Gardening

Gracii Guns

You're growing all that indoors?  No lettuce?  Er, aren't you tired of kale yet? :lol:

I've got tons to do.  Suddenly in a big hurry to wrap it up.  Don't think we have as much time as the rest of the folks seem to think.  Fortunately we are back to normal temps.

I should grow lettuce instead... but I still have kale seeds. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :lol:

The yarrow, hops and black beans are an experiment, but the other stuff is a go for sure. I always intend to do a big mushroom project but typically it ends up as small or nonexistent. Hope this is the year!

Same, no one here is prepping their bed for winter. And its basically winter. Snow has fallen in out neighbouring province. I just go the last of the herbs chopped and on the drying racks. Emptied the racks that had various dried herbs all into one jar. And that will be the flavour of my sausage this year :lol: I am so done with this gardening season! :lol:

Sheesh - your gonna get your tree dedicated soon. You'll be part of the tree tour! :lol: Over how many seasons is that?

not sure if the "want you more than need you" or "Need you more than want you" line fits my thoughts on my garden better 

Yeah, I'm way past 1000 hours over all.  The 700 is just this year.  So you'd think I'd remember not to take my shoes off in the house after playing in the leaf mulch. :lol:

The wheelbarrow got my shin, sore and bloody.  I'm hitting the couch, fuck it.  I just have to bring the houseplants in before I go to bed.  The grocery store can wait one more day besides there is a large plant on my front seat.  I got it in there, I can get it out.

Never mind, all done, even took my coleus clippings.

Edited by cineater

I have a bunch of research I need to do.  My special project is vegetable gardening in containers.  The pantry beds are looking at a theme for urban gardening so they should go well together.  We're actually going to be very busy next year.  The iris beds get a complete makeover and we are building something in the prairie.  The pergola is getting a new floor and the stones from that will be dispersed throughout the garden.  Plus I'm making a new green path. 

Fuck, what have I gotten myself into? :lol:  I'm only the inspiration behind 4 of those projects.  The other 3 went there on their own.  Or it could just be seeing what I'm up too kicked them into gear.  I do babble a lot when I'm up and moving. :lol:  Er, wait, I did go over and help him get all that wood for the floor and did tell Marsha she could have the stones for that project she wanted.  Plus I'm pretty sure I was talking about container gardening for those patio people before they came up with the urban gardening theme.  I've got my fingers in everybody's pie.

The kid is taking my small vacation.  She's off to Jamaica for the week.  'My landscape is empty when she is gone.'

Edited by cineater

It really is a big change when all of a sudden gardening tasks disappear. Oh and your kid will be away too :(

You've got lots of interesting reading to do by the sounds of it. Thats a double edged sword, all your great ideas :lol: Plus your energy for other peoples ideas!:lol:

Im an aspiring curd-nerd y'know? So given I wasnt able to get my mushroom CSA program together I might focus on dairy. Yogurt, kefir, ricotta, cheese curds, herbed cheese balls, cottage cheese, herbed cream cheese, dips, chocolate milk syrup, creme fraiche, classic Christmas cheese balls, stuffed mushrooms. So I can use up my herbs and the few mushrooms I will have in excess. Plus I've grown more berries then I will ever know what to do with so I can do cheesecakes and strawberry milk. 

Then if all goes well, a firm cheese will be ready for the last box of the program. That would be my first hard cheese!!

And Im thinking that Id do strained yogurt spreads, which would leave me with lots of fresh whey that I can use to carbonate sodas with, for the box (sage, lemon balm, berry flavours).

That sounds good and I'm not even hungry. :lol:  You need to move to the farm.

They just cleared customs.  Now if they stay away from the tainted booze, it will all be fine.  Except hurricanes, forgot to check on those.  God, you never stop worrying about your kids.

By the way, what can you bring into Jamaica that's an issue for customs?  It's what you bring out everybody is worried about. :lol:

Edited by cineater
  • Haha 1

I hope they have a spectacular and safe time :headbang: And I hope they are up on their shots :lol: Mmmmm some jerk chicken sounds real good right about now :drool:

I would love to move to a small scale homestead! And here I could potentially do so within the city limits which really appeals to me. Can't happen soon enough. Hens, maybe a goat. Harvest solar. Food forests, fields, hopefully a spring. All sort of natives to support our pollinators. Id hope to barter with neighbours.

That does sound good and I just had Brian's Chicken at pinball.  You kick enough ass at pinball they name a chicken dish after you. :lol:

Read your Mother Earth News, plenty of people out there homesteading.  This one family I knew only had a spigot in the house for water.  Had to heat up all their water on the stove for baths and everything.  Fanciest outhouse I had ever seen.  Every time they got enough money for indoor plumbing they adopted another kid and had to start saving again.

I'm working on my second gardening blog.  The first one was one page.  I'm up to three.  I'll send it your way when I get it done. 

She is 1605 miles away according to the find friends app.  Didn't know that worked that far away.

Edited by cineater

You must have a chicken dish named after you, then? I think nine would be strictly laying hens, but one never knows until the blade is in hand I suppose.

mother earth news is definitely a main source of inspiration! Although it also makes it kind of intimidating to see how much goes into it all. The springs tap isn’t outside, but right inside their home? That’s so cool!! Wonder why that’s not more common? Nice and secure, private and accessible.

that is so powerful - they lived simply and adopted kids with the available ‘wealth’. Wow. That makes me smile a lot.

looking forward to seeing the new blog post! Did the first one go off with a bang?

really too bad about that massive up rising in Jamaica, eh?

j/k :lol::lol: sorry! No uprising!:lol: she’ll be back home soon :) 

Edited by soon

:lol: bastard!  Just saw the view from the hotel room, breathtaking.  The blog went out.  I'll check later in the week to see how many hits it got.  But it's not very professional looking, imo.  It's just kind of plain.  I have friends and I can take some library classes on it.  I will get better.

So it's time to clean myself up.  I have to start doing all that girly stuff for the mother of the bride.  I know it's not until June but I've so let go of that rope. :lol:  My last big event before death and who looks good dead anyway?  One last clean up and then I can go back to just natural me.

I bet the more blog posts there are the more people will remember to check it out! Looked good to me! But, yeah, theres lots of options from classic wordpress through "drag and drop" squarespace. All sorts of design and layout options.

One last clean up... Im not sure how to respond to that quite honestly. Is it morbid and sad, or a beautiful thing? :lol: Its going to be such a beautiful and special day.

Speaking of cleaning up. I dropped of some of the harvest to a friend and was gifted this end of harvest gift :facepalm:

hP2XOkZ.jpg

T4aBIfr.jpg

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol::fuckyou::rofl-lol::thumbsdown::rofl-lol:

He could have at least given them to me when I so desperately needed them! :lol:

Edited by soon

:lol:  We do go all out when gardening.  At least he didn't greet you in the yard with the hose and a scrub bucket.

They confused my daughter with another couple and put the honeymoon sign on her door.  Weddings are always just a lot of hustling on the day of.  I would have preferred she eloped here.  We could have went, had a beach wedding and came back and had a party for them.  But we're doing the big wedding.  I hope it's all she dreams. 

My hairdresser is talking short and sassy.  Yeah that's me in personality but I am not fucking with my hair.  Those hairstyles require work in the morning.  I'm already in enough trouble at death with cutting my hair but then I have a few complaints of my own!  I think it's best just to let me through the gates and point the direction of the gardens. :lol:

Off to mom's to clean up her yard.

Haha! This true and it was freezing out! I am glad to know that these exist for next season though! As will be fellow bus riders :lol:

Oh, did your daughter get any extra perks for the confusion that they were honeymooning? I never heard a Mom calling for their child to elope - thats cool! Seems like no matter how much the world changes most people still want that big wedding thing. I even know people who oppose the institution of marriage who have "Life Partnering Celebrations" where they have a big wedding - wedding dresses tuxedos and all - but they just dont sign a certificate. If I cant land a wife Im just gonna ask everyone to attend my party and bring me toasters and big money cheques :lol:

Your hairdresser had a yer to convince you though! I just buzz my own hair to keep it simple too. My buyer keeps running out of batteries before Im done though :lol:

Yeah, we're all doing a big rack up and such at the apartment today.

Holy shit, my friend finally took all her plants home.  And then she showed me the layout she wants.  Makes no sense.  It's a side triangle or rather half the square from corner to corner.  She ready to plant it next week.  Good because they need to get in the ground.  And oh by the way, she is converting from propane to natural gas and the city is going to run a line right through where she wants to plant.  WTF?  Her house, we're doing it her way.

The boyfriend got stung by a bee and his foot is swelling up.  Of course everything is closed so no benadryl.  Fortunately he's not allergic.  Heard more from her since she got there than I have in the last week. :lol:  Not much happens on the islands at night if you don't go clubbing.

Plant a garden just to dig it up to put a gas line through?? Have fun with that one! 

Oh that sucks for him. Its nice that shes in so much contact with you... because youd be too worried other wise. 

I am so antsy this morning with so few garden chores left! And it doesnt help that these shower wipes make me smell like cucumber :lol:

Okay, cucumber is interesting, I suppose. :lol:  We laid out my green path only to find out we were out of grass killer.  Delaid one more week.

My friend apologized to me for snapping at me but then proceeded to tell me what about my behavior justified that. :lol:  I just come in here and bitch to you about her behaviors that annoy me.  

I'm ready to get started wrapping up but everything is hanging in there.  Not looking good but not bad enough to take out.

I dont wear cucumber well, I dont think :lol: We might have snow by the time you lay your green path!

'Sorry, not sorry' pisses me off!!!! :lol:

I could wrap my entire year today but I will putter so I can garden again tomorrow. Time to make tinctures and tempeh!