community garden garbage bins arent collected enough, as if we can just tell the city to collect curb side more... hint: they arent intended for you to toss your family size KFC meals waste into.

Haha, we are quite the pair today! :rofl-lol:

She's a good one to give you feedback so you can troubleshoot your project, positive spin.  Also gives you practice to keep from beating the crap out of someone. :lol:

So I thought of a new class.  Come Meet Our Trees.  Present education on trees and then walk around and introduce the class to the trees.  We planted trees in honor of people who achieved 1000 volunteer hours.  We could even have the people standing by their trees to talk about them. :lol:

14 hours ago, cineater said:

She's a good one to give you feedback so you can troubleshoot your project, positive spin.  Also gives you practice to keep from beating the crap out of someone. :lol:

So I thought of a new class.  Come Meet Our Trees.  Present education on trees and then walk around and introduce the class to the trees.  We planted trees in honor of people who achieved 1000 volunteer hours.  We could even have the people standing by their trees to talk about them. :lol:

Friends no doubt do teach forbearance as we all suffer one another :lol:

Come Meet Trees - I love it!! I can just picture the volunteers standing next to their trees like an exhibit hehe. I really want to know all the trees in my area. 

Ain't that the truth.

Today's project was clean the shed which hasn't been done in years.  We got pretty far on it and it looked like rain any minute so another time.  I've been out deadheading and collecting seeds all evening.  Starting on cleaning up for the year.

Yeah Hunter took a little piece of my heart with him.  Such a great lyricist.  So many of his words come to mind everyday.  Hope he's with Jerry where we will someday join them. 

Edited by cineater

:hug:Words are failing me right now in sharp contrast to the way that he never failed the words. When we all meet again I bet they'll be picking and grinning, writing another tune.

Supposed to rain all day here. I forgot all about sorting the shed for winter, sigh. Tomorrow I hope to harvest all my lentils and beans. That garden will go to bed easily. But my community garden has so many perennials and kale that it isnt really time to wrap it up yet. Chamomile has mostly died off which is noteworthy while my echinacea thinks its July! 

We went full fall right on the equinox!

J1Bf1mnh.jpg

We took a dip but are going back into the 90's for a few days.  Next Thursday looks like the day we turn to fall weather.  I'm tired!  Been working my ass off in the heat.  I'll get my energy back once we cool off.  The good news is I went from a little over 140 to a little under 130.  Today though we tackle chiggerville.  Another round of bug spray perfume, sick of that too.

How long does it take to find out if you got Chiggers? :lol:

I got 7 classes for the library program.  Two people, the two who fought hardest against the outdoor classroom, dropped out.  They have good excuses so I'm not going there.  7 is more than I had originally hoped for so barring anything going wrong, we have a pretty good program for the library.  Feel pretty good about supporting the library too.  I meet with them next week to set it up.  I hope they are receptive to scheduling some gardens tours with us next year.

I left the general meeting tonight feeling not a part of the little click that runs everything and like I had probably babbled my ideas enough that people just wish I'd shut up.  It's okay, I do talk a lot when I'm developing things.  I like the feedback.  And I don't do the click thing.  I'm ready to kick my ides into gear.  Some of them did notice I had withdrawn into my shell but I do that too when I'm blazing a new path.  Hope some folks come along.  I let Leslie tell them about the blue ribbons we had won at the garden show.  When she reached into the bag to pull out the 2 blues, along came all the second and third places.  We won big time and the group was amazed.

I just happen to be reading Life magazine's The Grateful Dead this week.  There's a story from a photographer about the whole scene the Dead were part of and of course Jerry.  He starts talking about how he had to leave that world.  His first AA meeting he ran into Grace Slick.  She use to take Jerry to meetings.  Guess where he went when he left, to the garden.  He's really into gardening. :heart:  

Cool the stuff you learn when you're waiting on a cat. :lol:

9 hours ago, cineater said:

How long does it take to find out if you got Chiggers? :lol:

I got 7 classes for the library program.  Two people, the two who fought hardest against the outdoor classroom, dropped out.  They have good excuses so I'm not going there.  7 is more than I had originally hoped for so barring anything going wrong, we have a pretty good program for the library.  Feel pretty good about supporting the library too.  I meet with them next week to set it up.  I hope they are receptive to scheduling some gardens tours with us next year.

I left the general meeting tonight feeling not a part of the little click that runs everything and like I had probably babbled my ideas enough that people just wish I'd shut up.  It's okay, I do talk a lot when I'm developing things.  I like the feedback.  And I don't do the click thing.  I'm ready to kick my ides into gear.  Some of them did notice I had withdrawn into my shell but I do that too when I'm blazing a new path.  Hope some folks come along.  I let Leslie tell them about the blue ribbons we had won at the garden show.  When she reached into the bag to pull out the 2 blues, along came all the second and third places.  We won big time and the group was amazed.

Chiggers are ticks? That stuff freaks me out!! Do you have one of those handy-dandy tick removers? Haha, I hope you don’t have to find out! I think if they are properly removed within 24 hrs it’s all good.

7 classes is great!! Nice job! I hope you find good and supportive library personnel. I’ve been chilling at the library more lately. You don’t need those quitters messing with the good vibes anyways.

congratulations on all the blue ribbons!! And other ribbons!

hopefully the group will catch up with you sooner than later.

7 hours ago, cineater said:

I just happen to be reading Life magazine's The Grateful Dead this week.  There's a story from a photographer about the whole scene the Dead were part of and of course Jerry.  He starts talking about how he had to leave that world.  His first AA meeting he ran into Grace Slick.  She use to take Jerry to meetings.  Guess where he went when he left, to the garden.  He's really into gardening. :heart:  

Cool the stuff you learn when you're waiting on a cat. :lol:

... waiting on China cat sunflower :) 

thats so cool!! Never knew that. We keep good company, don’t we?

i know he scrubba-ed with bobby and I’d love to learn that one day too.

i wonder what he grew? 

I find myself very torn over what to do with my three carrots. They are the lone survivors of the hot sauce garden plan - 50 plants went in and only 3 came out. :facepalm::lol: (sweet cornbread made a crazy leap and knocked down my big herb drying rack last night too - the chamomile turned to powder in the fall and is all lost - I still love him though :lol:).

So maybe some hot sauce made with store bought peppers?

or fermented for a topping

or pickled for sandwich topping

or beef stew w/ winter savoury and oregano

or chopped and placed in cold water in the fridge to enjoy raw - mom style I call it.

or some into hot sauce, which I put on wings and enjoy with a side of raw carrot sticks...

’the agony of three carrots’ a NYT think-piece by soon :lol:

1 hour ago, soon said:

:lol: well that simplifies it then!

Enjoy your hard work. :headbang:

You know he didn't say what he was growing.  There are stories about them subba diving out there.  The more I read about the Dead, the more the deaths kind of hit home harder.  "Dusty days are gone", long gone and now that I can try to "touch the sand" those I see left standing are going out fast.  Don't know these people but I think I would have liked them. 

Lines from Rose of Cimarron if you're wondering what song is playing in my head.

Hearts like yours belong
Following the dawn
Wrapped up in a song
Rose of Cimarron

Edited by cineater
  • GNFNR 1