Gardening

Gracii Guns

Well now, I'm at, I'm going to tell you what I think as Demo lead and I'm willing to discuss it with the rest of the leads and steering committee if you don't like my answer. But I'm not going to tell you what to do, lol.  They're all grown adults and the bitching can be directed at them if they do something they shouldn't.  At least they didn't put me in the role of bitch. :lol:

lol, I didn't say I wasn't going to tell on them.  Our president started yelling on e-mail when he found out what the one guy was up to.  I asked him to talk to the guy because he wasn't listening to me which was pretty obvious from what he heard they guy say last night.  He can bring the hammer down.  At least I can come here and cuss a blue streak, our president may have to go chop some wood before he replies to e-mails.

Edited by cineater

Your sales pitch for becoming a Master Gardener is going sideways! :lol:

it sounds like living in a co-op. And I’m only up for one of those. Truly - I turned down a stipend position just recently based on similar considerations. 

maybe all of us urban gardeners actually long to move deep into the country side to garden an acre and never have anything other than social dealings with human beings ever again?

i listened to Rose of Cimarron that you posted above. It’s really beautiful and poignant. Perfect for the occasion. I listened to Emmylous version.

It's a Poco song.  30 Days in the Hole is one of my favorites.

I know, I didn't realize there was all this crap in the upper tier of this group.  Happens in all volunteer groups.  I expected something like this but didn't think it would come from my friends.  The pres just told the one guy under no uncertain terms could he do that (didn't chop that wood first).  Er, sorry but he can, he just has to get permission, lol.  I'm not saying that.  Everybody calm the fuck down, geez, we can talk, lol.

I started taking down my beds along the building.  Hate those two beds.  Everybody kept planting annuals in them that reseeded and those beds always end up packed with stuff in no particular order.  That kind of thing looks okay away from a building but less is best along side of the building imo.  I wanted to rip some stuff out to see what it looked like.  I'm pleased with my spring look, it's the summer look that I hate.  The bushes have to stay, so should I rip out the little perennial plants in favor of the Lantana that blooms all summer?  I'm leaning towards the Lantana but they can get really big.  I can do Lantana in one bed and not the other but that bed wouldn't be blooming all the time.  On the other hand, I have done Lantana for a while now and while they are great plants maybe I'm sick of them and time for a whole new look.  Good thing I have a long winter ahead of me to ponder all that. :lol:

11 hours ago, cineater said:

It's a Poco song.  30 Days in the Hole is one of my favorites.

I know, I didn't realize there was all this crap in the upper tier of this group.  Happens in all volunteer groups.  I expected something like this but didn't think it would come from my friends.  The pres just told the one guy under no uncertain terms could he do that (didn't chop that wood first).  Er, sorry but he can, he just has to get permission, lol.  I'm not saying that.  Everybody calm the fuck down, geez, we can talk, lol.

I started taking down my beds along the building.  Hate those two beds.  Everybody kept planting annuals in them that reseeded and those beds always end up packed with stuff in no particular order.  That kind of thing looks okay away from a building but less is best along side of the building imo.  I wanted to rip some stuff out to see what it looked like.  I'm pleased with my spring look, it's the summer look that I hate.  The bushes have to stay, so should I rip out the little perennial plants in favor of the Lantana that blooms all summer?  I'm leaning towards the Lantana but they can get really big.  I can do Lantana in one bed and not the other but that bed wouldn't be blooming all the time.  On the other hand, I have done Lantana for a while now and while they are great plants maybe I'm sick of them and time for a whole new look.  Good thing I have a long winter ahead of me to ponder all that. :lol:

Poco, right on. Ive heard of them but never listened yet. Will have to check out their version. Thanks.

Latana are great. Must be a hassle to have all the mystery plants volunteering. I used to get calendula, borage and nasturtium self seeding everywhere. I know - I wonder how many version of gardens we will plan in our heads or jot down before next season?! :lol:

4 hours ago, cineater said:

Well my friend called and she has backed down.  It's all good and we're all getting out of our own heads and growing together or at least heading that way.  It's the end of the season, we're tired.  But not too tired to be planning next year. :lol:

Yay, thats great that you and your friend are all good again. And I guess the plants fight for space too - maybe its just part of the ecosystem? 

Theres a few dogs id really like to say good bye to until next year... and I guess their owners can be there too :lol: Nah, Im joking the dog people are all my favourites. Hopefully will run into them over the winter. Heck, Ill plan out their next gardens too! 

Im sad that its possibly my friends last season, although shes tough as nails though so if anyone could return its her.

My carrots are still in the ground :facepalm::lol:

I think we're all just beat to fuck, your friend will be back.  I went to lunch with some of the gardeners yesterday.  We're just kind of plopped in our chairs, draining ourselves of family life to keep up a conversation.  I bring up the winter book club and that I heard about this book about trees, mama trees.  And before you know it, everybody is sitting up, hands making comments on tables, they know something about that too and we're just chatting away with renewed energy.  I have to go get that book, they're interested in winter book club.

• GNFNR 1

Thats so cool that you recharged everyones batteries with the book club and that selection! Thats the one you mentioned about how large trees can water baby trees?

I just made the perfect garden friend. I believe he's a Grey Jay. He came so close to me and sat still for so long that I though he was in need of help. I got right down next to him and was face to face to see if he was conscious. I was so convinced that a bird wouldn't allow this so I filled a seedling tray with fallen leaves, put on some gloves and placed him in the 'nest' he stayed for a minute and then, to my surprise, hoped out and flew away. Before returning to sit next to me at the table. I'd been fixing to chew up some worms and spit it down his throat! :lol: Lovely time.

bN5M31rh.jpg

Its always neat to see you garden through someone elses eyes. Especially that of an artists! We'll all be better next year :) 

This season since I was forced to grow a lot by seed and only had so much variety of seeds (since they come 50-200 per pack) and since Im in partial shade, lots of people seemed to doubt my little garden. No one said anything of course, it was revealed in the MANY comments with a certain lilt to the voice once I was in bloom "Whoa! Your garden is so full and green! Look at it - you must have added store bought seedlings since I was here last?!" :lol:

Gonna start chopping down the community garden once the suns up.

Compost all the way! What about you folks?

Neighbours are even encouraged to use our system with household food scraps. 

Other years it’s full of weeds, so I don’t use the produced soil. Also, I’m sure that meat and dairy bits get in there.

i asked the compost team if they “run it hot?” But they didn’t know what that meant and instead of asking they said “just like what ever temperature it is outside.”:lol:

... so maybe a workshop next season.

Yeah, maybe a work shop next season, lol.

6 hours to cut up all the apples and run them through the crusher.  Tomorrow we run them through the press and I guess make the cider.  Next year, I'm bringing little George and his family and taking off on a cruise.  :lol:  It would have been way cheaper just to buy the cider.

Got an e-mail to put the greenhouse opening for Feb 15th on my calendar.  Er, I don't have a 2020 calendar yet.

Edited by cineater

18 hours ago, cineater said:

Yeah, maybe a work shop next season, lol.

6 hours to cut up all the apples and run them through the crusher.  Tomorrow we run them through the press and I guess make the cider.  Next year, I'm bringing little George and his family and taking off on a cruise.  :lol:  It would have been way cheaper just to buy the cider.

Got an e-mail to put the greenhouse opening for Feb 15th on my calendar.  Er, I don't have a 2020 calendar yet.

What cost the money to make cider? Did you need to buy the press?

i bet your email has a Calendar function? Or your computer or phone? I was excited to turn my Star Wars calendar to October and find Queen Amadala 

i can see my breathe and barely move my fingers to type, it’s so cold. It’s still hot summer weather in the south of the province. But we have more farms within our city limits than all the other cities combined, so I will stay here.

This guy has everything for making cider and wine but we've had six people spending hours doing this.  I could have just ran into the store and bought a bottle. :lol:

Today we ran the crushed apples through the presses.  The juice went into big bottles to sit until Friday when we put it into little bottles and then can freeze it.  I was drinking the cider as it came out of the press, good stuff.  I'm all sticky but I smell really good. :lol:

Dropped the library forms by.  The receptionist comes to the gardens and I think she's going to push her retiring husband into our training program.  Working all the angles.

Thats how I feel about preserving all this kale! :lol: But at least you survived harvesting them :) 

As you should drink it right from the press fount :headbang::lol:

Im transitioning my grow space and work room for my winter pursuits so its a mess of stacked boxes and gear. Beaker jumps up on the empty grow shelves that he destroyed in Spring each morning, where he calls me to him... through all this mess that I only left a cat path through... and bites me as soon as I finally get there :max: I think its him claiming victory :lol:

I think he's telling you to clean it up, lol.

We got in two dump trucks of leaf mulch today.  It's still fucking 90 out there.  I have tons I need to do too but I'm waiting for the weather to change and plants to die.  Some of those maybe assisted deaths. :lol:

Talked to the president.  He thinks the outdoor classroom is a dead project.  Oh no, we've only just begun to talk about it.  And just when I'm going to take the day off a request comes from a man who's probably 75+ to move some wood over to the extension.  There goes my morning.

Edited by cineater

Oh, haha - you're prolly right! He is the boss after all :lol:

I been collecting leaves from the little garden and taking them to the big garden. Planticide?!?!?!:wow:

Master Gardeners will help me haul shit? Nice!

How do you over winter your perennials?

Over winter has many options, depends on the plant.  Cut back and haul in the house (or whoever's house you can get to take them).  Store the roots in the garage.  Take cutting like I do with the coleus.  Mulch the roots.  Bury them in leaf mulch.  Fortunately most perennials you don't have to do anything with.

Like we need any more piles of wood!  We still have one from somebody's torn down deck we haven't used.  Just when I'm trying to get them over the farmer mentality of piles of shit you may someday use but lose in a pile of weeds, they bring in more shit. :lol:

Thanks. I dont have too many to bring in. Maybe none actually. The lavender is sold as a perennial here but its a lie and Im not gonna try to bring it in again. This aint the south of France. Shoot - I gotta go harvest that now then! Frost last night and likely over night again.

Oh the wood is going to you?! haha - I thought you were helping him haul his own wood from one place to another :lol:

Ever try inoculating the logs and growing some shiitake mushrooms?

This was a deck that was being taken down.  Still good but the people wanted something else.  So we had to go through the lumber, haul it up a hill to the truck and then over to the gardens for storage.  6.5 hours and I've had my ass kicked.  The guy will be 80 next week.  Glad to see Marsha showed up and we had other folks showing up for some of it (not the up the hill part, lol).  Not sure what we are using it for at the gardens but we have to take all the nails and screws out of it before we can use it.

No mushrooms.  We're cooler today, thank god, but we are so dry.  My next planned day off is Sunday.  The lead for the native garden has shut her team down for the season so I'm done there.  My beds, all 11 of them, have to come down and get mulched.  I'm just getting started.  Not to mention the home front, the side project and mom's.  I'm just getting started.

Maybe they just needed longer.  Like that blue color.

I walked away with a half a gallon of apple cider, lol.  It was kind of fun filling up the jugs.  You use a long tube with a wand that when pressed down lets the stuff flow.  It was really weird having everybody chant suck, suck when I was trying to get the tube started. :lol:  Please, I've got this.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: "suck, suck, suck!" 

As a home brewer familiar with the equipment Im surprised that if you had the auto-off bottling wand that you didnt also have a siphon. I think someone may have been pulling your leg... 

One gallon for all your efforts?!?! Lord love a duck! Sounds fun though.

My carrots dont get more time. Frost last night and plant killer frost coming tonight. :( The season is officially over minus my kale which can tolerate frost and ice. Already planning my indoor winter 'crops' - cilantro, basil, sage and kale. With experiments with hops, yarrow and black beans. :) Also hopefully a large mushroom operation.