Gardening

Gracii Guns

We don't get that much snow.  It's usually gone within the day or the next.  I'm one of those who likes to shovel snow. :lol:

I've found myself lately surrounded by people with kind of bossy, negative attitudes.  They tell me I'm too enthusiastic and talk too much. :lol:  You know, dream killers.   

It’s easy to like shoveling snow when you barely have to do it! :lol: I just hope I can get to the foot hills to enjoy the autumn before first snow.

i know dream killers for sure. Happiness killers as well. Some people who will take aim to fuck with a joyful person. 

I love all your plans, ideas and aspirations. It’s baffling that anyone wouldn’t be into them. 

“... if the devil doesn’t like it he can sit in a tack!” :lol:

Yeah I seem to attract those people.  Thing is while they are wishing me ill intents, I've already set things in motion. :lol:  Talked to the library today and they are definitely interested in scheduling some garden tours.  

No gardening today.  We got rain but not a lot.  Tomorrow we turn really cold for a minute.  We discuss the outdoor classroom tomorrow.

Well, the discussion tabled the outdoor classroom but gave us permission to start the outdoor education with the existing stuff we have.  The guy in charge of us called for us to write up our goals for the chapter.  Which I've been pushing for.  The group in charge just wants to float along without looking at what we are doing.  Of course, they all went okay but didn't talk about it or decide when they would talk about it.  The girl who has been blocking a lot of stuff is done as of March so that clears the way for a lot of stuff to happen.  And everybody pretty much acknowledge that my friend is a pain in their ass too, lol.

I actually feel pretty good about the meeting.  With our guy now calling for the goals, the door is now wide open for what I'm trying to do with the demo gardens.  I've got a plan and people who support it.  If it's something that works :lol:, it should put the demo gardens out there as meeting its goal of education and I've given it worth and back in the hearts of the group.

Now, what to do with that fucking pile of wood we just brought over?  The guy who wanted it now thinks he'll just put down a concrete floor.  And the outdoor classroom is on hold so we don't need it for that.  (We will next fall but in the meantime I have to look at it.)

It's turned cold and wet here.  I wussed out and turned on the heater.  I'm hitting the couch.  I have an article on the newest invasive species, jumping worms, sure to add a little creepiness to my October day.  1.5 to 8 inches long with behavior that is described as crazy.  Great, I may give up gardening if I'm going to be threaten by worms. :lol:

Jumping worms!?!?! :wow: No thanks!

So the bureaucracy drags along. Glad its at least playing to the way you anticipated. And that obstacles will be removed. But what a pain. It is great news though!

Im still sick and miserable so no gardening once again. Now its a point of pride - I dont want to be the last serious gardener to clean up my bed :lol:

I have to bring in my chives from the balcony. I dint really have anyplace to let the bugs wander off, so Zacchaeus will love nibbling on those chives.

Enjoy your Coleus while they last :) 

Roast beef with garden herbs today!

There was some weird shit in that meeting too, it sounds like our head guy wants us to do more classes.  But then he started talking about the university wanted us to use a certain program for tickets.  And that program would keep $10 per ticket, not for the university but just for using the program.  WTF, do you think we are GNR?  Our classes were $15 when we did them.  We bring in enough money from the plant sale we don't have to sell our classes for income.  He's checking into it but I wouldn't even give the university $10.  

Sorry, you're still sick.  We had a light frost last night.  I pulled my Zinnias, Eggplants and Bee Balm at the garden.  Kept running into snakes curled up in my beds.  They weren't appreciating me taking off their covers that early in the morning but they were too cold to move.  Most my beds have their winter mulch on them.  Just need for the rest of the plants to die back.  At home, I threw out some fertilizer and am waiting for that first killing frost.  I normally just mow everything down with the lawnmower but it will be a while before that happens.

The kid turned the heater on at her house from Jamaica.  How cool is that?  What side of Canada are you on?  Put up my Halloween lights too.  Fall ready.

Edited by cineater

That  really is weird about the ticket vendor. Huh, almost brings to mind the LV and stub hub conspiracy stuff. Wouldn't have seen that coming.

Thanks, still sick. Trying to sleep all night felt like an athletic endeavour but having stuck to it... I still feel terrible. :lol:

You pulled your perennial Bee Balm? Making room for new designs next season? I like to make eggplant into bobaganoosh :) I am not accustomed to find snakes in the beds! I guess you dont have any venomous ones?

The 'internet of things' kind of terrifies me tbh:nervous:But that would be cool to behold! Im just across from northern NY State. Vermont and New Hampshire are pretty much just as close too. My heads fuzzy from being sick and Im blanking on your state? Its on the tip of my tongue.

Its Thanksgiving here but Im too sick to attend. 

You've got jumping worms: http://ulster.cce.cornell.edu/environment/invasive-pests/jumping-worm

I only cut back the Bee Balm.  It could have stayed longer but it was blocking my Aromatic Aster that is just beautiful right now.  Most stuff I cut out to leave the roots in ground.  They frown on me using the lawn mowers as a brush hog.  Could have been done in 15 minutes, lol.  These were little black snakes of some kind, yellow racing stripe.  Our mean snakes are in the water down here.  I'm in the St Louis area, close enough to the middle of the US (somewhere in the middle of Kansas).

I got over the whole new technology thing with the fax machine. :lol:  I was totally intimidated and untrusting of that when it first came out.  My motto now, is I will not be defeated by technology.  The question is whether I want to fuck around with learning it.

You should be getting better by now.  Call the doctor tomorrow, you need drugs.

Let me tell you about the green path installation. :lol:  You try to let everybody play and it just gets fucked up.

We marked out a nice curvy path.  Kevin was going to spray a 4 inch border on each side but we're out of round up.  Okay, while he runs to the store I put down the fertilizer.  They are out of round up at the store.  Okay fine, I'll just pick up a bottle that afternoon and do it myself.  But no, he ordered some and will get it next week.  He's into it and wants to play.  Okay, we'll wait but it's getting really close to when I can install the sedum.  Then he decides the markers won't stay up the week so he's going to mow the path lower than the existing grass.  Okay fine, but I look over and he's use a bagger on the mower.  Did you just suck up all my fertilizer?  And he's pretty much scalped the grass.

All things considered, the path looks really cool.  I may have to seed in the spring and might not get down the sedum or get it to grow this fall but I can replant in the spring.  Little more work for me but I'm liking how it's coming out.

I forgot, we had a creeper yesterday.  Guy shows up and he's hanging too long.  I go over and check him out.  Stands too close to me and no real reason he's there.  Mentions his wife, yeah that don't make you safe bud.  And he's taking way too long to get around the gardens.  He disappears around back and the next time I see him, I'm wondering why he's still here and what was he doing out back all that time.

Edited by cineater

1 hour ago, cineater said:

You've got jumping worms: http://ulster.cce.cornell.edu/environment/invasive-pests/jumping-worm

I only cut back the Bee Balm.  It could have stayed longer but it was blocking my Aromatic Aster that is just beautiful right now.  Most stuff I cut out to leave the roots in ground.  They frown on me using the lawn mowers as a brush hog.  Could have been done in 15 minutes, lol.  These were little black snakes of some kind, yellow racing stripe.  Our mean snakes are in the water down here.  I'm in the St Louis area, close enough to the middle of the US (somewhere in the middle of Kansas).

I got over the whole new technology thing with the fax machine. :lol:  I was totally intimidated and untrusting of that when it first came out.  My motto now, is I will not be defeated by technology.  The question is whether I want to fuck around with learning it.

You should be getting better by now.  Call the doctor tomorrow, you need drugs.

I dont have worms!! :lol: Neat article, thanks

Oh I see. Im putting some Bee Balm in next year. I can somewhat infer what a "brush hog" is but Ive not seen one. What is it?

We have no venomous snakes in my direct vicinity but we do have a small feral population of Black Widow spiders. My neighbour got bit and was hospitalized.

Nothing wrong with a good ol fax machine :lol:

Okay I will go to Dr, thanks. Wont be till tuesday because tomorrow is a holiday and I dont want to log up emergency unless I really need it then I will go. Even my teeth hurt!

40 minutes ago, cineater said:

Let me tell you about the green path installation. :lol:  You try to let everybody play and it just gets fucked up.

We marked out a nice curvy path.  Kevin was going to spray a 4 inch border on each side but we're out of round up.  Okay, while he runs to the store I put down the fertilizer.  They are out of round up at the store.  Okay fine, I'll just pick up a bottle that afternoon and do it myself.  But no, he ordered some and will get it next week.  He's into it and wants to play.  Okay, we'll wait but it's getting really close to when I can install the sedum.  Then he decides the markers won't stay up the week so he's going to mow the path lower than the existing grass.  Okay fine, but I look over and he's use a bagger on the mower.  Did you just suck up all my fertilizer?  And he's pretty much scalped the grass.

All things considered, the path looks really cool.  I may have to seed in the spring and might not get down the sedum or get it to grow this fall but I can replant in the spring.  Little more work for me but I'm liking how it's coming out.

Maybe theres something other than roundup to use that is more pollinator friendly? :) 

Sucks to have set backs though. Picturing it and it looks beautiful. Gad its coming together!

Brush hogs are heavy duty machines meant to go through thicker stuff.  Generally take down little trees and shrubs.

The Round Up is my fault.  I've been telling people we are getting away from that but when you want the plant killed, including the roots, I think that's about your only choice if you want it gone now.

My side project is on my last nerve, again.  We planned last week we would take care of it this week and now her time is booked up.  I could hear her husband in the background saying haha that she couldn't get to it.  You don't haha it when you're talking live plants in my book.  Just give me back the plants and I'll find them a home.

You Master Gardeners have all the good toys! 

Yeah, wasnt trying to shame y'all. Hopefully we can find suitable replacements soon!

Im with you - these plants need our care especially at this time of year. All that hard work to care for them all season long to then just turn your back on them :facepalm: Like gardening can be a hobby, and yes lots of garnering stuff is tossed into the compost, but its wrong to view plants as disposable in the greatest sense of the word. Grrr. And that attitude doesn't respect all that you've put into it either. 

Sill no gardening for me. Beaker is happy to have me home and I beleive he is 'taking care of me' as he sits over me as I rest, holding vigil almost. :heart: My fever broke and Im in less pain today. Its neat how my cold waited until I was harvested and had all the herbs drying. Some of the herbs are now ready to make healing teas today. I love being part of these natural cycles!!!

Glad you're better and you've got a cat to watch over you.  I don't give people plants who treat them like that.  She'll be finding her own plants from here on.

I'm in clean up mode today around the house.  Getting all my yard stuff in and straighten up.  Still working on that garage. :lol:  The kid is on her way home.  I'm thinking it's my turn to head out.  I need a break from all these people.

I made it over to harvest my lavender. Now its just kale and perennials in there. The lavender was starting to flower so I left some of it in on the off chance it survives winter. Sat there with teeth chattering from the cold air and sickness, planing out next years bed :lol:

Maybe that garage will always give you something to do? :lol: Im glad your kid will be home soon :) Where will you flee master gardener madness too?

That's a good question.  Where would I go and when?  The phone calls haven't stopped today but I'm ignoring them.  Filled up the trash can so I can stop cleaning the garage.  I put all the coleus in the wagon. I can just pull them in and out of the garage.  I made Marsha a flat of cuttings from those.  She can over winter them for the sale.  I'm done for the day.  I'm going to couch travel, maybe that will give me some ideas.

I hope your couch travels took you to exciting places. Thats a great idea for wheeling the coleus in and out of garage.

Im still really sick as it turns out :( had my own little thanksgiving meal with herbs form the garden. I just want to curl up on a mossy rock deep in a summer time boreal forest with some sweet spring water trickling nearby... but the clinic is a little more of a waiting room, chemical smells and grumpy people :lol:

Never got there. :lol:  Just one more thing to do and a few hours later.....  I'm waiting for the trashman so I can finish off the garage.  Kid made it home.

Did you go to the clinic?  I know when I'm that sick, I don't feel well enough to deal with the medical stuff.  I know when I had migraines the doctor always wanted to know why I didn't go to the ER.  I was in too much pain to get off the bathroom floor!  Seriously didn't think I could deal with it to get to the hospital.

The garden people are making me nuts.  Now instead of building a pergola for the outdoor classroom she wants to switch to a platform with shade sails.  And she wants to build the platform now.  Okay but cut down that field so we can see what we have to work with.  No more plans until that shit comes down and weren't we going to burn it?  Then there's the budget.  Who's charging this shit to my funds. Take it out of your own funds or at least ask me before you go spending my money! All this shit better turn into compost. :lol:

I have been invited to make bird seed wreaths with some flower group.  I'm going, I'll probably join their flower cult. 

Edited by cineater

Im glad the kid is home safe :) Hope they had an amazing time.

No I havent gone to Dr. Just as you say - I hurt too much to get myself there. I ordered some medicine that should arrive today, though. People are coming by with soup so hopefully it wont get to the point where they find Sweet Cornbread eating my face off. I just better be mobile in time to vote!

There should be a Master Gardeners tv drama in the vein of ER? :lol: I sure hope that shit does turn into compost. :lol:

Oh, that flower cult sounds nice. Bird seed wreath, thats pretty cool. Im so lucky to see all the birds I do here. 

Geez, the guy who is responsible for bringing over all that wood and now doesn't want it, is making making waves about using it for the outdoor classroom.  My partner in crime is feeling "very tired".  And my side project today tells me an hour after we were suppose to get together she hasn't finished the project she was suppose to do yesterday.  I just stayed away from everybody today.  Finished the garage and slipped up to the garden to get a couple cars full of leaf mulch for home.  Tomorrow is a workday at the garden, oh joy.

They sound like a bunch of punk ass flower jockeys! :lol: You gotta start hosing some of them down :shrugs::lol:

I hope todays work brings joy! Congrats on finishing the garage.

Thanks to all those who texted me at 6am to see if Im feeling better... I was sleeping and your texts woke me up. How about come by at a reasonable hour and change the kitty litter?? :angry:

LtwWwdBh.jpg

:lol:

Edited by soon

I sent you the picture of the damage to the little hoop house.  The plastic that covers all those hoops was ripped to shreds last night by high winds.  Not a biggie as it is scheduled to be replaced next month but still a shocker to see that first thing in the morning.  The plastic was already pretty well dry rotted and had a few holes.  The big green house is fine.  But why not add some more to my to do list for the day. :lol:

Roundup was going down when I left on the green path.  I couldn't watch.  Cold and cloud covered out there today.  Went to lunch with the group.  So I'm not the only one being driven nuts by the indecisions, change of plans and lack of shit getting done. :lol:  

Any better today?  Cleaning the cat box is not an option.  It's a have too.  You don't want the problems that come from that.

Oh no! Thats too bad! It looks so sad in the pictures. Glad it was already basically signed off on. Yeah, just go fix that now too :lol: So cool to get more of a glimpse at the larger garden. Its so well put together and inviting. Its beautiful.

You are not alone!! Thats for sure. Im prolly just grumpy too from being sick, though :lol:

I finally slept a little bit last night. And I think Im a bit better today, thanks. But Im definitely feeling better because Im not used to cough syrup and I took some and now Im flying! I think Ive posted a months worth of posts already so far today :facepalm::lol: Like just my brains is wound up. Head ache though and no appetite. I should couch travel but Im deep into Dragons Den, which is our Shark Tank - a tv show with investors hearing pitches from entrepreneurs. But like, as a sport almost. 

Thanks for prompting me about the litter. Very good point. I will muster the will to at least give it a shallow 'once over.' And someone can take it out this evening.

Edited by soon

You start seeing the pictures of the place and you can see why I get all crazy about it.  I have the privilege of being there first thing in the morning or later in the evening when the rest of the world is somewhere else.  Those quiet times when the animals come visit.  I know the gardens need to be more to be of value to the group but if they just stay as they are I'm perfectly at home there.

Side project looks like an issue yet again.  It's going to be cold and wet on Monday when we were going to do it. 

And it's looking like we are going to start growing Lantana and Rosemary in November.  Marsha was explaining we can't do cuttings because they both have white fly issues.  While you can spray for that in the green house you don't really want that in your home.  To get them up from seed and big enough for the plant sale at the end of April, we have to start them in November.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Kevin broke the mower today. :lol:  Wasn't me this time.

Edited by cineater